Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,890 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

Racial Dilemma In [yoruba] African History - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Racial Dilemma In [yoruba] African History (695 Views)

Female Regents In Yoruba Land. / Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) / Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Racial Dilemma In [yoruba] African History by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 28, 2013
Great development here.

Well the fact that we say the blacks came from Egypt or that Yoruba came from Egypt has nothing to do with inferior racial quest to feel important or something borne out of someone's inferiority complex looking for (ancient) Egyptian collateral to historical relevance.

Most enthusiasts do not have a pint idea of the dept of the wealth of Yoruba history, the reason is not far fetched: You can never have it without a good grasp of the Yoruba language. Looking outside is simply trying to see the source of the abundance that we have, we are not making up for the abundance we lack. we do not need all the abundance the world has to make a history.

How much did the white man pay to be a white man? how much did the black man pay to be a black man? So why is skin colour a collateral for history to anyone? too much of "Hegel opinion" that the blacks are ahistoric people points to the fact that seeing history from racial perspective is seeing it the way it is when we see it, not how it might have evolved over time till we came and see and conquer. here is the paradox logic: If there is evolution, devolution is the antithesis of evolution.

in human history, its too early to rush to conclusion as most people do on African history: thinking it all started when the Portuguese explorers landed on the coasts of Africa, or as said to me when i was young "Mungo Park discover river Niger". When my brother taught me that one as a young boy, i asked him, "were people not living around river Niger at Mungo Park's time (1800s)?" he said people were living there.

I said "were they blind and not knowing that they were seeing river Niger?" I said, "this were the people that discovered river Niger, not Mungo Park!" He said, "you have to know this for your exam purpose, its not a historical fact." How can a people tell another peoples history that they knew nothing about and believe their version to be true?

The problem with race - influenced history is borne out of inferiority or superiority complex, victor - victim perspectives. Race is something that no one choose for themselves. I find myself here, I'm okay with it, I want to contribute for the good of this race and humanity, not to use this race as recrimination for the past, over what no one alive choose for themselves. what does it cost to be a white man or black?

If we put that aside, we might be able to appreciate history without sentiment that could heavily influence or create bias view of historical resource that language and other human or scientific evidence can provide us. the best is, a historical position is either true or false, it has nothing to do with races.
Re: Racial Dilemma In [yoruba] African History by tpia5: 8:32am On Aug 04, 2013
Most enthusiasts do not have a pint idea of the dept of the wealth of Yoruba history

very true.

the reason is not far fetched: You can never have it without a good grasp of the Yoruba language.

gbam, and much more.

trying to see the source of the abundance that we have

almost an impossible task, for sure.
Re: Racial Dilemma In [yoruba] African History by Nobody: 5:51pm On Aug 04, 2013
tpia@:

very true.

gbam, and much more.

almost an impossible task, for sure.

thanks so much tpia@,

I am grateful to God and great guys like you, you made me cough out what i think i have gleaned from Yoruba classic down the age. You, and Dudu Negro got me talking till fellow discussants came in and the list and post start growing. You surely have your reward and you have done your part for the motherland for your curiosity down to this moment. I'm grateful, and so will future researchers be of you. keep finding out, pick what you see and scrtutinise them further, you will find that each word is just a step from the aboundance.

Well as for me, the impossible task is possible for sure, its a matter of time, attitude and quest. make it a quest, it deserve to be a quest, the time for what you have to make sense will come, but keep on the in-gathering, folktales, praise-poem, proverbs and idioms, they have their own use in this possible quest.

1 Like

Re: Racial Dilemma In [yoruba] African History by TonySpike: 6:17pm On Aug 04, 2013
Hello Prexios, did you see my response on the other thread? I would like to hear from you...
Re: Racial Dilemma In [yoruba] African History by tpia5: 7:17pm On Aug 04, 2013
prexios:

thanks so much tpia@,

I am grateful to God and great guys like you, you made me cough out what i think i have gleaned from Yoruba classic down the age. You, and Dudu Negro got me talking till fellow discussants came in and the list and post start growing. You surely have your reward and you have done your part for the motherland for your curiosity down to this moment. I'm grateful, and so will future researchers be of you. keep finding out, pick what you see and scrtutinise them further, you will find that each word is just a step from the aboundance.

Well as for me, the impossible task is possible for sure, its a matter of time, attitude and quest. make it a quest, it deserve to be a quest, the time for what you have to make sense will come, but keep on the in-gathering, folktales, praise-poem, proverbs and idioms, they have their own use in this possible quest.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

I'm doing a little research on my own and some of the material is just so interesting.

