Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,818 members, 7,810,146 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:39 PM

Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google (21487 Views)

Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google / Reason Why Africa Is Still Underdevelope And Solution To It / Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Nmeri17: 5:51am On Aug 20, 2013
equams: We have nigerian's who are Good and so Hot..
I and A team Just designed a social Network that was lunched 4weeks ago www.equams.com
Its a social Network like facebook,twitter and co..Check it out
we've got enuf social networks already man

3 Likes

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Nmeri17: 6:27am On Aug 20, 2013
Africa may not produce such sites like facebook but i'm sure an african can produce such outside this continent.How can someone with a 'facebook idea' have programming skills and at the same time have a laptop and 24hour electricity.I guess nature is cheating us
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Bimbopee: 7:08am On Aug 20, 2013
Krasid: What Africa lacks is creativity.We always want to copy the western world or build on what they have created.

LOL!

http://www.thenakedconvos.com/
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by azeezengr(m): 7:44am On Aug 20, 2013
I agreed with the person that says we got the TALENT, but my contribution is that we as society LACK the RIGHT ATTITUDE. Our society like to enjoy finish product but lacks endurance to prepare GROUND BREAKING INVENTION.
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by AjanleKoko: 8:46am On Aug 20, 2013
Well . . . considering that the Chinese don't give a shyt about Facebook, Zynga, Amazon, or Google, cos they got their own Baidu, Alibaba, Tom.com, and Tencent. I would say , na the reporter sabi.

Personally I feel Africans should stop beating themselves up because they can't be like Oyinbo, or do the things Oyinbo does. After all we're all here on Nairaland.com, a Naija website created 100% by a Nigerian who lives and works in Nigeria.

Other Nigerians, especially you Nairalanders on this section, should be like Seun and start putting original ideas that are relevant to Nigeria/Africa out there. It's not like Google invented search, or Facebook invented the concept of social networking. They basically took mathematical concepts, and used computing tools to build what we know today.

The root of all these problems I tried to hint at in my post on a different but related topic here.
Nigerians/Africans are too intellectually lazy, and rely almost 100% on brawn to do everything. Our intellectual work is at best copy, or learned by rote, and not by creative thinking. Where someone is trying to be creative, the environment does its best to stifle such individuals. And that is the reason why we may never have a Facebook or Google in Nigeria embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by adultebony(m): 9:37am On Aug 20, 2013
There are a lot young folks, group of individuals doing great things but are relatively unknown. I've seen some very good Android App developed locally, I'm also aware that a group of Mobile Apps Developers are willing to share their knowledge through a workshop for Mobile Apps Developer (details at www.pcfixnigeria.com). With all these, it's a matter of time before we get a billion dollar App outta Naija
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Nobody: 9:46am On Aug 20, 2013
how can IT industry move forward when government has done nothing to bring IT education to the grassroots so that it can be affordable for us young lads who do not cpme from extra rich background?? Ever since i was 12 i always wanted to be a programmer . After my secondary school education i got admitted to the univerity to study infotech .... We did programming and they taught trash... I later went to NIIT for a scholarship and instead of writing a scolarshp exam as they promised they told us to pay 180 000 for Java. Where will my parents get such money after initially struggling to pay my 100L school fees. I hate this country right now. I have done my best to teach myself but i am not just getting it. I try to search online if govt has establid=shed any IT training centre around me(i live in esanland Edo state but i school in delta) but to no avail. And if tommorrow i manage to get an oppurtunity to study abroad and eventually become a programmer some idiot will tell me to come back and develop my country when they did nothing to help me. . Let the public office holders sit on our money and continue to enrich themselves when the so called leaders of tommorrow are not helped to get knowledge..All they do is spend money to contest electo=ions and when they win they spend 4 years getting the money back *5. I am so angry right now. *slams my laptopscreen and continues listening to Bob marley*
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by yinkaolagbaju1: 10:00am On Aug 20, 2013
We'l get there.
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Princek12(m): 10:24am On Aug 20, 2013
grandstar: nonsense article. nairaland alone proves this wrong. we also have jumia, konga, saharareporters etc. some have even been bought by foreigners. i have a billion dollar idea which i plan to launch in future and then sell. for now i dey chop beans.

