Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,352 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:14 AM

Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart (1859 Views)

Ten Reasons Why Sex Should Wait . / Are You A Witch, Satanist, Wizard Or Occultist? Ask Jesus Into Your Heart / Ten Reasons Why Allah Is Not God AND Why YHWH is GOD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:10am On Aug 01, 2013
Ten reasons NOT to ask Jesus into your heart.

By Todd Friel

The music weeps, the preacher pleads, “Give your heart to Jesus. You have a God shaped hole in your heart and only Jesus can fill it.” Dozens, hundreds or thousands of people who want to get their spiritual life on track make their way to the altar. They ask Jesus into their heart.
Cut to three months later. Nobody has seen our new convert in church. The follow up committee calls him and encourages him to attend a Bible study, but to no avail. We label him a backslider and get ready for the next outreach event.

Our beloved child lies in her snuggly warm bed and says, “Yes, Daddy. I want to ask Jesus into my heart.” You lead her in “the prayer” and hope that it sticks. You spend the next ten years questioning if she really, really meant it. Puberty hits and the answer reveals itself. She backslides. We spend the next ten years praying that she will come to her senses.

Telling someone to ask Jesus into their hearts has a very typical result, backsliding. the Bible says that a person who is soundly saved puts his hand to the plow and does not look back because he is fit for service. In other words, a true convert cannot backslide. If a person backslides, he never slid forward in the first place. “If any man is in Christ, he is a new creation.” (II Cor.5) No backsliding there.

Brace yourself for this one: with very few if any exceptions, anyone who asked Jesus into their hearts to be saved…is not. If you asked Jesus into your heart because you were told that is what you have to do to become a Christian, you were mis-informed.

If you have ever told someone to ask Jesus into their heart (like I have), you produced a false convert. Here is why.

1. It is not in the Bible.

There is not a single verse that even hints we should say a prayer inviting Jesus into our hearts. Some use Rev. 3:20. To tell us that Jesus is standing at the door of our hearts begging to come in.

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock." There are two reasons that interpretation is wrong.

The context tells us that the door Jesus is knocking on is the door of the church, not the human heart. Jesus is not knocking to enter someone’s heart but to have fellowship with His church.

Even if the context didn't tell us this, we would be forcing a meaning into the text (eisegesis). How do we know it is our heart he is knocking at? Why not our car door? How do we know he isn't knocking on our foot? To suggest that he is knocking on the door of our heart is superimposing a meaning on the text that simply does not exist.

The Bible does not instruct us to ask Jesus into our heart. This alone should resolve the issue, nevertheless, here are nine more reasons.

2. Asking Jesus into your heart is a saying that makes no sense.

What does it mean to ask Jesus into your heart? If I say the right incantation will He somehow enter my heart? Is it literal? Does He reside in the upper or lower ventricle? Is this a metaphysical experience? Is it figurative? If it is, what exactly does it mean? While I am certain that most adults cannot articulate its meaning, I am certain that no child can explain it. Pastor Dennis Rokser reminds us that little children think literally and can easily be confused (or frightened) at the prospect of asking Jesus into their heart.

3. In order to be saved, a man must repent (Acts 2:38).

Asking Jesus into your heart leaves out the requirement of repentance.

4. In order to be saved, a man must trust in Jesus Christ (Acts 16:31).

Asking Jesus into your heart leaves out the requirement of faith.

5. The person who wrongly believes they are saved will have a false sense of security.

Millions of people who sincerely, but wrongly, asked Jesus into their hearts think they are saved but struggle to feel secure. They live in doubt and fear because they do not have the Holy Spirit giving them assurance of salvation.

6. The person who asks Jesus into his heart will likely end up inoculated, bitter and backslidden.

Because he did not get saved by reciting a formulaic prayer, he will grow disillusioned with Jesus, the Bible, church and fellow believers. His latter end will be worse than the first.

7. It presents God as a beggar just hoping you will let Him into your busy life.

This presentation of God robs Him of His sovereignty.

8. The cause of Christ is ridiculed.

Visit an atheist web-site and read the pagans who scoff, "How dare those Christians tell us how to live when they get divorced more than we do? Who are they to say homosexuals shouldn't adopt kids when tens of thousands of orphans don’t get adopted by Christians?" Born again believers adopt kids and don’t get divorced. People who ask Jesus into their hearts do. Jesus gets mocked when false converts give Him a bad name.

9. The cause of evangelism is hindered.

While it is certainly easier to get church members by telling them to ask Jesus into their hearts, try pleading with someone to make today the day of their salvation. Get ready for a painful response. "Why should I become a Christian when I have seen so called Christians act worse than a pagan?" People who ask Jesus into their hearts give pagans an excuse for not repenting.

10. Here is the scary one. People who ask Jesus into their hearts are not saved and they will perish on the Day of Judgment.

