Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,198 members, 7,957,461 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:01 PM

Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) (2351 Views)

Where Was God Coming From Before HE Started Creation? / Where Was God During The Rwandan Genocide ? / Murder in the name of God - The slaying of Pope John Paul 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Gombs(m): 11:43am On Aug 23, 2013
Bidam: Great post Op.Sometimes i used to wonder whether God really created evil when i read these scriptures below:

(Isaiah 45:7, KJV) - "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."
(Amos 3:6) - "Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?"

Can you give us more insight as regard to these?

Kenneth Hagin answered this a long tima ago. Lemme send you d PDF.

Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:46am On Aug 23, 2013
GOMBS explain this. Dont run away from it

Bidam: Great post Op.Sometimes i used to wonder whether God really created evil when i read these scriptures below:

(Isaiah 45:7, KJV) - "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."
(Amos 3:6) - "Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?"

Can you give us more insight as regard to these?
Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:48am On Aug 23, 2013
Gombs:

So you opened a thread without understanding the topic yourself? You know running to one twister to help you. I see the reason you are a christian. Next thread abeg
Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Gombs(m): 11:50am On Aug 23, 2013
Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:02pm On Aug 23, 2013
Gombs:

www.google.com/search?client=ms-opera-mini&channel=new&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Biblical+answers+to+tough+questions+from+the+archives+of+Kenneth+E+Hagin+isaiah+45v7

Its PDF
Have fun understanding it

Thank goodness, you have expose your empty head. I challenged you to explain some verse and you are here telling me a once called fool to read one useless pdf? You are foolish fool fooling your foolishness. #christian tag Explain the verses I listed there...it explain how your God caused disease, poverty and calamity. If you cant, just shut up and continue with your foolishness.
Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Nobody: 12:07pm On Aug 23, 2013
Gombs:

Ok..thanks i appreciate.
Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Nobody: 1:31pm On Aug 23, 2013
@op

<<
1. In the beginning God created the heaven and the
earth.

There was a heaven and an Earth. God now casted down from heaven,the Devil and his cohorts down to the Earth after their rebellion/disobedience/evil. Now after the devil was casted down with his cohorts, look what they did to the Earth God (who creates good) created.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and
darkness was upon the face of the deep.
And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

The Earth was a chaotic mass, nothing was working, it was rendered Void, by who?? The devil. The earth has those dents because of the devil. But God, came along and started fixing things. Till he fixed it all, and rested. But the Devil still has the powers God allocated him as an Arch Angel, God never collected them because Romans 11v29 English Standard Version
Says

For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.
>>

I must say that you did a very nice work above. That shows the love of God in you. However, i think there is a misunderstanding here, which no doubt affected you concusions.

Please note that satan was cast down on earth thousands of years AFTER the creation by God. Rev. 1:1; 12: 7, 10.

Meaning that the Devil was operating from heaven prior to his ousting even some years after the first century CE.

It was after God created everything on the sixth day that He said that His creations were very good NOT after creating the heaven and earth alone.

When God created the heaven and earth, it was formless and darkness filled everywhere. So when He decides to beautify it with the intention to create animals and humans, He started to create day, night, trees, animals etc. After which He pronounced them as being very good.

So it was not the devil that made it formless or without light. That was the way God left the planet earth from the beginning after creating it. After which He chose to beautify it.

Of course, some other planets also exist without being as well built and beautified like the earth is.

<<In other words when God gives something to you, he never takes it back, no matter how evil you turn afterwards. So, the devil still having those powers, continues to dent the Earth with it, causing more harm to the Earth (suffering, pain, disease, etc). God will not stop him( not that he can't), because legally, the devil rules the earth,because God casted him down here. No wonder Jesus said "you are in the world, but not of this World". So, he averts devils plans of destruction through his Sons on Earth (Christians). That's a legal way, because man lives here on Earth, and God now decided to Live in man(those who believes in Jesus) through the HolySpirit. >>

Ya, the devil initiated a process that left us in our present delima. However, this started when he deceived Adam and Eve. Their being chased out from that builtiful paradise, the land being cursed on Adam's behalf, and the perfection being lost, marked the genesis of our journey towards evil and bad attitudes.

So imperfection, unforseen occurrence and devil's rulership, brot about what we see today. Eccl. 4: 1-3.

<<He then stops the antics of the devil through believers
In Jesus Christ ONLY, and he can only do that When we pray. Note that God WILL DO NOTHING on Earth if we don't pray, it doesn't matter how ravaged the Earth gets through the works of Satan, he will not interfere. That's why Jesus said in Luke 18v1 "men ought to always pray, and not faith". He went on and on saying we should ASK not Complain-Ask(ask means make a request he did not say complain to, for God knows your heart, he's seen dat concern of urs, he just needs you to ASK of him anything) the Father ANYTHING in my name, and He will do it y you", mark 11 v22 he said, "HAVE FAITH IN GOD".

You may ask, Must we Pray? Doesn't he see the disasters and Pain? Shey he said He'd not Sleep nor Slumber, shey he said, shey he said,but he said...etc

In Ezekiel 36 God promised a lot for His people, he said he would enrich them, restore them, he will put his spirit in them and cause them to walk in his statutes, that he'd dwell in the land, he will save them from disasters, buy yet after saying all these goodies to them, see what he said in verse 37
Ezekiel 36v37 AMP

37 Thus says the Lord God: For this also I will let the house of Israel inquire of Me to do it for them; ...

He still wanted them to Pray(ASK of him, prayer is asking not complaining). We must pray (ask) because he'd only do for us what we ask, he won't do for us what we didn't ask for, no matter how long you suffer in for example poverty, he is not gonna change dat for you, except you ask for a change. He's moved by faith, not tears, not complains, not rebellion.

So, those disasters happen because those affected don't pray (ask) God for aversion or change in that situation. He doesn't need a whole Nation to pray, he just need one man with and earnest prayer in FAITH. James 5v16-17. Then imagine what a hundred would do, or thousands or millions would do in earnest prayer

You see why Jesus said we should GO and tell ALL Creature (not just man), the good news (gospel)? Because if the nation knew this, we'd be better off.

If they knew that instead of complaining of bad governments and no jobs, and corruption of government officials, if they quit complaining about bad economy and disasters, and diseases and so on, if the quit complaining and instead get praying, things would be long better?>>

No matter your prayer, evil will still be here. The only hope is God's kingdom by Christ Jesus. So that should be the subject of our prayers. Matt. 6:9, 10. Things will continue to move bad to worse. Thats the prophecy that MUST occur. It will be critical, 2tim 3:1-5.