We are talking world-class companies that have changed the way we do things in the world, not just any online company. Is Linda Ikeji's blog part of the companies you are talking about?
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by abdulg: 11:04am On Aug 20, 2013
azeezengr: I agreed with the person that says we got the TALENT, but my contribution is that we as society LACK the RIGHT ATTITUDE. Our society like to enjoy finish product but lacks endurance to prepare GROUND BREAKING INVENTION.
I agree with u that we have talented guy in Africa, but the main problem we are having is joint business brouhaha some have the idea but no money to implemnet it

IF U HAVE IT IDEAL MAIL ME FOR JOINT BUSINESS abdulg2009@yahoo.com

Africans can create hugely successful tech products that will sweep the world off its feet. There are several entrepreneurs out there waiting to break through, but their ideas might never see the light of day because of a lack of seed finance by Mfonobong Nsehe
Nmeri17: Africa may not produce such sites like facebook but i'm sure an african can produce such outside this continent.How can someone with a 'facebook idea' have programming skills and at the same time have a laptop and 24hour electricity.I guess nature is cheating us

Dont worry about that my group will use inverter for most of our business
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by chiboy429(m): 11:26am On Aug 20, 2013
The problem in africa goes beyond all this and it start with our witchy and bad belle within ourselves,its vry hard 4 a blackman to see ur efforts and appreciate it,rather he wil make sure dat dream is dead.but its not lyk dat wit whiteman,we face alot of challenges such as electricity,finance,encouragement and tools.
You can imagine some1 who calls himself a web designer but dnt have a laptop,what do u expect.I went to meet my uncle to help me get a laptop that am through with my web designing training,he started long stories that he was unable to finish before i left him there.that is wat am saying BAD BELLE ,d next person dnt want you 2 succeed even your brothers and sisters and later you drink and eat together .Its very hard for you to find a good person that wil help ur dream that is why Africa is stil behind.Even when i met that uncle of mine To help me with money for registration fee still thesame story that touch.How do you expect something great from this kind of environment.So my brethrens we need the LOVE of the creator in our midst if we want to overcome.feel free to check me here.Http://enews.com.ng
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by OAM4JisGay: 11:59am On Aug 20, 2013
Because our people are more interested in donating millions to churches than financing profitable statups which would create employment in the future.

1 Like

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Artorius(m): 12:02pm On Aug 20, 2013
runzlord: The problem is lack of oppuntunity!
Only the rich in nigeria get heard! It pains me when i see in newpapers and tv that a nigerian student ivented this or that cos those inventions re the least of my thoughts. I wanted to learn java programing it cost 140k. I cant afford it. I learn 4rm the internet buh i cant understand to sum level. I have app ideas. My parent re nt tech freaks. All they want is 4 me to enter the university, come out, find a job, and bring money home. They would nt listin to me. And no one else to share my ideas with. I live in a villiage on the island, surrounded by dumb heads. I cant build these tinz on my own. I have no training, no opptunity! I had a smart watch idea since 2011 buh if i had the opptunity then, i shuld have been the leading smart watch maker by now! I get so much ideas that i get annoyed if a company later discovers it and add it to their stuffs. Now i have 2 major ideas. 1. The world needs an alternative to youtube, if i could put heads together with few geeks we could put up something nice! But who do i tell to help me achieve this? Nobody!
2. Phone makers 2day make diffrent models of fone, buh it might nt be exacly what u want! So my idea is an online site/company where u select the exact specs and design u want in ur own phone. With price tag on each fone, then we build it 4 u and ship to ur delivry. Buh who do i tell again? NOBODY! so annoying. I draw design of fones in books and on my head. Bug assuming my father was dangote. I shuld have been making my millions by now. Unfortunatly most rich men children are dumb! The few one that have little brians we heard of them! Show host rich men children with talent that is 20 less than mine! Buh i cant get there cos there is no oppuntunity!
I see you bro. Definitely not same ideas but we're in similar shoes. All the people i have around me are dumbass, who are just so shortsighted and have no lifetime ambitions and they have the same ideologies: go to school, graduate and bring money home. That's all. The same cycle for every child born. I differed an admission last yr cos i wanted to take a programming course in java and python, it was as if God himself was against me, tempers flared from parents, relatives and the like. I can't find people with similar ideas and ambitions, I'm really surprised but what i read here on nairaland especially on this thread, I'm surprised to see like minds but we are scattered around the country, separated by distance, and where science has provided for us to communicate over long distances, we are separated by lack of power supply all fueled by corruption and discriminatory prejudice.
But i know one thing for sure, i have sworn to make a difference and breakthrough against all odds, to achieve all my hopes for the future, i may be young, foolish and inexperienced but that makes me more daring.

