Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

What It Means To Be "born Again"! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What It Means To Be "born Again"! (15858 Views)

How Can One Identify A True Born Again Christian? / Pastor E.A. Adeboye Declares 100 Days Fasting & Prayer-It Means A Lot For 2014 / Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Enigma(m): 10:23pm On Apr 12, 2010
This thread comes about as a result of a tangent on another thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-429243.32.html#msg5882045

Naturally, an important subject like "born again" has several dimensions. However, I will point to two major aspects as a starting point for this discussion. Firstly, how does a person get "born again" AND second what is the manifestation and consequence of a person being "born again"?

1.  I think the first thing to realise is that a person is "born again" by God Himself. Even if a person comes to faith --- say s/he had no faith and turns to Christ or say s/he was a nominal Christian and returns to a deeper acknowledging faith, while we can mark that event as a momentous realisation, the actual "borning" again is done by the Spirit of God, by God Himself.

John 1:12-13

12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 13  who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Now, it has to be realised that there is a conundrum and a much deeper debate with this point. This has been seen over the years in debates involving predestination v freewill, Calvinism v Arminianism etc etc etc. Those debates have their place and in a way we may for instance summarise one aspect thus: which comes first to the "born again" man --- faith before regeneration or regeneration before faith? But, leaving all that aside my main point is that it is not simply a person's decision e.g. after the so-called "altar call" that results in that person being "born again" but the action of God Almighty through the Holy Spirit.

2. The manifestation of a person being born again should be a new heart and a mind that seeks to do right; but what does it mean to seek to do "right"? It means to seek to conform one's action to the teaching of Jesus Christ. {Digression: this is where I get hyper with WoF doctrine as the whole consequence of WoF doctrine is to turn its believer entirely against the teachings of Jesus Christ!!!} One will not always get it right because of the weakness of the flesh but with the help of the Spirit it should be possible to so conduct oneself that even the world will say but "s/he is different to be honest".

The consequence of being "born again" is that God assures the "born again" person of his/her eternal destiny. You can even feel and know this assurance; it is like an enveloping of love, an enveloping of assurance, like a "tangible" feeling of being in God's hands.

Romans 8:14-17

14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” 16  The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.

So here's a start; let's hope the discussions will be fruitful and beneficial.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Nobody: 10:33pm On Apr 12, 2010
Enigma:

Now, it has to be realised that there is a conundrum and a much deeper debate with this point. This has been seen over the years in debates involving predestination v freewill, Calvinism v Arminianism etc etc etc. Those debates have their place and in a way we may for instance summarise one aspect thus: which comes first to the "born again" man --- faith before regeneration or regeneration before faith? But, leaving all that aside my main point is that it is not simply a person's decision e.g. after the so-called "altar call" that results in that person being "born again" but the action of God Almighty through the Holy Spirit.

Nice thread enigma. While i agree with you that it is God's own work in us that makes us born again . . . i have to say that we as humans have a huge part to play in this (i say this especially to the crowd that try to use the "lack of free will" argument as an excuse to reject salvation).

1. Romans 10: 9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

God doesnt just choose folks He likes at random to save . . . each man/woman makes a conscious choice both with the heart and the mouth to seek the Lord and thus find salvation.

I like to use the school as an analogy here . . . you must write and pass a common entrance exam before you can seek admission to secondary school. But it is entirely the responsibility of the school to then ratify your application and enroll you as a student. BUT WITHOUT the initial exam and application, there is nothing the school can do on your behalf. they cant come and pick you at random and force you to attend the school.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by InesQor(m): 10:49pm On Apr 12, 2010
Great topic as often, Enigma.

Confessing Christ is not like a pagan ritual or Ali Baba's Open Sesame magic words that just automatically makes you born again. As Jesus said, one must be born from above. The confession from the heart is the witness that the person is ready for the salvation experience and the Holy Spirit begins his work on them.

I believe confession is just the beginning of the path, and not the final destination. I believe entire salvation experiences do not occur in equal time across various people, just like drilling through various materials takes different amounts of time in various circumstances.

