Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,733 members, 7,817,017 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 (21398 Views)

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers / Videos And Sounds of People Speaking Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by Nobody: 6:19pm On Aug 13, 2013
ifykel: Igbo kwenu

and what does kwenu mean?
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by laughterclub(m): 6:20pm On Aug 13, 2013
IGBOs ARE DA REAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY NAIJA HAVE,ASK UR LANDLORD BABALAWO.
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by jajad: 6:21pm On Aug 13, 2013
homesteady:

Oga Musiwa grin
Good evening Sir

I missed him too smiley
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by Femijay: 6:21pm On Aug 13, 2013
That picture and the recording is a fake, taking into consideration the way the people are dressed.The shirts in the picture are 1950/1960 styles.
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by Orikinla(m): 6:48pm On Aug 13, 2013
The title should be "When the Oba of Benin Was An Eze".
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by Revolva(m): 6:50pm On Aug 13, 2013
HEHEHE NA WA OO
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by datChelseaBoy: 6:54pm On Aug 13, 2013
Igbo kwenu! Igbo mma mma nu!!!
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 13, 2013
*Kails*:

It means "Igbo's hot like fire" wink

2 Likes

Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by ckkris: 6:57pm On Aug 13, 2013
*Kails*:

Igbos unite!

Literally, it says Igbos agree, and that's not correct, WAEC won't accept that.

1 Like

Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by SANdos: 6:58pm On Aug 13, 2013
It's Igbo only,no Bini.
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by Hernadez99: 7:00pm On Aug 13, 2013
homesteady:
My guy! I see you!
Vic-jay:
iseehh!!! Ofuègbe.
Edo Boiz Crew Like we always gonna be!!!
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by IGBOSON1: 7:04pm On Aug 13, 2013
Interesting stuff! Just imagine; this was the Igbo being spoken in the villages and slave ships of the 17th century! Would have preferred it though if it was more of an interview/discussion than singing......couldn't grasp what the guy was saying. undecided

I found this statement (in bold) on the site quite intriguing: Igbo vocal group with leader and percussion, recorded by Northcote Thomas at Umucuku, Nigeria on 23rd April 1911.

[From the instruments and pattern, I believe this came from the Arochukwu area of the Igbo speaking region (besides the fact that it would be Arochukwu people who usually used ‘Chukwu’). The vocals has a curious resemblance to recordings made in the old south of the United States around the same time.].

You may notice some slight similiarity with the deep south phonetics of Blacks in the USA from the earliest recordings available.

1 Like

Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by Deiok(m): 7:44pm On Aug 13, 2013
Ok let me investigate its authenticity before i comment, i will be back....
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by odumchi: 7:44pm On Aug 13, 2013
Built2last: How do we substantiate that this was not recorded with your house boys phone? Anybody can record this and upload.

It was recorded via phonograph by Europeans doing anthropological work in those areas. Why must people like you always complain? Can't you just relax and enjoy?

2 Likes

Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by odumchi: 7:45pm On Aug 13, 2013
Femijay: That picture and the recording is a fake, taking into consideration the way the people are dressed.The shirts in the picture are 1950/1960 styles.

Those pictures have nothing to do with the recordings.

1 Like

Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by odumchi: 7:49pm On Aug 13, 2013
*Kails*:

"Kwenu" in the context of "Igbo kwenu" means "respond"; "cheer"; "allegiance"; "solidarity"; "unity".

Saying "Igbo kwenu" at a social gathering means to affirm the oneness and unity of the peoples present. The response is "ya".

2 Likes

Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by bokohalal(m): 7:54pm On Aug 13, 2013
SANdos: It's Igbo only,no Bini.
There is Edo language. Did not get the first part but the chorus "ghe omon,ghe omon" is Edo and means "behold a child,behold a child".
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by JNdupu: 8:07pm On Aug 13, 2013
brotherlyn: Are these the things i would have been bowing down to if the mercies of the Lord hadn't stepped in by way of the preaching of the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ?

Then, i would've been in deep shit... but, Lord, i thank you.

This is nothing but the entaglements of the devil operating under the guise of tradition or culture

So, you are happy that all your ancestors that did not have the opportunity to hear the message brought by the White Men are cursed and now roasting in Hell.

How can this be the modus operandi of a fair God? Are we saying those ancestors' destiny was already predetermined simply because they were born before a certain time.

Africans ... Think!

6 Likes

Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by eaglechild: 8:14pm On Aug 13, 2013
musiwa1c: if you are doing this, think, edo will give up asaba to igbos, that will never happen the igbo are the immigrate. they have a choice to remain or leave the place and return to east. ask ban ki moon

even if they break up nigeria, the right of people choice to live where they want most be respected.
That's some potent ish your smoking.

1 Like

Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by 247tops(m): 8:15pm On Aug 13, 2013
Built2last: How do we substantiate that this was not recorded with your house boys phone? Anybody can record this and upload.
.U HAVE U POINT HERE.
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by SANdos: 8:27pm On Aug 13, 2013
That's right. It does have the same rhythm as the Igbo ones and old Urhobo songs.
bokohalal:
There is Edo language. Did not get the first part but the chorus "ghe omon,ghe omon" is Edo and means "behold a child,behold a child".
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by Airforce1(m): 8:29pm On Aug 13, 2013
Voice of the gods shocked
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by SANdos: 8:31pm On Aug 13, 2013
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by Afroconnect: 8:32pm On Aug 13, 2013
Hernadez99: Oba gha To kpe ee!!
Isee!
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by SANdos: 8:34pm On Aug 13, 2013
I doubt. If you've listened to old songs from grand dad's gramophone or other musical sets of yore you will understand that this pretty much sound like most Nigerian language. Thing is, in the old times we all sounded the same. This could go for an old Urhobo ode.

1 Like

Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by An0nimus: 8:39pm On Aug 13, 2013
So much static in it but hey, its 1911.
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by Smartiegurl(f): 8:40pm On Aug 13, 2013
1911 you say? I thought there was nothing like recording devices and stuffs like that then? How come that was recorded?
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by yungtunchi: 8:50pm On Aug 13, 2013
guy tell us sometin u new nd nt some piece of shit,,of course dis is a studio work ok if u want us to believe den give us detail on how u got d recorded voice guy tell us sometin u new nd nt some piece of shit,,of course dis is a studio work ok if u want us to believe den give us detail on how u got d recorded voice
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by ejiyke2007(m): 8:53pm On Aug 13, 2013
NICE
Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by odumchi: 9:14pm On Aug 13, 2013
Smartie gurl: 1911 you say? I thought there was nothing like recording devices and stuffs like that then? How come that was recorded?

Phonograph - invented in 1877.

1 Like

Re: Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 by IGBOSON1: 9:21pm On Aug 13, 2013
Smartie gurl: 1911 you say? I thought there was nothing like recording devices and stuffs like that then? How come that was recorded?

^^^Ever heard of gramophone?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

7 Interesting Wedding Traditions That Are Peculiar To Different Countries / Photos Of Ooni Of Ife At The Aje Festival / 5 Interesting Nigerian Marriage Traditions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.