How tragic that millions of people think they are right with God when they are not. How many people who will cry out, "Lord, Lord" on judgment day will be "Christians" who asked Jesus into their hearts?

So, what must one do to be saved? Repent and trust. (Heb.6:1) The Bible makes it clear that all men must repent and place their trust in Jesus Christ. Every man does have a "God shaped hole in their hearts," but that hole is not contentment, fulfillment and peace. Every man’s heart problem is righteousness. Instead of preaching that Jesus fulfills, we must preach that God judges and Jesus satisfies God's judgment...if a man will repent and place his trust in Him.

If you are reading this and you asked Jesus into your heart, chances are good you had a spiritual buzz for a while, but now you struggle to read your Bible, tithe, attend church and pray. Perhaps you were told you would have contentment, purpose and a better life if you just ask Jesus into your heart. I am sorry, that was a lie.

HT: Repent and Believe

http://defendingcontending.com/2009/07/21/ten-reasons-not-to-ask-jesus-into-your-heart-by-todd-friel/

Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by switdil(f): 11:21am On Aug 01, 2013
His words r for the wise, pple wit great understanding.

Pls what is church
We are the church, d cathedral building is not d church.
When HE said he is at d door knocking, He is saying that he's calling n reaching out for souls n whichever soul that is willing (total submission) to allow him in he will dwell there in
In there, he guides, directs, protects,teaches,rebukes and and forgives if we r willing to obey n be submissive.if we can do this the the issue of backslide ll be dead gone. We really need him n he cares bout our souls, he is still knocking
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:14am On Aug 02, 2013
switdil: His words r for the wise, pple wit great understanding.

Pls what is church
We are the church, d cathedral building is not d church.
When HE said he is at d door knocking, He is saying that he's calling n reaching out for souls n whichever soul that is willing (total submission) to allow him in he will dwell there in
In there, he guides, directs, protects,teaches,rebukes and and forgives if we r willing to obey n be submissive.if we can do this the the issue of backslide ll be dead gone. We really need him n he cares bout our souls, he is still knocking

Revelation 3:20 gives us some interesting food for thought:

"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me"

Is this verse a gospel verse appealing to sinners to accept Christ as their personal Saviour and Lord or is it calling the neutraist, self satisfying Laodicean church, worldly and compromising believers to repentance? undecided
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by switdil(f): 12:35am On Aug 03, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Is this verse a gospel verse appealing to sinners to accept Christ as their personal Saviour and Lord or is it calling the neutraist, self satisfying Laodicean church, worldly and compromising believers to repentance? undecided

d verse is for ALL. Remember its says if"ANY" not just one, two or three but EVERYBODY!!! If anyone SINCERELy repent unto God he will forgive em nomata how much or dreadful the sins are
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:22am On Aug 03, 2013
Dr.seno1:
grin[url][/url]

u must be drunk duh

How can I be temulent when I don't do potation?
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by Drseno1(m): 1:30am On Aug 03, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

How can I be temulent when I don't do potation?
Bros jst give it up he is ready 2 accept u,JESUS is coming back nd wen dat day comes don't say u were nt warned.God loves you,Sowi for those harsh words
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:44am On Aug 03, 2013
switdil:

d verse is for ALL. Remember its says if"ANY" not just one, two or three but EVERYBODY!!! If anyone SINCERELy repent unto God he will forgive em nomata how much or dreadful the sins are

Thanks for your giving your opinion. Can you explain why this verse is speaking to all and not just the Laodicean church?
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:46am On Aug 03, 2013
Dr.seno1:

Bros jst give it up he is ready 2 accept u,JESUS is coming back nd wen dat day comes don't say u were nt warned.God loves you,Sowi for those harsh words

Did you understand the question at all? If you did can you give your reasons?
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by switdil(f): 1:51am On Aug 03, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Thanks for your giving your opinion. Can you explain why this verse is speaking to all and not just the Laodicean church?
because Jesus died for everybody. for all v sinned, Jesus death redeemed us all
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by Drseno1(m): 8:28am On Aug 03, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Did you understand the question at all? If you did can you give your reasons?
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by Oyinprince(m): 10:35am On Aug 03, 2013
Dr.seno1:
grin[url][/url] u must be drunk duh
lol
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by Nobody: 1:22pm On Aug 03, 2013
and all those who died as holy people before Jesus or any of the sayings about him missed out on the 'grace' as they are condemned as "holy people who believed and obeyed God". or were they favored by God without the involvement of Jesus?
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:06pm On Sep 04, 2013
switdil:

Who were the 7 letters in the book of Revelation addressed to?
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:08pm On Sep 04, 2013
Dr.seno1:

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

I agree that those verses are universal and applies to the unsaved but who was the letters in Revelation addressed to, believers or unbelievers?
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by Rilwayne001: 2:16pm On Sep 04, 2013
May God av Mercy in Yu, "i want sm1 to quote d verse where Jesus himself claim dat he has cum to die for us?"....end of time tingz
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:48pm On Sep 04, 2013
Rilwayne001:

May God av Mercy in Yu, "i want sm1 to quote d verse where Jesus himself claim dat he has cum to die for us?"....end of time tingz

Get a Bible and read Isaiah 53.
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by adejide2: 9:45am On Oct 24, 2013
You are entitle to your opinion. Accepting christ into the heart is done after repentance and believe(trust) in Him. "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:" (John 1:12). It is when you that you received. You receive into something. But this time into the heart. "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." (Romans 10:9,10). In "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:" (Ephesians 2:cool we know that salvation is the gift of God. In IIcor 5: 17 quoted is us to see a change of heart or attitude in person who received christ. Whether person who received Him into his heart backslide is not anybody business because p people who received, believed or trusted Himself during His earthly ministrations and that of his apostles backslide. Christ Himself said the first the first shall be the last. Please refrain ourselves from saying what will hinder the preaching of the gospel. If we are not clear with any in the bible we free to ask from pastors otherwise we make ourselves a false teacher.
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by tpia5: 9:57am On Oct 24, 2013
And how is number four different from asking Jesus into your heart?
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by adejide2: 11:57am On Oct 24, 2013
Don't mind my grammatical errors, I use my bb to type it while in a bus. But I believe the message is clear, if not, feel free to ask question.
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by tpia5: 12:01pm On Oct 24, 2013
Seriously, this is why i strongly subscribe to the idea of coding and programming requiring a first degree as a prerequisite.

There should be a certain level of basic knowledge which should be applicable to the profession so the practitioners can stop looking half-baked.

No offence.
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by kambo(m): 3:32am On Oct 25, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

"if any man" is not of private interpretation sir.
It means wat it reads.
U set of confused folks like puttng som sick twist on d word.
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by kambo(m): 3:38am On Oct 25, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

I agree that those verses are universal and applies to the unsaved but who was the letters in Revelation addressed to, believers or unbelievers?

who was the book of romans addressed to believers or unbelievers?
"if any man b in christ he is a new creature, old things hav passed away behold all things hav become new" is for a: believers b: unbelievers
is there any epistle written to unbelievers?
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by kambo(m): 4:00am On Oct 25, 2013
If any man b in christ he is a new creature - who is d any man here! ? The roman christian?

"if any man recieve me I and my Father will come and make our
home in him "(paraphrased) - one of the statements Jesus made in d bible.
Make his home where?
- in the receiver's heart.

The man in revelation's opening d door of his heart and the man receivg Jesus here ,had Jesus already?
Dyu open d door 4 a geust who already in d house?
Thse 2 individuals didnt hav d guest already. They had to let the guest in. They had d power to let or not let d guest in.

"A tru christian cannot backslide"
says who?
What of Judas iscariot?
Yes , he wasnt born again , but was a disciple . Jesus sent him out with the 70 on missions . They healed d sick,cast out devils etc - yet he backslid.
What of demas? He was a fellow labourer with paul , yet he forsook paul for "the world".
Get ur theology straight and stop guzzlg any c.rap some foreigner spews on his blog!

1 Like

Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:21pm On Oct 25, 2013
A pastor was once approached by his six-year-old son who said he wanted to "ask Jesus into his heart." The father, suspecting that the child lacked the knowledge of sin, told him that he could do so when he was older, then sent him off to bed.

A short time later, the boy got out of bed and asked his father if he could give his life to the Saviour. The father still wasn't persuaded of the son’s understanding, so, not wanting the child's salvation to be spurious, he sent him back to his room. A third time the son returned. This time the father questioned him about whether he had broken any of the Ten Commandments. The young boy didn't think he had. When asked if he was a liar, the child said he wasn't. The father thought for a moment, then asked him how many lies he had to tell to be a liar. When it was established that one lie made a person a liar, the child thought for a moment, realised he had lied, and broke down in uncontrollable tears. When the father then asked if he wanted to "ask Jesus into his heart," the child cringed and shook his head. He was fearful because now he knew that he had sinned against God. At this point, he could do more than experimentally "ask Jesus into his heart." He could find a place of godly sorrow, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

"Testifying both to the Jews and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ" (Acts 20:21). From, The Evidence Bible -> http:///1bEnd2s
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:00pm On Oct 30, 2013
switdil:

Yes, Jesus died to redeem us all. Let's take a closer look at this letter to the comfortable Church that our Lord was addressing.