And this is why I will say that the statement "Four souls were won to Christ" is not only wrong on counts of decisionism/salvation (Enigma's words) as JeSoul earlier noted, but also wrong on the count that I believe, rather, "four spirits had begun a re-orientation towards God". The souls would follow suit when the spirit has been mastered and can place the soul and body under subjection to do God's will.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Mudley313: 12:31am On Apr 13, 2010
In recent history, born again is a term that has been widely associated with the evangelical Christian renewal since the late 1960s, first in the United States and then later around the world. Associated perhaps initially with Jesus People and the Christian counterculture, born again came to refer to an intense conversion experience, and was increasingly used as a term to identify devout believers. By the mid 1970s, born again Christians were increasingly referred to in the mainstream media as part of the born again movement.

In 1976, Watergate conspirator Chuck Colson's book Born Again gained international notice. TIME magazine named him "One of the 25 Most Influential Evangelicals in America."[6] The term was sufficiently prevalent that during the year's Presidential campaign Jimmy Carter described himself as born again, notably in the first Playboy magazine interview of a U.S. Presidential candidate. Modern musicians Rev. Little Richard Penniman,[7] Mark Farner, Dan Peek, Donna Summer, Bob Dylan,[8] Kerry Livgren, Dave Hope, Dave Mustaine, Nicko McBrain, Roger McGuinn, Johnny Cash, Brian Welch, Keith Farley, Cliff Richard, Randy Travis, Alice Cooper and Lou Gramm[9] were artists whose born again conversions had an impact on modern culture. Others such as James Cash Penney, founder of Chick-fil-A Truett Cathy, wrestlers Shawn Michaels and Sting, Jesse McCartney, Charlie Daniels, and Mr. T are also mentioned as being born again. Former Alabama governor and U.S. presidential candidate George Wallace became born again in the late 70s, which led him to apologize for his earlier segregationist views.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_again_(Christianity)

just some new age term espoused by cool modern day christians gotten from jesus's encounter wit nicodemus
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Fhemmmy: 2:54pm On Apr 13, 2010
Few things.
Like those things that used to stress you wont, cos you now have control
You wont use your tongue just anyhow anymore.
Your priority would change, instead of just clubbing, life now have better meaning
You will be at peace with people
You appreciate people more
Forgives easily
In All, you love God so much and more
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by aletheia(m): 6:30pm On Apr 13, 2010
Decisionism

Does God call you or do you call God?

By Dr. Ken Matto

(John 6:37 KJV) All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

The subject we are going to discuss is called “decisionism.” In the majority of churches today and in evangelistic circles, when there is a meeting and a sermon preached, normally at the end of the meeting the preacher will call for people to make a decision to accept Christ as their personal Savior. This is known as the invitation and those who want to accept Christ are asked to come to the front, then when all are gathered, the speaker will lead the group with a small prayer, something called, "the Sinner’s Prayer." The prayer normally consists of a confession of sin, a personal call for repentance, and asking Christ to be the savior of their life. These activities fall under the umbrella of "making a decision for Christ." I have been in meetings where the speaker asks everyone to bow their heads and he is the only one looking and then proceeds to do a long drawn out invitation. Basically, you will hear the term “anyone else” repeated about 50 times until someone else feels compelled to go down to the front. Whether that desire is from the Lord, or just a desire to shorten the invitation by giving the speaker one more notch on his spiritual gun belt, is yet to be seen.

WHAT IS IT?
The question we must pose is, “Is it possible for a person to make some kind of instant decision after a message and then accept Christ?” We must define what a decision is. This definition is from the Merriam Webster On Line Dictionary, “a: the act or process of deciding b: a determination arrived at after consideration.” The speaker gets up behind the podium on the dais and preaches a message. He then begins to ask people to evaluate the message and to determine in their own mind what they heard. As the speaker begins to make a small homily concerning the contents of the message, he begins to wind down with a compendium of the essence of the message. He then conveys to his hearers that since they have now heard the gospel preached, it is the utmost importance that they now act on what they heard. The speaker is calling for a determination after the people consider the message. He then declares that they must now make a decision concerning their eternal destiny. If they accept Christ, they will have eternal life from the moment they come forward and give their heart to Christ. Essentially, decisionism is the person making an on the spot decision about accepting Christ. However, the process which precedes the coming forward is quite subjective to the speaker’s ability to motivate people. When one looks at the Billy Graham Crusades in the earlier years or even Jimmy Swaggart at his height of popularity, these were two powerful speakers who had the ability to motivate.