2 Likes

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by OAM4JisGay: 12:06pm On Aug 20, 2013
Aside the financing aspect, we need to have stable electricity and cheap DSL internet for such startups to materialise. A child who has access to stable electricity and cheap internet from birth is more likely to come up with a ground breaking tech invention than a child who hasn't.
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by fatgirl: 12:06pm On Aug 20, 2013
@OP have you seen http://www.dwitch.com .
Great in every sense.
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Nobody: 1:23pm On Aug 20, 2013
Artorius:
I see you bro. Definitely not same ideas but we're in similar shoes. All the people i have around me are dumbass, who are just so shortsighted and have no lifetime ambitions and they have the same ideologies: go to school, graduate and bring money home. That's all. The same cycle for every child born. I differed an admission last yr cos i wanted to take a programming course in java and python, it was as if God himself was against me, tempers flared from parents, relatives and the like. I can't find people with similar ideas and ambitions, I'm really surprised but what i read here on nairaland especially on this thread, I'm surprised to see like minds but we are scattered around the country, separated by distance, and where science has provided for us to communicate over long distances, we are separated by lack of power supply all fueled by corruption and discriminatory prejudice.
But i know one thing for sure, i have sworn to make a difference and breakthrough against all odds, to achieve all my hopes for the future, i may be young, foolish and inexperienced but that makes me more daring.
we re together in the struggle to get an opportunity. I have almost given up b ut seeing comments like this gives me hope

1 Like

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by adconline(m): 1:48pm On Aug 20, 2013
runzlord: The problem is lack of oppuntunity!
Only the rich in nigeria get heard! It pains me when i see in newpapers and tv that a nigerian student ivented this or that cos those inventions re the least of my thoughts. I wanted to learn java programing it cost 140k. I cant afford it. I learn 4rm the internet buh i cant understand to sum level. I have app ideas. My parent re nt tech freaks. All they want is 4 me to enter the university, come out, find a job, and bring money home. They would nt listin to me. And no one else to share my ideas with. I live in a villiage on the island, surrounded by dumb heads. I cant build these tinz on my own. I have no training, no opptunity! I had a smart watch idea since 2011 buh if i had the opptunity then, i shuld have been the leading smart watch maker by now! I get so much ideas that i get annoyed if a company later discovers it and add it to their stuffs. Now i have 2 major ideas. 1. The world needs an alternative to youtube, if i could put heads together with few geeks we could put up something nice! But who do i tell to help me achieve this? Nobody!
2. Phone makers 2day make diffrent models of fone, buh it might nt be exacly what u want! So my idea is an online site/company where u select the exact specs and design u want in ur own phone. With price tag on each fone, then we build it 4 u and ship to ur delivry. Buh who do i tell again? NOBODY! so annoying. I draw design of fones in books and on my head. Bug assuming my father was dangote. I shuld have been making my millions by now. Unfortunatly most rich men children are dumb! The few one that have little brians we heard of them! Show host rich men children with talent that is 20 less than mine! Buh i cant get there cos there is no oppuntunity!
Don't give up. Dangote's dad wasn't rich to lend him money. Most of the rich entrepreneurs started from the bottom

