Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,718 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

Evergreen Memories - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Evergreen Memories (8507 Views)

Memories Of Cupid By Jeenah / Memories Of My Days In 100 Level / Evergreen Novels U Read Either In Primary Or Secondary School!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 11:00pm On Aug 20, 2013
Hello great Nairalanders,this is my first post here, so advices,corrections etc are welcome.

I hope you enjoy my story (its a true life story). smiley

I promise to make it worth reading. grin
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 11:02pm On Aug 20, 2013
"He sure needs your help", the strange caller responded.

Earlier in the day,I have been feeling kind of strange, acting wierd and worrying over nothing in particular. My face was gloomy and I hardly paid attention to anything because my mind was carried away thinking of Basheer. I was that kind of a person who finds it hard to hide my feelings. I was always lively, you can call me a talkative who knows when and where to talk. People always say I am smart complimenting with the way I handle situations. I had the ability to remain calm even at the most difficult situations.

At the age of 19, I have grown into a young woman, matured both in looks and mind. I was dark, slim and tall having curves at the right places. I had beautiful bright eyes, a pointed nose and well-shaped lips, I was indeed beautiful.

Basheer was my best friend, almost the same age as I was, a guy I have known right from my childhood. Owing to the fact we are both fulanis, he was also tall, biult and had a very cute face, he was one of those lucky handsome and nice guys

"I would never get tired of staring at your face", I usually tease him.

There was something unique about Basheer, he was always smiling. He was patient, a very good listener and knew how to make a girl smile. Those qualities in him kept our friendship alive even after so many years.

"Are you there"?, the strange caller interrupted my thoughts
"Yeah", I answered rather absent-mindedly.
"Where is he now"? I asked
"The pinnacle hospital", he replied and went on "I guess you know where that is"
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 11:35pm On Aug 20, 2013
Don't just view and no comment.
You can correct, critisize and encourage me. It means a lot to me to know someone is following. Thanks

One more update for tonight is coming......
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 11:36pm On Aug 20, 2013
"Ask for Dr Imran Shuraim when you get here", he went on without waiting for my reply and added some words of am expecting you as soon as possible.
"Ofcourse, I'll do that first thing tomorrow morning and Thanks", I replied ending the call.

I laid on my bed thinking about the turn of events. Earlier the same day, Basheer called to inform me he was coming to Kano from Sokoto as he was studying Biochemistry over there in Usman Danfodio University, Sokoto (UDUS) while I was studying the same course in Bayero University, Kano (BUK). I tried talking him out of it as it wasn't less than a month that he left for sokoto.
"There's no point in you coming home now, friend", I had said after he told me his intention
"Lectures are not on and am through with my registration,I am just coming to spend a few days, just to kill time", he replied
"So what's the point"?, I asked him and added
"Mine are already on (referring to my lectures) and you know I won't skip lectures just to hang out with you", I teased him
" then I'll go with you to the lectures, if you insist", he teased back.
I knew this wasn't going anywhere, as far as he wanted to come, nothing will make him change his mind. So I told him I'll be expecting him and he should call me as soon as he's ready to leave. We talked for a few more minutes and hang up.

The time was 5:45pm, 7 hrs since Basheer called to inform me he was leaving sokoto and I have not heard from him since then. I tried calling him, but his number wasn't going through.
Re: Evergreen Memories by yemi2plus(m): 11:58pm On Aug 20, 2013
underage: Dnt just view and no comment.
U can correct, critisize and encourage me. It means a lot to me to know sum1 is following. Thnks.

One more update 4 tonight is coming......
you asked for it, start by writing your words in full, avoid abbreviation.
Re: Evergreen Memories by yemi2plus(m): 12:01am On Aug 21, 2013
underage: At the age of 19, i have grown into a young woman, matured both in looks and mind. I was dark, slim and tall havin curves at the right places. I had beautiful bright eyes, a pointed nose and well-shaped lips, I was indeed beautiful.
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 1:45pm On Aug 21, 2013
yemi2plus2:
you asked for it, start by writing your words in full, avoid abbreviation.

