Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,982 members, 7,814,343 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

Things To Consider When Buying A Smartphone. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Things To Consider When Buying A Smartphone. (748 Views)

V10: LG Launches A Smartphone With Two Screens And Two Selfie Cameras / Thinking Of Getting A Smartphone? Come In For Advice! / Using Airtel Blackberry Subscription On A Smartphone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Things To Consider When Buying A Smartphone. by dazekid(m): 11:53pm On Aug 16, 2013
1. BUDGET :The first thing to put into consideration of course is the amount of money in your pocket, the amount of money you have as your budget will determine the type of phone you can buy at the end of the day.
2. GOODWILL :In a place such as Nigeria where a lot of commodities are imported, the “GOODWILL” that a company has will determine whether or not you will buy its product. For instance Nigerians prefer to buy products from brands such as Samsung,nokia,e.t.c because such brands have “GOODWILL”.Nokia for example are known to have probably the best batteries and this is possibly one of the factors that has created the brand’s “GOODWILL”.
3. QUALITY :This comes on in different ways,brand quality,build quality e.t.c. It is very important to put the quality of product into consideration because different people use different phones in different ways.
4. PROCESSING CAPACITY:Now this is a very important factor to consider because the processing capacity of a smartphone may also determine for how long you can use that smartphone.Examples;The new BB10 OS could not be ported unto earlier versions because of the hardware capability i.e “PROCESSING CAPACITY”.Another example is the Samsung galaxy s2.The galaxy s2 had been getting OTA updates since its release till 2013 but now this has stopped on “jellybean 4.1.2” although it can still get custom ROMS and what-have-you. I think and this is mostly because of hardware although other factors are also involved.
5. ACCESSABILITY AND FUNCTIONALITY:How well can you use and how well can it perform.People use phones differently and thus what may work for you may not quite do it for me.I like my smartphone to look cool so I use ROMS,launchers and other stuff but some other people don’t care about this.When I use a ROM or something similar,if it does not function as well as I want it to,I let it go shikena.
6. EASE OF ACCESS:How easily can you get what you want done.I personally take android as my OS of choice due to the “EASE OF ACCESS” granted.You can root,delete system apps,flash ROMs and completely personalize your phone to your taste but even as much as I love android,I was stuck using a blackberry torch3 even though it didn’t really do what I wanted and this was because of the expensive price tags placed on data bundles or plans for other phones so for about a year my Samsung galaxy tab,i-phone and i-pad were all sitting ducks because I was not willing to buy any yeye plans.Smartphones are really only so smart when used with the internet,,,just saying.
7. PERSONAL PREFERENCE:Now the keyword here is PERSONAL.I personally love torchscreen phones so in this case when buying a phone if you have a preference for physical keyboards,look for the best phone in this category or whatever category and choose.If it suites you,go for it,,,if not.,compromise or keep searching.
8. AVAILABILITY:Now when the BlackBerry z10 was released,it wasn’t available in Nigeria for a few weeks meaning that people who were enthusiastic just had to calm down(farabale) for a bit so when purchasing a phone I think you should really consider this factor.
9. AFTERSALES SERVICE:Now if you want to accept it or not,really expensive phones do get damaged so “AFTERSALES SERVICE” is pretty important.I have purchased a few TECNO products in the last six months and although I bought the first one just to see how well it performs,I went ahead to buy a couple others because there is great “AFTERSALES SERVICE”.I know that if something goes bad without me having anything to do with it then I can get it done for practically free as far as warranty period hasn’t expired.This is also among the many reasons why a lot of people buy some phones.
10. CAMERA:If you are a person who loves to take pictures then I think you should take this into consideration.
11. BATTERY CAPACITY:Now although this factor is very important,Nigerians don’t really seem to mind seeing as a lot of people use BlackBerries which have batteries that don’t really get them by and they cope.But if you are person who expects your phone to last you three days after one full charge,I guess you should really consider this.
12. SCREEN SIZE:This is something that a lot of people consider when buying smartphones and you should probably consider it too.Nowadays we have products such as phones with 5 inch screens,phablets,tablets,pads e.t.c and this is because a large number of people want/prefer screens that are large so if you are a person who likes large things then you should probably consider this.
13. SCREEN RESOLUTION:Now this is also important because at the end of each day most people use their phones more than other gadgets so you should put this into consideration because I figure you don’t want to squint your eyes just to see stuff on your phone.

P.S I am not perfect and I am very young so if people with better knowledge than me notice things that are wrongly listed or not listed at all feel free to draw attention to this things.
PPS I simply did not include portability on this list because smartphones mostly are portable.
I sincerely hope this helps in one way or the other.

THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU.
Re: Things To Consider When Buying A Smartphone. by badoooo(m): 12:24am On Aug 17, 2013
COOL
Re: Things To Consider When Buying A Smartphone. by dazekid(m): 1:58pm On Sep 03, 2013
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Asha 201 Whatsapp / Wat Android Can Do Dat Bb Can't / Ucbrowser Vs Operamini

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.