Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,762 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Medical Experts Reveal:cleaning The Inside Of Your Ear Is Bad. Stop It! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Medical Experts Reveal:cleaning The Inside Of Your Ear Is Bad. Stop It! (1155 Views)

US Sends Medical Experts To Study How Nigeria Tamed Ebola / Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! / Which Of These Have You Used To Clean Your Ear? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medical Experts Reveal:cleaning The Inside Of Your Ear Is Bad. Stop It! by gbenga195(m): 6:59am On Aug 10, 2013
I was at a gathering recently when a medical expert was brought to talk on personal hygiene.

He gave the normal and expectedrules except for that regarding the ear.

According to him, cleaning the ear is bad and even harmful to the ear. I went on further research to see if such a claim was true. I ended up googling it up and discovered its validity--its true.

According to The Telegraph:

“In most circumstances, wax is actually beneficial to the ear,” says Simon Baer, a consultant ear, nose and throat surgeon at the Conquest Hospital in Hastings.“It causes foreign bodies to adhere to it, preventing them from going further into the ear, and it has anti-bacterial properties. Removing it is like taking the wax off the surface of polished wooden furniture.It makes the delicate underlying skin of the ear more susceptible to infection.” Of course, some people have way too much earwax, but that’s rare. Certainly not common enough to support the huge earwax removal industry.

“There’s no need to clean your ears with a cotton bud,” writes Dr. Rob Hicks. “The ear has its own internal cleaning mechanism. Fats and oils in the ear canal trap any particles and transport them out of the ear as wax. This falls out of the ear without us noticing.” Besides, ear wax isn’t dirt. It’s supposed to be there.

Source: http://davolu..in/2013/08/medical-experts-reveal-cleaning-inside.html
Re: Medical Experts Reveal:cleaning The Inside Of Your Ear Is Bad. Stop It! by Stelametidet(f): 7:10am On Aug 10, 2013
I agree...!

1 Like

Re: Medical Experts Reveal:cleaning The Inside Of Your Ear Is Bad. Stop It! by emcemayo: 7:34am On Aug 10, 2013
wow
Re: Medical Experts Reveal:cleaning The Inside Of Your Ear Is Bad. Stop It! by Nobody: 7:47am On Aug 10, 2013
The proper way to clean your ear is by using hydrogen peroxide, olive oil or specially made solution for removing wax. When you pour it in, it softens d wax. and it pours out on its own.
Re: Medical Experts Reveal:cleaning The Inside Of Your Ear Is Bad. Stop It! by REMMEI(m): 9:13am On Aug 10, 2013
I've always known this..thanks for sharing though.
Re: Medical Experts Reveal:cleaning The Inside Of Your Ear Is Bad. Stop It! by Watermelon(m): 4:06pm On Aug 10, 2013
But why does wax impaction reduce the sense of hearing and why does nature induce itching when the ear is filled with wax?
Re: Medical Experts Reveal:cleaning The Inside Of Your Ear Is Bad. Stop It! by gbenga195(m): 12:08am On Aug 12, 2013
honey86: The proper way to clean your ear is by using hydrogen peroxide, olive oil or specially made solution for removing wax. When you pour it in, it softens d wax. and it pours out on its own.
According to the research, the wax is not dirty. It even protects the ear. Its meant to be there. eww
Re: Medical Experts Reveal:cleaning The Inside Of Your Ear Is Bad. Stop It! by gbenga195(m): 12:11am On Aug 12, 2013
Watermelon: But why does wax impaction reduce the sense of hearing and why does nature induce itching when the ear is filled with wax?
excerpted:
Of course, some people have way too much earwax, but that’s rare. Certainly not common enough to support the huge earwax removal industry.
Re: Medical Experts Reveal:cleaning The Inside Of Your Ear Is Bad. Stop It! by gbenga195(m): 12:12am On Aug 12, 2013
REMMEI: I've always known this..thanks for sharing though.
You welcome.
Re: Medical Experts Reveal:cleaning The Inside Of Your Ear Is Bad. Stop It! by Nobody: 1:39pm On Aug 12, 2013
gbenga195:
According to the research, the wax is not dirty. It even protects the ear. Its meant to be there. eww
Really? As my ear dey always itch me, wetin make i do? can't do without cleaning my ears with cotton buds. undecided
Re: Medical Experts Reveal:cleaning The Inside Of Your Ear Is Bad. Stop It! by Djkels(m): 10:27pm On Aug 12, 2013
Last week ear wax blocked my middle ear had to dissolve it with drugs..trust me it was not cool

(1) (Reply)

What Is Psoriasis Really? / Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria Faults Ministers Position On Doctor's Strike / EBOLA Scare In Gboko, Benue State. True?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.