Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,460 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) (33679 Views)

Can Drinking Alcohol Stop A Genuine Born Again; From Making It To Heaven? / What Does The Bible Say About Drinking Alcohol/wine? Is It A Sin For A Christian / Is It A Sin For A Christian To Drink Alcohol / Wine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Fizboy(m): 11:32am On Aug 11, 2013
Yungwizzzy: so what's your point? I should stop drinking? never!!!!!

you can't deceive me!!
u jst gat me laughing in church and my pastor tink say I don dey possessed...hahahahhaha
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Nobody: 11:33am On Aug 11, 2013
A whole lot of things get mixed up when we want to thrash out issues like this.

If taking alcohol is wrong why did Jesus turn water to wine?

Let's see this sorted here.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Dagoma: 11:34am On Aug 11, 2013
sseunth: well,to me drinking is not the sin.....geting drunk is the sin

You are deceiving urself, consumption of the substance (intoxicant) is what is forbidden whether getting drunk or not.
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by eagleeye2: 11:37am On Aug 11, 2013
This thread dey remind me about all th kegites songs I dey listen to......
Abeg, Master Jesus turned water into wine. I don't think that was a mistake.
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Burger01(m): 11:39am On Aug 11, 2013
See confusion all because of alcohol. The bible wey say 'don't drink' na him dey also say 'drink little'

**Guilder on my mind come 7.30pm**

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by funnyx(m): 11:39am On Aug 11, 2013
ibkaye: drink but don't get intoxicated
Exactly, whoever categorise drinking alcohol as a sin is a liar.
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Nicepoker(m): 11:44am On Aug 11, 2013
Alcohol may be man's worst enemy. But the bible says ''love ur enemy''

3 Likes

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Pdizzle(m): 11:45am On Aug 11, 2013
so if i take lyk 4 bottles of harp,i go stil collect communion since im nt drunk *dancing etighi*
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Nicepoker(m): 11:45am On Aug 11, 2013
Dagoma:

You are deceiving urself, consumption of the substance (intoxicant) is what is forbidden whether getting drunk or not.
c dis pamy seller
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Nobody: 11:47am On Aug 11, 2013
taiocol:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/what-the-bible-says-about-drinking-alcohol.html
d oda day una say soft n energy drink dey kill, nw na alcohol.

Bible say man shall not live by bread alone, bt must live on smtin.

I pose wit my vodka Jor

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by DEIFIED(m): 11:51am On Aug 11, 2013
me i dont even drink water.
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Tonyfrancis(m): 11:51am On Aug 11, 2013
definitely,we're all sinners no body should KUN'THEM anybody,so what we only need z the mercy of the lord...#gbam
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by MaziOmenuko: 11:52am On Aug 11, 2013
Who is this accuser of the bredren asking us not to drink wine? Let me extract some bible verses for you. . .

Psalm 104:15
wine that gladdens the heart of man, oil to make his face shine, and bread that sustains his heart

Genesis 14:18
Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High,

Genesis 27:25
Then he said, “My son, bring me some of your game to eat, so that I may give you my blessing.” Jacob brought it to him and he ate; and he brought some wine and he drank.

Numbers 15:5
With each lamb for the burnt offering or the sacrifice, prepare a quarter of a hin of wine as a drink offering.

Numbers 15:7
and a third of a hin of wine as a drink offering. Offer it as an aroma pleasing to the LORD.

Numbers 18:12
“I give you all the finest olive oil and all the finest new wine and grain they give the LORD as the firstfruits of their harvest.

Deuteronomy 7:13
He will love you and bless you and increase your numbers. He will bless the fruit of your womb, the crops of your land—your grain, new wine and olive oil—the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks in the land he swore to your ancestors to give you.
Deuteronomy 7:12-14 (in Context) Deuteronomy 7 (Whole Chapter)

Deuteronomy 14:26
Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice.
(Note the bolded: "fermented drink". So brewed wine did not start 100AD as you posited)

2 Samuel 16:2
The king asked Ziba, “Why have you brought these?” Ziba answered, “The donkeys are for the king’s household to ride on, the bread and fruit are for the men to eat, and the wine is to refresh those who become exhausted in the wilderness.”

2 Chronicles 11:11
He strengthened their defenses and put commanders in them, with supplies of food, olive oil and wine.

Proverbs 23:20
Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat,

Ecclesiastes 9:7
Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for God has already approved what you do.

. . .Excess wine is a sin, but wine itself is not a sin. Asking people not to drink wine because its excess is a sin is same as asking people not to eat food because excess eating of food is also a sin according to the bible.

