Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,845 members, 7,813,854 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:51 PM

Should Churches Be Paying Tax. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Churches Be Paying Tax. (1258 Views)

Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? / Should Students Be Paying Tithes. / Should We Tithe Before Or After Paying Tax? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by segyemaro(m): 10:56am On Jul 27, 2013
The way churches are springing up from every angle, in most cases you will see there different denominations occupying a two storey building, especially RCCG that plants their parishes like it's going out of service. In some streets you will see up to three RCCG parishes, while in some of these parishes you will see just 15 members, then why all these. I believe if churches are made to pay Tax, it will reduce the idea of where a man takes up a pastoral job to quickly open a church just to be called General Overseer instead of looking for job. So pls let's share ideas. E
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by Afam4eva(m): 11:07am On Jul 27, 2013
Yes, they should.
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by okeyxyz(m): 11:44am On Jul 27, 2013
segyemaro: I believe if churches are made to pay Tax, it will reduce the idea of where a man takes up a pastoral job to quickly open a church just to be called General Overseer instead of looking for job. So pls let's share ideas. E

Afam4eva: Yes, they should.

SMH at nigerians who just make demands\propositions without critical thinking about it. @OP & @Afam, Do you guys really know what the frameworks/basis for taxation are? Do you know what the contractual implications and responsibilities(to the society) of collecting taxes for a peoduct/service rendered to society? It is really silly to declare tax on any organization just for the reason that such organization has money or spends money. When a government collects tax, it is assumed that it is in a joint venture with the organization from whom it collects tax and of which the government's interest is the percentage collected as tax. Also, By collecting tax the government declares the validity/authenticity of whatever products or services(spiritual goods/services in this case) such an organization is selling to the public. So tell me, how does the government validate legally that one is truly born again? that one speaks in authentic tongues? that one has been correctly ministered to by the holy spirit? the gifts of the holy spirit? and other church doctrines? Because whatever the government validates, then the same must be legally enforced by the government and each citizen has a right to go to court to ask for such doctrines to be enforced. I guess you guys have no idea of what goes on legally in some islamic countries then? where convversion from islam to any other religion carries the death penalty, etc.

So next time you come on here to demand tax on religions doctrines, at least consider, research and establish the contractual framework, industrial-quality requirements and criminal implications of making any product/service taxable, because taxation makes such a spiritual product/service legally enforceable. Taxation is not child's play(as you guys clearly think it is).

1 Like

Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by segyemaro(m): 11:58am On Jul 27, 2013
You are sounding like a pastor that the Tax introduction will affect
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by ninja4life(m): 12:04pm On Jul 27, 2013
Well i think paying tithe and offering in d church is not legal na ur choice,but if its made legal it should be taxed and monitored in order to prevent some pot-bellied pastors from relying on church offering and tithe,dat may reduce d number of jet buying pastors.why na dem wahala e no concern me.
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by okeyxyz(m): 12:10pm On Jul 27, 2013
segyemaro: You are sounding like a pastor that the Tax introduction will affect

Do you realize that you have not even attempted to address any of the issues that I'd raised concerning the legal requirements and responsibilities of taxation? Are you so incapable of critically addressing my questions that you are rather trying to derail from them by labeling me a "pastor affected by taxation"? This is a typical case of intellectual impotence. You cannot handle an argument, so you attack the person instead of the arguments.
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by DrummaBoy(m): 12:58pm On Jul 27, 2013
I find it difficult to comprehend why Churches will tax their members through tithes, a kind of tax in the OT, but frown @ giving tax to the government.

Okeyz, sir, the church benefits from the state as much as the individual on the street. So if citizens are taxed on their business why not churches?
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:04pm On Jul 27, 2013
You want to tax a jealous god??!! My hand no dey that one o. Sodom and gomorra will be child's play to what he'll do to the authority that dares take his money.
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:13pm On Jul 27, 2013
okeyxyz, you are full of shit. Government can tax whoever whatever it wants. Infact government can even tax illegal activities. That's what put Al Capone in prison. Not paying tax on his illegal income.

