Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,672 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

Internet Bundles: When Will Telecom Providers Listen To Our Cry? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Internet Bundles: When Will Telecom Providers Listen To Our Cry? (812 Views)

Airtel Unveils Internet Bundles For Android Devices / Airtel Unveils Internet Bundles Forandroid Devices / MTN Nigeria Handed-Out Free Data Bundles By Mistake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Internet Bundles: When Will Telecom Providers Listen To Our Cry? by empexy(m): 1:07am On Aug 08, 2013
If there’s anything Smartphone users other than Blackberry in Nigeria have complains about, it’s most definitely the cost of internet subscription.

Users of Android and iOS Smartphones have decried the unavailability of data plans that meet their daily internet needs; as major telecommunication networks in the country have internet plans that seem to be convenient for Blackberry users only.

Unlike Blackberry users who pay a minimum of N1 000 to have access to unlimited data plan – or 3gigabyte of data depending on the network – users of other Smartphones have had to struggle with what was described as “peanut” data by an Android user.

Looking at internet data plans in the same price range as that of Blackberry users; little will one wonder why the hash tag #androidUsersDemandFairness, garnered momentum some weeks ago on social media. Android users took to twitter, to express their dissatisfaction concerning data plans made available by Telecoms providers.

For the price of N1 000, MTN offers 100MB with a bonus of 260MB; Glo – 260MB; Etisalat – 200MB; Airtel-200MB with 260MB bonus.

Data usage

Research by various groups has revealed that Blackberry smartphones use less data compared to others aforementioned.

According to a research by New Product Development (NPD) Group, iOS users burn an average of 1.12 gigabytes/month (over 37MB daily), while Android users consumed an average of 0.92 gigabytes monthly (over 30MB per day).

Also, a report released by the largest independent software provider in mobile optimization, Actix , stated that BlackBerry users consume about 50% less data than Android and iOS counterparts.

Going by the statistics, Smartphone users other than Blackberry will have to spend more if they are to keep up with the internet demands of their Smartphone.

Nuhu Muhammed, an Android user said; “I paid for 260MB but within two weeks, I got a message from Etisalat that the data bundle had been used up. This is a data plan that was supposed to last for a month”.

“I pay N2 000 for 500MB on Etisalat but I tend to use up my data before the end of every month. I always have to resubscribe ,“ – Ayo Oyediran, an iPhone user.

“I don’t know how my data gets used up. 500MB disappears within three weeks. I paid N2 000 for 500MB on my MTN, but how it got used up is what I don’t understand.” – Preciuos Emmanuel

They all called on the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) to intervene by giving Telecoms providers the mandate of regulating the prices of internet data plans.

“These plans are not good enough for us. I spend a lot on internet subscription, all because I need to get mail updates and be on par with happenings around me.

I believe the NCC can make these telecommunication networks regulate the way we are being charged for internet access,” Babayemi Oluwafemi said.

Besides all the complains and before the NCC springs into action, there are few ways to reduce data usage on your Smartphone. Well, I’ve done the honours of listing them below

Use data monitor apps- e.g Onavo:

Onavo is a clever free mobile application that compresses and tracks data usage. Features of this app include;

1)Getting alerts when an app is using a lot of data in the background
2)Block specific apps on 3G or shut off 3G data when they exceed their cap.
3)Limit data usage on certain apps to Wi-Fi only. e.g Updates

Disable Push content

This might not be an option for most people but it’s a good way of saving your data bundle. Android 4.0 users or higher can disable push content per-app through the Data Usage menu.

Just tap on an app in that menu, and then tap the View App Settings button. Those with an iOS device can find relevant options under Settings -> Notifications. Each individual app with notifications will be listed there.

Use Lightweight Browser

Default browsers on Smartphones are known for chunking up data as they load Web Pages with all contents including flash contents. It is advised to make use of lightweight browsers such as Chrome Beta or Opera Mini.