True Christians will soon face the great tribulation. Well God will continue to assist us, that is the more reason why we should continually ask for the kingdom to come. Since satan rules the world, true christians wont find it funny.

However, Satan and his cohorts will soon receive the hit from God and many (not all) righteous humans will again inhabit the earth. Psalms 37: 9, 10, 11, 29.

<<Israelites stayed 40yrs in d wilderness not for disobedience, not for lying or any such, but for COMPLAINING. God marveled at their unbelief, even after he split a sea in front of them,they still complained after, brought quails to d wilderness, brought water out of a rock, they still complained after etc they still complained..twas supposed to be a 40day journey. But rather than for them to pray about a difficult situation, they Complained.>>

Complaint and disobedience were among the problems.

But note that prayers can help us, but prayers about God's kingdom is the wisest choice because, with or without prayer, the prophecy must come true. It the result of bible prophecy that we see all these happening. But God has a plan.

<<In Conclusion, God wants us well, He will only have one you (no you ever existed before you or will after you), He is always trying to get close to us, He wants us to be partakers of divinity, to leave like gods which we are (psalms 82v6, Exodus 7v1), this is why Christianity is NOT a religion. God did not initiate Evil and Negativity.>>

He did not initiate evil, ya. Humans can be called gods, but this term often refers to persons with a higher position. Because the term probably means 'mighty one'. At least it does not allow for we using it for any human.

Note: God doesnt dwell in men, He stays in heaven, but with His spirit, He can have an influence in us.
Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Gombs(m): 2:00pm On Aug 23, 2013
JMAN05: @op

<<
1. In the beginning God created the heaven and the
earth.

There was a heaven and an Earth. God now casted down from heaven,the Devil and his cohorts down to the Earth after their rebellion/disobedience/evil. Now after the devil was casted down with his cohorts, look what they did to the Earth God (who creates good) created.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and
darkness was upon the face of the deep.
And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

The Earth was a chaotic mass, nothing was working, it was rendered Void, by who?? The devil. The earth has those dents because of the devil. But God, came along and started fixing things. Till he fixed it all, and rested. But the Devil still has the powers God allocated him as an Arch Angel, God never collected them because Romans 11v29 English Standard Version
Says

For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.
>>

I must say that you did a very nice work above. That shows the love of God in you. However, i think there is a misunderstanding here, which no doubt affected you concusions.

Please note that satan was cast down on earth thousands of years AFTER the creation by God. Rev. 1:1; 12: 7, 10.

Meaning that the Devil was operating from heaven prior to his ousting even some years after the first century CE.

It was after God created everything on the sixth day that He said that His creations were very good NOT after creating the heaven and earth alone.

When God created the heaven and earth, it was formless and darkness filled everywhere. So when He decides to beautify it with the intention to create animals and humans, He started to create day, night, trees, animals etc. After which He pronounced them as being very good.

So it was not the devil that made it formless or without light. That was the way God left the planet earth from the beginning after creating it. After which He chose to beautify it.

Of course, some other planets also exist without being as well built and beautified like the earth is.

<<In other words when God gives something to you, he never takes it back, no matter how evil you turn afterwards. So, the devil still having those powers, continues to dent the Earth with it, causing more harm to the Earth (suffering, pain, disease, etc). God will not stop him( not that he can't), because legally, the devil rules the earth,because God casted him down here. No wonder Jesus said "you are in the world, but not of this World". So, he averts devils plans of destruction through his Sons on Earth (Christians). That's a legal way, because man lives here on Earth, and God now decided to Live in man(those who believes in Jesus) through the HolySpirit. >>

Ya, the devil initiated a process that left us in our present delima. However, this started when he deceived Adam and Eve. Their being chased out from that builtiful paradise, the land being cursed on Adam's behalf, and the perfection being lost, marked the genesis of our journey towards evil and bad attitudes.

So imperfection, unforseen occurrence and devil's rulership, brot about what we see today. Eccl. 4: 1-3.

<<He then stops the antics of the devil through believers
In Jesus Christ ONLY, and he can only do that When we pray. Note that God WILL DO NOTHING on Earth if we don't pray, it doesn't matter how ravaged the Earth gets through the works of Satan, he will not interfere. That's why Jesus said in Luke 18v1 "men ought to always pray, and not faith". He went on and on saying we should ASK not Complain-Ask(ask means make a request he did not say complain to, for God knows your heart, he's seen dat concern of urs, he just needs you to ASK of him anything) the Father ANYTHING in my name, and He will do it y you", mark 11 v22 he said, "HAVE FAITH IN GOD".

You may ask, Must we Pray? Doesn't he see the disasters and Pain? Shey he said He'd not Sleep nor Slumber, shey he said, shey he said,but he said...etc

In Ezekiel 36 God promised a lot for His people, he said he would enrich them, restore them, he will put his spirit in them and cause them to walk in his statutes, that he'd dwell in the land, he will save them from disasters, buy yet after saying all these goodies to them, see what he said in verse 37
Ezekiel 36v37 AMP

37 Thus says the Lord God: For this also I will let the house of Israel inquire of Me to do it for them; ...

He still wanted them to Pray(ASK of him, prayer is asking not complaining). We must pray (ask) because he'd only do for us what we ask, he won't do for us what we didn't ask for, no matter how long you suffer in for example poverty, he is not gonna change dat for you, except you ask for a change. He's moved by faith, not tears, not complains, not rebellion.

So, those disasters happen because those affected don't pray (ask) God for aversion or change in that situation. He doesn't need a whole Nation to pray, he just need one man with and earnest prayer in FAITH. James 5v16-17. Then imagine what a hundred would do, or thousands or millions would do in earnest prayer

You see why Jesus said we should GO and tell ALL Creature (not just man), the good news (gospel)? Because if the nation knew this, we'd be better off.

If they knew that instead of complaining of bad governments and no jobs, and corruption of government officials, if they quit complaining about bad economy and disasters, and diseases and so on, if the quit complaining and instead get praying, things would be long better?>>

No matter your prayer, evil will still be here. The only hope is God's kingdom by Christ Jesus. So that should be the subject of our prayers. Matt. 6:9, 10. Things will continue to move bad to worse. Thats the prophecy that MUST occur. It will be critical, 2tim 3:1-5.

True Christians will soon face the great tribulation. Well God will continue to assist us, that is the more reason why we should continually ask for the kingdom to come. Since satan rules the world, true christians wont find it funny.

