Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,021 members, 7,852,506 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 07:23 PM

What Does Islam Tell About Jesus? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does Islam Tell About Jesus? (441 Views)

10 Tips For Talking About Jesus / See What The Us Govt Is Saying About Jesus Christ, The Bible, And Christians!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Does Islam Tell About Jesus? by AlMusteqim(m): 6:21pm On Aug 22, 2013
I must first explain what Islam means, it means that we only worship God who created us and created the Universe, so He is the Only One that deserves to be worshipped, He sent messengers to tell people about this absolute fact and remind them about it and about its requirements, Jesus (Peace be upon him) was from the prophets.

We as Muslims believe in Jesus (Peace be upon him), we believe in him being miraculously born from virgin Mary (Peace be upon her) 91. And remember her who guarded her chastity, so WE breathed into her of Our Word and WE made her and her son a Sign for all peoples. (Holy Koran 21:91), Not only this we also have a chapter in the Koran called the chapter of Mary. This chapter talked about Jesus (Peace be upon him) being born

We believe in the miracles God gave to Jesus (Peace be upon him) that he spoke while he was only a baby, healed those born blind, healed the lepers, revived the dead, breathed life into a bird made of clay, the Koran mentioned all these miracles and we acknowledge it. All Muslims love Jesus (Peace be upon him).

But at the same time we can’t say that he is God, because God is higher than being incarnated to a man who comes out of his mother, then grows as a baby, eats, enters the bathroom, gets tired,…..etc. or having a son, all these beliefs were found after Jesus (Peace be upon him) and Jesus (Peace be upon him) is totally innocent from saying this.

Did Jesus really say “I am God”?

Jesus (Peace be upon him) never said the word “I am God” nor “I am the second person in Trinity”, nor “I am human and divine”, but as I mentioned before, he clearly said that the Father is the only God, and that He is his God, and that he doesn’t know the hour,…..etc. You will tell me that he clearly declared his deity through lots of scriptures, I say actually he didn’t say it clearly, but all these are conclusions made, and by examining them, we find that they are not real, I will try in this section to cover these scriptures as much as I can, and if I forgot something, you can contact me.

“Before Abraham was born, I am!”

This actually is not a proof that Jesus is God because he is eternal, because this language was present in the Bible, it only means that he was in God’s foreknowledge, the same as what said concerning Jeremiah and Paul:

Jer 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee, and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee; I have appointed thee a prophet unto the nations.

Eph 1:4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blemish before him in love:

The context also proves this when he said before:

Joh 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day; and he saw it, and was glad. Joh 8:57 The Jews therefore said unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? Joh 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was born, I am.

Jesus (Peace be upon him) meant here is that Abraham (Peace be upon him) rejoiced when he knew that Jesus (Peace be upon him) will be from his descendants, and this is clear through the word “my day”, he didn’t say:”when he saw me”, this clearly means that he meant that Abraham knew that he will be raised one day, so he was rejoiced for that day.

The word “I AM” doesn’t claim divinty, anyone can say I am. The word “ego eimi” if it really meant Jehovah, it wouldn’t have been translated but it have been written Jehovah. Besides, others said it: Some said, “It is he.” Others said, “No, but he is like him.” He kept saying, “I am the man.” (John 9:9), so the beggar also may become a divine!! But it actually means “I am the Messiah”, and this is very clear with what he said to the Samaritan woman:

Joh 4:25 The woman saith unto him, I know that Messiah cometh (he that is called Christ): when he is come, he will declare unto us all things. Joh 4:26 Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.

Which was said in other translation:

Jesus says it “I am NOT God”

A common question that has been a point of dispute among the history is: “Is Jesus God?”. Muslims believe he is not God, but a prophet. Christians say that he is God. Now as there is a dispute, there must be a judge to solve this dispute. The judge here is Jesus himself, what did Jesus say in the Bible?

Jesus (Peace be upon him) never said that he is God, but as the Quran says:

116. And when ALLAH will say, `O Jesus, son of Mary, didst thou say to men, `Take me and my mother for two gods beside ALLAH ?’ he will answer, `Holy art THOU, I could never say that which I had no right. If I had said it, Thou wouldst have surely known it. Thou knowest what is in my mind, and I know not what is in Thy mind. It is Thou alone WHO art the Knower of all hidden things; 117. `I said nothing to them except that which Thou didst command me – Worship ALLAH, my Lord and your Lord. And I was a witness over them as long as I remained among them, but since Thou didst cause me to die, Thou, hast been the Watcher over them, and Thou art Witness over all things; 118. `If Thou punish them, they are Thy servants; and if Thou forgive them, Thou surely art the Mighty, the Wise. ‘

Note: Taking Mary as a god is what the Catholics do concerning the intercession of Mary, since they pray to her and believe that she can benefit them, we as Muslims consider this as idolatry even if they didn’t say that she is a god.