Thanks for the correction, please bear with me in the previous updates. I'll correct that in future updates. smiley
Re: Evergreen Memories by LaRochelle(f): 2:41pm On Aug 21, 2013
Hi, underage. Writing is a step by step thing. Practice makes perfect. Here are my recommendations/corrections:
- Always write out your words in full. Use "th" instead of "d", "you" instead of "u", etc.
- Proper nouns should start with capital letters. Although you've been doing that, some words like Sokoto, weren't capitalised.
- Make your updates a bit more lengthy than it is now. Short updates don't really capture the attention of readers.
I think these are a few that I observed. Ride on, sweets.
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 2:46pm On Aug 21, 2013
La Rochelle: Hi, underage. Writing is a step by step thing. Practice makes perfect. Here are my recommendations/corrections:
- Always write out your words in full. Use "th" instead of "d", "you" instead of "u", etc.
- Proper nouns should start with capital letters. Although you've been doing that, some words like Sokoto, weren't capitalised.
- Make your updates a bit more lengthy than it is now. Short updates don't really capture the attention of readers.
I think these are a few that I observed. Ride on, sweets.

Thanks for the observations. I will try to make the updates a bit more lengthy, there are alot of things holding me up which I have to take care of. Please bear with me.
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 3:03pm On Aug 21, 2013
I was sitting on the sofa at one end of my room looking worried, my phone by my side. I picked it up, tried calling Basheer again after so many abortive tries, it still wasn't connecting
"Oh Allah", I said under my breath and wished everything was alright with my dear friend.
It was unlike him to swicth off his phone and very unlike him to come into town without informing me.
But what was wrong? I thought

An idea strucked me as I picked up my phone again, dailled a number and put the phone to my ear as it connected.

"Salamu alaikum", he greeted me in the usual islamic way, I could feel he was smiling as he picked the call
"Walaika salam", I answered
"Ah, the friend(trying to mimic the way Basheer calls me), what a pleasant suprise. To what do I have dis honour of you calling me today", Adam teased
I laughed then replied, " You know I always call you whenever I miss you, so it occured to me that I was missing you today"
"How I wished that was true, I told Basheer to extend my love to you this morning before he left", he replied
He gave me the answer to my question even before I asked, so Basheer really left for Kano this morning, I was lost in thoughts.
So where is he? I asked myself.
"Hello..."? Adam's voice broke my thoughts.
"You seem to be quiet, is anything the matter"? He asked
"Yeah, its just that I haven't heard from Basheer since he informed me he's leaving Sokoto and I am a bit worried", I answered, really sounding worried.
"That's strange, but don't worry, everything will be fine", he assured me.

Adam was Basheer's close friend and roommate, we were very familiar with each other and I usually contacted him whenever I couldn't reach Basheer. He had promised to let me know if anything arise and after talking to him on the phone, I felt relaxed although I still haven't heard from Basheer.

Two hours later, I was sitting alone in my room as I preferred being alone whenever I am worried over something. I was going through the pages of the latest Dijah magazine but my mind was not with the beautiful pictures I was staring at, I was about dropping the magazine when my phone rang. I said a silent prayer to Allah; to let the caller be my dear friend.
How wrong was I!
I kept looking at the phone as if it would answer the call itself, saw an unknown number, hesitated a bit before picking up the phone.

"Salamu alaikum", I greeted as I answered the call
"Wa alaiki salam", a strange male voice answered.
"Can I speak to Miss Na'imah please?" he asked
"Yeah, it's me on the line. What can I do for you?" I replied, feeling nervous
"I am sure you are a close relative of Basheer M. Bello, right?" he said more of a statement rather than a question
"Yes", I replied then added;
"What about him?", I sounded worried
The strange caller was silent for a few seconds before he added;
"He was involved in a tragic car accident", he said slowly
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 9:36pm On Aug 21, 2013
"Why are you crying?", my mum's voice interrupted my thoughts
"Am not crying", I replied coming back to my senses
It was just then I noticed the tears trickling down my cheeks.
She sat down on the sofa as I sat up on the bed supporting myself with my pillow.
"You still haven't heard any news about Basheer?", she asked
As I have complained to her how I haven't heard from him since morning. I kept silent for a while before adding;
"No, I just got a call from a doctor. He was involved in a car accident on his way", I said with tears in my eyes
"Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'un", she exclaimed
"How bad is it"?, she continued
"I don't know, but the doctor said he needed my help and I have to go to the hospital as soon as possible", I answered amidst tears.
"Everithing will be fine, I am sure its not that bad", she said hugging me,trying to console me.
"Its already late now, why don't you go to sleep so that you can wake up early to go to the hospital", she added.

I managed to take my shower and slipped into my nightie after my mum left. I felt better as I laid down to sleep.