Under good governance, everybody is required to declare all income to tax authorities. Whether taxable or not. Where a government provided amenities that benefit organisations, such organisations are expected to pay a certain contribution towards the funding. Churches benefit from government roads, electricity facilities, etc. That's reason enough to tax them. But they could also be taxed under other rules. When you give money to a church, a financial transaction has taken place. Any governemnt can impose a financial transaction tax if it wants. Gifts over a certain amount, real estates and even bank deposits can even be taxed without the government needing to validate the activity of the proprietors. There are many more but just note that the government can tax if it wants.
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by okeyxyz(m): 2:21pm On Jul 27, 2013
DrummaBoy: I find it difficult to comprehend why Churches will tax their members through tithes, a kind of tax in the OT, but frown @ giving tax to the government.

To start with, church doctrines are voluntary and are not legally binding on anybody what doctrines they choose to believe or not. If you don't agree with doctrines of your church, you have infinite right not to attend that church or not attend any church for that matter. You are only supporting taxation of churches just because your own particular christian doctrines don't preach tithes, rather than because taxation of churches making any logical, moral or legal sense. You are towing the line of the typical, vindictive atheist; who supports any mandate, no matter how evil it is, as long as it disenfranchises religious organizations.

Okeyz, sir, the church benefits from the state as much as the individual on the street. So if citizens are taxed on their business why not churches?

In other words you consider spiritual doctrine and gifts a business?? Are you sure you are a christian?? Because I'd assumed you were one. And if you consider spiritual doctrine a business, where is the documentation that establishes such a product/service an object to be traded? just like every good/service that is traded has documentation that establishes and enforces the validatity of it's claims and features, it's copyrights and ownership rights and license to be traded in a community. These are the rights and protections governments grants to organizations and upon which taxes are collected for this joint venture(between organization and government) through which money is made off it's citizens. These are some of the frameworks for taxation.

And as regards "The church benefits from the govt", every entity benefits from govt, But only profit-making entities have a tax mandate.
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jul 27, 2013
Of course, they should! Every institution whether big or small, under one supreme government is expected to pay tax. That's how an effective government works.
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by okeyxyz(m): 3:22pm On Jul 27, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: okeyxyz, you are full of shit. Government can tax whoever whatever it wants. Infact government can even tax illegal activities. That's what put Al Capone in prison. Not paying tax on his illegal income.

grin grin grin Bros, I am not the typical nairaland member who bows to half-baked knowledge. FYI, Al capone was tried for illegal activities and they couldn't convict him, therefore making his activities legal. So they tried him for not paying taxes on these activities and found him guilty. So your talk of taxing illegal activity is just plain silliness. If you tax, then you make the subject of your taxation legal. Taxation is a seal of approval.

Under good governance, everybody is required to declare all income to tax authorities. Whether taxable or not.

Not everybody, but Everybody who is involved in a business transaction, either as a producer, seller, buyer, employer, employee, etc

Where a government provided amenities that benefit organisations, such organisations are expected to pay a certain contribution towards the funding. Churches benefit from government roads, electricity facilities, etc. That's reason enough to tax them.

Bros, are you so consumed by your hatred of religious organizations that you do no realize that they pay taxes for all the above? on roads, on property, on their employees, local govt taxes, etc. Is this your argument based on ignorance or you are just deliberately suppressing the truth??

But they could also be taxed under other rules. When you give money to a church, a financial transaction has taken place. Any governemnt can impose a financial transaction tax if it wants

A financial transaction does not mean a taxable transaction. What of when you give money to your elderly parents for food? or for their medical treatment? or your son's pocket money?

Note: I have not argued that govt cannot impose tax on any transaction, but i'm asking what are the justifications and implications for these taxes? You are taxing people for their belief systems, it's implication is that you are legally defending and enforcing their belief systems. In other words: you declare that their god exist and all the claims this God makes is true, so if it's true, then it's legally enforceable. Of course you can impose tax on anything, just like you have the right to be stupid.

Gifts over a certain amount, real estates and even bank deposits can even be taxed without the government needing to validate the activity of the proprietors. There are many more but just note that the government can tax if it wants.

