Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,952 members, 7,956,588 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:42 PM

Seriously, Should Christianity Be A Means To An End Or An End In Itself? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Seriously, Should Christianity Be A Means To An End Or An End In Itself? (746 Views)

Babies Will End in Hell! - Biblical proof / How Seriously Should We Take PROPHECIES? / What It Means To Be "born Again"! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Seriously, Should Christianity Be A Means To An End Or An End In Itself? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jul 28, 2013
I watched a beautiful movie last night - Schindler's List - that provoked some thoughts in my mind. The film tells the gripping, true-life story of a German businessman and war-time industrialist, who made a fortune before and during World War II, and eventually spent all of his fortune to save more than a thousand Jews from Annihilation. In an act of self-less kindness that I doubt I have ever seen in any so-called Christian or man of God, Oskar Schindler (a member of Hitler's Nazi Party for that matter), sacrificed all he had, and ended up dying wretched after the war, just to save the lives of thousands of Jews, not because he wanted to make heaven, or because he sought any form of reward, but merely because of inherent goodness and kindness, of the most altruistic kind. He wasn't even a Christian, let alone a 'born again' one.

Now, I have noticed that many supposedly "good" Christians and "Men of God" emphasise the rewards that Christianity promises. Either for the worldly blessings (riches, good health, success, fulfilment, etc.) that purportedly results from one accepting Jesus and abiding by God's commandments, or for the hope of eternal life in terms of making heaven after post-death judgment.

Therefore, it seems that the only reason why most 'good' Christians bother to practice Christianity is because they hope to be rewarded for it, not necessarily that they are genuinely good or full of inherent and self-less love for their neighbours, for the sake of it. This clearly indicates that Christianity, by any definition, mainly thrives as a means to an end, rather than as a good and desirable end in itself.Surely, this can't be a good thing, or is it? I think it amounts to sheer hypocrisy to do good (not that many Christians even manage to excel at that) only because you want God's blessings or because you want to make heaven.

1 Like

Re: Seriously, Should Christianity Be A Means To An End Or An End In Itself? by AdeniyiA(m): 1:07pm On Jul 28, 2013
You have said it all.
Even the devil can call himself a christian,- a christ-like personality, but our works of selflessness,love,care etc actually show who the real christian is,it 's not by confession but by good deeds.
That is why there shall be many surprises in heaven,seeing self-acclaimed christians,pastors,evangelists etc,who accumulate wealth in the midst of the poor and the poor partake not in their possessions, in hell and many we look down upon and condemn as non-christians would make it to heaven.
And yes,christianity should be and is a means to an end,as it does not guanrantee us tickets to the end(heaven) unless we are christlike in our attitudes n actions.
Jesus, despite the opportunity available to Him to be rich,flambuoyant etc,he decided to be humble.
When he was about to be captured, they could not differentiate him from other disciples n had to be singled out thru d kiss of betrayal. This showed moderacy, non-flambuoyancy n humility, but what do you find nowadays?Materialistic christianity , wealth accumulation and prosperity devoid of the real end itself--salvation. Its good to be rich n wealthy, but when the poor in the land can not benefit from our blessings, then we are doomed with our blessing, may we not be doomed.
Re: Seriously, Should Christianity Be A Means To An End Or An End In Itself? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jul 28, 2013
^^
Nice one bro, I agree with you for the most part.

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo Of COZA Speaks In Church / Church Members Mistreat Homeless Man In Church Unaware It Is Their Pastor In Dis / Crises Rocks Methodist Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.