How bad is it? Would he be alright soon? How much pain is he in now? Those were the thoughts that came running in my mind as I tried to sleep
But sleep was nowhere to be found.........

The Pinnacle Hospital is a private hospital situated at No. 18 Masallacin Murtala Road off Zoo road in the heart of Kano city. It was a bright morning and I noticed there was traffic as I drove along BUK road as workers were trying to get to their workplaces while parents were trying to get their kids to School, Commercial drivers were already at work. The hustle and bustle along the way with impatient drivers honking their horns didn't take my mind off thinking about the previous day.

I couldn't sleep well last night and my eyes were red as a result of crying. I was deep in thoughts as I recalled my conversation with Dr. Imran Shuraim.
"Why did he say Basheer needed my help", I asked myself.
"You will find out soon", a voice inside me said.

"Hey.....move", shouted an impatient driver bringing me back to my senses.
I noticed the light has turned to green and I was the only one yet to move. I wiped away tears from my eyes as I changed the gear to drive, released the handbrakes and drove on.

It was 8:45am when I parked my Honda Civic (Thank you daddy) in one of the empty parking spaces at The Pinnacle Hospital. I was nervous or rather tense as I walked up to the main building of the hospital.

The only building in the hospital served for offices, wards and laboratories. It was a two-storey building painted beautifully and decorated with flowers of different species. It was indeed a beautiful sight.
I walked through the main door and over to the receptionist.
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 9:42pm On Aug 21, 2013
More updates coming soon. Thank you all for reading grin

1 Like

Re: Evergreen Memories by yemi2plus(m): 10:10pm On Aug 21, 2013
Just some observation.
1. Let's know the meaning of the local language you're using.
I.e "Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'un"
2. Since the story is in the past, change the "is" to "was" in your previous and future updates.
3. Avoid abbreviation, if you must you them let's be familiar with it. I.e 'BUK' the fact the you know the meaning, does not mean we'll know it.
Nice storyline you gat. moreover, it looks non-fictional.#following
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 11:31pm On Aug 21, 2013
yemi2plus2: Just some observation.
1. Let's know the meaning of the local language you're using.
I.e "Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'un"
2. Since the story is in the past, change the "is" to "was" in your previous and future updates.
3. Avoid abbreviation, if you must you them let's be familiar with it. I.e 'BUK' the fact the you know the meaning, does not mean we'll know it.
Nice storyline you gat. moreover, it looks non-fictional.#following

Thanks for following.
"Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'un" is an islamic supplication used when you are amazed about something. Meaning "From Allah we are and to Him we shall return".
"BUK" means Bayero University, Kano. I wrote that down in the first or second post. Thanks once again. Will keep you posted soon.
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 10:00am On Aug 22, 2013
"Good morning", I greeted her with a smile
"Good morning", the female receptionist behind the desk answered looking up at me.
"You are welcome, and what can I do for you, ma'am?", she continued
"Am here to see Dr. Imran Shuraim"
"Okay, are you a patient?"
"No, just tell him Miss Na'imah is here", I answered
"Wait while I inform him", she said picking up the intercom on her desk pressing a button.
I stood while she spoke on the phone with the Doctor as I assumed.
"He said you should wait for a few minutes, you can sit on one of those while you wait", she said, pointing to a set of seats behind me.
I looked around as I sat, the hospital was a bit busy with patients trying to book for appointments and others waiting to be attended to by their consultants. There were about two others seated with me on neighbouring seats. Everyone was silent.
Busy with our thoughts, I guessed.