However, Satan and his cohorts will soon receive the hit from God and many (not all) righteous humans will again inhabit the earth. Psalms 37: 9, 10, 11, 29.

<<Israelites stayed 40yrs in d wilderness not for disobedience, not for lying or any such, but for COMPLAINING. God marveled at their unbelief, even after he split a sea in front of them,they still complained after, brought quails to d wilderness, brought water out of a rock, they still complained after etc they still complained..twas supposed to be a 40day journey. But rather than for them to pray about a difficult situation, they Complained.>>

Complaint and disobedience were among the problems.

But note that prayers can help us, but prayers about God's kingdom is the wisest choice because, with or without prayer, the prophecy must come true. It the result of bible prophecy that we see all these happening. But God has a plan.

<<In Conclusion, God wants us well, He will only have one you (no you ever existed before you or will after you), He is always trying to get close to us, He wants us to be partakers of divinity, to leave like gods which we are (psalms 82v6, Exodus 7v1), this is why Christianity is NOT a religion. God did not initiate Evil and Negativity.>>

He did not initiate evil, ya. Humans can be called gods, but this term often refers to persons with a higher position. Because the term probably means 'mighty one'. At least it does not allow for we using it for any human.

Note: God doesnt dwell in men, He stays in heaven, but with His spirit, He can have an influence in us.

Do you believe in the trinity? If Yes, then God, Holyspirit and Jesus are one. Hence I can boldly say I'm a God-carrying vessel.

We are gods cos God designed us so, putting us higher than Angels. We shouldn't be ordinary
Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Nobody: 9:37am On Aug 26, 2013
Gombs:

Do you believe in the trinity? If Yes, then God, Holyspirit and Jesus are one. Hence I can boldly say I'm a God-carrying vessel.

We are gods cos God designed us so, putting us higher than Angels. We shouldn't be ordinary

the bible not teach the trinity, so you are not a God carrying vessel.
Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Gombs(m): 1:33pm On Aug 26, 2013
JMAN05:

the bible not teach the trinity, so you are not a God carrying vessel.

Oh dear! ...But the bible did teach trinity

1 John 5:7

King James Version of 1 John 5:7.

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

John 1 makes us know that Jesus is the Word made flesh.
Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Nobody: 7:55pm On Aug 26, 2013
Gombs:

Oh dear! ...But the bible did teach trinity

1 John 5:7

King James Version of 1 John 5:7.

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

John 1 makes us know that Jesus is the Word made flesh.

hmmmm. dear I must appreciate your quote of 1john 5:7, but do you know that this verse is spurious? please read this same verse in NIV or REVISE STANDARD VERSION, you wont find it.

Well Jesus can be called a God(or god), however he is not the same as God almighty. john1:1, didnt prove that the two Gods mentioned there are the same. It will be pleasure to discuss it if you like.
Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Gombs(m): 8:40pm On Aug 26, 2013
JMAN05:

hmmmm. dear I must appreciate your quote of 1john 5:7, but do you know that this verse is spurious? please read this same verse in NIV or REVISE STANDARD VERSION, you wont find it.

Well Jesus can be called a God(or god), however he is not the same as God almighty. john1:1, didnt prove that the two Gods mentioned there are the same. It will be pleasure to discuss it if you like.

Try read it from the Greek rendering (use google). KJV was the first translated bible BTW, not that I'm downplaying other versions.

And yes I'd love to discuss John 1 with you. Jesus is exactly same with God.

Hebrews 1v3
New International Version

The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact
representation of his being
, sustaining all things by his
powerful word. After he had provided purification for
sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in
heaven.

John 1:2-3
NIV (with addition)
2 He was with God in the beginning (as the spoken Word of God). 3 Through him ALL things were made; without him NOTHING was made that has been made

And many more examples.
Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by scaler345: 10:05pm On Aug 26, 2013
@OP,
many people here have pointed out some salient points outta bible showing that xtian God is evil, but you kept quoting versed that said he's good.

What about those places he affirmed that he's evil?
What about those evils he committed?
What about killings of innocent people - women, girls, babies (even babies that are not yet weaned) etc

I don't want to make this too long, I'll just list few evils among many in the bible

Gen 3:16
God now commands that all women must have health hazardous labors for Eve ate the fruit.
In no way shape or form is it just that I must pay for the sins of my ancestors.

Gen 4:3-5
God caused sibling rivalry by favoring Abel over Cain, with absolutely no attempt at justification. This act of favoritism led to Abel’s death.

Genesis 7:23
He killed, intentionally, every man, woman, and child on the planet save eight of them. You can't tell me that billions of people were evil to a degree that will require total annihilation.

Genesis 19:23-25
God burns down a whole city (women and children included) simply because they were supposedly homosexual. Can a whole city be evil?

Gen 38:7
Er, Judah’s firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the Lord; and that the Lord slew him. How was Er wicked? The Bible doesn’t give us this bit of information, only that Er was wicked in the sight of the Lord.

Genesis 38:10
God murders Onan for refusing to commit incest with his sister in law. This is funny and horrible!
A father forced his son (Onan) to have sex with his brother's wife (God didn't see anything wrong with that), but Onan realized that it won't be good to have a child by his own brother's wife so he tried withdrawal method, what did God did? He slew him - GREAT!!!

Exodus 12:29
God repeatedly tells Moses exactly what calamity he will next visit upon the Egyptians if the Pharaoh does not allow the Israelites to be set free from slavery. Then he tells Moses (also repeatedly) that he will harden Pharaoh’s heart, so that he will refuse to allow the Israelites to go, thus bringing a calamity upon his own people, as well as showing him the awesome power of the Israelites’ Lord. This occurs over and over, bringing calamity upon calamity upon the Egyptian people.
What is troubling about this verse is that when god “hardens the pharaoh’s heart” he is interfering with the Pharaoh’s free will and ultimately bringing punishment on the Egyptians for something they are not responsible for. As a final punishment god decides to kill all the first born of Egypt. The lord reduced himself to murdering innocent kids when he could have simply freed the Israelites himself with his “omnipotent” power.

Exodus 20:5 & 34:7
God punishes children for the sins of their fathers, unto the third and fourth generations. Punishing a child for the sins of their ancestors is not very just.

Exodus 21:2-6
God endorses slavery. He even set up laws as to how slavery was to be carried out, and goes as far as Okaying beating them.