1 Like

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 20, 2013
There was a time when the developed countries did not have electricity, they did not wait for Jesus to come back and give it the them, a clever man got a team together and they invented electricity. The problem with Nigerians is that they cannot work together for the common good of all Nigerians they are too full with pride, of either the degree they have or the nonsence material things they have or that of their parents or ralative.
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by AjanleKoko: 2:20pm On Aug 20, 2013
Na so so lamentation. embarassed
Youths of today in Nigeria are plagued by low self-esteem. Not that it's any fault of yours, but remember that there are lads in shittier places than Nigeria, like Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and India, who are still innovating in their corner.

People should stop giving excuses of no power etc. Do the one that you are able to do right now, and do it well.

1 Like

Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:21pm On Aug 20, 2013
We are growing....just need to start somewhere and we have started
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by UjSizzle(f): 4:15pm On Aug 20, 2013
Ajibel:

Thank you. Buh most of us are scared of starting up sth cuz we arent that creative. The few with cool ideas have been brainwashed with "no cash, no startup". My argument is launch your brilliant idea, people would help u to finance it cuz they like ur idea. Lemme say i came to u for financial assistance for an idea i claim to have and tell u i want to create a forum like nairaland, would u be impressed Buh if my idea is somewhat great and its sth u need, u'd do anything to help me promote it even if u cant assist me financially. Why? Cuz my idea is unique and has the potential to be great. Even banks would consider loan for me. Buh thats not the case, most of us claiming to haue ideas even me arent coming up with great ideas buh clones of ideas already developed. Who'd be interested in sponsoring such I plead with those with good ideas to launch their start up and not hold back or be scared cuz of lack of finance.
More like find someone who shares your vision....
Great ideas may come from one mind, but it needs a collection of people who share that dream for it to grow.
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by meshybizzo(m): 5:37pm On Aug 20, 2013
Zikdik: Who needs a Facebook,Google,Yahoo,e.t.c when you've got a Nairaland?

With all due respect to seun, Nairaland has made us proud yet we're talking of global ideas not local. Get the picture right!
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by meshybizzo(m): 5:42pm On Aug 20, 2013
Joavid: so we now know the problems,how do we solve them??

So people are already making an effort for change. Hubs like Cchub (Co-creation hub) are making an impact.

The truth is funding is key but producing some what funding is 1st most important.
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by meshybizzo(m): 5:47pm On Aug 20, 2013
grandstar: nonsense article. nairaland alone proves this wrong. we also have jumia, konga, saharareporters etc. some have even been bought by foreigners. i have a billion dollar idea which i plan to launch in future and then sell. for now i dey chop beans.

Jumia, konga and likes have made an impact yes but locally. But can jumia go over to the uk or usa and compete for market share *coughs*

Get d picture?
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by meshybizzo(m): 5:49pm On Aug 20, 2013
fizboy1: The fact is dat africans naturally dont think beyond d box of jst making little change for upkeep..in other advanced countries kids are exploring and inventing while in africa a computer graduate wld still be struggling to create a simple website from an existing app..I hear people talking of nairaland after 11 or 12 years of existence we still jubilate wen the name nairaland appears on guardian newspaper and seun wld pop champagne and dance azonto till dawn..smh

LMAOO!!!!!!
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by meshybizzo(m): 6:05pm On Aug 20, 2013
mysteko: This is my third post on profile! I'm not a programmer or a web developer nor am I a graphic designer. I'm however a software computer technician and came up with a briliant idea however I sit here on my laptop looking at my project on my localhost but lack the finance to launch it.

