Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,932 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture (23001 Views)

4 BEDROOM DUPLEX (A New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) / New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture (construction Of 4 Bedroom Twin Duplex) / Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by spyder880(m): 10:49pm On Jul 28, 2013
Many readers of my threads are concerned about the costs of building a house in Nigeria. It is on the high side. This is largely due to the type of building materials we use to construct our houses, and the labour intensive methods we employ.

So, what is the way forward? What are the options? Do you have any idea of how to reduce construction costs in Nigeria? Which building methods/materials do you suggest and why? Please bring all the ideas here.

2 Likes

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by IJI777: 11:08pm On Jul 28, 2013
this is a nice,front page topic. though am not an engineer,but,the material to use depends on the kind of byulding,the purpose it will serve,enviromental factors too
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by lawali: 11:11pm On Jul 28, 2013
Already in the class. Waiting for class teachers.
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Emperoh(m): 11:11pm On Jul 28, 2013
Signing up sharply! grin grin
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Chekitaut: 11:28pm On Jul 28, 2013
Glass house is accepted to be a good alternative but due to insecurity in Nigeria is not advisable.

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jul 28, 2013
Thanks for starting this thread.

It's important that it was started by you as an accomplished builder. You are not only a builder but a great materials management person as well as project manager. This has been evidenced very well on NL.

From my perspective I think a lot of money is being spent on building these block buildings without supplemental building materials.

The building landscape in Nigeria is not that much different in Nigeria and in the US.

Foundation:
Should be built on concrete/blocks as it is done currently. I wonder if we can supplement with piers especially in areas where the soil is not stable or for other design elements.

Exterior Walls:
I think they can be built using treated wood or metal studs and then covered by stucco or even galvanized materials. I have yet to see any elaborate building in Nigeria that wasn't behind an equally elaborate fence. SO safety which can never be guaranteed is mostly assured.

Interior Walls:
I see no reason why the same metal or wood studs cannot be used.

Arches and Columns:
Arches can be made with metal much easier than concrete and so can columns unless.

These are just laymen ideas but I have built a house in the US before but I want to hear from those on the ground in Nigeria.

For a 3,000 single story house, you can get to this stage in a week. Of course not counting foundation pouring.

Another pet peeve of mine. I love small footprint homes.

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Niiade(m): 11:33pm On Jul 28, 2013
spyder880: Many readers of my threads are concerned about the costs of building a house in Nigeria. It is on the high side. This is largely due to the type of building materials we use to construct our houses, and the labour intensive methods we employ.

So, what is the way forward? What are the options? Do you have any idea of how to reduce construction costs in Nigeria? Which building methods/materials do you suggest and why? Please bring all the ideas here.

Oga well done sir, you are a blessing o, Please start with this 100mm and 150mm block thing for in partitioning, I think its cost effective to build the whole surrounding carcass and use small blocks to do the demarcation on the inside. Mostly for the toilets and rooms I guess.

Wood is not a strong factor for me.
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by mufutau55(m): 11:43pm On Jul 28, 2013
Thanks for giving us another interesting thread. Reporting to class, all my ogas at the top.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jul 28, 2013

Assembly time: Three days!

Do we have Nigerian architectural style?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by princeonx: 12:27am On Jul 29, 2013
Niiade:

Oga well done sir, you are a blessing o, Please start with this 100mm and 150mm block thing for in partitioning, I think its cost effective to build the whole surrounding carcass and use small blocks to do the demarcation on the inside. Mostly for the toilets and rooms I guess.

Bros pls what sizes in inches are these 100mm and 150mm? 4" and 6" right?
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Fhemmmy: 12:43am On Jul 29, 2013
Reporting for lectures
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by kcoolk4: 1:19am On Jul 29, 2013
prince_onx:
Bros pls what sizes in inches are these 100mm and 150mm? 4" and 6" right?
You are correct
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by kcoolk4: 1:31am On Jul 29, 2013
spyder880: Many readers of my threads are concerned about the costs of building a house in Nigeria. It is on the high side. This is largely due to the type of building materials we use to construct our houses, and the labour intensive methods we employ.

Talking about the labour intensive part of it, I was just discussing that with friends in Abuja few hours ago. We need to use more of self-loading concrete mixer, concrete pump,etc to reduce the number of people during "decking" or any concrete slab work. I know it'll put some people out of work initially but I think we'll get used to it eventually. We need cheaper and cost effective ways of building.
About the cost of building materials, I think we need to address importation and face backward integration policy. Our local manufacturers cannot compete with foreign companies and importers. Materials that are produced here end up being more costly because enabling environments are not there. That's why it's hard to compare building costs and standards in U.S and other advanced nations with Nigeria. In fact, it's cheaper to import cement that to produce/buy locally!.
Also, cost of land is another thing we need to factor in. no advanced nation does cash and carry housing market like Nigeria. There should be mortgage facility for affordable housing but that's topic for another day. Actually, you become a mini-government by the time you move into your house. you have to provide solar electricity or generator by yourself, borehole,sewage,drainage, security,etc by yourself. it's like something is wrong with us. Our leaders fight on the pages of newspapers but when it's time to share our common wealths, they compromise and become friends again. In my own humble submission, only God can rescue Nigerians!.

