Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,283 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

Advice Needed Urgently! How Useful Is A Masters Degree? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advice Needed Urgently! How Useful Is A Masters Degree? (1532 Views)

Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? / GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? / How Much Do Human Resource Professionals With A Masters Degree Earn? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed Urgently! How Useful Is A Masters Degree? by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:33am On Jul 28, 2013
I'm a graduate of Electrical Engineering from one of the Federal institutions and I just completed my service in June but I've been unemployed since and I'm not getting any good breaks in the labour market with my 2:2 degree. Pretty much all the multinationals and other top employers won't even shortlist me to have a chance of proving myself sadly.

How much would a Masters Degree abroad improve my prospects in the labour market? I ask this because I wouldn't want my retired sponsors wasting millions of naira on a venture that may not prove advantageous. If I applied to the likes of KPMG or Nestle or Mobil who ALWAYS demand a 2:1, would they even consider the Masters degree at all? Please, give it to me straight. I can handle the truth and move on. undecided

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed Urgently! How Useful Is A Masters Degree? by Obi1kenobi(m): 6:37pm On Jul 28, 2013
Please, guys, I need some pointers and a bit of guidance here. Could anyone kindly reply?
Re: Advice Needed Urgently! How Useful Is A Masters Degree? by basisop(m): 7:58pm On Jul 28, 2013
Guy jobs are much available for 2.2 graduates. Do your masters if you want to. Won't you have done your masters even if you graduated with a 1st class?
Re: Advice Needed Urgently! How Useful Is A Masters Degree? by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:17pm On Jul 28, 2013
basisop: Guy jobs are much available for 2.2 graduates. Do your masters if you want to. Won't you have done your masters even if you graduated with a 1st class?

At the moment, there are so many jobs where you'll never be shortlisted with a 2:2. As for the Masters, I honestly wouldn't be bothering with it if I had a decent job. Work experience is valued a lot and perhaps except for the highest managerial positions, a Masters would not be necessary to climb the coporate ladder if you have plenty of work experience. That's what my little experience has taught me so far but I'd be interested in hearing other views.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently! How Useful Is A Masters Degree? by A40(m): 12:19am On Sep 09, 2013
Obi1kenobi: I'm a graduate of Electrical Engineering from one of the Federal institutions and I just completed my service in June but I've been unemployed since and I'm not getting any good breaks in the labour market with my 2:2 degree. Pretty much all the multinationals and other top employers won't even shortlist me to have a chance of proving myself sadly.

How much would a Masters Degree abroad improve my prospects in the labour market? I ask this because I wouldn't want my retired sponsors wasting millions of naira on a venture that may not prove advantageous. If I applied to the likes of KPMG or Nestle or Mobil who ALWAYS demand a 2:1, would they even consider the Masters degree at all? Please, give it to me straight. I can handle the truth and move on. undecided
Not by a lot! A Masters degree would certainly help but would not magically open doors for you by any means. Not with the proliferation of Msc holders in the unemployment market anyway.

Think of a Masters degree as a long-term investment in yourself and not something that might instantly bring in benefits and perhaps you might need to shy away from the multinationals for now and just focus on getting a decent place where you could get some work experience,handle some projects and improve your resume a few professional qualifications here and there wouldn't hurt either

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed Urgently! How Useful Is A Masters Degree? by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:59pm On Sep 13, 2013
A-40:

Not by a lot! A Masters degree would certainly help but would not magically open doors for you by any means. Not with the proliferation of Msc holders in the unemployment market anyway.

Think of a Masters degree as a long-term investment in yourself and not something that might instantly bring in benefits and perhaps you might need to shy away from the multinationals for now and just focus on getting a decent place where you could get some work experience,handle some projects and improve your resume a few professional qualifications here and there wouldn't hurt either
That's appreciated A-40. A few things have changed since I posted this and I was already doing what you suggested. The multinationals as you pointed out are pretty much out of bounds for now.

(1) (Reply)

Ciscon Nig Ltd- There Was Once A Company! / Earn 300k Monthly From The Comfort Of Your Home / 7 Millionaire Habits You Should Adopt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.