Caching pages

You can cache Web Pages while using Wi-Fi connection. This will reduce the time and data it will take to open the page when next you need to visit that particular website.

http://empexy./2013/08/07/internet-bundles-when-will-telecom-providers-listen-to-our-cry/
Re: Internet Bundles: When Will Telecom Providers Listen To Our Cry? by maaji: 1:44am On Aug 08, 2013
guy tanxs for the topic. i knw u too feel our pain.tanks for d tips again. i once bought tecno n3. d pone was fantastic for its price. i hav neva enjoyed a pone like dat bfore i sold my bb tourch 3 15k and bought d tecno 12,800, i was so proud. it was d first new pone i will ever use my moni to buy, d pone made me regret y i used a bb. anytym i see bb users, i call dem fools, i hated bb den.. browsin with my mtn bis was like browsing wth d worlds greatest internet speed. so fastt downloading anytime i want wit my batery intact. any tym i see a bb user, i go say (for my mind) dis fool no knw wetin hin dey miss. now i envy bb users.. wen mtn stoped it, my pone felt useless. i got so angry dat i sold it off. i bought a nokia. its worse, i missed d pone d very minute i sold it. dats d power of android. cos of d way i missed dpone, i still went and bought htc mytorch 3g slide, not for anytin but for android its so useful. i wish mtn could change my mind. as for me, i will keep buying ten ten mb every day till wen sometin new comes out. i knw some people will scream i should use droid vpn but my pone hardware version is eclair 2.2.1, not up to ginger bread meanin i cant hack it,droid vpn wunt just work.but am managing. but android is stil a smart pone. its like a second me. i feel ur pain brother. tankss very much for d topic
Re: Internet Bundles: When Will Telecom Providers Listen To Our Cry? by physise(m): 1:47am On Aug 08, 2013
maaji: guy tanxs for the topic. i knw u too feel our pain.tanks for d tips again. i once bought tecno n3. d pone was fantastic for its price. i hav neva enjoyed a pone like dat bfore i sold my bb tourch 3 15k and bought d tecno 12,800, i was so proud. it was d first new pone i will ever use my moni to buy.. browsin with my mtn bis. until mtn stoped it, my pone felt useless. i got so angry dat i sold it off. i bought a nokia. its worse, i missed d pone d very minute i sold it. dats d power of android. cos of d way i missed dpone, i still went and bought htc mytorch 3g slide, not for anytin but for android its so useful. i wish mtn could change my mind. as for me, i will keep buying ten ten mb every day till wen sometin new comes out. i knw some people will scream i should use droid vpn but my pone hardware version is eclair 2.2.1, not up to ginger bread meanin i cant hack it,droid vpn wunt just work.but am managing. but android is stil a smart pone. its like a second me. i feel ur pain brother. tankss very much for d topic
pone or phone?
Re: Internet Bundles: When Will Telecom Providers Listen To Our Cry? by maaji: 1:51am On Aug 08, 2013
nawa for u oooo. phone nahhh, just a shortened word of phone
Re: Internet Bundles: When Will Telecom Providers Listen To Our Cry? by maaji: 1:53am On Aug 08, 2013
oluwaseun because of God and because of wat ur name really stands for, pls put dis in front page, so we can robb minds. may d good lord reward u. amen
Re: Internet Bundles: When Will Telecom Providers Listen To Our Cry? by LordReed(m): 6:15am On Aug 08, 2013
maaji: oluwaseun because of God and because of wat ur name really stands for, pls put dis in front page, so we can robb minds. may d good lord reward u. amen

Rub not robb abi you be thief?
Re: Internet Bundles: When Will Telecom Providers Listen To Our Cry? by Nobody: 7:01am On Aug 08, 2013
airtel is the solution to android users so
send PORT to 3232
Re: Internet Bundles: When Will Telecom Providers Listen To Our Cry? by Koolmexxi(m): 9:27am On Aug 08, 2013
Hopefully d ntwrks will hav a change of heart and possibly allow bis usage wen bbm finally becomes available for androids nd ios.
Re: Internet Bundles: When Will Telecom Providers Listen To Our Cry? by Francheezy(m): 10:30am On Aug 08, 2013
We need chaep data plans
Re: Internet Bundles: When Will Telecom Providers Listen To Our Cry? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Aug 08, 2013
Gtyfdefcgffdsel$j
Re: Internet Bundles: When Will Telecom Providers Listen To Our Cry? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Aug 08, 2013
Wow, lol, just lol.
Re: Internet Bundles: When Will Telecom Providers Listen To Our Cry? by Mayowasoaga: 5:49pm On Aug 08, 2013
can i port from etisalat to airtel? and how

(1) (Reply)

Help Need For Etisalat Zte Mf631 / The Second Coming Of BBM For Android Is “within Days” / Samsung S4 or Iphone 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.