A few minutes later, Dr. Imran called for me, she directed me to his office and off I went. The office was upstairs.
I knocked on the door and walked into an air-conditioned room with a large desk behind which a heavily-built man was seated, two chairs facing each other, a sink at one end and an area secluded with a curtain which I guessed was used to attend to patients who needed privacy.
Dr. Imran was fair, heavily-built and good-looking. He looked up as I entered smiling
"Good morning and please sit", he greeted
"Good morning", I replied as I sat on one of the chairs
facing him.
He stared at his desk which contained some well-arranged files and other medical instruments before looking up at me.
"Miss Na'imah, I think we should see your patient first", he said
"Yes", I replied, nodding in agreement.
He stood up, led the way and we went out of the office.
I was eager and at the same time nervous. I couldn't imagine how I would see my dearest friend, this will be the first time am I am seeing him in so much pains. Actually all I could say was God please let me be able to bear this. We walked down the stairs and through a long corrider before stopping at a door. This was it!!!
My heart was beating very much faster than normal.
Dr. Imran pushed through the door and entered, I followed suit.
Basheer was lying unconscious on the bed, his head was bandaged and so was his right leg. There was also a drip attached to his right hand. He looked terrible.
"I checked on him this morning and he is yet to regain consciousness", Dr. Imran said, feeling Basheer's pulse
I couldn't say a word, I just stood there staring at Basheer like a zombie. I moved to him and sat by his side, held his hands in mine and kept staring.
"Oh Allah, please spare his life for me, let him be okay", I prayed silently in my mind
"He will be alright by Allah's grace, but before then why don't we go back to my office, there are things we need to sort out", Dr. Imran said looking at me.
I didn't reply but rather stood up, he undertsood my gesture as he led the way and we went out of the ward.
Re: Evergreen Memories by yemi2plus(m): 10:35am On Aug 22, 2013
Hope I'm not asking for too much? Feed me more.
Re: Evergreen Memories by yemi2plus(m): 10:38am On Aug 22, 2013
La Rochelle:
Re: Evergreen Memories by jendox: 11:00am On Aug 22, 2013
Miss Underage, you sure are doing a good job so far...please try to make ur updates longer
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 4:54pm On Aug 22, 2013
yemi2plus2: Hope I'm not asking for too much? Feed me more.
Ofcourse you aren't. I'll update you soon. Please bear with me, I am a wife and mother, I guess you know it isn't so easy coping with these two. Thanks
jendox: Miss Underage, you sure are doing a good job so far...please try to make ur updates longer
I will try making them longer. The title is "Mrs" grin
Re: Evergreen Memories by yemi2plus(m): 5:01pm On Aug 22, 2013
underage:
Ofcourse you aren't. I'll update you soon. Please bear with me, I am a wife and mother, I guess you know it isn't so easy coping with these two. Thanks
Yeah! I understand, I saw your other thread, am really happy for you and your baby.
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 5:36pm On Aug 22, 2013
Back at his office, he must have noticed how worried I looked when he said;
"You don't have to worry too much about him, he will be fine by Allah's grace"
"Why isn't he awake after so many hours", I had to ask
"His injuries are complicated and mostly on the head", he explained and went on, "We have given him all necassary medications and hope he'll regain consciousness within the next 24 hours".
The temperature in the room was beginning to get cold for me, I felt feverish.
"I happened to be on the spot of the accident which occured not far away from the city outskirts", he said narrating how he found Basheer
"It was a tragic accident because the car is now a wreck, he continued, there was Nobody to tell how it all happened as there were no eyewitnessess but am sure he must have been speeding", he concluded.
I knew Basheer was not a careless driver but he sometimes speed especially on less busy highways. I kept mute so he went on;
"With the help of some good samaritans, I managed to get him here before contacting any of his relatives or reporting the accident to the Police. I tried contacting few numbers which I assumed belonged to his family by the way he saved them on his phone but none went through...",
"His family are out of the country, they stay abroad", I interuppted with a voice not sounding like mine.
"I see, that explains it", Dr. Imran said
"But then I found your number in his recent calls, so I called you and then finally reported the case to the Police", he concluded.
"Thank you, I really appreciate your kindness", I finally found my voice
"I'll make sure I get in touch with his family but with his family so faraway, am the closest person to him and I can take care of things, the ones I can't, my Dad will", I said
"Okay, now we have to run down to the police station to clear things off and collect his valuables", he said looking at me
"Yes, but I think my Dad is in the best position to do that", I suggested
"That will be alright", he answered, nodding in agreement.
I brought out my phone from my handbag and called my Dad, explained to him the situation as he was already aware of the accident, he said it was alright and he'll come down to the hospital immediately. I then sent a text message to Adam informing him about what happened. He called immediately, I could feel the pain in his voice as he spoke, he said he will be on his way as soon as possible. I made a few more calls to my friends telling them I will not make it to school and they should take care of anything that comes up, they said they will.

I went back to Basheer leaving Dr. Imran, as there were patients waiting for him. I looked around the ward, which contained a sofa, a television set with a fridge serving as a stand at one corner of the room and also the bed on which my dearest friend lay unconscious. There was also a door which led to the bathroom and the whole floor was tiled. By the bedside was a locker probably for keeping drugs and other necassary materials.