1. I refuse to loan money to start the biz.

2. Good internet and reliable internet service is needed for the project to work.

3. Stable electricity is also a must as the project needs to be on 24hrs.

So tell me with all this in mind how do you expect a facebook out of nigeria with so many things to derail your plan?

I totally understand how you feel. I have been I that position myself. But I don't still believe in quitting or giving up. Plainly speaking, if "Seun" had, I wonder which forum we do be having this discussion. Noting that this wasn't the first or second forum seun designed bt he still persisted and here we are today on NAIRALAND!
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by bigdot1759(m): 6:05pm On Aug 20, 2013
meshybizzo: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2011/04/07/why-africa-may-never-produce-a-facebook-groupon-zynga-or-google/

This was the title of a post by an african reporter on Forbes Africa. As I read the post I couldn't disagree with the writers point.

But I still refused to believe africa can't or doesn't have the capability to produce $billion Internet companies.

More even now am interested in knowing or finding out about the ground breaking ideas out there. Because I believe before funding there must be ground shaking ideas and innovations. The writer did make mention of a few but (I stand to be corrected that) we still lack a lot.

So my thought and question has been rephrased from the reporter's.

Where are all Nigeria's programmers and developers?

If not even web apps, Where are the new android and iOs apps? Why don't we have them crawling all over the place?

The mobile platforms are speedingly taken over. Plus from my little research and understanding the cost/effort to produce these apps have greatly been reduced by there inventors.

Sure, We have produced the likes of jobberman and Iroko yet one can still say these are not industry disruptive companies.

Finally, Someone might ask "why haven't I produced mine?" Well I have always enjoyed been on the non-tech (idea guy) side of the game. But we all know many tech guyz in nigeria aren't ready to grow startups (I stand to be corrected again). They do would rather aim for jobs with the oil companies. Have got 1st hand experience on this myself even with some NL programmers. So recently have decided to jump in and start building programming skills. Cos I really really just hate this Article Title!

Now fellow geeks let's hear your thoughts...
must we be follower ? must africa go into something like fbk & the rest ? or is that the only thing we can do to bring popularity to the contnent? why can't we come together & meditate what even the number one & wotld power 'll never think of in the next 100yrs. Can't Nigeria or African programmers & the likes in I. T INDUSTRY come 2gether to think of this?
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by bigdot1759(m): 6:07pm On Aug 20, 2013
must we be follower ? must africa go into something like fbk & the rest ? or is that the only thing we can do to bring popularity to the contnent? why can't we come together & meditate what even the number one & wotld power 'll never think of in the next 100yrs. Can't Nigeria or African programmers & the likes in I. T INDUSTRY come 2gether to think of this?
Re: Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google by meshybizzo(m): 6:16pm On Aug 20, 2013
p.josh:

Ii don't seem 2 agree wit u..Youtube owners had an angel investor who help them , facebook also had an investor,groupon had an investor, even google.
Would any of their idea come true without adequate finance?
The jumia.com nd irokotv u guys re talking about,do u knw ow much they had on ground before starting their business. If u don't knw jason(irokotv) had $100,000 on ground b4 starting his site.
Youth in dis country gat ideas but need investors.The guy who did d Nigerian Constitutional app got up 2 $10000 frm investors.

Very true. Funding is key. But I will still say again "Innovation" 1st. Facebook, google and the likes had funding but dey innovative and created something first. The main thing most people don't realise is "U have 2 start small!". Instagram started small. They created something and 2years later it was sold for $1billion. U can't build facebook in a fews weeks or months. Even Facebook took over a year b4 getting any major funding.

The simple fact is this: until u build something worth investing in...its just another so-called billion $ idea.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Association Of Programmers In Nigeria / Please Review My Price comparison engine / Kotlin For Android Developers By Antonio Leiva" Ebook(pdf).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.