The Billy Graham people have admitted they acknowledge that not everyone who came forward in the meetings became saved. Many were caught up in the moment. Decisionism is a flawed method and a very dangerous system to try and bring souls into the Kingdom with. The truth is that decisionism is a contrived technique and not a biblical system.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by InesQor(m): 6:46pm On Apr 13, 2010
Thanks for the article, aletheia. I will like to add that decisionism is only an emotional consequence of the (near) expert skills of a salesman.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by JeSoul(f): 7:12pm On Apr 13, 2010
^^ Dr Ken Matto, awesome piece. I agree that these methods used and even taught in christian schools, cannot be biblically defended. I've even opened a topic on this in the past (cannot find the yeye link with this yeye google search). But yeah, this "decisionism" practice is rampant in church circles, scarcely will you find a church that doesn't practice it.

Anyways, few comments.
"Does God call you or do you call God?" I believe it is both. Just like it is possible for Jesus to be both God and yet man, and the bible was written by God and yet man, it is also possible that God calls us but yet we also call on Him.

God calls us:
- Jn 6:44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day.
- 2 Thes 2:14 He called you to this through our gospel, that you might share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Acts 2:39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call."

We call on God:
- Acts 2:21 And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.'
- Rom 10:13 for, Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
- Rom 10:12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by nuclearboy(m): 8:34pm On Apr 13, 2010
@Friends:

Whatever God speaks becomes living! I think the idea behind the confession of Christ as Lord is meant in this same manner and the words are directed towards us in that sense. Say it, believe it, BECOME IT!

Its like saying good trees bear good fruit in another way - confession brings us into the reality we "confess". However, the "expertise" of our motivational preachers pointed out above, comes into play in our time and age. And then there are the audiences for whom "confessing" became a fad, a means of "belonging" in the new "set" and so the purpose was defeated.

When a truthful person says something, he/she lives it regardless of if the person had been "truly" truthful prior to that time! His decision to change compelled the confession just as God wanting illumination spoke light into existence. His decision is made by him and ACCEPTED BY GOD who provides the power for the "illumination".
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by KunleOshob(m): 8:52pm On Apr 13, 2010
Nice thread, brilliant submissions!
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Enigma(m): 11:08pm On Apr 13, 2010
Just a couple of quick comments:

I also like the piece by Matto. In fact this thread was started due to my being taken by a post in the originating thread to the effect that preachers should just preach the gospel and leave the rest to God. I agree that on the whole we should not under-emphasise the actions of man in responding to the gospel; I also take the point made and described as "say it and become it"; I interprete that to the effect that when a person accepts the gospel he is guaranteed God's promise of salvation and, in a sense, is an immediate beneficiary of it. A lot of the relevant scriptures have already been referred to and in particular those saying "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved"! Another that I like is this assurance: “But as many as received Him, to them gave the He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name” (John 1:12)
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by aletheia(m): 11:45pm On Apr 13, 2010
Will be pasting the rest of the article though it's available here
WHAT IS ITS HISTORY?
For the first 1800 years of the church, there was no such thing as decisionism when it concerned salvation. There have been debates between theological systems for hundreds of years where people make decisions concerning the materials they heard presented by the debaters. Decisionism for salvation was unheard of until the 1820’s when Charles Finney (1792-1875) introduced this method. Up until this time, when people heard a message which moved them, they did not do anything, because the Holy Spirit would convict them and then they would begin their Christian life. It was Charles Finney who preached that people have to make a decision. He was very heavy into free will and even believed that a Christian can actually lose their salvation in Heaven. Here is the quote from Finney’s Systematic Theology: “Saints in Heaven can by natural possibility apostatize and fall, and be lost. Were not this naturally possible, there would be no virtue in perseverance.” Finney even denied the blood atonement of Christ and the imputation of Christ’s righteousness to those who became saved. Of course, if you do not believe that Christ imputes His righteousness, then a person would have to fall from Heaven, since they came in without a wedding garment.

(Mat 22:12-13 KJV) And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. {13} Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

The truth is the believer is blessed with the robe of Christ’s righteousness according to the following verse:

(Isa 61:10 KJV) I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.

