Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,816 members, 7,810,130 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:23 PM

Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo (5735 Views)

FG To Earn N2.5b Daily From N50 Bank Charge / Young Farmers Cooperative Society In Abeokuta / 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by Nobody: 4:32am On Aug 02, 2013
Farmers from 14 states of the federation where the perishable cargo terminals will be located will earn over N101 billion annually in the first two years and this is expected to increase in subsequent years.

The terminals, which are being located at the food basket regions of the country are expected to transform subsistent farmers into exporters as their produce would be enhanced, stored and packaged for export.
Plans have been laid out on how these farmers will benefit from low interest loans earmarked for them by the federal government through the banks and expansion programme for farm lands which will be facilitated by the state and local governments.
THISDAY learnt that each participating partner state for the Perishable Cargo Airport Transformation Initiative “will have exports totalling between $30-69 million turnover yearly, depending on the value chain they adopt.”

A source from the Ministry of Aviation disclosed that contribution margin of 14 states would be approximately $1 billion and the margin on the National GDP “is considerably high, given the projected employment numbers in each state and the entrepreneurship dynamics. But this figure which will manifest in the first two years is expected to increase from the third year by 35 per cent.”
Countries like Kenya, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Ivory Coast have been benefiting from the export of perishable cargo to the West for years and earnings from such exports boost these nations’ GDP.

The Minister of Aviation, Stella Oduah told DAY on how successful the programme would be and the encouragement government is getting from international organisations that would buy the perishable goods from Nigeria.
“The encouragement we are getting from international organisations is immense. The reason for this is because the available potential of that programme is huge. If you look at Kenyan, Ethiopian and South Africa economy such export contribute to their foreign exchange accruals. If you take Kenya alone and do multiplier effect of the country, which is about the size of, let’s say, Enugu state and let’s say you have Kenya’s economy spread over 13 states of Nigeria, government would have holistically bottomed up the growth of our economy. This means that domestic economy of the country at the rural level would have had independent access to international market.”

“It means that our aunties, our cousins, our relations living in rural communities will have access to international market. We would have developed some rural economies that would be independent of allocations from the Federal Government and independent from oil resources. It would be one of the greatest platforms for government to stop rural, urban migration. It will grow employment opportunity; it will have all the value chain properly ad completely developed. It will encourage the growth of new middle class.”
Government has already started the construction of the perishable cargo terminals and it is expected that by end of next year all of them would be completed and the programme involves all the tiers of government and it is also inter-ministerial.

“Government has set up inter-ministerial committee led by aviation because we are key players in the programme, in the sense that we are providing the infrastructure, the platform; so we are working with the Ministry of Agriculture, the Ministry of Water Resources, because water has to be available; we are working with the Ministry of Finance.
“The Ministry of Agriculture will provide the seedling for the cooperatives. We are also working with the states. The states will have to make it work. We are working with the local government chairmen because they will also have to make it work,” the minister also said.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/farmers-to-earn-n101bn-annually-from-perishable-cargo/155167/

7 Likes

Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by searay(m): 10:09am On Aug 02, 2013
This is necessary because "NO FARMER, NO NATION".
Good God Almighty! Is this me?
Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by obizy1(m): 10:09am On Aug 02, 2013
1st 2 comment
Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by kingarizona(m): 10:09am On Aug 02, 2013
Hmmm...Nice!!!
#1 fresh air#

1 Like

Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by EllyBrainyTM: 10:09am On Aug 02, 2013
Hope is not another Story,Story....

1 Like

Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by Xtana: 10:10am On Aug 02, 2013
I want to be a farmer, In fact, am a farmer. No I can go for the loan. Last to comment!!!!!
Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by obizy1(m): 10:10am On Aug 02, 2013
Farming tins on my mind
Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by Nobody: 10:11am On Aug 02, 2013
no matter how many billion una pour put, I still can't be a farmer. God 4bid

1 Like

Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by pboiskinpy(m): 10:11am On Aug 02, 2013
we wait and see...
Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by mafiacent(m): 10:12am On Aug 02, 2013
Make Sense

www.ranksng.com
Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by sexymoma(f): 10:12am On Aug 02, 2013
I must marry a farmer.. grin
Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by searay(m): 10:13am On Aug 02, 2013
obizy1: 1st 2 comment
Sorry, try again next time. Besides are you a farmer?