I love reading up on yoruba history even though its so vast and can be confusing, if you dont mind my saying so. There are times when i wish i had musiwa's gift for plotting maps, just so the info could be better organized.

I'm however a bit limited because i dont have a fuller grasp of the language ( its very deep) and also so much information is lacking /missing due to the different time frames pertaining to yoruba.
Re: Racial Dilemma In [yoruba] African History by Nobody: 10:02am On Aug 05, 2013
tpia@:

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

I'm doing a little research on my own and some of the material is just so interesting.

I love reading up on yoruba history even though its so vast and can be confusing, if you dont mind my saying so. There are times when i wish i had musiwa's gift for plotting maps, just so the info could be better organized.

I'm however a bit limited because i dont have a fuller grasp of the language ( its very deep) and also so much information is lacking /missing due to the different time frames pertaining to yoruba.

i understand your plight dear brother,

you just need to trust your gut and follow the popular arguments, so that your research would end in the frontline. do not let the fear of being right or wrong scare you, you can be either wrong or right, thats about the best or wore that can happen. But that you try can be the best thing you get.

Do not mind your limitation either, there is always fragment of truth in every possition that yoruba word toss to your path, like it or not. you are in for "particularization," (that is what i do), gather every nuances of the target word and define them, distill them and you will find that the words leads you on on their own accord. in that respect, you are never going to be limited again foever.

but mind you, the quest can take forever, so break your quest to pieces, so you can have time for other things of life if you are still under age (20-25 years or thereabout). my shortcoming is, i went into it and gave up everything else. But what you will find when you find it may make up for all the loss anyway. God bless.
Re: Racial Dilemma In [yoruba] African History by OJODEL10(m): 6:33pm On Aug 05, 2013
AFTER READ THIS PART OF THE BIBLE ON THE QUEST FOR SEARCHING FOR THE TRUE COLOR OF THE HEBREW NOT THE JEW, I'M NOW CONVINCE THAT THE HEBREW WERE BLACK. SONG OF SONGS 1: 5 DARK AM H, YET LOVELY, O DAUGHTERS OF JERUSALEM, DARK LIKE THE TENTS OF KEDAR, LIKE THE TENT CURTAINS OF SOLOMON. 6 DO NOT STARE AT ME BECAUSE I AM DARK, BECAUSE I AM DARKEN BY THE SUN. MY MOTHER'S SONS WERE ANGRY WITH ME AND MADE ME TAKE CARE OF THE VINEYARD; MY OWN VINEYARD I HAVE NEGLECTED.
Re: Racial Dilemma In [yoruba] African History by Nobody: 10:20am On Aug 06, 2013
OJODEL10: AFTER READ THIS PART OF THE BIBLE ON THE QUEST FOR SEARCHING FOR THE TRUE COLOR OF THE HEBREW NOT THE JEW, I'M NOW CONVINCE THAT THE HEBREW WERE BLACK. SONG OF SONGS 1: 5 DARK AM H, YET LOVELY, O DAUGHTERS OF JERUSALEM, DARK LIKE THE TENTS OF KEDAR, LIKE THE TENT CURTAINS OF SOLOMON. 6 DO NOT STARE AT ME BECAUSE I AM DARK, BECAUSE I AM DARKEN BY THE SUN. MY MOTHER'S SONS WERE ANGRY WITH ME AND MADE ME TAKE CARE OF THE VINEYARD; MY OWN VINEYARD I HAVE NEGLECTED.

There you are, you are there. I pray you see what you are seeing in that passage.
Isaiah said "seeing they did not see, hearing they did not understand." I sigh. but when i sigh, i also yawn and the word fell out that Darwin did not consult his shredded bible to see if he can make anything for devolution in that piece.

Well we all have the quest for self actualization. but it is not great thought that will crush a great thought, it is useless, irrelevant thought. talk of Goliath, if you find the remaining stone first, Darwin can be your Goliath. Go for him. he would do the same if he have the chance. Substantiate what you have found. That same passage inspired me 13 years ago. I call it devolution. and that is what Darwin did not have because he was too bussy trying to fight and win God.

1 Corinthians 1:27

New Living Translation

"Instead, God chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And he chose things that are powerless to shame those who are powerful."

(1) (Reply)

. / The Polynesian Miracle Fruit. / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.