Finney did not believe that Christ died for the sins of His People. He had come to believe that Christ just removed the hindrances which kept people from making those decisions to accept Christ. Based upon these beliefs held by Finney, I cannot see how this man could even claim to be a Christian. His belief system was one of an apostate unbeliever. When we look at today’s evangelistic methods, we see the technique of Finney being used on a large scale. Probably, the best example of Finney’s technique being used today is that of Billy Graham who calls people to make a decision for Christ. Even his magazine is called “Decision.”

If you enter any church today which espouses the Arminian doctrine of free will, you will find an invitation being given at the end of the service for people to come forward and accept Christ. Normally, accompanying this, you would be in for a fifteen-minute call.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by nuclearboy(m): 5:49am On Apr 14, 2010
I can't help but be impressed by most everyone here. I decidedly feel like Elijah as a time came when I was so miffed at Christianity because I felt we'd totally lost it - I've not been to "church" in years for that reason and preferred informal fellowship. Now I know God has kept His own and you guys prove it.

But what can be done to get people to understand its not just "say something with your mouth" then go back to the life you wanted. Indeed "church" is now worse than society and I know two churches where young men go to because they want easy girls. They just pick from the choir! One amazing character I know behaves and boasts about it like he was commissioned for that very purpose.

Any ideas what can be done? - these "business churches" are really distorting truth and what is happening is worse than "worst". Do we just talk of these things and thats it? ANY IDEAS what we as individuals can do?
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by CHARLOE(m): 6:33am On Apr 14, 2010
After careful study i've come to discover the true meaning of been born again. Stop to think: have u ever wondered why Jesus did not go around preaching 'u must be born again?'. He only used the word/term in answer to nicodemus' question. He went about preaching  d good news.
 There's a difference between repentance and been re-born or born again. When u accept Jesus into ur life and repent of ur sins, u become a begotten child of God, ie u're likea  child that is conceived/begotten in d womb. That child must stay in d womb for 9 months developing all it's body parts before it's finally born. That's how a christian must grow spiritually, developing spiritual gifts while on earth, dies and be reborn/born again in d resurrection before he is truely and finally born again! Then we shall be like Him, we shall have heavenly bodies and all d qualities of a born child of God that d whole 'creation of God groan, like a woman in labour awaiting' (rom cool, we shall possess. Even Jesus in answer to nic's question went further to say 'he that is born of the flesh is flesh and he that is born of the spirit is spirit'- While on this earth, in this life, we 'are in the flesh (though not of it), born of d flesh, but after the resurrection we shall have spiritual bodies (born of the spirit).
 Do u know that even Jesus himself was a begotten child of God while on earth? and became born again when He died and was resurrected? Even so we must pass thru this process to be like Him, and that's what water baptism symbolises.
 Have u ever wondered while after been 'born again' we still fall sick, sin, lack etc It is simply becos we have not come to d fullness of God's image, born sons of God (pls read rom 8 thoroughly). When d sons of God are manifested, when we're finally re-born/born again (after d resurrection), we shall be like Him- super-human! There will be no more sickness, lack, even death shall be no more! This is where some churches miss it when they preach that once u're born again u can not fall sick, lack, die, etc that u become superhuman. We all know that while in this flesh, we can fall sick (paul, timothy etc where ill) and pass thru what any other human go thru.
 Pls pardon me for not citing all relevant scriptures, just saw d topic and decided to contribute, cos i've been planning on starting a thread like this myself but have not had d time (though i'm sure u're familiar with most of d scriptures). I'll be back with relevant passages in d bible.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by CHARLOE(m): 6:50am On Apr 14, 2010
Sorry, that smiley should be 8 (rom 8 i mean).
@ Nuclearboy, what we should do is study and seek d truth for ourselves. Prove all things from d scripture. You can't force d truth on pple, they have to decide to seek and accept the truth themselves. Alot of pple base what they beleive on hearsay/sentiments, without proving anything.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by InesQor(m): 7:38am On Apr 14, 2010
@nuclearboy: I'm personally working on a book. And a website. I will try to keep you posted. Bros, I didn't forget our appointment in 9 days or so o.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by KunleOshob(m): 8:40am On Apr 14, 2010
CHARLOE:

After careful study i've come to discover the true meaning of been born again. Stop to think: have u ever wondered why Jesus did not go around preaching 'u must be born again?'. He only used the word/term in answer to nicodemus' question. He went about preaching d good news.
There's a difference between repentance and been re-born or born again. When u accept Jesus into your life and repent of your sins, u become a begotten child of God, ie u're likea child that is conceived/begotten in d womb. That child must stay in d womb for 9 months developing all it's body parts before it's finally born. That's how a christian must grow spiritually, developing spiritual gifts while on earth, dies and be reborn/born again in d resurrection before he is truely and finally born again! Then we shall be like Him, we shall have heavenly bodies and all d qualities of a born child of God that d whole 'creation of God groan, like a woman in labour awaiting' (rom cool, we shall possess. Even Jesus in answer to nic's question went further to say 'he that is born of the flesh is flesh and he that is born of the spirit is spirit'- While on this earth, in this life, we 'are in the flesh (though not of it), born of d flesh, but after the resurrection we shall have spiritual bodies (born of the spirit).
Do u know that even Jesus himself was a begotten child of God while on earth? and became born again when He died and was resurrected? Even so we must pass thru this process to be like Him, and that's what water baptism symbolises.
Have u ever wondered while after been 'born again' we still fall sick, sin, lack etc It is simply becos we have not come to d fullness of God's image, born sons of God (pls read rom 8 thoroughly). When d sons of God are manifested, when we're finally re-born/born again (after d resurrection), we shall be like Him- super-human! There will be no more sickness, lack, even death shall be no more! This is where some churches miss it when they preach that once u're born again u can not fall sick, lack, die, etc that u become superhuman. We all know that while in this flesh, we can fall sick (paul, timothy etc where ill) and pass thru what any other human go thru.
Pls pardon me for not citing all relevant scriptures, just saw d topic and decided to contribute, cos i've been planning on starting a thread like this myself but have not had d time (though i'm sure u're familiar with most of d scriptures). I'll be back with relevant passages in d bible.

Very nice submissions which i tend to agree with and i actually once postulated this theory on a previous thread on this forum but the position was punctured when someone referred me to a scripture in which peter described believers as "born again" this implied it was supposed to be here and now and not in the after life. The verse is quoted below for your consideration:

1 Peter 1:22-23:

22Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

23Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

From the above statements of peter it implies born again means someone that the soul has been purified and now has the spirit of God exhibited through unfeigned love to one and other and being incorruptible[holy]
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Joagbaje(m): 8:47am On Apr 14, 2010
Being born again is an instatanous experience. The moment you confess the lordship of Christ by faith, you recieve the gift of eternal life. being born again is not a progressive experience at all.  The only progressive part is your growth which is the salvation of your soul. We may use the term "souls saved" in generic term but it is not precisely thesame. Man is a Spirit, he has a Soul and he lives in a Body.  The man get "born" or recreated in his spirit the moment he recieves Christ by confessing him as lord. Bu the salvayion of the soul which is growth and maturity is a continous process until Jesus come. The takes place by the agency of the word of God.

James 1:21
   Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is[b] able to save your souls.[/b]

Hebrews 10:39
   But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

The point is, when a man confesses Jesus as lord, even if he drops dead instantly, He goes to heaven  because salvation is by faith and not works.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Joagbaje(m): 8:51am On Apr 14, 2010
KunleOshob:

Very nice submissions which i tend to agree with and i actually once postulated this theory on a previous thread on this forum but the position was punctured when someone referred me to a scripture in which peter described believers as "born again" this implied it was supposed to be here and now and not in the after life. The verse is quoted below for your consideration:

1 Peter 1:22-23:

22Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

23Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

From the above statements of peter it implies born again means someone that the soul has been purified and now has the spirit of God exhibited through unfeigned love to one and other and being incorruptible[holy]

Iro nla ni!
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by KunleOshob(m): 9:20am On Apr 14, 2010
Joagbaje:

Iro nla ni!

I am not suprised at your comment after all members of your cult beleive that Peter did not have a full grasp of the Gospel of christ even though Jesus chose him as a leader amongst his disciples.

