Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,510 members, 7,826,936 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

The Nigerian Healthcare System; Awful Or Awesome? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Nigerian Healthcare System; Awful Or Awesome? (1251 Views)

Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us / What Does The Nigerian Healthcare System Need The Most / Nigerian Healthcare System: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Healthcare System; Awful Or Awesome? by KOPHO125: 7:26pm On Aug 03, 2013
Are Nigerian Hospitals truly what they are meant to be?
I have always pondered, and searched endlessly over the years for the reason(s) why the answer to the question above is NO. A few years ago, I was filled with so much enthusiasm to attend my first hospital ward round (then as a clinical student). On entering the wards, I couldn’t withstand what I saw and the kind of odours I perceived. In the twinkling of an eye, thousands of thoughts were running through my mind, and then, a question ensued; ‘is it a crime to be created as a Nigerian? The pitiful state of these patients left me helpless and hopeless. My curiosity was intensified by my experiences over the years- a very surprising and heart-breaking one.
Let me share one of such with you. Two years ago, I attended a public lecture on Nigerian Healthcare reform in which Dr Mike Egboh, the National Programme Director of PATHS (Partnership for the Transforming Health System), was the guest speaker. In the course of the lecture, he was able to shed light on the current state of our healthcare system. At that point, I realised that what I seemed to have experienced was just a tip of the iceberg, I was dazed! Suddenly, the agony that ate me up that moment is comparable to what a mother experiences when seeing her child suffer. The climax of the event was the display of a video. The video showed ugly scenes of some Nigerians with health challenges seeking- but couldn’t get- the necessary medical attention. We were made to understand that some of them later died. I learnt that the former President (Late Umaru Musa Yar’adua) wept profusely in the Aso Villa after watching this video having been shocked by the health ‘status’ of the common citizens. You can imagine how horrible our healthcare system is. By the time the lecture came to an end, it could not be likened to any event other than a funeral; everybody, including myself, looked so much dejected.
The hospital is meant to be a place of succour for the citizen-turned-patients and clients. But what operates in our own hospitals contradicts this. The much dreaded “Nigerian hospitals” send jitter down the spine of the citizens; we have all lost confidence in the system. It’s so bad that a lot of people prefer to ‘manage’ themselves at home and then face the consequences if things go the other way- even death. On several occasions, I see young, promising youths- with great potentials- who have been bed-ridden, battered with emotional imbalances about their state of health in the ward; they are not even sure if they would ever ‘recover’. What about those valuable citizens who deserve to live but rather die because of our poor healthcare system? It’s a pity that the pain I feel at the sight of these ugly incidents could not be well conveyed in this short piece of writing. You will see the picture more clearly if you are a health worker, patient or patient relative in any of the Nigerian hospitals- especially those owned by the government.
You will find it almost unbelievable that some patient relatives (who have already been traumatized by the status of their parents/grandparents, siblings, children, uncles/aunties coupled with the undue high cost of medical services) sleep in the open, unprotected hospital premises where they are susceptible to harsh weather conditions and its associated dangers.
The cost of some very essential diagnostic medical equipment like Computed Tomography (CT scan), Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is so high that some patients ‘give up’ on them. Imagine telling an average citizen of the country in which over 70% of the citizens live on less than $2US per day to pay between N30, 000 to N100, 000 for a test that does not guarantee the recovery of such a person. You can always predict what their disposition would be towards this. What about the cost of bed space, drugs, other tests and treatment, feeding? We have forgotten so soon that the day we cease to care for one another is the end of humanity!
We can’t even boast of state-of-the-art equipment in our hospitals in the 21st century. Our health statistics are shocking. Reading some of them gives me heartache. For example, Nigeria Health Service is ranked 51 out of 53 in Africa; Nigeria has the second highest maternal mortality rate (death of a woman as a result of childbearing) in the whole world; Nigeria is one of the only three countries with poliomyelitis (an infectious disease that paralyses mostly children) in the world.
Having said all of these, the question is: Who are those to be blamed for this sorry state of the Nigerian Healthcare System?

