Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,048 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

Problems Faced By Young Web Entrepreneurs In Africa Below 30yrs - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Problems Faced By Young Web Entrepreneurs In Africa Below 30yrs (1226 Views)

What Are The Challenges Faced By Nigeria Web Hosting companies? / Who Faced With Clams On The Outer Layer And How They Fought / Challenges Faced By Nigerian Based Web Developer / Entrepreneurs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Problems Faced By Young Web Entrepreneurs In Africa Below 30yrs by mambenanje(m): 4:19pm On Jun 07, 2008
I always feel depressed when doing business as a young man, and I decided to write an article about that on my blog, I posted it here on Nairaland hoping others might be having such problems too and their views might make me feel better and take it normal.
below is the article extract from my blog:
I am a young Entrepreneur below 25 years in Africa and I want to put some of the problems I face alongside what some of my peers have been facing while doing business in Africa.
Unlike in the 1st world where age is just a number and guys like Mark Zuckerberg (24 yr old facebook.com guy), Blake Ross (22 yr old Firefox browser guy) can do normal business , here in Africa its a whole different situation.
Below are a couple of the problems:
- Young is equal to Wrong: As a young man, doing business in Africa, when you have a client who is an old man, about your dads age or a few centuries above you, he considers that you are not skilled enough and you could make soo many mistakes. No matter what portfolio you present, it will take the client a second thought and lower pricing to award you that project. The worst part is when its time to hand in the initial funds, they will prefer that you do the work they see before they hand in the initial funds. In other situations, if you want to tell them what is correct professionally, they will tell you to sit quit you are still young and they will say come let me advice you. Can you imagine someone with no skills in,
more follow this link http://mambenanje..com/2008/06/problems-faced-by-young-african.html
I would like to know if others are faced with such issues, thanks
Re: Problems Faced By Young Web Entrepreneurs In Africa Below 30yrs by yawatide(f): 3:41am On Jun 08, 2008
Yeah,

Unfortunately this permeates through other aspects of our lives. Every young person is a "small boy". This obviously instills a sense of low self-esteem in the young person, making him/her think they can't do anything right. It also makes such young people to be labelled as "insulters" when all they want to do is voice their opinions. Meanwhile, what such old people fail to realize is that the young are the leaders of tomorrow and if they don't start their training early in life, it will be hard to take over once they retire (if ever. Most are used to declaring their age so many times).

Hopefully, with our generation, this attitude will change. One can only hope.
Re: Problems Faced By Young Web Entrepreneurs In Africa Below 30yrs by niyyie(m): 9:27pm On Jun 08, 2008
You're right here mambenanje. It is a big issue - a cultural problem that needs to be corrected overtime.
If you can proof yourself to know what you are about, to will be respected by the young and old in a short time to come. So, keep improving at what you do.
Re: Problems Faced By Young Web Entrepreneurs In Africa Below 30yrs by OmniPotens(m): 12:28pm On Jun 09, 2008
The same story goes on when you see Job vacancies. If you try to read further, the first thing you see is "4 years job experience, " How do freshers from school get to have this?

Well, I believe the best thing is, if you can prove yourself just as niyyie said, then you have not much to worry about. When they see you as a solution to other people's problem, then they will realize your worth. Age is just a number. It does not determine what you have upstairs.

(1) (Reply)

The Unreliability Of Web Designers/developers? / Get Ur 100% Free ".com" Domain For Your Blog/website Here / How Was This Guy Able To Archive A Thing Like This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.