Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,617 members, 7,816,540 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (564) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5965457 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (561) (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 31, 2016
scene of today suicide bombing blasts and gunfire attack at CID headquarters in Mogadishu , attack claimed by AlShabaab

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jul 31, 2016
this one is easy,I.D the following AK variant with this Sudanese military police ?

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jul 31, 2016
africaken254:
this one is easy,I.D the following AK variant with this Sudanese military police ?

It's an Hungarian variant AK.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 12:06pm On Jul 31, 2016
africaken254:
The Sudanese copy of the Chinese copy of the Ukrainian copy of the Russian AKM rifle which is the variant of the AK-47. grin grin grin grin

Okay okay! I'm not good with small arms.

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jul 31, 2016
Henry240:

It's an Hungarian variant AK.
give us the name,or lose to some else grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jul 31, 2016
africaken254:

That's an AMD-65...... I know my guns brahgringrin

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 12:34pm On Jul 31, 2016
africaken254:
He already lost to me. grin grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jul 31, 2016
Henry240:

That's an AMD-65...... I know my guns brahgringrin
you won,even after giving them a clue smiley

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jul 31, 2016
Henry240:
Senegalese troops
are the americans giving vietnam era M-16A1 from the armory to the Senegalese army ?for how long had the Senegalese government neglected its army!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jul 31, 2016
MikeCZA:
The Sudanese copy of the Chinese copy of the Ukrainian copy of the Russian AKM rifle which is the variant of the AK-47. grin grin grin grin

Okay okay! I'm not good with small arms.

grin grin grin grin WTF!!

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jul 31, 2016
africaken254:
are the americans giving vietnam era M-16A1 from the armory to the Senegalese army ?for how long had the Senegalese government neglected its army!

The Senegalese have always used M-16s, after they transitioned from the Daweoo K-1. I don't think they are new versions though.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 31, 2016
Henry240:

The Senegalese have always used M-16s, after they transitioned from the Daweoo K-1. I don't think they are new versions though.
they seriously need to upgrade and discard those M-16A1 they are old.also saw philipines soldiers most of them still using M16A1's but are now getting replaced

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 2:04pm On Jul 31, 2016
africaken254:
they seriously need to upgrade and discard those M-16A1 they are old.also saw philipines soldiers most of them still using M16A1's but are now getting replaced

Nothing wrong with the M16A1

Philippians also still have the M14 in regular service - I think this is awesome though, battle rifles are the way forward. These modern "zipper guns" are for women.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 2:55pm On Jul 31, 2016
patches689:

Interesting.

Well, my thoughts on weight were based on the age old adage that a soldier can only hump like 40-60kg, so you save weight on your SAW and thus can carry more of something else.

That 20mm going to see service?

That plus the new low-cost turret from Denel could serve as major organic fire-support for Moto Inf if mounted on a Casspir or Nyala.

The SAW caliber debate has been going on for a while now. My opinion is that the proof is in the pudding. In actual combat in Iraq/Afghanistan the guys in the field want the 7.62mm back in the squad. Not a very nice feeling when you are getting overmatched by a PKM and your M249 is just pissing in the wind. I don't have a problem with 5.56 in a assault rifle (6.5 would be optimal), but it's just not going to penetrate in the African bush as a GPMG.

That 20mm is just being launched now at AAD. It looks like we might have a system that can replace 7.62/50cal/40mm AGL. Jack of all trades , master of none.
BTW the 20mm PAW has already been sold to a foreign customer. Probably for SF

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by sheyiofficial(m): 3:59pm On Jul 31, 2016
Nigerian Army on Boko Haram 0 , News Security July 31, 2016 A+ A- EMAIL PRINT In order to keep the public informed of the activities of the military geared towards defeating completely the menace of Boko Haram insurgency, the Nigerian Army has produced six parts documentary of thirty minutes each which is scheduled to be broadcasted on Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) as follows: 1. Monday 1st August 2016 from 2230-2300hrs (10.30-11.00pm) – Episode I- The Accomplishment of a Presidential Mandate (Restoration of Normalcy). 2. Thursday 4th August from 1830-1900hrs (6.30-7.00pm) – Episode II-Rising To The Challenges of a Presidential Mandate (Turning The Tide Against Boko Haram Terrorists) Part I. 3. Saturday 6th August 1430-1500hrs (2.30-3.00pm) – Episode III which is Part 2 of Episode II. Nigerian Army is making the nation proud and will not stop until the complete defeat of all remnants of Boko Haram terrorists and preservation of our territorial integrity.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 4:14pm On Jul 31, 2016
61mech:

The SAW caliber debate has been going on for a while now. My opinion is that the proof is in the pudding. In actual combat in Iraq/Afghanistan the guys in the field want the 7.62mm back in the squad. Not a very nice feeling when you are getting overmatched by a PKM and your M249 is just pissing in the wind. I don't have a problem with 5.56 in a assault rifle (6.5 would be optimal), but it's just not going to penetrate in the African bush as a GPMG.

That 20mm is just being launched now at AAD. It looks like we might have a system that can replace 7.62/50cal/40mm AGL. Jack of all trades , master of none.
The 20mm cannon is nothing new but an improved or upgraded version of MG 151 cannon.

Which was used on helicopter gunships during the boarder wars. Also used by SF units mounted on vehicles.

It can never replace the mentioned weapons in the infantry. The AGL is an effective fire support weapon both direct and indirect. Meaning it can be used like a mortar.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 4:40pm On Jul 31, 2016
[img]http://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1200/1*2o_NtqD7DAOU8jHv-qnGlQ.jpeg[/img]
Nigeria’s Tiny, Low-Tech Alpha Jets Have Flown in Brutal Wars Across Africa
Now the former training jets are blasting Boko Haram

On the morning of June 19, 2016, seven Toyota Hilux trucks manned by Boko Haram fighters lay in wait near Daira Noro, Borno State in northeastern Nigeria.
Members of a fundamentalist insurgency infamous for its terrorist attacks and kidnappings of young girls, the fighters had recently been chased out of their camps in Sambisa forest by an African multi-national task force.
As the African forces advanced north in pursuit, the Boko Haram fighters had prepared a road-side ambush under tree cover. Two of their trucks were armed with heavy machine guns.

The distant whine of small airplane engines sounded overhead. An unarmed civilian plane flew by.
Then suddenly, a small twin-engine fighter — an Alpha Jet — came screaming over the horizon. Radioed the position of the Boko Haram fighters by the unarmed plane — actually a King Air 350 surveillance aircraft — the Alpha Jet unleashed a barrage of rockets on the concealed ambush, followed by 250-pound bombs and strafing runs.
The Toyotas were all destroyed and the ambush force thrown into chaos.
Nigerian ground forces followed close on the heels of the jet and chased off the survivors. They counted 15 bodies and two abandoned rocket-propelled grenades.
The Alpha Jet has a reputation for excellent low-speed handling and being very forgiving for novice pilots — in fact, the French air force’s only complaint was that it was actually too easy for trainees, who received a nasty shock when they graduated to more difficult-to-handle combat aircraft.
Most military Alpha Jets have been used in their original intended role — as jet trainers. The Moroccan air force, however, employed some of theirs in its war against the Polisario rebels in Western Sahara.
It’s the Nigerian air force, however, that has made the most combat use of the type. Nigeria reportedly acquired its initial 24 aircraft — nicknamed “A-Jets” — from Germany, but additional aircraft have been acquired over the years. Most of those photographed appear to be the French models.

Rest at https://warisboring.com/nigerias-tiny-low-tech-alpha-jets-have-flown-in-brutal-wars-across-africa-5d843265d1b8#.drdnj3niy

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 5:31pm On Jul 31, 2016
61mech:

Neopaw is a hammer for a nail that doesnt exist IMO... maybe for less than leathal in law-enforcement (bean bags, CS, thunder-flashes)

SANDF needs to work on up-gunning our Casspirs and Mamba's... since they are the only platforms likely to see any action.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jul 31, 2016
patches689:

Nothing wrong with the M16A1

Philippians also still have the M14 in regular service - I think this is awesome though, battle rifles are the way forward. These modern "zipper guns" are for women.
its a couple of decades old ,a grandpa assault rifle .if its was an AK my opinion would have been different grin grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 5:57pm On Jul 31, 2016
MikeCZA:
The 20mm cannon is nothing new but an improved or upgraded version of MG 151 cannon.