I went to his side and held his hand in mine. I felt his body was warm and he was breathing normally. Sitting there by his side, so many thoughts came running back to my mind, I remembered how Basheer has always been by my side throughout my life, I knew I had to be here for him no matter what happens. I was right! With his family so faraway from him, I was in the best position to take care of him.
"You are a part of me, friend", I recalled him saying
I knew Basheer was a part of me as I am a part of him, he was the brother I never had. I kept thinking.
My mind flashed back to a few years ago when I happened to dislocate my right knee joint. It was a bright morning and we were both in JSS 3 then. Basheer has seized my phone as I was trying to hide a text message from him (The message was sent from a secret admirer...lol). He ran down the stairs and as I ran after him to get hold of him, I slipped. The sharp cry I let out brought Basheer running back to me as he held me while calling for help.
That was how I ended up on the hospital bed with Basheer my side all through my stay.
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 5:37pm On Aug 22, 2013
yemi2plus2:
Yeah! I understand, I saw your other thread, am really happy for you and your baby.

Thank you so much.
Re: Evergreen Memories by yemi2plus(m): 5:53pm On Aug 22, 2013
underage:

Thank you so much.
you're welcome.
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 6:08pm On Aug 22, 2013
yemi2plus2:
you're welcome.

I am just reading your thread (2go love- a story), really enjoying it.
Re: Evergreen Memories by jendox: 10:01pm On Aug 22, 2013
underage:

I will try making them longer. The title is "Mrs" grin
Awww!!! Thats so cool. Congrats, my regardz to ur hubby grin
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 12:34pm On Aug 23, 2013
All these viewers and no comments, Abeg advice, correct and criticise. I need it guys. Am sorry for not updating, am still working on them, will post later in the day. Thank you all.
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 4:05pm On Aug 23, 2013
"Salamu Alaikum", My dad's voice interuppted my thoughts.
"Wa alaika salam", I answered, standing
"Na'imah", he called
"Na'am Baba (hausa meaning of Yes, father)", I answered trying hard to smile.
"How is he?", he asked
"He is still unconscious but the Doctor said they hope he regains consciousness within the next 24 hours", I answered looking at Basheer.
"Yes, I have met him, he is also on his way", he explained.
There was a moment of silence as Dr. Imran came in, greeted me and checked on Basheer.
"I think we should run down to the station, it's not faraway from here", he said turning to my Dad and reached for the door.
"That'll be alright", he answered and then turning back to me he said," We won't take long and what would you like for breakfast as your Mum is coming over too?"
"I don't have appetite for anything and I am not even hungry", I answered.
"You have to eat something", he said looking at me while reaching for the door.
"How on earth can I eat with Basheer lying unconscious?" I asked myself

About an hour later, my parents came in, I was now sitting on the sofa. My mum looked worried as she dropped a basket on the locker by the bedside. She looked at Basheer and shook her head.
"I wish him a very quick recovery", she said sitting by my side.
We went over to the police station and collected the remaining of his valuables", My Dad said
"I know you could make use of this to contact his family", he added handing Basheer's phone to me.
I took the phone, switched it on and waited while it rebooted. Messages from BBM, Watsapp, Facebook came tropping the moment the service came up. I knew Basheer to be a social networker. I didn't bothered going through the messages but rather went through his contacts, found his Mum's number and dialed.
"Hello", she answered at first ring. She sounded anxious.
"Salamu Alaikum", I greeted her.
"Wa alaiki salam, Na'imah is that you?", she asked
"Yes mum", I confirmed
"Where is Basheer? We have been trying to reach him since yesterday but all efforts proved abortive, is he alright?" she sounded really worried.
I couldn't answer any of her questions. How can I tell her Basheer is lying unconscious on a hospital bed? Tears rolled down my cheeks.
"Na'imah, speak to me, where is Basheer?", she asked once more.
I couldn't bear it anymore, I handed the phone to my Mum as I burst into tears.
I could hear my Mum telling her Basheer is not well but it's nothing serious. She wanted to talk to him but my Mum told her he was asleep. She ended the call after saying she would call later when he is awake.
My Mum consoled me assuring that everything will be alright soon. But how soon? I asked myself. Basheer was still unconscious and the Doctors can't do anything to regain him, we just have to wait, But for how long? I asked myself once more
"That only Allah knows", a small voice inside me said.
I managed to eat little of the food my Mum had brought because I was now starving.

