Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,239 members, 7,836,144 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread - Sports (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread (21236 Views)

Nigeria Vs Mali. African U23 Championship (3 - 2) On 29th November 2015 / Fantasy Football In Nigeria 2013/14 Season (lovefootballfc.com) / Liberia V Nigeria: 2013 AFCON Qualifier (2 - 2) On September 8th 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by Krasid(m): 1:56pm On Aug 28, 2013
Afam4eva: This Angolan team will really be difficult to beat. I hope we don't meet them in the semis.
I think Nigeria will meet Egypt or Cape verde in the semis if they beat Senegal.
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by Horus(m): 2:00pm On Aug 28, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5ZAkaRiENY

AfroBasket - Cape Verde v Central African Republic (highlights)
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by dominique(f): 2:08pm On Aug 28, 2013
Sagamite:

Angola is to African Basketball what Brazil is to football or even, to put it more potently, they are the USA of African basketball.

Nigeria can avoid them till the finals, so there is really very little excuse not to take a medal as things stand. Nigeria is the second strongest Basketball team on paper in Africa. Egypt, Ivory Coast and Tunisia follow.

Egypt is looking very weak.

Ivory Coast would have to go through Angola to meet Nigeria.

Tunisia has already been knocked out.

Nigeria needs to beat Senegal and then Egypt/Cape Verde. They really have little excuse not to get to the finals.

Senegal is another force to reckon with in African basketball, they're next after Angola. If my memory serves me well, they knocked our team out of last season's championship.

Wishing them all the best in their match tonight (hope I'm awake to watch it embarassed). I know say one day one day we go defeat that Angolan team. Go tigers go !!!cool

1 Like

Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by Afam4eva(m): 2:12pm On Aug 28, 2013
dominique:

Senegal is another force to reckon with in African basketball, they're next after Angola. If my memory serves me well, they knocked our team out of last season's championship.

Wishing them all the best in their match tonight (hope I'm awake to watch it embarassed). I know say one day one day we go defeat that Angolan team. Go tigers go !!!cool
Senegal may be a force to be reckoned with but they're not next after Angola. That title belongs to Nigeria. Angola has always been our waterloo.
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by adbaba(m): 2:14pm On Aug 28, 2013
dominique:

i think Nigeria beat them in the last AAG to win gold!.i stand to be corrected.
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by Nobody: 2:14pm On Aug 28, 2013
Live Match: Angola 47 v. Morocco 23
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by Horus(m): 2:22pm On Aug 28, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDVJ951m9V0

AfroBasket - Rwanda v Burkina Faso (highlights)
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by akintun: 3:14pm On Aug 28, 2013
adbaba:

Tunisia are d defending champion
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by Sagamite(m): 3:29pm On Aug 28, 2013
akintun:

AAG stands for All African Games.

Tunisia are champions of Afro-Basketball Championships.

The first is like Olympics, the second is like World Cup.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by adbaba(m): 3:34pm On Aug 28, 2013
akintun:

Tunisia are champions of Afro basketball for 2011 .while Nig is All African Games champion that same year.
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 28, 2013
Going by the law of averages, I know that one day D'Tigers will overcome their Angolan hoodoo; just like the Super Eagles overcame their Cameroonian hoodoo in football.
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by luvablesam(m): 3:46pm On Aug 28, 2013
CFCfan: Going by the law of averages, I know that one day D'Tigers will overcome their Angolan hoodoo; just like the Super Eagles overcame their Cameroonian hoodoo in football.

Av u seen d angolans lately? Their players are gettin really old

They just finished their match with morrocco
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by eaglechild: 4:16pm On Aug 28, 2013
What time is Nigeria's game against Senegal?
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by Krasid(m): 4:20pm On Aug 28, 2013
eaglechild: What time is Nigeria's game against Senegal?
9p.m

1 Like

Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by Nobody: 4:21pm On Aug 28, 2013
eaglechild: What time is Nigeria's game against Senegal?

9pm Nigerian time.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by Krasid(m): 4:25pm On Aug 28, 2013
dominique:

Yes, Senegal is a force to be reckoned with in African Basket ball.They have won this tournament 5 times, but that was a very long time ago.Currently, Nigeria is ahead of them, we are just behind Angola, but like someone said, we have also defeated Angola in the AAG.
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by Sagamite(m): 5:03pm On Aug 28, 2013
CFCfan: Going by the law of averages, I know that one day D'Tigers will overcome their Angolan hoodoo; just like the Super Eagles overcame their Cameroonian hoodoo in football.

Cameroun dey fire our yansh anytime they meet us for ANC final na, and dem don win more ANC than us. grin grin grin

I don't see us overcoming Angola anytime soon. They simply dominate and are that good.

The only way we can overcome them soon is to drastically review our funding and reward programme for basketball so we can attract the best Nigerian-American basketballers to play for Nigeria.

The thing there is that outside the NBA and some few major Europe-based basketball leagues (Spain, Italy, Russia and Greece), many basketball players don't make alot of money.

In America, if you are not in the NBA, the next layer of leagues (minor leagues) hardly pay you over $30K per year.

In Europe, only the top elite players get paid top pay, which are effectively the equivalent of lower paid NBA players ($1.3m). Majority of average and lower paid basketball players in Europe hardly make over $300K. Many less than $100K.