Exodus 21:7
God sanctioned the selling of ones daughter. How can any being tell another to literally sell their child into slavery? Disgusting!

Exodus 22:18
God orders the death of witches, sorceresses and anyone who practices magic. Sadly enough, this verse was justification for the Inquisition.

Exodus 32:27
God ordered to be killed, 3,000 Israelites for no greater crime than worshipping a golden calf. I don’t know about you but death is a pretty harsh fucking punishment.

Leviticus 20:9-10
God commands death for cursing out ones parents and death for adultery. Gee, with these types of laws the population should be almost nil by now.

Leviticus 20:13
Once again god is a homophobe, or at the very least, a bigot.

Leviticus 21:16-23
Handicapped people must not approach the altar.

Leviticus 26:29
“And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat.”
Sometimes I pity those Jews - their whole life was a misery. it was also a pity that such wicked god chose them. F**king unlucky tribe.

Leviticus 27:28-29
God ordered and allowed human sacrifices.

Numbers 16:27
God buries alive Korah and his family - their wives, sons and their little children ... gosh, that was pretty mean!

Numbers 16:35
God killed 250 Levite princes who disagreed with Moses’ leadership. He was so bloodthirsty that he wanted to slay more until he was talked out of it. Later he put a plague upon 14,700 Jews who thought there was something wrong in killing 250 princes.

Numbers 21:1-3
God utterly destroyed the Canaanites at Hormah as a favor to the Jews.

Numbers 21:27-35
God abetted Moses in utterly destroying the Amorites at Heshbon - “…the men, the women, and the little ones.”

Numbers 31:17-18
God commands Moses to kill all the Medianite people including children and women. To top it off he commands that the virgins be saved for later raping by Moses’ soldiers.

Deuteronomy 3:3-7
God ordered Moses’ army to “utterly destroy” 60 cities, killing all the women and children within!

Deuteronomy 7:12
God ordered the Israelites to kill all the people of seven nations. He even adds, “show no mercy unto them”.

Deuteronomy 20:16
God orders that we kill everything that breathes in the cities that he gives us for an inheritance

Deuteronomy 23:2
A bastard can’t attend church “even to his tenth generation.” As if denying an innocent child rights to worship isn’t cruel.

All in all, it seems to me that this god derives some high, some adrenaline from all those bloodshed and fear.
Even we as human, I have never seen or heard where a court of law jailed or killed a son/daughter or wife for the sin of a father/husband.

The sad part is that this list is just a tip of an iceblock.
Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Nobody: 9:24am On Aug 27, 2013
scaler345: @OP,
many people here have pointed out some salient points outta bible showing that xtian God is evil, but you kept quoting versed that said he's good.

What about those places he affirmed that he's evil?
What about those evils he committed?
What about killings of innocent people - women, girls, babies (even babies that are not yet weaned) etc

I don't want to make this too long, I'll just list few evils among many in the bible

Gen 3:16
God now commands that all women must have health hazardous labors for Eve ate the fruit.
In no way shape or form is it just that I must pay for the sins of my ancestors.

Gen 4:3-5
God caused sibling rivalry by favoring Abel over Cain, with absolutely no attempt at justification. This act of favoritism led to Abel’s death.

Genesis 7:23
He killed, intentionally, every man, woman, and child on the planet save eight of them. You can't tell me that billions of people were evil to a degree that will require total annihilation.

Genesis 19:23-25
God burns down a whole city (women and children included) simply because they were supposedly homosexual. Can a whole city be evil?

Gen 38:7
Er, Judah’s firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the Lord; and that the Lord slew him. How was Er wicked? The Bible doesn’t give us this bit of information, only that Er was wicked in the sight of the Lord.

Genesis 38:10
God murders Onan for refusing to commit incest with his sister in law. This is funny and horrible!
A father forced his son (Onan) to have sex with his brother's wife (God didn't see anything wrong with that), but Onan realized that it won't be good to have a child by his own brother's wife so he tried withdrawal method, what did God did? He slew him - GREAT!!!

Exodus 12:29
God repeatedly tells Moses exactly what calamity he will next visit upon the Egyptians if the Pharaoh does not allow the Israelites to be set free from slavery. Then he tells Moses (also repeatedly) that he will harden Pharaoh’s heart, so that he will refuse to allow the Israelites to go, thus bringing a calamity upon his own people, as well as showing him the awesome power of the Israelites’ Lord. This occurs over and over, bringing calamity upon calamity upon the Egyptian people.
What is troubling about this verse is that when god “hardens the pharaoh’s heart” he is interfering with the Pharaoh’s free will and ultimately bringing punishment on the Egyptians for something they are not responsible for. As a final punishment god decides to kill all the first born of Egypt. The lord reduced himself to murdering innocent kids when he could have simply freed the Israelites himself with his “omnipotent” power.

Exodus 20:5 & 34:7
God punishes children for the sins of their fathers, unto the third and fourth generations. Punishing a child for the sins of their ancestors is not very just.

Exodus 21:2-6
God endorses slavery. He even set up laws as to how slavery was to be carried out, and goes as far as Okaying beating them.

Exodus 21:7
God sanctioned the selling of ones daughter. How can any being tell another to literally sell their child into slavery? Disgusting!

Exodus 22:18
God orders the death of witches, sorceresses and anyone who practices magic. Sadly enough, this verse was justification for the Inquisition.

Exodus 32:27
God ordered to be killed, 3,000 Israelites for no greater crime than worshipping a golden calf. I don’t know about you but death is a pretty harsh fucking punishment.

Leviticus 20:9-10
God commands death for cursing out ones parents and death for adultery. Gee, with these types of laws the population should be almost nil by now.

Leviticus 20:13
Once again god is a homophobe, or at the very least, a bigot.

Leviticus 21:16-23
Handicapped people must not approach the altar.

Leviticus 26:29
“And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat.”
Sometimes I pity those Jews - their whole life was a misery. it was also a pity that such wicked god chose them. F**king unlucky tribe.

Leviticus 27:28-29
God ordered and allowed human sacrifices.

Numbers 16:27
God buries alive Korah and his family - their wives, sons and their little children ... gosh, that was pretty mean!

Numbers 16:35
God killed 250 Levite princes who disagreed with Moses’ leadership. He was so bloodthirsty that he wanted to slay more until he was talked out of it. Later he put a plague upon 14,700 Jews who thought there was something wrong in killing 250 princes.

Numbers 21:1-3
God utterly destroyed the Canaanites at Hormah as a favor to the Jews.

