Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,446 members, 7,816,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Nigerian Healthcare System: - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerian Healthcare System: (2313 Views)

Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us / What Does The Nigerian Healthcare System Need The Most / The Nigerian Healthcare System; Awful Or Awesome? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Healthcare System: by stepitup(f): 12:39am On Dec 11, 2009
In class we recently discussed the proposed US universal health care and compered different INDUSTRIALIZED countries, all developing countries were left out of the discussion.

My question is what kind of health care program system/program, I know there isnt a national insurance program or so. But I mean does the government subsidize cost of medicine and care or is it free, I appreciate ur response.
Re: Nigerian Healthcare System: by Parohfrey(f): 1:21am On Dec 11, 2009
There is the National Health Insurance Scheme in Nigeria - kindly do a search and see what its principles are.

The law establishing it is here in this link:

http://www.nigeria-law.org/National%20Health%20Insurance%20Scheme%20Decree.htm

Summary of its provisions:

The objectives of the Scheme shall be to -

(a) ensure that every Nigerian has access to good health care services;

(b) protect families from the financial hardship of huge medical bills;

(c) limit the rise in the cost of health care services; (d) ensure equitable distribution of health care costs among different income groups;

(d) maintain high standard of health care delivery services within the Scheme;.

(f) ensure efficiency in health care services;

(g improve and harness private sector participation in the provision of health care services;

(h) ensure adequate distribution of health facilities within the Federation;

(i) ensure equitable patronage of all levels of health care;

(j) ensure the availability of funds to the health sector for improved services.

6. The Scheme shall be responsible for -

(a) registering health maintenance organisations and health care providers under. the Scheme;

(b) issuing appropriate guidelines to maintain the viability of the Scheme;

(c) approving format of contracts proposed by the health maintenance organisations for all health care providers;

(d) determining, after negotiation, capitation and other payments due to health care providers, by the health maintenance organisations;

(e) advising the relevant bodies on inter-relationship of the Scheme with other social security services;

(f) the research and statistics of matters relating to the Scheme;

(g) advising on the continuous improvement of quality of services provided under the Scheme through guidelines issued by the Standard Committee established under section 45 of this Decree;

(h) determining the remuneration and allowances of all staff of the Scheme;

(i) exchanging information and data with the National Health Management Information System, Nigerian Social Insurance Trust Fund, the Federal Office of Statistics, the Central Bank of Nigeria, banks and other financial institutions, the Federal Inland Revenue Service, the State Internal Revenue Services and other relevant bodies;

(j) doing such other things as are necessary or expedient for the purpose of achieving the objectives of the Scheme under this Decree.
Re: Nigerian Healthcare System: by mamagee3(f): 1:28am On Dec 11, 2009
Does Nigeria have a healthcare system? shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian Healthcare System: by Parohfrey(f): 1:31am On Dec 11, 2009
you wont know. Nigeri aaint no jungle mama.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/National%20Health%20Insurance%20Scheme%20Decree.htm

(1) (Reply)

Ebola: Why Is Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu (minister For Health)still Keeping His Job? / Pharmacist Assasinated In Gboko(graphic Photo) / Ladies! Suffering From Vag!na Itching And Burning? Read How To Get Over It Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.