1 Like

Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by Nobody: 10:14am On Aug 02, 2013
Too much money,plenty moni o,e be like say we get moni pass America.
Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by Nobody: 10:17am On Aug 02, 2013
sexymoma: I must marry a farmer.. grin
Welcome to ours family mrs farmer. My step brother is a farmer please come and marry him.

1 Like

Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by henryvirus(m): 10:18am On Aug 02, 2013
Dnt b suprised dat Only Obasanjo nd sum rich farmers will benefit from this. D common farmer will not......c as dem talk am lyk say na all farmers go get am

1 Like

Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by WRITERSTAB: 10:18am On Aug 02, 2013
Cool...
18+ visit www.writerstab.
Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by Fazhy: 10:20am On Aug 02, 2013
searay: This is necessary because "NO FARMER, NO NATION".
Good God Almighty! Is this me?

Some countries actually imports almost everything they consume, yet they are still great. Though want Nigeria to improve on agriculture.

1 Like

Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by horlabiyi(m): 10:20am On Aug 02, 2013
I hope they won't forget those real farmers in the rural areas.
Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by obizy1(m): 10:21am On Aug 02, 2013
searay: Sorry, try again next time. Besides are you a farmer?
no bt u'll be surprised with d no. of nairalanders dt wanna be farmers nw or marry dem.
Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by Jccy(f): 10:25am On Aug 02, 2013
2nd to commet,.......WOW
Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by Taich(m): 10:33am On Aug 02, 2013
This is a welcome development, considering the fact that about 50% of the world's food is thrown away every year. And more people are hungry while these foods are produced but are spoilt before they get to markets that needs them. I believe in Nigeria. We are growing. More good news to come.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by Jayses(m): 10:36am On Aug 02, 2013
Y
Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by osbornfotovideo: 10:38am On Aug 02, 2013
ANOTHER WAY OF INTRODUCING FAKE FARMER, LET IT NOT HAPPEN LIKE FUEL SUBSIDY shocked shocked shocked
Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by Nobody: 10:44am On Aug 02, 2013
Wow! This would definitely motivate peeps like myself that would like to go into farming.

Agriculture is the way forward!

1 Like

Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by miteolu(m): 10:46am On Aug 02, 2013
THIS IS EARNINGS ON PAPER

1 Like

Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by Clemzy16(m): 10:56am On Aug 02, 2013
is jamb change of course still on sale?
Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by slimfit1(m): 10:58am On Aug 02, 2013
Yungwizzzy: no matter how many billion una pour put, I still can't be a farmer. God 4bid

You need help, you don't know that even posh people are farmers.
Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by george1986: 10:58am On Aug 02, 2013
Yungwizzzy: no matter how many billion una pour put, I still can't be a farmer. God 4bid

Mistake yarns, this is the type thing people get killed for. Watch your language, every occupation started simple and grew, Farming in what you think it is,
Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by Nobody: 11:00am On Aug 02, 2013
Can't this government do something and when the farmers are already making the money before they come out to tell us? Haba!
Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by ayobase(m): 11:00am On Aug 02, 2013
I'm a farmer, and not just a farmer, but a farmer located at the food basket of the Nation!

Yeah rightt, u know what I mean.....yes, yes....u gerrit.

I'm a potential billionaire...what are u saying now?

1 Like

Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by MostHigh: 11:07am On Aug 02, 2013

But you want food to eat

Mumu.
smiley

2 Likes

Re: Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo by taharqa2: 11:08am On Aug 02, 2013
I hope that d President keeps Oduah as Aviation Min if she reali is not interested in running for Governorship..... FANTASTIC idea. One of d very best, with what wud be a huge positive effect on d Agric sector

(1) (2) (Reply)

Production Of Anointing Oil (goyal) Business / Sudden Chinese Decision Shakes The Corners Of The Entire World. / Osun Farmers Head For Lagos In Aregbesola's Osun Farmers Trains Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.