So if Nigeria was to reward players with roughly maximum $50K (if they win tournaments) to play for the national team annually, we would increase and improve the talent of players coming to play for us. That is big money to many basketballers.

We cannot compete with Angola because they have a far better local league than us. The only place we have advantage is the immense number of Nigerians in diaspora, of whom many are in America borning kids. Angola cannot compete with us on that, and many lower leagues in the US are better than Angolan league.

Maybe even with that chicken change and improved successes, we could have attracted some NBA players like: Hakeem Olajuwon, Emeka Okafor, Andre Ighuodala etc.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by dominique(f): 5:07pm On Aug 28, 2013
adbaba:

Kk, didn't know that I still believe we can beat them in this tourney. Let's cross our senegalese hurdle first sha.
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by king94(m): 5:53pm On Aug 28, 2013
Sagamite:

Cameroun dey fire our yansh anytime they meet us for ANC final na, and dem don win more ANC than us. grin grin grin

I don't see us overcoming Angola anytime soon. They simply dominate and are that good.

The only way we can overcome them soon is to drastically review our funding and reward programme for basketball so we can attract the best Nigerian-American basketballers to play for Nigeria.

The thing there is that outside the NBA and some few major Europe-based basketball leagues (Spain, Italy, Russia and Greece), many basketball players don't make alot of money.

In America, if you are not in the NBA, the next layer of leagues (minor leagues) hardly pay you over $30K per year.

In Europe, only the top elite players get paid top pay, which are effectively the equivalent of lower paid NBA players ($1.3m). Majority of average and lower paid basketball players in Europe hardly make over $300K. Many less than $100K.

So if Nigeria was to reward players with roughly maximum $50K (if the win tournaments) to play for the national team annually, we would increase and improve the talent of players coming to play for us. That is big money to many basketballers.

We cannot compete with Angola because they have a far better local league than us. The only place we have advantage is the immense number of Nigerians in diaspora, of whom many are in America borning kids. Angola cannot compete with us on that, and many lower leagues in the US are better than Angolan league.

Maybe even with that chicken change and improved successes, we could have attracted some NBA players like: Hakeem Olajuwon, Emeka Okafor, Andre Ighuodala etc.
All but two of d members of our present squad were born abroad.Only Stanley Gumut plays in d Nigerian basketball league.Ayo Bakare has done a gud job in makin nigerians based in d diaspora play 4 us.The Angolan league might be better than ours BUT our present crop of players are better than theirs
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by Sagamite(m): 6:02pm On Aug 28, 2013
king94: All but two of d members of our present squad were born abroad.Only Stanley Gumut plays in d Nigerian basketball league.Ayo Bakare has done a gud job in makin nigerians based in d diaspora play 4 us.The Angolan league might be better than ours BUT our present crop of players are better than theirs

I know.

But I think the present Angolan team can beat them.
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by eaglechild: 6:28pm On Aug 28, 2013
Cote d'ivore vs Cameroon about to start
Promises to be interesting
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by Krasid(m): 6:37pm On Aug 28, 2013
Close one between Egypt and Cape verde.If Nigeria beats Senegal, they might just make it to the final.
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by king94(m): 6:43pm On Aug 28, 2013
Sagamite:

I know.

But I think the present Angolan team can beat them.
I have watched d present Angolan team play and I feel dat dey are just dere.I don't think dey would get 2 d final so I have no fear of dem playin Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by king94(m): 6:44pm On Aug 28, 2013
Krasid: Close one between Egypt and Cape verde.If Nigeria beats Senegal, they might just make it to the final.
Who won?
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by Krasid(m): 6:45pm On Aug 28, 2013
king94: Who won?
Egypt won 74-73
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by Afam4eva(m): 7:01pm On Aug 28, 2013
king94: I have watched d present Angolan team play and I feel dat dey are just dere.I don't think dey would get 2 d final so I have no fear of dem playin Nigeria.
They're just there when compared to the US team but in Africa, they're the king and it's evident in the way they molested Morocco.
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by eaglechild: 7:04pm On Aug 28, 2013
CIV 24
CMR 20
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by king94(m): 7:22pm On Aug 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
They're just there when compared to the US team but in Africa, they're the king and it's evident in the way they molested Morocco.
Last tym I checked,dey didn't qualify 4 d London Olympics.Based on deir matches in d preliminary stages,I feel dey ar livin on past glory.I don't feel dey ar gud enof 4 d trophy.
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by Horus(m): 7:39pm On Aug 28, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETv-8x6O_Ms

AfroBasket - Senegal v Rwanda (highlights)
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by Ayire(m): 7:53pm On Aug 28, 2013
Naija to win Senegal by 20 points.....go d'tigers. click like if u agree

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by collynzo2(m): 7:56pm On Aug 28, 2013
@Horus stop posting gay videos on this page please, if you can't post the video of Nigeria's match yesterday, put a cork on it!
Re: Nigeria 2013 Afro-Basketball Championship Fans Thread by dominique(f): 8:39pm On Aug 28, 2013
Morroco and Algeria

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply)

Adebayo Akinfenwa 'the Beast' Wants Chicken For Pre-match Before England Call-up / Dalung Accuses NFF Of Fraud At Rio 2016. NFF Replies. / Tammy Abraham Tells England FA He Remains Available For Selection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.