Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,317 members, 7,826,263 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

Have Mercy On Mechanics,"rewires", "Panelbeaters"& Other Spanner-wielding Beings - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Have Mercy On Mechanics,"rewires", "Panelbeaters"& Other Spanner-wielding Beings (1069 Views)

If Nigerian Mechanics Were Medical Doctors / Benin City Mechanic And Rewires / How Far Can ' Auto-rewires' Really Go? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have Mercy On Mechanics,"rewires", "Panelbeaters"& Other Spanner-wielding Beings by Cyberknight: 12:56pm On Jul 29, 2013
Since I first started reading this forum, I've been struck by the amount of vituperation directed at the poor chaps who tinker with our cars for us. Almost everyone has something to say about them, generally not very positive. Like most people, I've known good ones and bad ones in my 20 - odd years of operating a car in these unsalubrious parts, and in my opinion, considering the environment, the lack of formal training, their general low level of any sort of education at all, etc, etc, these chaps are doing a good job! Consider Naija doctors, engineers, IT chaps or any other people handicapped by the limitations of simply being in Naija in the first place, and lets ask ourselves; do not these mechanics, electricians/rewires and so on, who learnt on the job or as apprentices deserve more recognition for their efforts? That they can even open up an engine and manage to figure out what may be wrong therein, no matter how many attempts it takes, or notwithstanding their fuzzy knowledge about what combustion actually is and actually takes place inside an engine? This is aside from the pervasive dishonesty in ALL sectors of Naija industry. Thoughts, anyone?
Re: Have Mercy On Mechanics,"rewires", "Panelbeaters"& Other Spanner-wielding Beings by collins123(m): 12:58pm On Jul 29, 2013
An average Nigerian is a criminal.

Na where man dey work man dey chop.

Abi no be so?

Kudos to our kontri men
Re: Have Mercy On Mechanics,"rewires", "Panelbeaters"& Other Spanner-wielding Beings by ziccoit: 4:56pm On Jul 29, 2013
I got your drift but why would it be difficult for them to simply tell a car owner " I can't fix your car because of my limited knowledge"? Instead they would go on and destroy your car in attempt at playing game with your pocket.

1 Like

Re: Have Mercy On Mechanics,"rewires", "Panelbeaters"& Other Spanner-wielding Beings by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jul 29, 2013
I no know this one o..*..scratches side head* dis is confusing , Oga undecided..........kills morale cool.....

Better to die trying , than not to try at all....even though, their touch worsens the state of the car grin

May God help us..... Drive carefully and safely, that's the watchword
Re: Have Mercy On Mechanics,"rewires", "Panelbeaters"& Other Spanner-wielding Beings by cardoctor(m): 8:03pm On Jul 30, 2013
If you Don't know how its done, Don't even even attempt it.
Re: Have Mercy On Mechanics,"rewires", "Panelbeaters"& Other Spanner-wielding Beings by Cyberknight: 7:15am On Jul 31, 2013
ziccoit: I got your drift but why would it be difficult for them to simply tell a car owner " I can't fix your car because of my limited knowledge"? Instead they would go on and destroy your car in attempt at playing game with your pocket.
car-doctor:
If you Don't know how its done, Don't even even attempt it.

Thank you for your responses. But don't you see, this is the very essence of my postulation here: one might as well tell GEJ or Rochas Okorocha to stay back in their villages if they know nothing about governance. The average Naija mechanic did not choose to be a mechanic, it was a choice they embraced as a means of earning a living (just like the average Naija governor, I may add). So lack of skill is not something they can help, its the environment. Again, as I said, barring the conditions created by the general Naija situation itself (dishonesty, lack of transparency,etc,etc), some of these people are genuinely interested in trying to practise their adopted professions right and do actually do their best under the circumstances prevailing. Can we all say that we've never known or heard of a very good mechanic?
Re: Have Mercy On Mechanics,"rewires", "Panelbeaters"& Other Spanner-wielding Beings by Boss13: 7:32am On Jul 31, 2013
Nigerian mechanics are sincere criminals. I remember my last experience, I gave money to an auto electrician to buy light bulb for me. He went to the next mechanic shop to get a bulb that is totally different from mine. He was now telling me that my own is "follow-come" and they don't make it anymore. I was observing him trying to squeeze the bulb into the bulb socket. I had to stop him and I told him "Oyinbo wey mek the bulb no foolish, them no sey e go die one day and dem go make plenty spares. Abeg go change am". That was when I discovered that he collected the bulb from his friend in the next shop.

So you can see why many of them are sincere criminals.
Re: Have Mercy On Mechanics,"rewires", "Panelbeaters"& Other Spanner-wielding Beings by jpphilips(m): 4:39pm On Jul 31, 2013
yea tomorrow one will consider cutting thieves some slack

(1) (Reply)

Salon Or Wagon, Which Is Better For A Youth? / How Much Is Mack Truck / Do Not Accelerate Your Engine During Start-up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.