Numbers 21:27-35
God abetted Moses in utterly destroying the Amorites at Heshbon - “…the men, the women, and the little ones.”

Numbers 31:17-18
God commands Moses to kill all the Medianite people including children and women. To top it off he commands that the virgins be saved for later raping by Moses’ soldiers.

Deuteronomy 3:3-7
God ordered Moses’ army to “utterly destroy” 60 cities, killing all the women and children within!

Deuteronomy 7:12
God ordered the Israelites to kill all the people of seven nations. He even adds, “show no mercy unto them”.

Deuteronomy 20:16
God orders that we kill everything that breathes in the cities that he gives us for an inheritance

Deuteronomy 23:2
A bastard can’t attend church “even to his tenth generation.” As if denying an innocent child rights to worship isn’t cruel.

All in all, it seems to me that this god derives some high, some adrenaline from all those bloodshed and fear.
Even we as human, I have never seen or heard where a court of law jailed or killed a son/daughter or wife for the sin of a father/husband.

The sad part is that this list is just a tip of an iceblock.

my friend thank you for your post, however, God is not unjust neither is He evil. I have a research discussion now with some people, if not I would have giving answer to this ur comment.
Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Gombs(m): 10:04am On Aug 27, 2013
Y did the mods hide my post?

I didn't break any rules na? I didn't even insult anybody. Or tis d fact that my post was bare truth that scaler345 couldn't fathom?

My dear Mods, pls y did you hide my post?

2 Likes

Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Nobody: 12:44pm On Aug 27, 2013
[quote author=Gombs]

Try read it from the Greek rendering (use google). KJV was the first translated bible BTW, not that I'm downplaying other versions.

I dont understand what you mean by BTW. however, i must say that kjv is not the first translated bible in english. it is not even the seventh. before kjv, Martin luther has translated his own. their were also, Geneva bible, bishop bible, Tyndale bible, translation by Wycliff. kjv was not even translated from the original, but it was meant to make the already existing versions better. much of what was written there was copied from other versions eg from Tyndale's.

secondly, the Source of the translation at that time was the TESTUS RECEPTUS by Erasmus.

now this Erasmus text was not based on the OLDEST AND TRUSTED MANUSCRIPTS eg Vatican 1209 and Sinaiticus, all of the 4th century.

when the oldest manuscripts were discovered, it was realised that 1john5:7 was a spurious verse. that is why modern translations that use the Wescott and Hott as a source of translation do not have this verse cos it was not found on the Vaticanus and Sinaiticus.

Also note that the first translation by Erasmus do not contain this verse, it only appeared there on a later review.

And yes I'd love to discuss John 1 with you. Jesus is exactly same with God.

Hebrews 1v3
New International Version

The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact
representation of his being
, sustaining all things by his
powerful word. After he had provided purification for
sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in
heaven.

True, he is the exact representation of His being. this means that He not only has a nature of God (spirit nature) but that he perfectly reflect the qualities of the almighty God. However, did you notice that verse 2 of that says God created the world THROUGH him? If I build a car through you, can one say logically that I am you?

secondly, take a second look at that verse 3, did you notice that he sat in the right hand of God almighty? will it not be wrong to say he is the same or part of the one he sat at His right hand?

John 1:2-3
NIV (with addition)
2 He was with God in the beginning (as the spoken Word of God). [b] 3 Through him ALL things were made; without him NOTHING was made that has been made

Did you notice that that verse 2 says "he was WITH God"?

let's take it this way; can you be me if you are WITH me?

secondly, verse 1 also made the same statement, "WITH God".

thirdly, the final "God" mentioned at the end of verse one does not contain the definite article, "THE". in greek, this makes the last God in verse 1 different from the other God that has "THE" (hotheos in greek) before it.

also remember that God created all things THROUGH him. hebrews above. ie after Jesus was created Col. 1:15.

And many more examples.

When we discuss these examples, you will see that there is not contradiction with what I am saying.
Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Gombs(m): 1:21pm On Aug 27, 2013
^^

Read about the KJV here

www.en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Version

BTW means by the way

The world was created through Jesus because God created everything through WORDS, Jesus was God's Words made flesh. John 1

He is the Exact of his BEIGN...

Definition of EXACT : exhibiting or marked by strict , particular, and complete accordance with fact or a standard.

God is a Spirit, Jesus being EXACT as his being means He was Complete as God is.

Okay, can you explain this if you thing Jesus and God aint same

Colossian 2v9-10

9 For in Christ ALL the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 10 and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority.

Two questions sir,
1. What deity was Paul talkin of?

2. I thought that God was ALL powerful ie he Has Power over EVERY (ALL) things? But Paul just told us Jesus is the Head of EVERY (ALL) Power and authority.
Does that not suggest Exactness?

1 Like

Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Nobody: 11:00pm On Aug 27, 2013
Read about the KJV here

www.en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Version

BTW means by the way

What is your point? That kjv is the first bible or what?

The world was created through Jesus because God created everything through WORDS, Jesus was God's Words made flesh. John 1

Yes he is God's word, but I understand that to mean that he was God's spokesperson.

Now assuming you interpretation was right, how then can just a word be by God's right hand? How then was the word created, were there a time God never spoke? 1col. 1:15.

He is the Exact of his BEIGN...

Definition of EXACT : exhibiting or marked by strict , particular, and complete accordance with fact or a standard.

God is a Spirit, Jesus being EXACT as his being means He was Complete as God is.

Assuming your earlier statement was correct, can we say that your word is 'complete as you are', or just part of you?

It says exact REPRESENTATION. Remember the "exact" you are defining is qualifying "representation" NOT "being". You can never be a representation of yourself, your are yourself.

Of course you cant be you and at the same time be at your right hand. How do you see that?

Okay, can you explain this if you thing Jesus and God aint same

Colossian 2v9-10

9 For in Christ ALL the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 10 and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. [b] He is the head over every power and authority.

Col. 1:9 has to be understood from the context. It is then that we will understand the term "fullness". Col. 1:15 indicates that Jesus was created. Col. 1:19, God saw good for a certain fullness to dwell in him. In chapter 2, the apostle was stressing the efforts he has put forward to ensure that the colosians and other brothers in Laodocea possess the accurate knowledge of God, the knowledge of which Christ possess, 2:1-3.

Verse 3 stressed more on the point that this wisdom is concealed in Christ. He is the one who has the key to unlocking the knowledge about God to humans cos he POSSESSES THE DIVINE QUALITY.

