Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,595 members, 7,820,135 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1689) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5973384 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1686) (1687) (1688) (1689) (1690) (1691) (1692) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:39am On Jun 18, 2018
lionel4power:
how accurate is this Scud B? What is the CEP? Any idea

Generally scuds r not accurate missiles.

Scud b ~ 500m CEP , not confirmed as I only read about it .
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 9:44am On Jun 18, 2018
EMW01:

I wish i could be as optimistic as you but i find it a bit ironical that KDF managed from 2009 - 2013 to acquire : 67 puma mraps, 12 second hand f-5 jets, thousands of m4 rifles, 3 mi-17 helicopters, 18 nora b52 howitzers, 6 grob light trainers , 4 harbin Z9 helicopters and overhaul of its panhard and vickers tanks with a budget of around 600 mil - 800 mil USD.

However from 2014 to date the defence budget has hovered around the 1B usd mark with an additional 100 mil - 200 mil usd for modernization and yet there has been nothing of significance that has been acquired. There is a real possibility that they have been acquiring 'AIR'.

No.Just.No. Firstly the military budget,actually any budget is broken down into main line items or appropriations looking like this pic. There's a cost of maintaining all those platforms. Even your arty and mortars have a more or less fixed annual maintenance cost,eg the Nora costs over 0.5 mn$ yearly upkeep. http://nationsdawnofanera.weebly.com/artillery-systems.html

Fyi,one 105 mm shell averages 300$ depending on type.

105mm NATO APERS: Weight: 17.45 kg; Price: $240 (S/R)

105mm NATO CHEM: Weight: 19.47 kg; Price: $270 (R/-)

105mm NATO HE: Weight: 18.1 kg; Price: $255 (S/R)

105mm NATO HE BB: Weight: 14.4 kg; Price: $335 (R/-)

105mm NATO HE ER: Weight: 15.5 kg; Price: $220 (R/-)

105mm NATO HE RAP: Weight: 19.9 kg; Price: $305 (S/R)

105mm NATO HEAT: Weight: 16.23 kg; Price: $255 (R/-)

105mm NATO ICM-DP: Weight: 19.05 kg; Price: $1530 (R/-)

http://www.pmulcahy.com/ammunition/howitzer_rounds.html

Each gun will shoot at least 300 rounds 3x a year during live fire exes-we haven't counted rounds during unit exes and training. You've seen all the training pics in here. Btw.my info has it there are at least 30+ Z 9s in service,slated to reach roughly 50 in the next 2 years.
Also what is your POL allocation,petrol,oil and lubricant allocation for all your tri service formations to fly fight and sail in war and in peace? This includes the non tac vehicles like buses to carry your guys to bases for inter unit competitions and pickups and light trucks to transport food stuffs.
What about housing? Ideally,the soldiers and officers should be housed on base- from 3 bedroom married quarters down to single bedroom bachelors qrts. Don't forget schools for their kids,sickbays,hospitals,dentistries etc etc. The maintenance cost for all housing and construction including painting rebuild and repair is generally 0.5 to 1% of total value annually.
Next item is personnel,including pay and pensions and other benefits. Remember there are 30k in all services with pm pay starting at 40000 ksh or 400$ for privates,the vast bulk of all forces. Lts get 1300 $,captains 1600$ ,majors 2200$ rising to 3000$ for colonels. IDK the widows and kids benefits off head but IIRC its maybe 50000$ per private and there are over 250 KIA in Somalia since 2011.
By the time you think of much needed procurement like transport,more urgent than new jets,imo the only option is to increase your budget. C 295s start at 35 mn$ a piece with a 4 mn$ yearly upkeep. If it were up to me I'd get at least 6 bringing down the cost significantly. Btw,one was seen in 2014 doing circuits at MAB during a purchase probe.
Dude,our budget is good! Our per capita spend per soldier is higher than most regionally. I'd first need a good hard look at Peru's military budget.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 1:26pm On Jun 18, 2018
This is why knowledgeable Nairobi observers screamed with laughter when the Tutsi supremacist,M7 broke the bank in 2011 buying 6 Su 30s. These twin engine heavy weight multi role FSBs are maintenance heavy and Russians typically don't fall over themselves fulfiling after sales agreements for relatively small orders like this-ask Nemesis8u.
I'm told, but can't prove tbh that only 3 are now air worthy,with one being written off in 2012. In another 5 yrs how many will still be flying?