The Bible itself (despite the extensive interpolation) testifies that Jesus (Peace be upon him) said that the Father is the only God, and that he is human, in the Old Testament, it says:

Num 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie, Neither the son of man, that he should repent:

And Jesus (Peace be upon him) says:

Joh 8:40 But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I heard from God: this did not Abraham.

And he repeated on telling that he is the son of man as in Luke 17:22, 7:34,….etc. Besides he kept on telling that only the Father is God:

Joh 17:1 When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, Joh 17:2 since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. Joh 17:3 And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. See, he says that the Father is the only true God, you know if he said “God” in the beginning this wouldn’t have been a proof, because God means the whole Trinity, but in this script, he clearly states the Father only is the only God not the son or the holy spirit.
And see, this is the eternal life, it is not that he is God who came in flesh or that he is a person in the Trinity, or that he is the Savior who came to be crucified for the sin of Adam, it is simply that the Father is the only God, and that Jesus is a prophet sent by God.
Also in other scripts, Jesus refers to Father as his God, and this clearly means that he is not God, and can’t be interpreted by the human nature because the human nature is supposed to be God also:
Joh 20:16 Jesus said to her, “Mary.” She turned and said to him in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (which means Teacher). Joh 20:17 Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” Mar 12:28 And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?” Mar 12:29 Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.
Mat 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

Christ even denies to be good and says that there is no good but God:
Mat 19:16 And behold, one came and said to Him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?
Mat 19:17 And He said to him, Why do you call Me good? There is none good but one, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.
See also another note; the way to enter the life is to keep the commandments, not as Paul told you that the law has no value and that only faith is enough.
These are some other scripts:

Joh 14:28″You heard me say, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.

So this means that Jesus is not equal to God as the Father is greater than him.This actually addresses what Paul said in Philippians that Jesus is equal to God, Jesus answers him saying that the Father is greater than him.

Mat 23:9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called ‘teacher,’ for you have one Teacher, the Messiah.

This means that Jesus is not more than a teacher, a prophet, he is NOT God.

Mar 13:32 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

God is omniscient, He knows everything, and Jesus acknowledges this to the Father. The Father is the only one who knows the hour neither Jesus nor the angels know about it. If Jesus doesn’t know the hour, then he is not omniscient, and since God is omniscient, then Jesus is not God.

Joh 5:30By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.

God is not only omniscient, but also omnipotent. God can do everything. This is God whom both Muslims and Christians believe to be. Jesus here denies his omnipotence, but refers it to the Father, and this is an answer to what Christians say that the signs and works Jesus made prove that he is God, Jesus here answers this claim saying: “By myself I can do nothing”.

Luke 22:42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” Lu 22:43An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him.

This may be a continuation to the above verse about God’s omnipotence. God is the Creator, He created everything, including angels. If Jesus is God, and he created everything, why shall he need one of his creatures to strengthen him? Is the creature stronger than the Creator?

171. O People of the Book ! exceed not the limits in your religion, and say not of ALLAH anything but the truth. Verily, the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, was only a Messenger of ALLAH, and a fulfillment of HIS word which HE has sent down to Mary, and a mercy from HIM. So believe in ALLAH and HIS Messengers, and say not, `They are three.’ Desist, it will be better for you. Verily, ALLAH is the only One God. Holy is HE, far above having a son. To HIM belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth. And sufficient is ALLAH as a guardian.
172. Surely, the Messiah disdains not to be a servant of ALLAH, nor do the angels who are near to Him, (Holy Quran 4)

We believe that he wasn’t crucified, but that God saved him from crucifixion, and his appearence was put on someone else( most probably Judas), so that they thought that they were crucifying him, but actually they were not, and he was raised to Heaven. Look at what the Quran says:

156. And for their disbelief(the Jews) and for their uttering against Mary a grievous calumny; 157. And for their saying, `We did slay the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, the Messenger of ALLAH;’ whereas they slew him not, nor did they bring about his death upon the cross, but he was made to appear to them like one crucified; and those who differ therein are certainly in a state of doubt about it; they have no certain knowledge thereof, but only pursue conjecture;and they did not arrive at a certainty concerning it(Holy Quran 4:156-157

Is Jesus the son of God?

One of the important issues concerning the Christian belief in Jesus (Peace be upon him) is the belief that he is the only begotten son of God before all ages, which we as Muslims don’t accept. I will try to cover this issue in this page.

First of all, the word “son of God” in itself is not a proof of that this sonship is literal, as it was used extensively in both the Old and New Testaments in a figurative meaning, i.e. that this sonship means adoption, for example we can see these scripts:

Exo 4:22 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith Jehovah, Israel is my son, my first-born:

Psa 82:6 I said, Ye are gods, And all of you sons of the Most High.