Link: www.kennydamola.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Healthcare System; Awful Or Awesome? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Aug 03, 2013
In Nigeria, who is in charge of building hospitals?
Who is in charge of maintaining the neatness of hospitals?
Who is in charge of university colleges of medicine/health?
Who is in charge of training medical students?
The answer to the above questions, is the same answer to your own question. I am done.
Re: The Nigerian Healthcare System; Awful Or Awesome? by Infomizer(m): 7:42pm On Aug 03, 2013
I really never gave a hoot about the health care system until I lost a dear friend (and a very smart one at that) as a result of their incompetence. Since then, I have never been able to come terms with the fact that it is for real. The nightmarish situation is only avoidable if you have the financial means. Well, not many do and it is quite unfortunate. Identifying the culprits here won't solve the problem. Work hard/smart and make enough money to take care of yourself and your loved ones when the occasion arises. That's my take!
Re: The Nigerian Healthcare System; Awful Or Awesome? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Aug 03, 2013
Infomizer: I really never gave a hoot about the health care system until I lost a dear friend (and a very smart one at that) as a result of their incompetence. Since then, I have never been able to come terms with the fact that it is for real. The nightmarish situation is only avoidable if you have the financial means. Well, not many do and it is quite unfortunate. Identifying the culprits here won't solve the problem. Work hard/smart and make enough money to take care of yourself and your loved ones when the occasion arises. That's my take!
so everybody should just save the life of his loved ones alone, while our government owned hospitals keep shaking? This is not the best solution please?
Re: The Nigerian Healthcare System; Awful Or Awesome? by KOPHO125: 9:14pm On Aug 03, 2013
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
maxwello.yg:

so everybody should just save the life of his loved ones alone, while our government owned hospitals keep shaking? This is not the best solution please?
 believe we should not accept mediocrity.Even though d change we desire is a long term project,it is achievable...
Re: The Nigerian Healthcare System; Awful Or Awesome? by KOPHO125: 9:49pm On Aug 03, 2013
maxwello.yg:
In Nigeria, who is in charge of building hospitals?
Who is in charge of maintaining the neatness of hospitals?
Who is in charge of university colleges of medicine/health?
Who is in charge of training medical students?
The answer to the above questions, is the same answer to your own question. I am done.
Well,d government take d largest portion of d blame.However,d citizens can't be left out of d picture.
Re: The Nigerian Healthcare System; Awful Or Awesome? by baynix(m): 9:44pm On Aug 04, 2013
I went to a State General Hospital early this year to see a dentist. If you see the kinda tools they brought to polish my teeth for me? I was the one telling the woman to sterilize them because i cant risk my life all in the name of whitening teeth.

Another case is the Nurses stealing Drugs which are meant for the masses. They steal it to their own drugstore to sell.

Corruption in every corner of Nigeria!!

================================

Last Bullet: AWFUL!! undecided
Re: The Nigerian Healthcare System; Awful Or Awesome? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Aug 05, 2013
Yes o! Nurses now have stores where they sell medical drugs. They operate now as pharmacists... But I did not know they steal these drugs from Hospitals lmao!
Naija is doomed!
Re: The Nigerian Healthcare System; Awful Or Awesome? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Aug 05, 2013
KOPHO 125: Well,d government take d largest portion of d blame.However,d citizens can't be left out of d picture.
true
Re: The Nigerian Healthcare System; Awful Or Awesome? by KOPHO125: 8:10pm On Aug 05, 2013
baynix: I went to a State General Hospital early this year to see a dentist. If you see the kinda tools they brought to polish my teeth for me? I was the one telling the woman to sterilize them because i cant risk my life all in the name of whitening teeth.

Another case is the Nurses stealing Drugs which are meant for the masses. They steal it to their own drugstore to sell.

Corruption in every corner of Nigeria!!

================================

Last Bullet: AWFUL!! undecided
M not surprised at all cos  av seen scenarios dt are even worse dan dis on several occasions.it z well!
Re: The Nigerian Healthcare System; Awful Or Awesome? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Aug 05, 2013
i think it is government to blame. government should implement public private partnership fast in health sectors and make health care free for needy ones. there are a lot of waste in heealth sector. a lot of corruption as well.
Re: The Nigerian Healthcare System; Awful Or Awesome? by Infomizer(m): 12:42am On Aug 06, 2013
maxwello.yg:

If everyone could afford & access quality healthcare, the wrongs of the system should correct themselves.
Re: The Nigerian Healthcare System; Awful Or Awesome? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 06, 2013
Blame it all you want on facilities, or a lack thereof and the government and bla black but the truth is the healthcare workers ( doctors, nurses, pharmacists, lab people) are even more to blame. If the government were to magically improve facilities, etc, the health system in Nigeria would still be in a funk because of the attitude of the average health worker. Lazy, grossly incompetent, lacking in knowledge, etc etc. Blame it's on the government all you want but when it comes down to it, it is YOUR fault, yeah you and the many other halfbaked, unmotivated healthworkers in Nigeria

(1) (Reply)

So What Would Be The Job Of The Medical Doctor? / Ebola: Suspected Cases In Abuja? / Trado Medical Doctor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.