It was past noon when my parents got up ready to leave as they had to go back to work. My Mum promised to come back later in the evening. They were about to leave when Dr. Imran came in.
"Are you leaving already?", he asked
"Yes", my Dad answered smiling
He checked on Basheer once more, nodded his head as he felt his pulse.
"His breathing is still normal" he explained
"Alhamdulillah", my dad exclaimed, smiling
(Alhamdulillah=Thanks be to Allah).
"We should be on our way now", he continued
Dr. Imran looked towards me for the first time since he came in.
"Aren't you going with them" he asked
"No", I answered resting my head on the sofa.
"Why not?, He'll be fine. You can go home and relax a bit then come back later. Lets hope he is awake before then", he said.
"I want to be here when he gets back", I answered
"But.....", he started
"Let her be", my Dad interrupted. He knew too well how stubborn I could be.
"Okay, Dr. Imran said smiling and continued, I hope Basheer Loves you as much as you do".
"He does", I said to myself as they all went out of the room.

I went over to Basheer, said a silent prayer over him and squeezed his hand. There was no response. I went back to the sofa and few minutes later I was fast asleep.
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 4:21pm On Aug 23, 2013
Please drop your comments pals. I repeat;advice, correct and criticize. I need them all. Thank you for reading.
Re: Evergreen Memories by yemi2plus(m): 4:23pm On Aug 23, 2013
Lol! You fell asleep?
Basheer might even wake up before you.
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 4:27pm On Aug 23, 2013
yemi2plus2: Lol! You fell asleep?
Basheer might even wake up before you.

grin U know sleep is a theif
Re: Evergreen Memories by yemi2plus(m): 8:33am On Aug 24, 2013
underage:

grin U know sleep is a theif
yes
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 11:52am On Aug 24, 2013
I woke up with a start, I opened my eyes to a strange room. It took me a few seconds to recall where I was. I looked over to where Basheer was lying. He was still there unconscious. I went over to him and felt his pulse. He was still breathing normally. I heaved a sigh of relief.
I went over to where I kept both my phone and Basheer's on the fridge top. I took mine, glanced through it. The time was 4:25pm, I had slept for over 2 hours. I had 3 missed calls and some messages, I didn't bother going through them. I dropped the phone as I picked Basheer's, to my uttermost suprise, he had 13 missed calls. 3 were from his Mum while the rest were from his friends, they probably wanted to know his whereabouts. I dropped the phone as I went to the bathroom. I refreshed up, perfomed my ablution and returned to the room to perform my Asr (Evening) prayers.

A few minutes later, Dr. Imran came in. He smiled as he looked at me.
"So u are awake, I came in while you were fast asleep", he said as he moved over to Basheer
"Yes, I needed it", I replied sitting up.
He smiled then added," I gave him a few injections earlier in the day, am suprised he's not awake by now. But I think he'll get back soon".
"Why don't you go home now, there are nurses here to take care of him" he said adjusting Basheer's arm.
"I told you I want to be here when he wakes up", I answered looking away from him.
He kept mute as he wrote down a few things on Basheer's file which he took from the locker by the bedside.
"Okay then, see you later", he finally replied, putting the file back from where he took it.
I felt lonely when Dr. Imran left.
Basheer's phone startled me as it rang bringing me back from my world of thoughts. I managed to reach for it while sitting, glanced at the screen and saw the caller was his Mum. My heart missed a beat!!!
"Assalamu Alaikum", I greeted her as I picked the call.
"Wa alaiki salam", she answered then continued, "Na'imah, how is Basheer feeling?"
"He is better now", I lied
"Can I speak to him now?", she asked
I kept silent for a few seconds before answering.
"No, he is still asleep but I will call you as soon as he wakes up", I said sounding sober.
"What is wrong with him exactly, you sound really worried and I am worried too?", She asked
I wasn't sure how to answer this question, but I knew I have to tell her the truth because sooner or later she'll find out.
"He had an accident", I finally built up the courage to break the news to her.
"Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'un (from Allah we are and to Him we shall return)!!!", she exclaimed
"When? How? Where?", those were the only words she managed to say as she burst into tears. I heard someone, probably his Dad asking what was wrong before the call ended.
Tears rolled down my cheeks as I sat on the sofa and held my head with my hands.
"Oh Allah!!!" I said within me.
I maintained that position for a few minutes with Noone to console me, then I heard a slight noise.........
Basheer had stirred on his bed!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Night With My Lady / Agonies Of Fatherhood / Debt From Home. ( a killer's instinct)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.