Proverbs 23:20-21 “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.”

Proverbs 28:7 “He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father

Should I go on? I dey come, make I pop something.

Hallelujah!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by slowshot: 11:52am On Aug 11, 2013
Alcohol is gud but drinking to d state of drunkeness is absolutely bad,... I fink every man needs to drink to tame and curtail d madness ,pressures, strifes and insanity dat dey face on a daily basis...in all honestly do what works so for u so long u dnt abuse it........kip ur sanity on check
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Nobody: 11:53am On Aug 11, 2013
in ISLAM anything that will intoxicate you is forbiden....Christianity is Man made joor...gbagbe Oshi...

4 Likes

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by scientology(m): 11:54am On Aug 11, 2013
There is nothing sinful about alcohol but drunkenness is a sin.....even water kills does it mean that drinking water is a sin...
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by abu0710102013: 11:54am On Aug 11, 2013
"consuming alcohol is not really condemed". pls can u explain this english
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by aurenflani: 11:55am On Aug 11, 2013
Enegod: *drinking beer*

Arrogance leads to ungodleness; hell fire is not your friend bro.
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by wy2000(m): 11:56am On Aug 11, 2013
azeezlateefah: in ISLAM anything that will intoxicate you is forbiden....Christianity is Man made joor...gbagbe Oshi...

What of smoking? Muslim areas have the highest no of smokers!
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by FlyboyZee: 11:57am On Aug 11, 2013
For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of
Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a
friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ Yet wisdom is justified by her deeds.”

Matthew 11:18-19

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by georgecso(m): 11:59am On Aug 11, 2013
Thank God the Bible did not make an obligation that one must drink.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Nobody: 12:01pm On Aug 11, 2013
...drink and forget your sorrow..I think
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by MaziOmenuko: 12:02pm On Aug 11, 2013
taiocol: No 4 states 'What you need to
remember ...
And do not get drunk with
wine,
for that is debauchery, but be
filled with the Spirit. ―
Ephesians 5:18'

I find it amusing that you guys decide to quote a version of the bible that suits your logic. What you quoted up there is an adulterated version of the bible.

The original King James version of Eph 5: 18 states " And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit.

Keyword being "where in excess".

Stop quoting Queen Elizabeth version of the bible.

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by HenryQuest(m): 12:05pm On Aug 11, 2013
Whoever tells you that drinking is a sin, is only wallowing in ignorance and inproper knowledge of the law. Alcohol intake is not a sin. The sin is taking more than your head can carry.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by pafestula(m): 12:06pm On Aug 11, 2013
He who drinks get drunk,
He who get drunk fall asleep,
He who fall asleep don't sin,
He who don't sin goes to heaven,
So what's your point?

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by hiuser(m): 12:07pm On Aug 11, 2013
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by crackhaus: 12:08pm On Aug 11, 2013
At least the Bible says nothing about smoking the green leaf, or does it?

GLORY!!!

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Atmosfear: 12:17pm On Aug 11, 2013
Pls is it not somewhere that a little wine is good for the stomach? That wine maketh merry?

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by plasgidy: 12:19pm On Aug 11, 2013
guys pls which bible quotation said, not that that gowet into a mans mouth defilet a man but that that comet out of a mans mouth, for what gos in to the mouth enters the belly and comes out trough the botom
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by wolajumoke(m): 12:24pm On Aug 11, 2013
@lanrexlan
You are harmering on Proverbs 31:6-7 & 1 Timothy 5:23
The 2 verses NEVER support drinking. If you are looking for bible verse to support your action, sorry none of the 2 support it. here is the analysis

1. Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)- Give beer to those who are perishing,wine to those who are in anguish;let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.

Here, Proverb said give wine to those PERISHING or in ANGUISH. Are you experiencing any of the two? Then how will you say the bible ask EVERYONE to drink?

2) 1 Timothy 5:23 (NIV) -Stop drinking only water,and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.
He was asked to drink wine for his ILLNESS not pleasure

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by switch360(f): 12:24pm On Aug 11, 2013
i drink in moderation
Re: What The Bible Says About Drinking Alcohol (wine) by Chizzyzzx(m): 12:30pm On Aug 11, 2013
True that!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Types Of People Who Wouldn't Like Adeboye's Words Recently / Atiku: Tunde Bakare's Prophecy About Messiah From Adamawa In 2002 / LASG Backs Deeper Life Flyover In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.