2Sa 7:14 I(God) will be his father, and he(Solomon) shall be my son (I put the words in paranthesis)

Luk 3:38 the son of Enos, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God.

Mat 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called sons of God.

Mat 5:16 Even so let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

So as we see here, this expression is used for different people , and doesn’t mean real sonship but adoptive sonship as we all agree, now Christians will say that this is not the case of Jesus as he is the son of God by begetting not by adoption:

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Actually according to the Bible, if we say that the word beget means literal sonship, this will mean that others are begotten God’s sons:

1Jo 3:9 Whosoever is begotten of God doeth no sin, because his seed abideth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is begotten of God.

1Jo 5:18 We know that whosoever is begotten of God sinneth not; but he that was begotten of God keepeth himself, and the evil one toucheth him not.

Also what proves from the Bible that sonship of Christ is not literal is some Bible verses:
Joh 8:38 I speak the things which I have seen with my Father: and ye also do the things which ye heard from your father.
As we see here, he compares his sonship to the father to the sonship of the Jews in which he said in verse 44 that there father is the Satan, which is a metaphorical father, so if he really meant a real sonship, he wouldn’t have compared his sonship to God to their sonship to the Satan.
Also another situation when he said to the Jews:”I and the Father are one”, and the Jews accused him of blasphemy, as I said before, the script he quoted here tells that he didn’t mean a literal divinity or literal sonship, but inferior one, look again at what he said:
Joh 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, ye are gods? Joh 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came (and the scripture cannot be broken), Joh 10:36 say ye of him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
So he tells again that as the judges meant in Psalms 82:6 are called gods figuratively, why do you consider me blaspheming if I said that I am the son of God? This clearly means that this sonship of God is not literal, because in this case it will be a blasphemy, while Jesus is telling that he is not blaspheming, which clearly means that this sonship is not literal.
Next, if we really considered that he was really the literally begotten son of God, what does this word mean? Christians will say it is not a real sonship, but they may say that “begotten” means “come from”, if this was the case, what is the difference between begetting the Son and proceeding of the Holy Spirit? Another interpretation is made by Theophilus of Antioch, where he says:

“Not as the poets and writers of myths talk of the sons of gods begotten from intercourse [with women], but as truth expounds, the Word, that always exists, residing within the heart of God. For before anything came into being He had Him as a counsellor, being His own mind and thought. But when God wished to make all that He determined on, He begot this Word, uttered,61 the first-born of all creation, not Himself being emptied of the Word [Reason], but having begotten Reason, and always conversing with His Reason. And hence the holy writings teach us, and all the spirit-bearing [inspired] men, one of whom, John, says, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,” (Joh_1:1) showing that at first God was alone, and the Word in Him. Then he says, “The Word was God; all things came into existence through Him; and apart from Him not one thing came into existence.” The Word, then, being God, and being naturally62 produced from God, whenever the Father of the universe wills, He sends Him to any place; and He, coming, is both heard and seen, being sent by Him, and is found in a place.”

We as Muslims don’t agree with that meaning, as if God needs to beget another person to be an attribute of Him so as to create, or that when he wills something, God doesn’t need when he wants to create something to beget a word from his heart, to be a new person whom he takes as a chancellor, or that He needs to beget the word so as to send it anywhere He wants, when God wills, He only says “be”, it becomes as God wills, but we actually look to this as a blasphemy against God. And if God wasn’t emptied from reason or word when he begat it, what is the need for begetting the word to be His Son who will be God’s chancellor? I actually see a discrepancy in that weird belief.

We also don’t accept what Tertullian says:” Chap. XIX. – Christ, as to His Divine Nature, as the Word of God, Became Flesh, Not by Carnal Conception, nor by the Will of the Flesh and of Man, but by the Will of God. Christ’s Divine Nature, of Its Own Accord, Descended into the Virgin’s Womb.“

We actually see this as a blasphemy, how can God descend into a woman’s womb? So the embryo will be God, and then the baby is God, who cries, suckles,….etc. How can these acts come from God Almighty? Look also here Tertullian is talking about the divine nature, which means that all this was by the divine nature, and no comment.

1Ki 8:27 But will God in very deed dwell on the earth? behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain thee; how much less this house that I have builded!

88. And they say, `The Gracious God has taken unto Himself a son.’ 89. Assuredly, you have indeed uttered a most hideous thing. 90. The heavens might well-nigh burst thereat, and the earth cleave asunder, and the mountains fall down in pieces. 91. Because they ascribe a son to the Gracious God. 92. It becomes not the Gracious God that HE should take unto Himself a son. 93. There is none in the heavens and the earth but he shall come to the Gracious God as a bondman. (Holy Quran 19)

to be continued

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Applying Spiritual Laws -winning Each Day Devotional / Wahala For Warri As King Turn Born Again / Is Tribalism A Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.