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Sagewood: 2:16am On Jul 29, 2013
@ Spyder,

Thanks for starting this thread. Long over due. Nigeria and Nigerians indeed, have
come of age and should be the agents of change, no need to wait forever for government
for everything. Private individuals and companies are the true engines for growth
and sustainable development of any great country.

I believe we need a mix of different building materials to achieve better cost control and
effectiveness in Nigeria.
Why use 9" or 6" blocks for partitions when 3", 4", 5" blocks or woods can be used,
especially if strong and supportive columns and beams are in the right places.

We use too much sandcrete blocks and mortar in Nigeria. Stucco and bricks need to introduced
as well to reduce the cost of using mortar for plastering and then painting.
I find stucco walls to be superior looking than a mortar plastered and painted walls.

2 Likes

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by mufutau55(m): 2:17am On Jul 29, 2013
kcool_k4: In my own humble submission, only God can rescue Nigerians!.

Case closed, you nailed it on the nose, my friend.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by docjuli(m): 2:19am On Jul 29, 2013
Subscribed. Waiting for @Behind bobo's input.

Well done Oga Spydo.
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by mufutau55(m): 2:20am On Jul 29, 2013
In my time, can you see Oyenusi and his gang coming with a machine-gun and blasting this glass house into pieces before making a getaway with their loot, if there is any in the house?

Hajji Mufutau

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Nobody: 2:35am On Jul 29, 2013
Somorin#1:

Assembly time: Three days!

Do we have Nigerian architectural style?
Oga, though I'm well schooled and know all about material strength vis-a-vis weight, durability etc I simply will refuse to sleep in any of these houses in my Nigeria of today.

6 Likes

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Nobody: 2:41am On Jul 29, 2013
Sagewood: @ Spyder,

Thanks for starting this thread. Long over due. Nigeria and Nigerians indeed, have
come of age and should be the agents of change, no need to wait forever for government
for everything. Private individuals and companies are the true engines for growth
and sustainable development of any great country.

I believe we need a mix of different building materials to achieve better cost control and
effectiveness in Nigeria.
Why use 9" or 6" blocks for partitions when 3", 4", 5" blocks or woods can be used,
especially if strong and supportive columns and beams are in the right places.

We use too much sandcrete blocks and mortar in Nigeria. Stucco and bricks need to introduced
as well to reduce the cost of using mortar for plastering and then painting.
I find stucco walls to be superior looking than a mortar plastered and painted walls.

This is what In my opinion will work: a play between the sandcrete blocks and wood or bricks etc

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Nobody: 2:49am On Jul 29, 2013
Niiade:

I think the sizes demarcation will have to factor in areas where you won't have the beams that will carry the deck or roof pass through, because I don't see a 150mm beam resting on a 100mm or 75mm thick wall.
I stand to be corrected though

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Nobody: 4:58am On Jul 29, 2013
clue:
Oga, though I'm well schooled and know all about material strength vis-a-vis weight, durability etc I simply will refuse to sleep in any of these houses in my Nigeria of today.

Okay so we have a good start.

So the reason for not living in this structure is solely because of armed robbers?

The solution to that is easily accomplished if that is your reason. Please also note that some of the structures are made from shipping containers.

On that note for Oga Spyder, have the Architects been incorporating safe rooms in your buildings? I understand if you cant answer this due to security concerns though.
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Nobody: 5:02am On Jul 29, 2013
clue:
I think the sizes demarcation will have to factor in areas where you won't have the beams that will carry the deck or roof pass through, because I don't see a 150mm beam resting on a 100mm or 75mm thick wall.
I stand to be corrected though

That's part of the design element.

The Architect/Structural Engineer would have designed the span accordingly.

My former house that was built in the 70s did not have a single internal wall that was load bearing, albeit it was only 1,500 square foot in size and single story.
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Nobody: 6:46am On Jul 29, 2013
Hasn't hydra form done enough for alternative building material yet their houses are not popular yet. The need for mortar is totally eliminated and the blocks are made from laterite and cement or is there a deficiency in those buildings I don't know about?

There's also broad.com, the Chinese manufacturer of cheap and long lasting homes with zero waste on site.
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Humanbeans(m): 7:31am On Jul 29, 2013
blink182: Hasn't hydra form done enough for alternative building material yet their houses are not popular yet. The need for mortar is totally eliminated and the blocks are made from laterite and cement or is there a deficiency in those buildings I don't know about?
One problem i see wt hydraform is the initial cost of the moulding machine, thats why its not very attractive for now. but on the long term, its more cost effective than sandcrete blocks.I believe any investor in hydraform blocks will make money on the long run.
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Beulah09: 7:49am On Jul 29, 2013
The starting point is to understand the major cost drivers in building.

In Nigeria, getting affordable building start with the design. That's where we enter into 'debt'. For example, look at the concrete fascias and the 'samson' type of pillars that are not there for any functionality but purely for aesthetics. You save close to N1m on the concerete fascia!

