Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,744 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

Please Help Me Choose A Career Path - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please Help Me Choose A Career Path (1452 Views)

How Lucrative Is Pharmacy As A Career? / Possible Career Path For A Physics Graduate / Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Me Choose A Career Path by Nobody: 8:25am On May 31, 2006
Hi,

I hve a degree in computer science from the University of Lagos. I would like to choose a caraeer path for myself and take some certifications in any exams.

But the problem is i don't know what to do since the IT field is large. So could anyone please help me out and let me in on what to do with my life?

Thanks a lot because im really confused on what choices to make.
Re: Please Help Me Choose A Career Path by gbengaijot(m): 9:33am On May 31, 2006
@cutejoy, i am surprised you said this, since you already have a degree in comp[uter science. anyway, you should ask youself, what do you like doing in your chosen course?, is it programming?, is it networking?, is it multimedia?, is it database?, when you've finally chosen any field, then you can start searching through www.google.com for certifications on your specified field.
Re: Please Help Me Choose A Career Path by dominobaby(f): 5:28pm On May 31, 2006
@cutejoy(my namesake lol) i second what gbenga said. Find out which aspect u love most n take it up from there.
Re: Please Help Me Choose A Career Path by kimba(m): 8:27pm On Jun 01, 2006
@cutejoy

The I.T field is very wide and you cant completely walk it through. By the time you think you have arrived, you will find out how far others have gone.

Yes, as you had been told before, what do you like doing.
- Programming

- Computer Operations

- Networking / Computer hardware

- Computer graphics design

- content publishing, editing, web design etc

-User interface design and applications

- game programming (this is a field I havent seen so many Nigerians interested in, and its one of the fields of Computing that brings in real money. You must be a thinker).

- Computer Animation - this could include game programming, if 3d. A good example of this is the movie: Jurassic Park

- Applications development - You need to find out what hasnt been done before which is unique to do/what has been done or can be optimized in one way or the other

- I.T Security - this is another good field, its all about leaning to hack whatever could hack you

- Robotics/Artificial intelligence - making computers control hardware: machines, cars etc. This goes closely with Automation etc,

I could continue, but I hope u are seeing the light little by little,

the starting point:
What do you like doing with computers? make a list in order of importance, 1 to 10
Re: Please Help Me Choose A Career Path by otokx(m): 3:08pm On Jun 15, 2006
kimba missed out

database

training

please let it be something you will love doing or there will be some discordance.
Re: Please Help Me Choose A Career Path by gidig(m): 3:26pm On Jun 15, 2006
In choosing any of the carrer path that have been stated by previous posts, much of the answers to this question will still come from you cos' no one knows you the way you know yourself.What are the things that you like doing? Are you into computer because you wanted to? Ther are so many question like this that will determine just how you will be able to get things going in you life.

But do not make the mistake so many young people make by waiting for that self discovery to artive before getting a job that pays the bill. you can 'flirt around' wit the different discipline to see the one you have a natural flair for.The idael place to do this would have been the university. The fact that you wnat an anwser means you are likely to get it.

good luck!
Re: Please Help Me Choose A Career Path by babadee(m): 7:45pm On Jun 15, 2006
you can always work in a cybercafe!
Re: Please Help Me Choose A Career Path by anizzle(m): 12:55pm On Jun 17, 2006
i suggest u all stop confusing this young nigerian.

we should realise that universuty education in nigeria is second to bullshit.
d reply: bro/sis, do u want to make money? do u know what makes u happy? if u dont then u r wasting time, if u know then u dont have a problem, pick out those tns dat make u happy and implement them, for your self and the joy of others,
soon enough, "YOU GO FEAR MONEY!"
Re: Please Help Me Choose A Career Path by mutiu78(m): 12:55pm On Jun 20, 2006
Nobody is going to choose career for you. The only thing u need to ask ursef is what are my interests because it is not what u studied that may interest you.
Re: Please Help Me Choose A Career Path by sashaa(f): 12:14pm On Oct 30, 2010

(1) (Reply)

Sen2020 Saves Ur Future / Pay Package At Huawei / Enterprise Architecture anyone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.