Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

Man United Plays Portsmouth In Nigeria (abuja) July - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Man United Plays Portsmouth In Nigeria (abuja) July (4621 Views)

Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence / Premier League: Portsmouth (0) Vs Manchester United (1): 25 August, 8pm / Portsmouth Vs Manchester United In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Man United Plays Portsmouth In Nigeria (abuja) July by iamok: 4:27pm On Jun 04, 2008
This is interesting
Man U fans Up United

I must reach there o o tongue

Manchester United will play Portsmouth in a pre-season exhibition match in Nigeria in July.
At a press conference at Old Trafford today, chief executive David Gill confirmed the game against the FA Cup winners will be added to United’s existing commitments in Africa. The date and venue will be confirmed at a later date, although the match will be played in the Nigerian capital, Abuja.
The Reds are heading to South Africa for three games against Kaiser Chiefs and Orlando Pirates between 19 July and 26 July and will now play in Nigeria shortly afterwards, en route back to England.

"Our own research has shown Nigeria is home to our fourth largest fan base – some 13.6million supporters – so this is an opportunity for us to say thank you to those fans," said David Gill.

"We're looking forward to a real carnival atmosphere when we play in Nigeria.

"In January we had a game in Saudi Arabia, which went very well. Now this will be our first visit to Nigeria and a chance for the fans to see their heroes in the flesh."

Of course, the Reds are also due to face Portsmouth at Wembley in the Community Shield on Sunday 10 August.
"We didn't plan it to be a dress rehearsal for the Community Shield," Gill said. "That's purely coincidental.

"We'll take a strong squad. All the English players will be there - people like Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand and Owen Hargreaves, for instance.
"Those players who are involved in and do well at the European Championships won't make the trip [to South Africa or Nigeria]."

The visit, although fleeting, will last longer than just the 90 minutes of football.

"I think we'll be there for a couple of days," Gill said. "We want to be there long enough to play the game, participate in some activities and see a bit of the country."

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=6610910

Man U for life
Re: Man United Plays Portsmouth In Nigeria (abuja) July by adesong: 5:27pm On Jun 04, 2008
Up Manchester United

I f I no get tfare from lag, I go borrow tongue , I must reach Abuja July

The champion worth celebrating

abeg keep up inform whenever the exact date is out

ONE UNITED, UP UNITED, UP CHAMPIONS HOME AND AWAY

Re: Man United Plays Portsmouth In Nigeria (abuja) July by icezik1(m): 9:51am On Jun 10, 2008
It's in Tinapa in Calabar not Abuja. And it's going to be a 4 team invitational tournament which includes Man Utd, Portsmouth, Super Eagles and a Nigerian club side to be voted for by the Nigerian people. It's holding at the end of July.
Re: Man United Plays Portsmouth In Nigeria (abuja) July by mukina2: 9:34pm On Jun 10, 2008
Search before posting

This can be continued here : > https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-135130.0.html

(1)

Watch And Download: Real Madrid Vs Manchester City 4-1 All Goals And Highlights / FA Premier League or the Spanish 'La Liga'? / Messi Captured Looking Awkwardly At Ronaldo Before Uefa Best Player Declaration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.