However, around them (those he was writing to) were people who could subvert their faith through arguements contrary to the TRUE knowledge of God which Christ possesses, 2:6-7.

In verse 8, he warned them to BEWARE of such individuals who possess these FALSE knowledge. In verse 9 he reinterated that it was in Christ NOT the philosophers that the TRUE knowledge dwells. Does the possession of this fullness make him God almighty? No cos Col. 3:1 shows that he is in the right hand of God. The nomative form from which theotetos is derived means "divinity, divine nature." Of course it wont be logical to say that since he is truly divine, or of divine nature that he is now equal to God.

Two questions sir,
1. What deity was Paul talkin of?

The greek word means divine or divine nature.

2. I thought that God was ALL powerful ie he Has Power over EVERY (ALL) things? But Paul just told us Jesus is the Head of EVERY (ALL) Power and authority.
Does that not suggest Exactness?

He never said all power and authority, but that he possesses a divine nature which made it possible for him to be in the right position to give true knowledge about God to humans as against the philosophers.

Secondly all fullness dwells in Christ cos it pleases God. 1:19.
Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Gombs(m): 5:58am On Aug 28, 2013
^^
I laff

You said Jesus was a spokesperson? Can you separate a man from his words? Can you separate God from his words?
Jesus never existed as a person in heaven until he resurrected and took off to heaven. He was simply God's spoken word. How then did you conclude he was a spokesperson?
John said AND THE WORD was made flesh, you saying the spokesman was made flesh? God and his words are same, his word was it him from the beginning

Jesus is seated at God right hand, it means he is on the seat OF POWER.

What do you mean by 1Col 1v15? I'd assume you mean col 1v15
?

Col 1v15-20 MSG

15-18 We look at this Son and see the God who cannot
be seen. We look at this Son and see God’s original
purpose in everything created. For everything,
absolutely everything, above and below, visible and
invisible, rank after rank after rank of angels—
everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him.
He was there before any of it came into existence and
holds it all together right up to this moment. And when it comes to the church, he organizes and holds it together, like a head does a body.
18-20 He was supreme in the beginning and—leading the resurrection parade—he is supreme in the end. From beginning to end he’s there, towering far above
everything, everyone. So spacious is he, so roomy, that
everything of God finds its proper place in him without
crowding. Not only that, but all the broken and
dislocated pieces of the universe—people and things,
animals and atoms—get properly fixed and fit together
in vibrant harmonies, all because of his death, his blood
that poured down from the cross.

After reading the above you conclude he's a SPOKESMAN for God? Is God mute? Or too busy to speak?

And you got all your quotations wrong eg Col 1 v 15 and Col 1v 19 aint saying what you trying to say. How would you conclude Jesus was created? How? Except you mean God creted his Words right? But your words already resides in you before you say it? No?

God knows man's heart.The Bible says Jesus knew what was in man’s heart.
The Bible says only God can forgive sin. Well we know
Jesus forgave sin. The Bible tells us we’re to worship
God only. Jesus was to be worshipped and He received
worship, especially after His Resurrection.
So the characteristics that God has are described within the Bible, which Jesus contained. He is God the Son. God the Father so loved the world He sent God the Son, who died on our behalf and that’s portrayed in the Storacle of Abraham taking his son Isaac up the
mountain.

You sound Jehova Witness, pls open a thread let's discuss it further. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Nobody: 9:30pm On Aug 28, 2013

I laff

You said Jesus was a spokesperson? Can you separate a man from his words? Can you separate God from his words?
Jesus never existed as a person in heaven until he resurrected and took off to heaven. He was simply God's spoken word. How then did you conclude he was a spokesperson?
John said AND THE WORD was made flesh, you saying the spokesman was made flesh? God and his words are same, his word was it him from the beginning

You cannot separate a man from his word. Thats true, but for the fact that Jesus sat at the right hand of God, does it not constitute separation? Will it not be reasonable then to conclude that Jesus was a personality who spoke for God, instead of viewing him as the word in a literal sense? What do you think? Well, that doesnt mean that God cannot speak.

Secondly, Jesus as a spirit person in the heaven can be made flesh. Angels in the past were able to materialise human flesh.

Now if we are to say that Jesus was just a literal word of God, the question is, who spoke from heaven during Jesus' baptism?

I also do not think he was just a word during his prehuman existence. Why? Let's turn to Dan. 7:13, 14.

13 “I kept on beholding in the visions
of the night, and, see there! with the
clouds + of the heavens someone like a
SON OF MAN + happened to be coming;
and to the Ancient of Days + he gained
access, and they brought him up close
even before that One. + 14 And to him
there were given rulership+ and dignity +
and kingdom, * + that the peoples,
national groups and languages should all
serve even him. + His rulership is an
indefinitely lasting rulership that will not
pass away, and his kingdom one that will
not be brought to ruin. "

I understand that SON OF MAN to be Jesus cos he is the only one who was giving this rulership, kingship etc. What do you think?

You said that he was WITH God in the begining. A thing in you cant be WITH you, rather it will be IN you. Not so?

Jesus is seated at God right hand, it means he is on the seat OF POWER.

Can you be separated from your word, so that it is assigned authority, or sits elsewhere instead of in you?

What do you mean by 1Col 1v15? I'd assume you mean col 1v15
?

Col 1v15-20 MSG

15-18 We look at this Son and see the God who cannot
be seen. We look at this Son and see God’s original
purpose in everything created. For everything,
absolutely everything, above and below, visible and
invisible, rank after rank after rank of angels—
everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him.
He was there before any of it came into existence and
holds it all together right up to this moment. And when it comes to the church, he organizes and holds it together, like a head does a body.
18-20 He was supreme in the beginning and—leading the resurrection parade—he is supreme in the end. From beginning to end he’s there, towering far above
everything, everyone. So spacious is he, so roomy, that
everything of God finds its proper place in him without
crowding. Not only that, but all the broken and
dislocated pieces of the universe—people and things,
animals and atoms—get properly fixed and fit together
in vibrant harmonies, all because of his death, his blood
that poured down from the cross.

After reading the above you conclude he's a SPOKESMAN for God? Is God mute? Or too busy to speak?

And you got all your quotations wrong eg Col 1 v 15 and Col 1v 19 aint saying what you trying to say. How would you conclude Jesus was created? How? Except you mean God creted his Words right? But your words already resides in you before you say it? No?

