Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,123 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:56 AM

Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? (956 Views)

Nairaland Becoming A Public Nuisance And Blatant Rumours House. / A Playground Called Romance Section. / What Is Nairaland Becoming? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by jamesibor: 11:08am On Aug 23, 2013
Good morning Nairalanders. I ask this question because for sometime now, there has been less serious topics hitting the front page than say 'gossips' and topics that end up turning to tribal wars.

Last night, I sourced a deep and comprehensive article written by a British expatriate oil worker who has spent 3 years working in Nigeria. This article provided an indepth analysis of Nigeria, Nigerians and problems militating against Nigeria's greatness.

Going by the quality of the article, the response it could generate,the deep message it conveys and the call to action thereof, one would have thought that on first sight, the article would have not only be moved to front page but also made sticky for at least one week to but alas, after many hours of trying to get the Mods attention by suggesting through several ways that the thread be moved to the front page (by my humble self and other well meaning Nairalanders) for further intelligent discourse, the Mods have turned a blind eye to the thread not withstanding the fact that Afam4eva was seen viewing the topic more than 12 hours ago.

It is also worthy of note to mention that from the time I suggested that the thread be moved to front page to now, the following threads have hit the front page;

"Gay guy beaten and arrested in Ogun state"

"Amosun launches 150 cabs in Ogun state"

"My Affair with Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo of COZA"

"Firm introduces refined garri"

among others.

It is on this note that I ask; IS Nairaland becoming a play ground?
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by jamesibor: 11:09am On Aug 23, 2013
The said article can be accessed on this thread;

https://www.nairaland.com/1407845/truth-nigeria-nigerians-british-expat

1 Like

Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by jamesibor: 11:43am On Aug 23, 2013
Can someone please provide a answer to my question.
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by Nobody: 11:52am On Aug 23, 2013
grin grin
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by DesChyko1(m): 11:53am On Aug 23, 2013
You speak my mind, sire. I feel the moderators have little idea about how to discern which topics should grace the frontpage. Although, we must admit fewer Nigerians are really interested in the more serious affairs aside gists and gossips. In a way, Nairaland is serving the majority demands and in doing so, losing their discipline. I feel there should be a major reform here. People, myself included, are losing the basic essence of information, because in truth, it's becoming a whirlpool centred on celebrities.
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Aug 23, 2013
And why should an article written by a foreigner and is 100% negative about my fatherland make the front page? I dont think it should make front page.

Yes, we have our problems and negatives but there are also positives and lots of things to celebrate in our country. For instance, we are about to conclude the BIGGEST privatisation process, atleast in Africa. So far, the TRANSPARENCY in the whole process is unprecedented. Examples of positives abound in this country. Yes, we have to work, as individuals and as govt, to curtail the negatives BUT it is not in the place of any white man to sit in judgement over the affairs of our country

1 Like

Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by jamesibor: 12:12pm On Aug 23, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: And why should an article written by a foreigner and is 100% negative about my fatherland make the front page? I dont think it should make front page.

Yes, we have our problems and negatives but there are also positives and lots of things to celebrate in our country. For instance, we are about to conclude the BIGGEST privatisation process, atleast in Africa. So far, the TRANSPARENCY in the whole process is unprecedented. Examples of positives abound in this country. Yes, we have to work, as individuals and as govt, to curtail the negatives BUT it is not in the place of any white man to sit in judgement over the affairs of our country
The article is front page worthy. The only part I disagree with is where he said that no progress has been made in the last decade but coming from someone who only came to Nigeria 3 years ago, he could be excused owing to the fact that he obviously doesn't know where we were 10 years ago.

Apart from that, the article deals with the orientation of the individual Nigerian and I think reading the article in full will cause a sane mind to ponder and reflect and maybe see how one can be the change one so earnestly desires.

I can bet my breakfast you didn't read all of the article.
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by naptu2: 12:41pm On Aug 23, 2013
1) Everybody wants his/her thread to make the front page.

2) Everybody thinks that his/her thread is important.

3) It is not possible for all threads to make the front page.