The Comfortable Church

"Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and unclothed" (Revelation 3:17)

This is the heart of Christ’s rebuke of the church at Laodicea, the "lukewarm" church (v. 16) of the last days.  This is an evangelical church for its candlestick is still in place (note Revelation 1:20; 2:5), but it has become a neutral church, "neither cold nor hot" (3:15).  The reason for its tepid witness is because it has become "rich, and increased with goods," comfortable in a culture which tends to equate material prosperity with success and God’s favour.  It may have acquired large and beautiful facilities, developed special programmes of many kinds, featured a variety of musicians and other artists, and even gained a measure of political power.  Yet, Christ calls it poor and blind and unclothed!

Not all large churches become like this, of course, but it is always a real danger.  The desire for large congregations can easily lead to compromising biblical standards of doctrine and practice.  "Woe to them that are at ease in Zion," the prophet warned (Amos 6:1).

Note that the Lord began His letter to the Laodicean church by identifying Himself as "the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God" (Revelation 3:14).  This strongly suggests that a major reason for the development of such complacency in a large church (or a small church, for that matter) is neglect of these three doctrines--the sufficiency of Christ, the inerrant authority of God’s Word, and the special creation of all things by God.

The letter to this church ends with the sad picture of Christ standing at its door, seeking admission (v. 20).  "He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches" (v. 22). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:28pm On Oct 30, 2013
kambo:

If any man b in christ he is a new creature - who is d any man here! ? The roman christian?

"if any man recieve me I and my Father will come and make our
home in him "(paraphrased) - one of the statements Jesus made in d bible.
Make his home where?
- in the receiver's heart.

What's the point of repenting from my sins and believing on the Lord Jesus Christ if all I need to do is simply to "receive Jesus into my heart?"

kambo:

The man in revelation's opening d door of his heart and the man receivg Jesus here ,had Jesus already?
Dyu open d door 4 a geust who already in d house?
Thse 2 individuals didnt hav d guest already. They had to let the guest in. They had d power to let or not let d guest in.

If you read carefully you will realise that the letter was to one of the seven Churches and not to the sinful world.

kambo:

"A tru christian cannot backslide"
says who?
What of Judas iscariot?
Yes , he wasnt born again , but was a disciple . Jesus sent him out with the 70 on missions . They healed d sick,cast out devils etc - yet he backslid.

Whether a true Christian can backslide or not is up for the jury but can a person become a disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ without being born again? Are you saying all those 70 Jesus sent out on evangelistic missions were all sinners?

kambo:

What of demas? He was a fellow labourer with paul , yet he forsook paul for "the world".
Get ur theology straight and stop guzzlg any c.rap some foreigner spews on his blog!

I believe Demas was saved and an active helper in Paul's ministry but forsook Paul for the world but that doesn't warrant the use of foul language to get your point across.
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:35pm On Oct 30, 2013
kambo:

who was the book of romans addressed to believers or unbelievers?
"if any man b in christ he is a new creature, old things hav passed away behold all things hav become new" is for a: believers b: unbelievers
is there any epistle written to unbelievers?

The epistle of Romans was written to believers, as a logical and extensive exposition and defense of Christianity.
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:38pm On Oct 30, 2013
kambo:

"if any man" is not of private interpretation sir.
It means wat it reads.
U set of confused folks like puttng som sick twist on d word.

Read the article "The Comfortable Church" posted above and educate yourself.
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:39pm On Oct 30, 2013
tpia@:

Seriously, this is why i strongly subscribe to the idea of coding and programming requiring a first degree as a prerequisite.

There should be a certain level of basic knowledge which should be applicable to the profession so the practitioners can stop looking half-baked.

No offence.

You that is educated and not half baked can you give us your opinion instead of talking in codes?
Re: Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:48pm On Oct 30, 2013
adejide2:

You are entitle to your opinion. Accepting christ into the heart is done after repentance and believe(trust) in Him. "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:" (John 1:12). It is when you that you received. You receive into something. But this time into the heart. "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." (Romans 10:9,10). In "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:" (Ephesians 2:cool we know that salvation is the gift of God. In IIcor 5: 17 quoted is us to see a change of heart or attitude in person who received christ. Whether person who received Him into his heart backslide is not anybody business because p people who received, believed or trusted Himself during His earthly ministrations and that of his apostles backslide. Christ Himself said the first the first shall be the last. Please refrain ourselves from saying what will hinder the preaching of the gospel. If we are not clear with any in the bible we free to ask from pastors otherwise we make ourselves a false teacher.

You guys should ask questions before jumping on the bandwagon of fault finding expedition. Do you know that people preach easy believism? Do you know whether people repent of their sins before or after believing in Jesus Christ? Are you saying that receiving Jesus into your heart automatically replaces repentance from sin and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ? If you fail to preach repentance and faith in Jesus but only preach that folks should receive Jesus into their hearts you are also part of the false teachers you are condemning.

(1) (Reply)

A Picture Speaks A Thousand Words. / TB Joshua's Latest False Prophecy / #‎letgodarise2015: Highlight Of Day 6 With Pastor Samuel O. Osaghae

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.