He should've invested in transport and light attack planes like low hours Air Tractors and/or Tucs.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 1:49pm On Jun 18, 2018
kikuyu1:
This is why knowledgeable Nairobi observers screamed with laughter when the Tutsi supremacist,M7 broke the bank in 2011 buying 6 Su 30s. These twin engine heavy weight multi role FSBs are maintenance heavy and Russians typically don't fall over themselves fulfiling after sales agreements for relatively small orders like this-ask Nemesis8u.
I'm told, but can't prove tbh that only 3 are now air worthy,with one being written off in 2012. In another 5 yrs how many will still be flying?

He should've invested in transport and light attack planes like low hours Air Tractors and/or Tucs.

Very foolish procurement. Are Ugandans flying them now or the contractors are still in charge?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 2:02pm On Jun 18, 2018
iblawi:

Very foolish procurement. Are Ugandans flying them now or the contractors are still in charge?
I remember the shitstorm that procurement kick started on Berg's blog grin

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jun 18, 2018
Locally made Nigerian bulletproof vest

9 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 4:25pm On Jun 18, 2018
iblawi:

Last I heard they keep quitting to join Kenya Airways! Flying Sues only pays 500$ pm and at KQ as a First Officer with multi jet ratings starts at 6x that. M7 blundered on so many levels with that procurement it's not even funny.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tinfoil: 9:04pm On Jun 18, 2018
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 9:17pm On Jun 18, 2018
Tinfoil:
Shabab ambushes in Kenya

https://videos.files./oc49E0TG/hcca3arakat-al-shabacc84b-al-mujacc84hidicc84n-22no-protection-except-by-belief-or-covenant-of-security-622_dvd.mp4

I must commend the kenyans for spearheading this insurgency war for this long. Fighting insurgent is not child's play. Even Uganda couldn't use any of the SU-30 and Mi24 aircraft for protecting ground troops.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jun 18, 2018
NIGERIAN AIR FORCE DEPLOYS COMBAT HELICOPTER TO GUSAU

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has today, 18 June 2018, deployed a combat helicopter to its 207 Quick Response Group (QRG) in Gusau. The deployment of the weaponized EC-135 helicopter is part of efforts aimed at intensifying the fight against armed banditry in Zamfara State and environs. The helicopter will operate from the recently constructed helipads at 207 QRG Gusau thereby enhancing overall operational effectiveness. Accordingly, the NAF will be better positioned to provide the needed air support to the additional surface forces just deployed by the Defence Headquarters to tackle the security challenges in the State. Other NAF air assets, however, remain available on nearby alternate airfields to add impetus to air operations in the State as might be necessary.

In a related development, the Air Officer Commanding Special Operations Command of the NAF, Air Vice Marshal Ismaila Kaita, also undertook an operational visit to the Unit today to obtain firsthand information on the situation and address any possible challenges. The visit revealed that the morale of the deployed NAF Special Forces is high and they are in a state of high alert.

While thanking you for your usual cooperation, you are please requested to disseminate the foregoing for the awareness of the general public.

OLATOKUNBO ADESANYA
Air Vice Marshal
Director of Public Relations and Information
Nigerian Air Force

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jun 18, 2018

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 11:59pm On Jun 18, 2018
Seeker 400

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by newafricaken254: 10:25am On Jun 19, 2018
The suspected Al-Shabaab militants who killed eight police in Tarbaj, Wajir County, made away with the officers’ eight rifles and more than 540 bullets, a police report shows.