Joagbaje:

James 1:21
Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is[b] able to save your souls.[/b]

shocked shocked shocked I am shocked you are quoting from the same James you earlier descibed as a "baby" christian. You would have done better to quote from your "more authuritative" rapshody of realities or better still any of pastor chris teachings. tongue
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Joagbaje(m): 9:46am On Apr 14, 2010
KunleOshob:

I am not suprised at your comment after all members of your cult beleive that Peter did not have a full grasp of the Gospel of christ even though Jesus chose him as a leader amongst his disciples.

shocked shocked shocked I am shocked you are quoting from the same James you earlier descibed as a "baby" christian. You would have done better to quote from your "more authuritative" rapshody of realities or better still any of pastor chris teachings. tongue

I did acknowledge that James had great principles , you may go back and read them. But his depth of James revelation knowledge is shallow , compared to Paul's . John the baptist had great principles too. but I am greater than john. How do you reconcile the differences in James teaching and Pauls teachings, or you didnt observe any conflict?
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by ttalks(m): 9:58am On Apr 14, 2010
Joagbaje:

I did acknowledge that James had great principles , you may go back and read them. But his depth of James revelation knowledge is shallow , compared to Paul's . John the baptist had great principles too. but I am greater than john. How do you reconcile the differences in James teaching and Pauls teachings, or you didnt observe any conflict?

Joagbage,
If you can still be saying up till now that there are conflicts between Paul's and James' teachings, then you are a very sorry case.

I'm sure your object of conflict resides in the issue of "faith without works is dead" in James. If that is so, you show yourself to be an ignorant person in terms of reasoning.

Sit down and put on your thinking cap and you will see that James' teachings along with those of Paul are in perfect harmony.

*Now back to the topic at hand*
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by KunleOshob(m): 10:16am On Apr 14, 2010
Joagbaje:

Greater than John indeed, i laugh in summersaulting spiritual tongues. You are that great and yet you are still doing boiboi to a very ignorant charlatan who Just sees te gospel as a meal tickect. Even your Oga is very shallow an his only area of specialization is in the debauchery of the bible and manipiulating it to say things it doesn't say and when scriptures are shown to clearly oppose his heretics he dimisses the scriptures and claims he has "revelation". yeye bunch of ignorant 419 charlatans. you better wake up and renounce this cult which you operate it and start seeking true salvation.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by CHARLOE(m): 11:17am On Apr 14, 2010
@ kunleoshob & all, i'm busy @ work now, but will find time this evening to make a comprehensive post concerning my explanation of d true meaning of 'born again'. But meanwhile, just ask urself this questions:
- can u be born again twice?
- if u can only be born again only once does that mean once u're born again u can go on commiting sin and still remain born again? (this is what some churches teach)
- if after been 'born again' u commit a sin, what happens then? Are u no longer born again? if u repent of that sin, are u now born again, again?
- why do we still fall sick, lack and experience what everybody pass thru even after been born again? (Saying 'am strong when u're sick doesn't change d fact u're sick!)
This is d era of grace quite alright, but is it a license to live our lives d way we deem fit? or are there God's laws we're to obey? laws that act as our mirror, to guide us. Concerning what peter said, know that Scripture interprets scripture. This is a topic that require wide and intensive study, not just taking one verse alone and building a belief around it while ignoring others. Like i said earlier, i'll make a comprehensive post this evening.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Joagbaje(m): 11:28am On Apr 14, 2010
KunleOshob:

Greater than John indeed, i laugh in summersaulting spiritual tongues. You are that great and yet you are still doing boiboi to a very ignorant charlatan who Just sees te gospel as a meal tickect. Even your Oga is very shallow an his only area of specialization is in the debauchery of the bible and manipiulating it to say things it doesn't say and when scriptures are shown to clearly oppose his heretics he dimisses the scriptures and claims he has "revelation". yeye bunch of ignorant 419 charlatans. you better wake up and renounce this cult which you operate it and start seeking true salvation.

All you do is insults and abuses. Cant you for once discuss inteligibly? Why im i even wasting my time with this unstable individual?
well let me give you a home work to study baby.

Matthew 11:11
Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

PLS DONT DERAIL THE THREAD OK?!!
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Joagbaje(m): 11:38am On Apr 14, 2010
CHARLOE:

- can u be born again twice?
- if u can only be born again only once does that mean once u're born again u can go on commiting sin and still remain born again? (this is what some churches teach)
- if after been 'born again' u commit a sin, what happens then? Are u no longer born again? if u repent of that sin, are u now born again, again?
- why do we still fall sick, lack and experience what everybody pass thru even after been born again? (Saying 'am strong when u're sick doesn't change d fact u're sick!)
This is d era of grace quite alright, but is it a license to live our lives d way we deem fit? or are there God's laws we're to obey? laws that act as our mirror, to guide us. Concerning what peter said, know that Scripture interprets scripture. This is a topic that require wide and intensive study, not just taking one verse alone and building a belief around it while ignoring others. Like i said earlier, i'll make a comprehensive post this evening.

