Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama (1127 Views)

Netanyahu Turns Down Obama Meeting And Cancels US Trip / Letter With Poisonous Ricin Sent To Obama / Beyonce Writes A Letter To Obama (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by denuda: 5:17pm On Jun 05, 2008
Rejects report on FCT budget

THE Senate yesterday rejected a motion of commendation to United States Senator Mr. Barrack Obama, the presumptive nominee of the Democratic Party of the United States.

Also turned down yesterday was the report of the Senate Committee on Appropriation on the 2008 budget estimates for the Federal Capital Territory.

The motion to commend Senator Obama was proposed by an excited Senator Ayo Arise (PDP, Ekiti) who came by way of orders 42 and 52 of the Senate standing rules.

“I have approached the Senate President on the need to raise a motion to commend Obama on his victory as the first black person to score the nomination of a major party in America,” the Ekiti Senator said yesterday.

But once he got up, Senator Mark stopped him telling the whole chamber his own encounter with Senator Arise.
“He came to me and said he would like to say a word or two about Obama’s victory. The problem I have is that there’s no official nomination and Clinton hasn’t even conceded yet. Leader, what do you have to say?”

Responding to the prompting, the Senate Leader, Senator Teslim Folarin joined the Senate President in expressing caution.
“This Chamber should not be hasty. It’s not been confirmed yet. We should be careful in this matter.” The leader’s position was further supported by Senators Bukar Abba Ibrahim (ANPP, Yobe) and Jubril Aminu (PDP, Adamawa Central).

“I’m in support of the Leader’s observation that the endorsement hasn’t been made yet. Clinton hasn’t even conceded yet. We can just congratulate him,” Senator Ibrahim said.

Bringing his own counsel to bear, Senator Aminu said, “It’s good for Obama for one thing but I don’t like how efforts are being made to portray him as a racist. It wouldn’t serve him right for the largest Senate in black Africa to portray him in such light.

“We should also remember that the former US President, Bill Clinton and his wife, Hillary, were very friendly to Nigerian and Africa when they were in power.”

Upon the submissions, the Senate President ruled Senator Arise out of order and dismissed his motion.
In rejecting the report on the FCT 2008 budget presented by the Senate Committee on Appropriation the Senate in plenary noted what it described as discrepancies in the proposals presented by the Committee.

Of particular note was the observation by Senators that the revenue profile did not match the expenditure pattern presented by the Committee on Appropriation.

Senators were miffed that the Committee on Appropriation jerked the total expenditure to N73.9 billion from the N69.5 billion proposed by President Umaru Yar‘Adua.

The report was rejected and returned to the Senator Iyiola Omisore led Committee on Appropriation for further action.

http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jun 05, 2008
Foolish men.

Wake up Nigerians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by SkyBlue1: 5:51pm On Jun 05, 2008
Wow, this is what they spend their time delibrating and how many bills have they passed? Wasn't the chairman of the house complaining that the house is seriously lagging behind in their duties of addressing bills, etc? And they are still getting their pay unlike lots of civil servants that have to wait till january to get last November's salary. Soon it would be motion to commend whoever wins a football match in some country in Europe that has all the ammenities and protection of its citizens that Nigeria does not have. What concerns Nigerian senate and Barack Obama?
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by Ibime(m): 5:54pm On Jun 05, 2008
The last thing Obama needs is Africa endorsing him. It will only play into Republican hands.
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by Kobojunkie: 6:05pm On Jun 05, 2008
OLOLORIBA OOOO!!!! OlUdUMARE OO, with all that needs to be done in Nigeria these men have time to even consider such?? CHAI!!! WALAHI!!! Nigeria is still in TROUBLE OOOO
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by grafikdon: 6:30pm On Jun 05, 2008
OSANOBUA!!!! shocked shocked

LOL! I love Naija! A country where round pegs are stuck in square holes grin grin and police armed with Cetme and RPG flex their muscles and hunt down harmless women in 'mini skirts', and weez in their pants when they see robbers armed with cutlass and kitchen knives, shocked

"Roger me or die park" lipsrsealed
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by MallamMusa: 6:35pm On Jun 05, 2008
Thank God they saved Nigeria the shame. Even Kenya never do that. Which kin eye service be this? Zombie oh zombie.
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by Xiomarra: 6:35pm On Jun 05, 2008
Useless country!

See how they spend their time minding other people's business?  Like they knew Obama one year ago.

Where are all those bloody psychological patriots of Nairaland retarded bunch of Nigeria?

[size=15pt]Make una come see una country colonial settlement oooooooooooooooooooooooh![/size]

Come and see what your illiterate senate officials are doing in Nigeria while you have no electricity or effective plumbing systems in so called major cities like your Abuja.

You have a country with a president with a "German Disease Syndrome" walking about Nigeria on life support and they cannot attend to that but can worry about Obama? undecided

Imagine the idiocy?

See useless Africans.  Like his Obama's runnaway father from Kenya bothered to ask of him 6 months ago.  Gosh. . . this is so annoying.  Talk about a continent of "follow follows"!

No shame at all.
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by JeSoul(f): 6:41pm On Jun 05, 2008
hisses. . .so they have nuthin better to do?  angry I guess we should not be suprised the country still drowns in troubles, this is what the leaders spend their time "deliberating". . .
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by Afam(m): 6:54pm On Jun 05, 2008
The people of Ekiti should begin the recall process as their senator has no business being in the senate if this is the type of nonsense he can come up with considering the number of serious issues needing attention in Nigeria right now.
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by MallamMusa: 6:55pm On Jun 05, 2008
The people of Ekiti should begin the recall process as their senator has no business being in the senate if this is the type of nonsense he can come up with considering the number of serious issues needing attention in Nigeria right now.
psychophancy at its peak. I am ashamed of him and the people he represents.
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by Topsido(m): 7:13pm On Jun 05, 2008
So sad! so annoying! What on earth as Nigeria senate got to do with Obama
Those senators always behave like illiterates. I wouldnt sponsor such bill when i was in pry 1.
Another proof we are still being led by dullards!
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by SkyBlue1: 7:37pm On Jun 05, 2008
Afam:

It seems a lot of states should start doing that because the House is just a disgrace. Does the constituion of Nigeria not have the provision for a recall election?
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by naijaking1: 8:22pm On Jun 05, 2008
This Senator Arise or whatever he's called. His idea makes my stomach turn, makes me want to puck, to run and hide, yell at the top of my voice.