Which was used on helicopter gunships during the boarder wars. Also used by SF units mounted on vehicles.

It can never replace the mentioned weapons in the infantry. The AGL is an effective fire support weapon both direct and indirect. Meaning it can be used like a mortar.

The gun I mentioned above is not the GI-1 (MG151) you are referring to , but the new 20x42 mm belt-fed iNkunzi Strike support weapon.

http://www.janes.com/article/62351/denel-making-progress-on-fully-automatic-20x42mm-support-weapon

Its for mounted use and is meant to replace the above mentioned weapons as it can be mounted on anything that fits FN Mag and up, especially for remote weapons stations. The AGL is a good weapon, but has range and accuracy problems and the 60mm patmor can do a better job at indirect fire at the platoon level. The 50cal has range ,but no HE capability. The iNkunzi is an attempt at performing all these roles.

The 50 cal is now almost 100 years old. No reason to not try and improve on it.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 6:03pm On Jul 31, 2016
patches689:

Neopaw is a hammer for a nail that doesnt exist IMO... maybe for less than leathal in law-enforcement (bean bags, CS, thunder-flashes)

SANDF needs to work on up-gunning our Casspirs and Mamba's... since they are the only platforms likely to see any action.
20mm cannons, mortars, recoiles rifles can be mounted on the Casspir.

The Rooikat is a great system. But it seems like it will never get a chance to prove the promises of it's designers.

Already talks of it's replacement are heard.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tinfoil: 6:17pm On Jul 31, 2016

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 6:55pm On Jul 31, 2016
61mech:

The gun I mentioned above is not the GI-1 (MG151) you are referring to , but the new 20x42 mm belt-fed iNkunzi Strike support weapon.

http://www.janes.com/article/62351/denel-making-progress-on-fully-automatic-20x42mm-support-weapon

Its for mounted use and is meant to replace the above mentioned weapons as it can be mounted on anything that fits FN Mag and up, especially for remote weapons stations. The AGL is a good weapon, but has range and accuracy problems and the 60mm patmor can do a better job at indirect fire at the platoon level. The 50cal has range ,but no HE capability. The iNkunzi is an attempt at performing all these roles.

The 50 cal is now almost 100 years old. No reason to not try and improve on it.
Mistake.

The is accurate when coupled with the computer.

Remember: The 50 cal is battalion fire support weapon. Putting massive and accurate lead down range. With the iNkuzi gunners might have to count every shell fired cause 20mm aren't cheap.

That's why many 20mm systems have 12,7mm training systems.

Remember how the Rhodesia K-Car gunners really waited for a perfect moment to fire the 20mm.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 31, 2016
Uganda air force SU-30MK2 jet at entebbe airport

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 8:18pm On Jul 31, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5fBOvkbnI0
Namibian Army Artillery school opening Ceremony...@ViceAdmiral peep the red Berrets are wearing that Digi camo that you're fond of wink
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jul 31, 2016
gottfried21:

Namibian Army Artillery school opening Ceremony...@ViceAdmiral peep the red Berrets are wearing that Digi camo that you're fond of wink

You mean maroon berets grin can you I.D the mortar?,there's also a Grad P right?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 9:26pm On Jul 31, 2016
gottfried21:

Did she just call the gunners "artillerists"? grin grin grin grin

The G2 must go into storage.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jul 31, 2016
Zimbabweans are in tank biathlon 2016

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jul 31, 2016
Nigerian UAV Ground Control Stations(GCS).

- Gulma Drone GCS

- CH-3A Drone GCS

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:13am On Aug 01, 2016
Nigerian Commando

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:38am On Aug 01, 2016
OFF-TOPIC

South Korea launches first PKX-B missile craft.

In Nigeria, this would be classified as a "battleship", but in South-Korea, this is just an armed patrol vessel.

South-Korea's new 44 meters PKX-B patrol craft, 16 to be inducted by the end of 2017 with numbers expected to grow to as many as 32.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 1:49am On Aug 01, 2016
Henry240:
Nigerian UAV Ground Control Stations(GCS).

- Gulma Drone GCS

- CH-3A Drone GCS
How many gulma versions are available and any idea about their top speed?
Why are we not making use of reverse engineering probably on a CH3?

(1) (2) (3) ... (561) (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.