4) Nairaland is a general interest forum, made up of different sections (politics, music, movies, fashion, food, etc).

5) The front page moderators try to reflect this diversity.

6) The front page moderators also have to promote threads that will increase traffic (some of those newsy/political stories only interest nigerians, while music, celebrities, movie, etc stories interest nigerians as well as non-nigerians).

7) The moderators also have to promote breaking news, mega stories and stories that are trending in other fora.

1 Like

Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by jamesibor: 12:54pm On Aug 23, 2013
naptu2: 1) Everybody wants his/her thread to make the front page.

2) Everybody thinks that his/her thread is important.

3) It is not possible for all threads to make the front page.

4) Nairaland is a general interest forum, made up of different sections (politics, music, movies, fashion, food, etc).

5) The front page moderators try to reflect this diversity.

6) The front page moderators also have to promote threads that will increase traffic (some of those newsy/political stories only interest nigerians, while music, celebrities, movie, etc stories interest nigerians as well as non-nigerians).

7) The moderators also have to promote breaking news, mega stories and stories that are trending in other fora.
Did you read the thread I'm making reference to at all? If you did, you would be asking for it to hit front page. It's already 4 page long without being moved to the front page. Just incase you'd like to read the article, here's the link;

Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by naptu2: 12:56pm On Aug 23, 2013
james_ibor: Did you read the thread I'm making reference to at all? If you did, you would be asking for it to hit front page. It's already 4 page long without being moved to the front page. Just incase you'd like to read the article, here's the link;

I've read most of it, but I didn't get to the end. I agree with some of the author's points and disagree with others.

But that doesn't change what I wrote above.

(By the way, it might still make it to the front page. I've noticed that threads are moved to the front page in cycles. Not all threads can make it to the front page and the threads that do make it to the front page are not moved to the front page at once).
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by jamesibor: 1:01pm On Aug 23, 2013
naptu2:

I've read most of it, but I didn't get to the end. I agree with some of the author's points and disagree with others.

But that doesn't change what I wrote above.

(By the way, it might still make it to the front page. I've noticed that threads are moved to the front page in cycles. Not all threads can make it to the front page and the threads that do make it to the front page are not moved to the front page at once).
The only part I disagree with is the author's assertion that there has been no improvement in the last 10 years.
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Aug 23, 2013
just put Tonto Dike or Beverly Osu as the writer of the article, i swear to God, it will hit FP. grin
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by jamesibor: 1:06pm On Aug 23, 2013
berem: just put Tonto Dike or Beverly Osu as the writer of the article, i swear to God, it will hit FP. grin
Or change my moniker to berem.
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by naptu2: 1:34pm On Aug 23, 2013
james_ibor: The only part I disagree with is the author's assertion that there has been no improvement in the last 10 years.

So, you mean that you agree that the problem just suddenly started in the 1990s? I disagree. It started waaay before then and it didn't start suddenly, it was more gradual.
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Aug 23, 2013
No try am! grin If na joke make you stop am!
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by naptu2: 1:35pm On Aug 23, 2013
berem: just put Tonto Dike or Beverly Osu as the writer of the article, i swear to God, it will hit FP. grin

grin grin grin
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Aug 23, 2013
naptu2:

grin grin grin
grin grin
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by jamesibor: 4:41pm On Aug 23, 2013
naptu2:

So, you mean that you agree that the problem just suddenly started in the 1990s? I disagree. It started waaay before then and it didn't start suddenly, it was more gradual.
I do not agree that it started in the 1990s but from the late 80s through the 90s, it increas at a geometric progression.
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Aug 23, 2013
james_ibor: Can someone please provide a answer to my question.

It has always been a playground so i don't understand the need for this thread
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Playground? by DesChyko1(m): 10:47pm On Aug 23, 2013
A-town:

It has always been a playground so i don't understand the need for this thread

You have a point..in your little world.

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Man Burnt to Death For Murder In Ekiti / A Bomb Explosion Has Just Hit A Location In Kaduna Town. / Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) President Resigns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.