Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,601 members, 7,823,615 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:26 PM

Garlic - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Garlic (3375 Views)

Tips On Vigina Yeast Infection And How To Treat It With Garlic / Garlic Health Benefits- Why You Should Eat Raw Garlic Daily / How To Treat A Vaginal Infection With A Clove Of Garlic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Garlic by Cayon(f): 2:26am On May 27, 2008
GARLIC

GARLIC IS a favourite of thrifty creative cooks. A single good-sized head is potent enough to flavour a week's worth of dishes, ­ everything from soup to stir-fry, meat, chicken, pasta sauce, vinaigrette, croutons, and butter for garlic bread.

Benefits of garlic

1. Decreases the risk of cardiovascular disease by:

a) lowering blood cholesterol.

b) lowering blood triglycerides.

c) thinning the blood.

d) lowering high blood pressure.

e) increasing circulation in the limbs.

2. Decreases cold and flu symptoms; assists in fighting off infections by:

increasing the activity of various immune cells in the body.

3. Protects the nervous system:

Memory-enhancing effects of aged garlic extract have been shown using laboratory models. Anti-ageing effects have been shown in animal studies.

4. Demonstrates antimicrobial activity:

It has been shown to kill the yeast, Candida, both in test tubes and in living animal models. Applied topically, garlic has demonstrated antibacterial properties.

5. Assists in preventing cancer in humans:

In China and Italy, garlic consumption has been significantly correlated with decreased risk of stomach cancer.

6. Protects the body from toxins by:

a) increasing the activity of enzymes and cells that function to detoxify foreign chemicals.

b) functioning as an antioxidant that destroys free radicals, which have been suggested to contribute to heart disease and cancer, as well as the ageing process.

c) defending cells from radiation damage.

For further information contact the Caribbean Food and Nutrition Institute (CFNI)

1 Like

Re: Garlic by Nobody: 2:35am On May 27, 2008
You forgot to mention the physical characteristics of Garlic and its effect in our individual, personal life.

The reason why most prescription of Garlic are blended with honey.
Re: Garlic by Cayon(f): 2:38am On May 27, 2008
Would you do me the honors, please kiss kiss
chimithen:

You forgot to mention the physical characteristics of Garlic and its effect in our individual, personal life.

The reason why most prescription of Garlic are blended with honey.
Re: Garlic by krama(m): 6:06am On Jun 05, 2008
I detest the smell of garlic! embarassed
Re: Garlic by ikamefa(f): 1:46am On Jun 06, 2008
used to hate to even see garlic, when am food shopping used to avoid it like a plague!

but now haaaaaaaa! i guess my taste buds have adjusted  and a once in a life time gastronomical experience  has changed everything

i guess garlic ain't soo bad ,the smell et all   wink  grin grin
Re: Garlic by HRhotness(f): 1:47am On Jun 06, 2008
what do u do about the smell tho. . . . really cant stand it sad
Re: Garlic by ikamefa(f): 2:17am On Jun 06, 2008
HR.hotness:

what do u do about the smell tho. . . . really can't stand it sad

if you must use garlic in tablet/caplet forms, buy the odourless ones ( medications oh abeg)

if you can't stand the smell that means you can't cook with the natural garlic cheesy
Re: Garlic by sistajay(f): 9:20am On Jun 06, 2008
Garlic, can't live without it, its one a day for me.
Re: Garlic by tglaz(m): 12:29pm On Jun 12, 2008
garlic does all these
Re: Garlic by stnonymus(m): 2:10pm On Jun 12, 2008
tglaz:

garlic does all these

Yes it does.Those authentic claims you can verify from the internet.Thats why people always give you an unbelievable stare when you tell them that a nutritional supplement has multiple benefits.
Re: Garlic by sagacious(f): 12:08pm On Aug 12, 2008
I tried it sometime and it work for me, it's a very good antibotic , all i can say about garlic.
Re: Garlic by Bestglo(f): 4:05pm On Aug 12, 2008
I wish i can take my mind off the smell and try it too
Re: Garlic by madamL(f): 11:35am On Oct 22, 2009
What's the use eating it and living for a million years when everyone will be keeping away from you due to the stench?
Re: Garlic by Gamine(f): 11:36am On Oct 22, 2009
The smell is only from one part of the bulb
if you remove that, the garlic is smell-free .lol
Re: Garlic by funmiode: 1:08pm On Oct 22, 2009
Eat fresh tomatoes immediately after eating garlic or u rub ur hands with the tomatoes to save u from the smell
Re: Garlic by africhika(f): 11:15pm On Oct 23, 2009
garlic is delicious.
i even like the smell. very sweet when sauteed in olive oil
Re: Garlic by skybeauty(f): 2:03pm On Oct 29, 2009
yea garlic is very nice though i dont like the smell but i take like capsule ie using water to drink it down. its nice sha
Re: Garlic by agathamari(f): 7:05pm On Oct 30, 2009
did you know that durring ww2 when they were low on penicilin they would place a clove of garlic into the bullet wounds. it is a natural aniseptic
Re: Garlic by Oluschenco(m): 3:42pm On Nov 18, 2009
Can i take Garlic like acapsule without chewing it.
Re: Garlic by luv2talk(m): 11:38pm On Nov 18, 2009
9ice one, thanks for the lesson
Re: Garlic by MCLOVIN: 6:01pm On Nov 19, 2009
How many remember the south african health minister who was askd to resign for asking hiv patients to eat garlic to combat the dx.?
Garlic is apowerful anti microbial it
kils fungi viruses bacteria its also anti tumor, a pain reliever, appetite stimulant
Its great for
Asthma
High BP
Cough, even been touted to kill TB bug
Sickle Cell
Constipation
blood detox and more,
The only problem with garlic is it needs to be eaten raw for any meaningful effect.
Another problem is garlic has been blamed by some researchers to cause disynchronisation of left and right cerebral hemispheres ie it causes clumsimess and loss of coordination. Im not sure if dats true.
But the active ingredient Allicin is known to be toxic to every cell in the body even nerve cells. But it doesnt stop me from eating the stuff.
Re: Garlic by olelle: 6:15pm On Nov 25, 2009
I have problem eating it raw. So I try to eat it raw with something else. It's very "stinging" when eating it raw.
Re: Garlic by olelle: 6:29pm On Nov 25, 2009
I have problem eating it raw. So I try to eat it raw with something else. It's very "stinging" when eating it raw.
Re: Garlic by goodhunte(m): 6:29pm On Nov 27, 2009
to clean your hands from garlic smell , rub your fingers on a stainless steel spoon under running water.
Re: Garlic by nigboy(m): 10:10pm On Oct 15, 2011
Read more benefits of Garlic. The benefits of eating garlic are really enormous

(1) (Reply)

The World's First Plastic Surgery (pics) / Are Apples In Nigeria Safe For Consumption? / Pap production, Sales & Supply in Lagos Nigeria: +2348034868990

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.