Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,999 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? (15401 Views)

How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? / When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! / Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by Emary(f): 9:58am On Aug 20, 2013
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by jsheng(m): 10:08am On Aug 20, 2013
bright007: i dont have a car but i got my 2 legs which can move me anywhere as long as i am still alive and kicking.

now tell us, what is the mileage of your two legs, at least it takes you from point A - point B, no insult abeg
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by acaolly1(m): 10:12am On Aug 20, 2013
A-town:

Actually, that is wrong. They are not designed to last for an indefinite period. If they do, that is simply a consequence of proper maintenace. That is why they offer warranties which usually don't exceed 100k miles or 10years because they cannot guarantee you anything beyond that.
That said, there are engines that have lasted 400,000 miles that i have seen. Some cars higher mileages but in most cases, the originial engine, transmission etc would have been changed.
I think if you get 250,000 miles out of an engine, the engine don over try.

Guy you are absolutely right. @ Mr. Questionaire you can google for more advice.
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by tommysparks: 12:36pm On Aug 20, 2013
Cars can go all d way if component parts are given regular maintenance.u can check this thread out https://www.nairaland.com/1332511/man-drives-1966-volvo-3million
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Aug 20, 2013
-Mr Cork-:
...ok...are we talkin milage as in punnny or milage as in Car?..pleaase advise! wink
Badt boy!
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by princeonx: 12:50pm On Aug 20, 2013
Billyonaire: To be on the safe side, do not drive any car above 100. Once its approaching that calibration on the Odometer, sell it out.
And the new owner will use it to cook soup right?
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by Zillight: 12:56pm On Aug 20, 2013
Ijogz K: My car currently reads 987,980.. It's a 1875 Rolls Royce
U must be talkin about Volkswagen Beetles . . .sowie for U O°˚˚˚
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Aug 20, 2013
ShalomNigeria:

I will also like to correct your notion about warranty since you seems to have engineering knowledge. you seems to be confusing useful life and warranty. A manufacturer will give a warranty to cover the risk of failure of the product. ordinarily, it is believe there is an element of failure in the design and most of these occur during the warranty period. hence, the manufacturer bears the risk of failure within this period. In essence, it is like saying, without any other external factor responsible for failure, my produce will work maximally if it does not fail within the warranty period. the warranty period is just a fraction of a useful life of the product. if your theory is to be right, no company should sell an insurance to a product after the warranty period.
I don't think i confused useful life and warranty. I only referred to the earlier posters statement that "engines are desgined to last indefinitely". I referenced the warranty because if an engine is "designed to last indefinitely", then the warranty would exeed 100k or 10yrs. You are correct about the useful life though. With regards to even that, the useful life of most engines is probably related to the average life expectancy of 200-250k. (Japanese) and probably 100-150k (American).
I believe the minute you rebuild, change anything in your engine, the clock restarts because the orginial one "died". In all, the mileage is just a counter. Whether you replace the engine or modify it, the mileage keeps counting so you could have a "danfo" with 900,000 miles that has had its engine and transmission replaced 10 to 20 times.
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Aug 20, 2013
Indeed no such thing as a stupid question on a forum. We are all here to learn. That said, the question perhaps should have been:

What is the highest mileage a car can go before it permanently breaks down?

1 Like

Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by cardoctor(m): 2:48pm On Aug 20, 2013
lamex20: @car-doctor u're senseless ... d poor guy only ask a question, insted u answered as a bamboo

@Lame x20

You must be as sillly as the silly question he asked.
There is no semblence of intellect in the question posted. Its like asking at what age should a person die?

The life span of everything depends on the circumstances that prevail in its environment. Its an unfortunate decision we can't make.

A brand new car that got crushed by a freight train did not detrmine its fate by itself just like a baby born today and doesn't make it to the next.

The same car could out live several generations of men and will still be moving as well as it was when brand new.

Man invented and built cars and so their life expectancy depends on us. We can still restore a car to its original glory even if drops into the deepest part of the ocean, falls from outer space to a concrete floor on earth or crushed by a steam roller.

The point I'm trying to make is that it all depends on us and how we care about the car. For that to happen, we must be alive and able to do whatever it may take to keep it moving and you Don't need half a brain to figure that out.

Car-Doctor.
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by cardoctor(m): 3:15pm On Aug 20, 2013
DanNafada: Indeed no such thing as a stupid question on a forum. We are all here to learn. That said, the question perhaps should have been:

What is the highest mileage a car can go before it permanently breaks down?

If the question weren't silly, why bother with offering an option?

The question should have been "what's the highest mileage a car can go?"

Is that not more realistic?

Car-Doctor.
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Aug 20, 2013
car-doctor:

Car-Doctor.