Thanks for your quotation. Now, lets see what verse 15 says. Literally, it says "who is image of the God the invisible, FIRSTBORN of ALL creation". (Wescott and Hott word for word translation)

Now we know that the word firstborn portrays the idea that that one came first, and in the case of ALL other creatures, Jesus was created FIRST. The same greek word appeared in Luke 2:7.

The truth that Jesus was created is emphasized at proverb. It was after his creation that Jesus helped in creating other things.

Proverbs 8:22-30
22 “Jehovah himself produced me * as
the beginning * of his way,+ the earliest
of his achievements of long ago. +
23 From time indefinite I was installed,+
from the start, * from times earlier than
the earth. + 24 When there were no
watery deeps * I was brought forth as
with labor pains, + when there were no
springs heavily charged with water.
25 Before the mountains themselves had
been settled down,+ ahead of the hills, I
was brought forth as with labor pains,
26 when as yet he had not made the
earth + and the open spaces and the first
part of the dust masses of the productive
land. * + 27 When he prepared the
heavens I was there; + when he decreed
a circle upon the face of the watery deep,
+ 28 when he made firm the cloud
masses above, + when he caused the
fountains of the watery deep to be
strong, + 29 when he set for the sea his
decree that the waters themselves should
not pass beyond his order, * + when he
decreed the foundations of the earth, +
30 then I came to be beside him as a
master worker, * + and I came to be the
one he * was specially fond+ of day by
day, I being glad before him all the time."

Note: God is not mute neither did I say He is too busy. No, just like God is not mute or unmovable, but He at times delivers message through the angels.

God knows man's heart.The Bible says Jesus knew what was in man’s heart.
The Bible says only God can forgive sin. Well we know
Jesus forgave sin. The Bible tells us we’re to worship
God only. Jesus was to be worshipped and He received
worship, especially after His Resurrection.
So the characteristics that God has are described within the Bible, which Jesus contained. He is God the Son. God the Father so loved the world He sent God the Son, who died on our behalf and that’s portrayed in the Storacle of Abraham taking his son Isaac up the
mountain.

Jesus has many privileges. Both that of judging and forgiving. The bible shows that God view Jesus as unique, as such God assign him MANY MANY privileges. REMEMBER THAT IT WAS GOD THAT ASSIGNS HIM PRIVILEGES. We read:

John 5:22, 27, 30

22 For the Father judges no one at all,
but he has committed all the judging to
the Son, 27 And he
has given him authority to do judging, +
because Son of man + he is. 30 I cannot do a single
thing of my own initiative; * just as I
hear, I judge; and the judgment that I
render is righteous, + because I seek, not
my own will, but the will + of him that
sent me. "

Did you notice that the son CANNOT do anything of his own initiative? So Jesus can do Many things because God gave him the authority or allowed him. But Jesus states that woeship is for his father alone. Luke 4:8.

Jesus is a servant of God. So he himself calls Him God. So if we see serve or worship assigned to Jesus it means prostrate or that the worship is giving to the almighty through Jesus since Jesus serves Him too.

You sound Jehova Witness, pls open a thread let's discuss it further. Thanks

I dont see anything wrong with discussing it here. But if you need it in another thread, then open one.

Ya am one of them, however, we are discussing the bible, not religion.

Please i would expect you to respond to my comments one after the other as I do yours so that you do not omit any point.
Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Gombs(m): 7:14am On Aug 29, 2013
JMAN05:

You cannot separate a man from his word. Thats true, but for the fact that Jesus sat at the right hand of God, does it not constitute separation? Will it not be reasonable then to conclude that Jesus was a personality who spoke for God, instead of viewing him as the word in a literal sense? What do you think? Well, that doesnt mean that God cannot speak.

Secondly, Jesus as a spirit person in the heaven can be made flesh. Angels in the past were able to materialise human flesh.

Now if we are to say that Jesus was just a literal word of God, the question is, who spoke from heaven during Jesus' baptism?

I also do not think he was just a word during his prehuman existence. Why? Let's turn to Dan. 7:13, 14.

13 “I kept on beholding in the visions
of the night, and, see there! with the
clouds + of the heavens someone like a
SON OF MAN + happened to be coming;
and to the Ancient of Days + he gained
access, and they brought him up close
even before that One. + 14 And to him
there were given rulership+ and dignity +
and kingdom, * + that the peoples,
national groups and languages should all
serve even him. + His rulership is an
indefinitely lasting rulership that will not
pass away, and his kingdom one that will
not be brought to ruin. "

I understand that SON OF MAN to be Jesus cos he is the only one who was giving this rulership, kingship etc. What do you think?

You said that he was WITH God in the begining. A thing in you cant be WITH you, rather it will be IN you. Not so?

Can you be separated from your word, so that it is assigned authority, or sits elsewhere instead of in you?

Thanks for your quotation. Now, lets see what verse 15 says. Literally, it says "who is image of the God the invisible, FIRSTBORN of ALL creation". (Wescott and Hott word for word translation)

Now we know that the word firstborn portrays the idea that that one came first, and in the case of ALL other creatures, Jesus was created FIRST. The same greek word appeared in Luke 2:7.

The truth that Jesus was created is emphasized at proverb. It was after his creation that Jesus helped in creating other things.

Proverbs 8:22-30
22 “Jehovah himself produced me * as
the beginning * of his way,+ the earliest
of his achievements of long ago. +
23 From time indefinite I was installed,+
from the start, * from times earlier than
the earth. + 24 When there were no
watery deeps * I was brought forth as
with labor pains, + when there were no
springs heavily charged with water.
25 Before the mountains themselves had
been settled down,+ ahead of the hills, I
was brought forth as with labor pains,
26 when as yet he had not made the
earth + and the open spaces and the first
part of the dust masses of the productive
land. * + 27 When he prepared the
heavens I was there; + when he decreed
a circle upon the face of the watery deep,
+ 28 when he made firm the cloud
masses above, + when he caused the
fountains of the watery deep to be
strong, + 29 when he set for the sea his
decree that the waters themselves should
not pass beyond his order, * + when he
decreed the foundations of the earth, +
30 then I came to be beside him as a
master worker, * + and I came to be the
one he * was specially fond+ of day by
day, I being glad before him all the time."

Note: God is not mute neither did I say He is too busy. No, just like God is not mute or unmovable, but He at times delivers message through the angels.