Next is space utilisation. Most of our buidings are damn too big. We have stores without shelving so we dont make use of the full store space. Space is money! All our rooms are almost always ensuite. Is that necessary? Reduce the footprint and you save money.

Next will be over design (structures)! In Nigeria we tend to over design buildings with many people not asking questions or challenging the status quo. We can get the same quality with less material if we become innovative.

The last will be type of materials used. Must we always use cement blocks? What of burnt bricks? Must we always have interlocking stones? What of having grass. Can we use hollow clay for decking? These are examples of ways to reduce the cost.

I cant end by talking about our finishing. Saw bedrooms with wall tiles! What for? Marble floors with RUGS on them again. Our 'style' makes things expensive!

14 Likes

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by EmperorOlu: 8:24am On Jul 29, 2013

This is a very good thread indeed.I think the reason for the high cost of homes in Nigeria is greed and not due to the type of building materials used.I have been involved in the housing industry in South Africa for 8 years and the thing i have learnt have shown me that we are very greedy in Nigeria.

Some of these houses that they sell for N70 million will not cost you more than N20 Million in South Africa.Why is this so? Nigerian Greed.I have done a lot of research into the problems in the Nigerian property industry and the biggest greed factor is the price of land.I mean how can anyone sell land in Nigeria for N200 Million ? undecided This is a country that lacks 24hrs electricity ,lacks good roads and even lack pipe borne water yet we are selling lands for over a Million dollars? The second problem is the fraud which is being committed by the Lagos state Government in the lekki axis where lands are being repossessed without any compensation for the people.Thius ultimatley drives up the price of land in the area and a fake send of high demand is created by such actions.At the end the ordinary get screwed and has to pay more than the land is actually worth.

Do you know that in Texas you can by an Acre of land for $100?
Do you know in Florida you can buy a waterfront land for as little as $10,000?
Do you know in Michigan you can buy a whole 4 bedroom house for as little as $13,000?

Please research all the claims i have made above too see how we are killing ourselves in Nigeria.If Americans can be so accommodating to their people why are we so greedy in Nigeria? What excuse do we have?

In Nigeria we create our own problems with our own hands because we are greedy and selfish as a people.The so called low cost housing in Nigeria is only for millionaires because the cheapest home you buy from Government is around N4 million even though they spent around N1.8 million to build those homes.

At one point in time i wanted to bring containers homes to Nigeria as i am experienced in this field but i was turned off when i found out that the cost of an empty shipping container in Nigeria is twice what it cost in South Africa.My brother we can analyze from morning to night but if we as Nigerians do not chnage our attitude of excessive greed there will be no hope for ordinary man.

This is a container home in china used as a farm depot.I can build a massive container home like this in South Africa with as little as N20 Million (Land Included + Good Roads + Upmarket Neighborhood + 24 Electricity + 24hrs Running Water ) but it Nigeria it will cost 4 times more.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Chekitaut: 9:48am On Jul 29, 2013
Glass house is the only alternative. If security is in best function.

All over the world Nigeria is the only country that building materials is expensive and substandard. Our government should stop there wicked and selfish act. in Portugal cement is approximately N450. but in Nigeria 1700-2000.

3 Likes

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Nobody: 9:58am On Jul 29, 2013
Humanbeans:
One problem i see wt hydraform is the initial cost of the moulding machine, thats why its not very attractive for now. but on the long term, its more cost effective than sandcrete blocks.I believe any investor in hydraform blocks will make money on the long run.
the end user shouldn't be the one to buy the machine but an investor. The end user should only bear the cost of buying laterite, cement and rent for the machine.
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by ashaju33: 12:46pm On Jul 29, 2013
let me subscribe before its too late

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by megainvest: 6:44am On Jul 30, 2013
Great people - Great minds - Great thread.

Our buildings are unnecessarily heavy and expensive yet we continue to have substandard structures everywhere. That is the peak of inefficiency.

We have left a very great idea behind us due to the advent of steel and concrete. where have the fibres gone? I think they can still be useful in today's construction either as fillers or insulating materials when wood is used. We only need to develop it further.

Much has already been said about use of bricks etc. There is a lot we can improve on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by mufutau55(m): 2:18pm On Jul 30, 2013
EmperorOlu:

This is a container home in china used as a farm depot.I can build a massive container home like this in South Africa with as little as N20 Million (Land Included + Good Roads + Upmarket Neighborhood + 24 Electricity + 24hrs Running Water ) but it Nigeria it will cost 4 times more.

EmperorOlu, this container house na wah o! But I love it very much.. very nicely built. I am not sure this can survive in Nigeria with all those glasses and lack of electricity to keep the place cool.

Hajji Mufutau

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Fhemmmy: 2:24pm On Jul 30, 2013
mufutau55:

EmperorOlu, this container house na wah o! But I love it very much.. very nicely built. I am not sure this can survive in Nigeria with all those glasses and lack of electricity to keep the place cool.

Hajji Mufutau

I think with padding, what do you think?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Berry Court Omole 7 Minutes Away From Alausa With C Of O Mainland Opportunity / Flood Overwhelms Asaba, Destroys Official Documents, Files, Homes / Lagos Proposes A Regional Masterplan For Ikorodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.