You are perhaps too smart for your own good.
The question was not silly. It was an interesting question that he simply did not ask in the right way. Hence my suggestion.
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Aug 20, 2013
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by chuqudy(m): 8:02pm On Aug 20, 2013
peterjero:
Sell it out to who?

To car-doctor offcourse. That quack doctor.
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by chuqudy(m): 8:18pm On Aug 20, 2013
car-doctor:

Car-Doctor.

So for your mind you don do correction abi? When a car reaches that highest mileage which it can go, would it not STOP MOVING? Abi it go continue from where it stop. Now over to you. Answer your question, "what's the highest mileage a car can go?"

I know your answer would still be your old silly answer. Keep it up!!!

1 Like

Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by cardoctor(m): 9:09pm On Aug 20, 2013
DanNafada:

You are perhaps too smart for your own good.
The question was not silly. It was an interesting question that he simply did not ask in the right way. Hence my suggestion.

Interesting question that wasn't asked in the right way. Very smart indeed. SMH
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by cardoctor(m): 9:16pm On Aug 20, 2013
chuqudy:

To car-doctor offcourse. That quack doctor.

Yeah. I remember the last time you came to the clinic that you were suffering from bipolar disorder. Sorry I couldn't help you out.

Sounds like you are still suffering from it.
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by chuqudy(m): 9:20pm On Aug 20, 2013
car-doctor:

Yeah. I remember the last time you came to the clinic that you were suffering from bipolar disorder. Sorry I couldn't help you out.

Sounds like you are still suffering from it.

You like high mileage cars, so I suggest that any one whose odometer reading is getting to about 1000,000 miles, should sell the car to you immediately.
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by cardoctor(m): 9:21pm On Aug 20, 2013
chuqudy:

So for your mind you don do correction abi? When a car reaches that highest mileage which it can go, would it not STOP MOVING? Abi it go continue from where it stop. Now over to you. Answer your question, "what's the highest mileage a car can go?"

I know your answer would still be your old silly answer. Keep it up!!!

The writing is on the wall Mr Stevie "chuqudy" Wonder.
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by cardoctor(m): 9:30pm On Aug 20, 2013
chuqudy:

You like high mileage cars, so I suggest that any one whose odometer reading is getting to about 1000 miles, should sell the car to you immediately.

Only 1000 miles? I would be glad to buy it and keep it moving till I no longer can. Then sell it to you.
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by chuqudy(m): 9:42pm On Aug 20, 2013
car-doctor:

Only 1000 miles? I would be glad to buy it and keep it moving till I no longer can. Then sell it to you.

I go use am do gift for you during your golden jubilee.
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by Prestonvic(m): 5:16am On Aug 21, 2013
Billyonaire: To be on the safe side, do not drive any car above 100. Once its approaching that calibration on the Odometer, sell it out.

Lol... Sell to who
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by elektra80: 8:38am On Aug 21, 2013
platinumricky: i believe we are all here to learn.

On the contrary the poster is not here to learn, he just looks for a crazy question and post it, there is nothing u can tell him to make him reason. Check his other post where he compares a murano to matrix. He was virtually insulting everyone. So nice one car-doctor.
Now watch this space, he is going to insult me too.
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by Nobody: 8:43am On Aug 21, 2013
car-doctor:

Interesting question that wasn't asked in the right way. Very smart indeed. SMH

I give up. You are too "smart" for me. Bye.
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by johnahlay93(m): 11:40am On Aug 21, 2013
Come oon car-doctor,u got me laughing like the Mech engr that I am but the brother was just asking a question.... Still laffin tnx all
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by Fajzay: 6:11am On Aug 22, 2013

And who are they gonna sell the cars to? Spirits?
Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by johnahlay93(m): 10:19am On Aug 22, 2013
Gudmrn frnds,pls read all through if u can. I have been followin this topic abt mileage since yestday I commented but felt its wasn't enough so I went back & researched,here is my little knowledge/finding I pray it throws a little light.
Let me define car mileage first. car mileage is total distance measured in miles which can be converted 2 other units.
Let digress a bit,weight is 1 of d biggest cause of loss of kinetic energy I.e power developed in d cylinders in automobiles. an extra 100pounds increases fuel consumption to 1-2% & leads to car breakdowns.
More to car mileage,with proper care like belt,oil change like every 3000 miles and periodic maintenance a car can last hundreds of thousands of miles. Hope it helps thank you.

1 Like

Re: At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? by b2men(m): 1:01pm On Aug 24, 2013
@Fajzay
Ifeverybody drives a car with lodometer reading < or = 100k what happens to those cars?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Upgrading From 195/65R15 To 205/65R15 Tyres On My 2004 Corolla S / Who Taught You How To Drive? / Volvo Develops Crash-proof Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.