Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,865 members, 7,817,562 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

Beware Of This Dangerous Plant! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Beware Of This Dangerous Plant! (4112 Views)

See This Dangerous Maternity Shoot!! / Sending Your Children To Boarding Schools More Dangerous Than You Can Imagine. / Dangerous Things We Did As Kids(especially Ajekpakos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of This Dangerous Plant! by raffite: 11:23pm On Aug 13, 2013
BEWARE OF THIS PLANT!

Umunnem pls If you have a plant like the one in the picture below, get rid of it.

This plant is very common at our houses, gardens, parks and offices (popular as indoor & outdoor plant). The plant (Dumb Cane or Dieffenbachia) is now proven to be dangerous, so, please take care!

I know that the leaf of this plant causes itching if its sap (milk) touches your skin. But there are more dangerous facts! Read the details below.May be useful for you. You better believe it. Please read below.

One of my friends almost lost her daughter who put a piece of the leaf of this plant in her mouth and her tongue swelled to the point of suffocation. This is one plant but there are others with the same characteristics of coloring. Those are also poisonous and we should get rid of them.

Please watch out for our children. As we all leave our children at home in the hands of a nanny, we should give them a safe environment where they can play.Name: Dumb Cane or Dieffenbachia

"This plant that we have in our homes and offices is extremely dangerous! This plant is common in Rwanda. It is a deadly poison, most specially for the children. It can kill a kid in less than a minute and an adult in 15 minutes. It should be uprooted from gardens and taken out of offices. If touched, one should never touch his/her eyes; it can cause partial or permanent blindness."

Please spread this message around

https://www.facebook.com/ilovemyhusbandalot

Re: Beware Of This Dangerous Plant! by merzybenedict(m): 11:34pm On Aug 13, 2013
OK BOSS
Re: Beware Of This Dangerous Plant! by raffite: 11:44pm On Aug 13, 2013
Please put this in frontpage. Help save Nairalanders.
Re: Beware Of This Dangerous Plant! by taryour(f): 11:59pm On Aug 13, 2013
Very very true. I know this plant very well,dealt my siblings and I a very good lesson when we were still very young.I was in primary school and I remember cutting the green ones as vegetable for soup(normal children's play), ol' boy I almost went naked scratching my body due to the itch it caused.
It wasn't a funny experience at all as my mum even flogged me after rubbing palm oil all over my body which stopped the itch. She had warmed me especially not to cut the leaves and also watch after my siblings from going there too. This flower was so much in our neighbour flat,you would think they feed on it. I know better than to let my kids go near such plant,don't even have such plant in my house anyway.
Re: Beware Of This Dangerous Plant! by Nobody: 1:39am On Aug 14, 2013
Bookmarked! Thanks OP
Re: Beware Of This Dangerous Plant! by kunlesehan(m): 2:16am On Aug 14, 2013
that means most of us have 9 lives, cos I played with this dumb plant as a kid.
tanx 4 d info
it will be dumb if this doesn't make FrontPage though... and the funny thing is the dumb cane plant is nicknamed "the mother-in-law plant" because of its poison ... silly scientists.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieffenbachia
... abeg o make una no go dash mama say nah flower o, anyway most wicked mothers-in-law are smart they won't eat it ... lol
May God protect our mothers-in-law and our marriages.
Re: Beware Of This Dangerous Plant! by LewsTherin: 6:10am On Aug 14, 2013
You got 2 different plants there and one of them looks like a croton.

Consider this link too.
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/killer-house-plant-warning.shtml
Re: Beware Of This Dangerous Plant! by Nivlin: 10:52am On Aug 18, 2013
Had a horrible experience with this plant as a kid. It's a deadly plant, But you'll be surprised at How ignorant people are about it... Still scared of the plant till date! Pls pass the message
Re: Beware Of This Dangerous Plant! by blank(f): 12:02pm On Aug 18, 2013
I ate the stem of this plant when I was like 5yrs old. I thought I was going to die. My mum gave me almost a gallon of palm oil to drink. We then uprooted all of its family and destroyed them.
Re: Beware Of This Dangerous Plant! by Winneygirl(f): 12:29pm On Aug 18, 2013
I played with this plant as a kid. We'd rub d white sap on our fingernails because we believed dat it will make d imprint of flying birds appear faster on the nails.
Incidentally, I've not set my eyes on this plant for years now...I guess it's not as common as it was in my childhood.
I also do not see those many birds flying in groups in the sky anymore. Maybe I've not been looking up.
I have not had any 'bird imprint' on my nails for many years now either.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

One Of The Partner Is Hiv Positive,and D Other Considering Divorce.pls Advise / A Complete Guide To When, What And How To Start Your Baby On Solid Foods / Please How Can I Handle This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.