Jesus has many privileges. Both that of judging and forgiving. The bible shows that God view Jesus as unique, as such God assign him MANY MANY privileges. REMEMBER THAT IT WAS GOD THAT ASSIGNS HIM PRIVILEGES. We read:

John 5:22, 27, 30

22 For the Father judges no one at all,
but he has committed all the judging to
the Son, 27 And he
has given him authority to do judging, +
because Son of man + he is. 30 I cannot do a single
thing of my own initiative; * just as I
hear, I judge; and the judgment that I
render is righteous, + because I seek, not
my own will, but the will + of him that
sent me. "

Did you notice that the son CANNOT do anything of his own initiative? So Jesus can do Many things because God gave him the authority or allowed him. But Jesus states that woeship is for his father alone. Luke 4:8.

Jesus is a servant of God. So he himself calls Him God. So if we see serve or worship assigned to Jesus it means prostrate or that the worship is giving to the almighty through Jesus since Jesus serves Him too.

I dont see anything wrong with discussing it here. But if you need it in another thread, then open one.

Ya am one of them, however, we are discussing the bible, not religion.

Please i would expect you to respond to my comments one after the other as I do yours so that you do not omit any point.

Pls let's open another thread. I need you to do that. Post your reason for saying Jesus aint same as God...and I'd follow counter wise.

Sorry, my fone was bad yday
Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Nobody: 9:18pm On Aug 29, 2013
Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Gombs(m): 10:00pm On Aug 29, 2013
Re: Was God The Creator Of Evil? (poverty, Sickness, Natural Disasters, Etc) by Banjoramos(m): 11:57am On Apr 18, 2015
It is also an Islamic teaching about God that He is Perfect and so He does not suffer or die, because that is against His nature.

Why Evil?

The second question involved in the above argumSensitive people when faced with the magnitude of evil in the world often ask:

"If there is a Sovereign God filled with love for His creatures, why does He permit evil to exist?"

This question often leads to an argument for the non-existence of God like the following:

1- God exists and is All-powerful, All-knowing and wholly Good.

2- Evil exists.

3- As the above two are logically incompatible, they cannot both be true. And it is obvious that evil exists; so God does not exist.

Islam teaches that God is All-Powerful, but it does not mean that He does things that contradict logic or do not befit His character. For instance, He does not make a circle a square, while keeping it a circle and a square at the same time.
It is also an Islamic teaching about God that He is Perfect and so He does not suffer or die, because that is against His nature.ent is: If He is Good, why does He allow evil?

The answer is that a good God may allow evil if He has a good reason. And we need not know God's reasons for allowing evil, because God says in the Quran that we are given only very little knowledge:

Therefore, it would be enough if we know of a possible reason for God to allow evil to exist. And from the Quran we can understand that God has given humans free will, in order to test them to prove who is better in good deeds.

{Every soul shall have a taste of death: and We test you by evil and by good by way of trial; to Us must ye return.} (21:35)

One consequence of freedom is that humans may choose evil instead of good. If they are forcefully prevented from choosing evil, there won't be any freedom. That is to say, God cannot have free beings whom He forces to choose only good; because that would involve a logical impossibility.

As intelligent beings we know that most things that make life worth living require that we have free will. Moral responsibility, a sense of individual achievement, and satisfactory personal relationships are a few valuable things that cannot exist without freedom of choice.

Why Natural Disasters? But one may ask why natural evils like earthquakes are permitted, where free will plays no part.

The answer is in the cause and effect nexus which is a part of nature. We know that our actions are to a great extent motivated by the expectation of realizing desirable results. This is possible only if our actions actually lead to results. Then our actions become meaningful, and we can hopefully engage in good works.

We know fire is useful because it burns and helps us cook our food; but the same burning quality of fire can burn down homes. That is to say, the very things that are useful for us can inevitably cause damage too. Now can we completely dispense with fire as it has a destructive side?

From the Islamic point of view, evil is like one of the twins, the other being good, as good on earth is ironically linked to evil. Because, good in this world cannot exist without bad, as they are two sides of the same coin, and both are relative concepts.

For instance, to rescue a drowning man is good work; but this is possible only when someone is drowning, which is a bad thing. That is to say, we have a chance to do good work only when there is a need, which in itself is "evil", or at any rate not "good".

We replace that evil, or the absence of good, with good. The imperfections and shortcomings of this world provide ample opportunities for us to make creative efforts for improvement, and this makes our lives and work meaningful.

It appears that the forces of good and evil work in opposite directions; but in the final analysis, their work may be seen as a covert cooperation to fulfill the divine plan. And we know, evil cannot be without God's willing it to exist; and if so, evil has a role to play. 

Necessary for Spiritual Growth? In short, both good and evil are equally necessary for the spiritual development of man. For the spirit to grow, it has to overcome evil and do good.

God says in the Quran what means:

{Nor can goodness and evil be equal. Repel evil with what is better: Then will he between whom and thee was hatred become as it were thy friend and intimate! And no one will be granted such goodness except those who exercise patience and self-restraint, none but persons of the greatest good fortune.} (41:34-5)

That is to say, we must counter evil with good. But to do this, immense patience is necessary. As for believers, good does not spoil them, nor does evil make them desperate.   

We may say that a believer should have two kinds of patience: one kind of patience in the face of moral evil; and another kind of patience in the face of natural evil. Both kinds are required for spiritual development.

An example of moral evil is the insult a believer suffers from an arrogant person. Here the believer controls his anger with patience, and he is successful in the test.

An example of natural evil is a flood in which many people, including children, suffer. Believers in this context do not curse God, because they take it as a test of their faith. So they go out to help the victims in whatever way they can.

If they themselves are victims, they are patient and seek forgiveness from God for their own failings and pray for protection. And in this act, they draw near to Allah and are successful in that test.

Prophet Muhammad once said:

"Wondrous are the believer's affairs. For him there is good in all his affairs, and this is so only for the believer. When something pleasing happens to him, he is grateful, and that is good for him; and when something displeasing happens to him, he is patient, and that is good for him." (Muslim, 2999)

God says in the Quran what means:

{Seek help in patience and prayer; It is indeed hard, except to those who bring a lowly spirit….} (2:45)

Believers have the conviction that all things and events are under the control of God and so they never lose hope. They trust in the eternal benevolence and mercy of God, who says in the Quran: 

{On no soul does God place a burden greater than it can bear} (2:286)

And again:

{And My mercy extends to all things} (7:156)

As God's mercy is all-pervading, it fulfills the smallest need of the lowliest creature in the most unexpected ways.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is The Catholic Church Evil? / Symbolic/alchemical Meaning Of The Coat Of Arms / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 04/08/15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 197
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.