You get born again only once. If you sin , or make a mistake, it doesnt stop you from being born again . For your information , the only person that can sin is a christian!. What ever evil an unsaved man commits is not a sin. He is the embodiment of sin already! He cant be forgiven, but its only a christian that can sin and recieve forgiveness. No Child of God like to sin , but there is provision for him if he does.

1 John 2:1
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by KunleOshob(m): 11:41am On Apr 14, 2010
Joagbaje:

Matthew 11:11
Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

I am sorry your holiness, i forgot i was addressing a "god". tongue
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Enigma(m): 11:48am On Apr 14, 2010
Joagbaje

You should be careful about pride and conceit which are unfortunate inevitable by-products of some aspects of WoF doctrine. Statements like "I am greater than John {the baptist}" are unbecoming of a Christian and are a manifestation of (a) pride and (b) inadequate understanding of the Bible. A non-prideful way to understand Jesus' teaching on being "greater than John" is this: a person who has inherited and is in the kingdom of heaven is greater than John was as a man on earth ! At the moment, you Joagbaje even as a born-again person are just a man on earth; you are NOT greater than John was as a man on earth not to talk of John as a person in the kingdom of heaven.

The problem with you CEC people and WoFers generally is that you are in a hurry; you think everything is all about the present and the present on this earth; you do not realise that Jesus' greatest promises to us and our greatest hope are for the future, for the kingdom to come, for the kingdom of heaven, for the kingdom of God.

As I said to another poster yesterday: oju nkan awon ara CEC!!!

PS please be warned that you are already beginning to stray into territory in which we will have no choice but to bring you and Oyakhilome down to earth; if you continue with the arrogant display of claimed "superiority" to biblical personnel like James and John etc, you and Oyaks will get it fully from me; Kunle is being nice so far, I won't be so nice.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by aletheia(m): 12:16pm On Apr 14, 2010
Joagbaje, you have come again with your twisting of words: Three lies in your statement.
Joagbaje:

For your information , the only person that can sin is a christian!. What ever evil an unsaved man commits is not a sin. He is the embodiment of sin already! He cant be forgiven, but its only a christian that can sin and recieve forgiveness. No Child of God like to sin , but there is provision for him if he does.
1. Every man sins.
Rom 3:23 for [size=16pt]all[/size] have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
2. Whatever evil an unsaved man commits is sin. Again Rom 3:23
3. He can't be forgiven? Now you are God to declare that a man cannot be forgiven. The implication of this your statement is that the vicarious atonement of Jesus is not enough. Only one sin is will not be forgiven.
4. You corrupt the grace of God and turn it into a licence for sin by your statement: "its only a christian that can sin and recieve forgiveness"
Jud 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
Rom 6:1-2 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Joagbaje(m): 1:48pm On Apr 14, 2010
aletheia:

Joagbaje, you have come again with your twisting of words: Three lies in your statement.1. Every man sins.2. Whatever evil an unsaved man commits is sin. Again Rom 3:23
3. He can't be forgiven? Now you are God to declare that a man cannot be forgiven. The implication of this your statement is that the vicarious atonement of Jesus is not enough. Only one sin is will not be forgiven.
4. You corrupt the grace of God and turn it into a licence for sin by your statement: "its only a christian that can sin and recieve forgiveness"

You shoould know by now I dont waste my time responding to people like you again. maybe someone else will help your ignorance.

2 Tim. 3:7
Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Anybody out there
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by nuella2(f): 1:56pm On Apr 14, 2010
Somebody called for a doctor??
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by KunleOshob(m): 2:03pm On Apr 14, 2010
Joagbaje:

You shoould know by now I dont waste my time responding to people like you again. maybe someone else will help your ignorance.

2 Tim. 3:7
Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Anybody out there

And Joagabje having been caught pants down scampers off again in shame with tail in between his legs  grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Lady Gives Birth At Joshua Iginla's Church In Abuja, Receives N200k From Pastor / I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? / Deliverance Ministry Shares Free Food At Onitsha Petrol Station (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.