How did this calibre of man get elected to highest legistilative body in the land?

What is he really thinking?

To influence the election of a foreign government? to kill Obama's chances? spread his ill percieved ideas and spread it like a diarrhereal bowel movement all over the place?
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by blacksta(m): 11:15pm On Jun 05, 2008
Useless people it just confirms the level of idocracy in nigeria far more important bills to pass yet they are talking about obama make them no let their curse fall upon this man . These people should be ashamed of themselves bunch of stark illitraites ruling this country my God we are in trouble o. Unlike this forsaken individuals Obama is a people choosen fellow and not otherwise
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by largie(f): 11:36pm On Jun 05, 2008
bunch of nonentities,I beg ask them how Obama's nomination take affect their lives not to talk of ordinary Nigerians on the street
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by 4Him1(m): 1:13am On Jun 06, 2008
Shameless men, can someone pls tell this naked emperors that we know they have no clothes on?
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by landis(m): 7:34am On Jun 06, 2008
I am not suprised.

This is what you get when all the 'good' people run away from their country.

Imbeciles in control of Govt.

grin cheesy grin
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by naijaking1: 7:52am On Jun 06, 2008
I' sure this is one of the senators placed into office by OBJ!
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by SkyBlue1: 10:24am On Jun 06, 2008
When you consider that the house recently (about 2 days ago) failed to pass the Freedom of information bill AGAIN this news is even more irritating. The reasons given by David Mark were the most trivial rubbish. Why does the issue of libel come up when it is already enshrined in law? Is the next excuse going to be "making sure 419 is noted to be against the law"? All this fumbling is just disgusting. It has been over a year now and the bill which everyone was saying will be passed quickly is still not passed? I hope people in states start familiarising themselves with the procedures for a recall election because this is just beating around the bush. Why are people high up so scared of freedom of information. The excuse Obasanjo gave for not passing the bill as that he had an issue with the name of the bill since "Freedom" did not really capsulate the intention of the bill. And now more stalling?
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by vikiviko(m): 10:32am On Jun 06, 2008
The senator's stance for a congratulatory message to Obama i think is his personal wish.
He can travel to the US and join his campaign team
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by blackky23(m): 12:04am On Jun 07, 2008
This is ridiculous, this Idiot the think America poltics is like Nigerian politics, you guys better stop before the republican use this congratulatory message as a tool against Obama , , you guys are sitting down in Africa admiring American Politics, as Senators and Congresmen what have you archived? how many bills have you guys passed?, rather you guys believe in having 1999 girl friends, big houses, flashy cars etc etc etc
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by Pataki: 12:10am On Jun 07, 2008
He is not yet the president of America, they are thinking of Motion of Commendation, if he finally gets to be president, would happen?

Declare three months of genuflecting to the White House? We are in for serious trouble in Nigeria. sad
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by sleekp1: 1:27am On Jun 07, 2008
Lets wait for Obama to win first, for now we have more pressing issues. If the law makers are so bored, why not bring Babangida, Obasanjo, Ibori , Igbinedion etc to explain where they made their fortune.
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by TCUBE(m): 11:47am On Jun 08, 2008
africa should just shut up right now, obama doesnt need your recommendation, who is the idiot that moved the motion in the first place?
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by oberon(m): 12:12pm On Jun 09, 2008
dont mind the busy body only God knows the kind of people we have in the Senate does he for one not realise that such a public endorsement is fraught with risk I mean what happens if Mc Cain wins?we would now have a man who would believe that we supported his rival,people should learn fromm history President Shagari made the same mistake when he stated that Nigeria and Africa would welcome a return of President Carter when he was up against Reagan the result?Reagan won and did not give a hoot about Africa if the senator has nothing better to say he should please shut up.
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by HRhotness(f): 12:21pm On Jun 09, 2008
Why does the Nigerian government continue to seek validation from other countries, dont they hav any shame?

this whole ass kissing attitude needs to stop in order for any real progress to be made angry
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by SeanT21(f): 7:09pm On Jun 09, 2008
HR.hotness:

Why does the Nigerian government continue to seek validation from other countries, don't they hav any shame?

this whole ass kissing attitude needs to stop in order for any real progress to be made angry

if a big war erupts in nigeria, who do you think they will call on or who will be the first to help?

AMERICA
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by HRhotness(f): 10:37am On Jun 10, 2008
SeanT21:

if a big war erupts in nigeria, who do you think they will call on or who will be the first to help?

AMERICA

So ass kissing is the way foward sad
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by SeanT21(f): 6:43pm On Jun 10, 2008
HR.hotness:

So ass kissing is the way foward sad

yep.
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by HRhotness(f): 9:10pm On Jun 10, 2008
I guess there is no hope for progress in Nigeria then sad
Re: Senate Turns Down Motion Of Commendation To Obama by Topsido(m): 6:48pm On Jul 08, 2008
HR: Hotness
Dont worry we stilll have some pint of hope.
Only that the fools shout louder!

(1) (Reply)

Israel Vs Palestine / Obama's Daughter Sasha Yawn During Dad's Inauguration Speech / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.