So who gets or owns the gifts, the real estate and bank deposits and why are they taxable? It is because every individual is regarded as an economically/business viable legal entity with rights to engage in business, and can use these amounts/values for business transactions. Now do you wanna tax churches(and other non-profits org's, eg: charity orgs) that have expressly declared themselves as non profit organizations? Like I said before, govt can tax anything but it dosen't make it smart or morally or legally sound taxation.
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by okeyxyz(m): 3:33pm On Jul 27, 2013
FrostyZonn: Of course, they should! Every institution whether big or small, under one supreme government is expected to pay tax. That's how an effective government works.

A bit more explanation and citation could demonstrate that you actually know what you are talking about. And No!!, not every institution/transaction is mandated to pay tax. Many are tax exempt.
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 27, 2013
okeyxyz:

A bit more explanation and citation could demonstrate that you actually know what you are talking about. And No!!, not every institution/transaction is mandated to pay tax. Many are tax exempt.

Elaborate on the bold, please.
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 5:05pm On Jul 27, 2013
okeyxyz or should I say, the shit that keeps on giving. When was Al Capone tried for illegal activitied and not convicted making his activites legal? When?!

He was tried once only. For tax evasion. His activities were still considered illegal.

Anyway, you finally agreed with me that a government can tax whoever it wants. Good.
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by segyemaro(m): 6:11pm On Jul 27, 2013
@okeyxyz you beginning to sound like a Tax Consultan, carry go my brother we enjoying your teaching.
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by Orikinla(m): 6:40pm On Jul 27, 2013
Yes.
Our Lord and Messiah Jesus Christ paid tax.
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 27, 2013
Orikinla: Yes.

Good point.
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by segyemaro(m): 8:37pm On Jul 27, 2013
Hmmmm thats a good one, yes our saviour Jesus Christ paid tax.
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by DrummaBoy(m): 8:50pm On Jul 27, 2013
Orikinla: Yes.

Okeyz, answer to this one: Jesus paid tax!

Hmmm?...
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by segyemaro(m): 6:37am On Jul 28, 2013
where is okeyxyz?
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by charlsecy4(m): 10:03am On Jul 28, 2013
The Law waives the burden of tax for religious institutions because they are considered non-profit organisations which engage in charity like feeding the poor, running orphanages, propagating spiritual Message, and so on. If every religious institution had to justify their tax exempt status by showing proof of charitable activities they are engaged in, how many of them would pass the test?

Yes! You re right, but Christ once paid tax from the money they got from the belly of a fish, so what about that?

Pay attention to the words in capital letters >>>

Matthew 17:27;

"But, SO THAT WE MAY NOT BE A CAUSE OF TROUBLE TO THEM, go to the sea, and let down a hook, and take the first fish which comes up; and in his mouth you will see a bit of money: take that, and give it to them for me and you."

My Saviour paid tax because He didn't want to hurt the feelings of the tax collectors. Sometimes, you give up your right just for the sake of peace. He also paid tax in order not to set a confusing precedent to Christians. If Jesus had refused to pay tax, governments would have had a running battle with Christians over tax payments, they would have capitalized on following the example of the Great Teacher.

Remember Romans 13:1;

"Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God...."

However, if the laws of the government go against the Way, Acts 5:29 is applicable:

“.....We must obey God rather than men."

Whether or not a religious institution should be taxed, I think, depends on what they use the donations they receive from people for, not how much they receive.

A religious institution should pay tax if they invest their gift money into taxable concerns. For example, if a church is involved in the production of table water, they should pay tax on the profits of the business. Not taxing a commercial venture owned by a religious institution is not fair because commercial concerns owned by a non-church body or person are taxed. Religious institutions that run taxable businesses should give something back to the government.
Re: Should Churches Be Paying Tax. by segyemaro(m): 2:35pm On Jul 28, 2013
Hmmmm you can say that again

(1) (Reply)

THE END TIME "Same-sex Pairs Shake Up Tango Championship In Argentina" / OLAADEGBU, So COLIN'S Was Right. Sis.linder Ngaujah YOU Relied On To Shut Him Up / Nigeria: Synagogue Building Collapse - Nigerian-american Scholars Want TB Joshua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.