The Nation has established that the rifles and magazines that the five administration police officers and three national police reservists were armed with had at least 60 rounds each.The attackers took away the slain officers’ six AK47 and two G3 rifles, according to the report sent to Vigilance House, the police headquarters in Nairobi.

Three of the missing weapons had 90 bullets each while four had 60.

In an exclusive interview with the Nation, a local administrator, who requested anonymity because he is not authorised to give media reports, said they could not find any rifle on arrival at the scene.We can’t tell for sure if they were taken by the militants or not,” he said, suggesting that locals might have as well taken the weapons.

The officers died on Sunday when their Toyota Landcruiser hit an improvised explosive device in Tarbaj as they patrolled on Kotulo–Bojigaras road.

The report names the officers who lost their lives as AP Sargent Abdiaziz Ali, AP Constable Abdullahi Hirab, AP Constable Thomas Mchere, AP constable Ali Mohammed Ali and AP Constable Ali Ahmed, who was the driver.

The police reservists are identified as Abdullahi Sheikh Yusuf, Daudi Ibrahim Ahmed and Muhumed Yakub Abdi. link https://www.nation.co.ke/counties/wajir/Al-Shabaab-arms-haul-in-Wajir-IED-attack-Tarbaj/3444790-4618028-50ukjk/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ_waFEPU-Y
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by newafricaken254: 10:37am On Jun 19, 2018
almost one week ago five kenyan general service unit officers were killed,when their truck was struck by an IED in the same region

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_DQTl0KCgU

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 4:39pm On Jun 19, 2018
@ViceAdmiral Are you able to upload the video that was recently posted on the Navy’s Facebook page to YouTube? I Forgot the login details for my channel sad
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tinfoil: 6:58pm On Jun 19, 2018
iblawi:

I must commend the kenyans for spearheading this insurgency war for this long. Fighting insurgent is not child's play. Even Uganda couldn't use any of the SU-30 and Mi24 aircraft for protecting ground troops.

They could do better if they funded and equipped the police well, in the video you can see that the police sleep in tents. They are also paid so little that some of them sell their ammo to the shabab
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 7:18pm On Jun 19, 2018
Tinfoil:

They could do better if they funded and equipped the police well, in the video you can see that the police sleep in tents. They are also paid so little that some of them sell their ammo to the shabab

lol

Kenya is not a wealthy country that can provide everything needed for such a long insurgency war. There must be lapses and for me they've really tried.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:28am On Jun 20, 2018
Nigeria

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:48am On Jun 20, 2018
Anyone here who's interested in World War II documentaries, i recommend "Apocalypse World War II" series documentary.

It's in colour, not black and white.

6 part documentary, really enjoyable.

Free to view on YouTube.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:24am On Jun 20, 2018
AMISOM Somalia

Nigerian police officer (middle), flanked by 2 Somali police men.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:26am On Jun 20, 2018
AMISOM

KDF soldier "searching for his lost coin".

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ViceAdmirlAgain: 3:16pm On Jun 20, 2018
gottfried21:
@ViceAdmiral Are you able to upload the video that was recently posted on the Navy’s Facebook page to YouTube? I Forgot the login details for my channel sad
I hadn't...its less than a minute even sad, will upload on my YouTube channel later in the week
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SternProphet: 3:53pm On Jun 20, 2018
Odunayaw:
I remember the shitstorm that procurement kick started on Berg's blog grin

Nigeria and S.Africa at the only smart countries in hardware procurement on Africa. Oh sorry , add Senegal and Cameroon to that list. Egypt, Algeria, Chad, Uganda, Sudan don't know anything about relevant, fit for purpose arms buying. They are merely keeping Russian and French OEMs employees in employment

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 4:28pm On Jun 20, 2018
SternProphet:

Nigeria and S.Africa at the only smart countries in hardware procurement on Africa. Oh sorry , add Senegal and Cameroon to that list. Egypt, Algeria, Chad, Uganda, Sudan don't know anything about relevant, fit for purpose arms buying. They are merely keeping Russian and French OEMs employees in employment
When the tornado begins to blow, I don't want to be associated with this post o grin

However, Nigeria smart how? Was it not too long ago some people bought us dead & dying materiel?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jun 20, 2018
Colonel Kazir graduates with a distinction beating others from 71 nations at US Army School. He was also awarded the best graduate prize.
Congratulations.
Nigerian power cool

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jun 20, 2018
SternProphet:

Nigeria and S Africa are underfunded....... Don't confuse this with being smart.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jun 20, 2018
NA

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 10:40am On Jun 21, 2018
SternProphet:

Really? Pls,elaborate,sir.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:48am On Jun 21, 2018
[color=#006600][/color]
Henry240:
Locally made Nigerian bulletproof vest

By DICON right.... And has it been certified to be up to quality.... And for God sakes those guys are special ops. . they don't have a sidearm
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 1:20pm On Jun 21, 2018
jln115:

Nigeria and S Africa are underfunded....... Don't confuse this with being smart.

I would say that considering our lack of funds, we have been exceptionally smart.

- 200+ Badger IFV's, one of the best in its class
- Acquisition of the A-darter
- Acquisition of the T5-52
- Project Biro
- Upgrade of AA to Skysheild standard
- Upgrade of SANDF field communications to improve ethnocentric capabilities under Proj Radiate
- Ra placement of the feild kitchens, not only are they now modern but they are air-transportable

This is just the more exciting of the plethora of aquisitions. Not bad considering the context

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 21, 2018
patches689:

I would say that considering our lack of funds, we have been exceptionally smart.

- 200+ Badger IFV's, one of the best in its class
- Acquisition of the A-darter
- Acquisition of the T5-52
- Project Biro
- Upgrade of AA to Skysheild standard
- Upgrade of SANDF field communications to improve ethnocentric capabilities under Proj Radiate
- Ra placement of the feild kitchens, not only are they now modern but they are air-transportable

This is just the more exciting of the plethora of aquisitions. Not bad considering the context

- Considering there are around 700 Ratel in service, 242 Badger is not enough to replace all of them, however I have the suspicion that our Ratel 90, Ratel 80(mortar) and Ratel ZT3 are still going to be in service for quite some time!!

- Only 6 T5-52....but considering we swapped 6 G5 for 6 T5-52s it's a pretty sweet deal.

- The OPV requirement of project Biro has been differed to 2019/2020

Look not saying South Africa is making dumb acquisition, but saying Algeria and Egypt are making dumb acquisitions simply because they are making making large acquisitions is a bit ignorant!!

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 1:54pm On Jun 21, 2018
kikuyu1:

kikuyu1:

Oops! Just realised I should've provided some examples. Here's two: last years purchase of 12 ex Jordan AH 1s of which 4 were delivered. Btw,they pimped out a squadron of F 5s a decade earlier. The buy of 12 MD 530 Cayuse is a better example since we have all the receipts.
In total, KDF will receive 12 MD530F weaponries helicopters, 24 heavy machinegun pods, 24 HMP400 machine gun pod systems, 24 M260 rocket pods and 4,032 M151 high-explosive rockets.

Others equipment include 1,536 M274 smoke rockets, 400,000 rounds of .50 calibre ammunition and communications/navigation equipment.

US is also expected to provide Kenya with logistical support, training and technical assistance and spare parts and field service support under the deal.
https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2017/05/08/kdf-acquires-12-american-light-attack-helicopter-gunships-other_c1556707
As you can see it was a typical US deal. It includes training,after sales including later mid life upgrade and ordnance,a total life cycle package. The 530 with bigger engines is a follow on of the 500 already in service with the aircav.
Breathlessly awaiting your expert critique.sir!

(1) (2) (3) ... (1686) (1687) (1688) (1689) (1690) (1691) (1692) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: kabe1 and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.