Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,938 members, 7,952,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:14 AM

Nigerians And The Misconception Of Food Poisoning - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerians And The Misconception Of Food Poisoning (741 Views)

Common Foods That Cause Food Poisoning / Nigerians And Paracetamol Consumption / Widow, Daughters Die Of Food-Poisoning In Imo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians And The Misconception Of Food Poisoning by Nobody: 2:31am On Aug 22, 2013
I am writing this because I am sick of reading the misinformation in the Nigerian media and amongst Nigerians of the term " food poisoning"
Food poisoning does not mean someone put poison in the food.
Food poisoning is an infective condition caused by eating undercooked meat products or uncooked foods contaminated by infected fecal matter.
The commonest organisms in food poisoning are Salmonella( contracted mainly from unpasteurized milk,cheese undercooked eggs or poultry,E.coli from undercooked beef products and Shigella from unwashed fruits and veggies infected by fecal matter containing shigella.This condition usually causes dysentery ( blood in stool)
There are many other organisms but the above three are perhaps the commonest
Food poisoning is therefore caused by bacteria and their toxins not poison by your jealous neighbors and wicked relatives .
That is not food poisoning and Nigerians should stop confusing the two
That your food was poisoned is another thing all together and should not be confused with food poisoning

Symptoms of food poisoning are
Stomach cramps
Nausea
Vomiting
Diarrhea sometimes with blood in the stool
Weakness
Some cause fever

Most affected people with good immune system recover very quickly and do not require any medications but just fluid and mineral replacement to keep from dehydration.
Some cases are more serious and can lead to death if left untreated

[size=18pt]Please stop attributing it to the food being poisoned by an enemy.[/size]

To prevent food poisoning you should

1. Always cook your meat thoroughly
2. Refrigerate left overs immediately
3 avoid eating salads and fruits from sources you are unsure of
4. Avoid those meat pies carried in show cases in the hot sun,they are usually teaming with bacteria
5 keep away from roadside food vendors ( they don't often have water for hand washing)
Re: Nigerians And The Misconception Of Food Poisoning by Nobody: 3:01am On Aug 22, 2013
exactly

Even water (bad water from stream, river) can cause food poisoning..

The word Poisons (Toxins) are substances that cause disturbances to organisms, usually by chemical reaction or other activity.

People just mistake these "rat killers" as poisons.. Whereas they are not.

The popular indocid (Indometacin) for instance is not a poison, but the overuse/misuse is what makes it poisonous.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And The Misconception Of Food Poisoning by Nobody: 8:56am On Aug 22, 2013
acidosis™:
exactly

Even water (bad water from stream, river) can cause food poisoning..

The word Poisons (Toxins) are substances that cause disturbances to organisms, usually by chemical reaction or other activity.

[s]People just mistake these "rat killers" as poisons.. Whereas they are not.[/s]

[s]The popular indocid (Indometacin) for instance is not a poison,[/s] but the overuse/misuse is what makes it poisonous.

All substances are poisons. There is none which is not a poison.
- Paracelsus (1493-1541) That was the first thing I learnt in my School of Pharmacy.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And The Misconception Of Food Poisoning by Afam4eva(m): 8:57am On Aug 22, 2013
When Nigerians say poison, they mean something that's capable of killing instantly without realizing that an unhealthy food can be said to be poisoned.
Re: Nigerians And The Misconception Of Food Poisoning by Nobody: 6:03am On Aug 23, 2013
Bludeville:

All substances are poisons. There is none which is not a poison.
- Paracelsus (1493-1541) That was the first thing I learnt in my School of Pharmacy.

A layman may not understand the principle..

I'd rather say "only the dose makes a thing not a poison.
Re: Nigerians And The Misconception Of Food Poisoning by tpia5: 2:53am On Nov 27, 2014
grazi

(1) (Reply)

Anti-rape Condom For Women! / Graves Disease: Definition, Causes, Signs And Symptoms / Rare Undersea Discovery That Could Extend Your Life By 30 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.