Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:29 PM

Productivity Level In Nigeria Compared To The Western World - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Productivity Level In Nigeria Compared To The Western World (1453 Views)

Cecilia Akagu & Clifford Wanda Attain Same Senior Rank Level In The Army / What Is A Surgeon's/doctor's Salary Like In Nigeria Compared To The U.S.? / Take Home Pay For Entry Level In Federal Colleges Of Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Productivity Level In Nigeria Compared To The Western World by lao(f): 4:05am On Jan 14, 2011
My working in a western world has made me realize that in Nigeria there is nothing like productivity. In Nigeria we do not put much effort in anything we do. Going to work is all about your attendance, productivity level is very low. Your boss does not know what he is doing even if he has been there for God knows when. There is a format in the ways things are done so you do not have to think outside the box.
So going outside to work in a foreign country we find it hard to cope that is why most times we either go back home or do low level jobs that do not need our input. Correct me if I am wrong but that is the way I see it.
What do you think
Re: Productivity Level In Nigeria Compared To The Western World by DisGuy: 3:44am On Jan 17, 2011
Are you saying nigerian managers are incompetent?
Re: Productivity Level In Nigeria Compared To The Western World by AjanleKoko: 10:05am On Jan 17, 2011
@OP,
You have a point, definitely. I agree the productivity level in Nigeria is low compared to many of the developed countries. There are many reasons why this is so, but I think it's mostly due to the low human capacity development of Nigerians. Whether in public or private sector, people are often times simply not trained and geared towards performing optimally.

In fact I would say the general mentality in Nigeria is to keep people employed, not make them productive. I see this first hand right from the nation's gateway - the airports. When you are entering or leaving Nigeria, there are always two immigration officers checking passports. One will check and another will stamp. I have not seen this in any country I have ever been to. It's always one immigration officer. Why is Nigeria's case different? We want to keep people employed, and don't bother with measuring the actual value brought to the table.
Re: Productivity Level In Nigeria Compared To The Western World by lekside44(m): 3:35pm On Jan 17, 2011
lao:

My working in a western world has made me realize that in Nigeria there is nothing like productivity. In Nigeria we do not put much effort in anything we do. Going to work is all about your attendance, productivity level is very low. Your boss does not know what he is doing even if he has been there for God knows when. There is a format in the ways things are done so you do not have to think outside the box.
So going outside to work in a foreign country we find it hard to cope that is why most times we either go back home or do low level jobs that do not need our input. Correct me if I am wrong but that is the way I see it.
What do you think

thats a lie. if you have ever worked in an industry, you will see that much is demanded from you in terms of productivity. many companies are under staff, meaning you have so much work load on you. also, there are log files you sign showing your activities for the week or month. it is a question of no work no pay. it is only in ministries and some offices that such lazy attitudes exist
Re: Productivity Level In Nigeria Compared To The Western World by AjanleKoko: 3:45pm On Jan 17, 2011
lekside44:

thats a lie. if you have ever worked in an industry, you will see that much is demanded from you in terms of productivity. many companies are under staff, meaning you have so much work load on you. also, there are log files you sign showing your activities for the week or month. it is a question of no work no pay. it is only in ministries and some offices that such lazy attitudes exist

Lekside, don't be too quick to dismiss the assertions.
It's only in the MNC private sector that you have a different attitude to productivity. Also, the financial sector. Government, the biggest employer, and a lot of the Organized Private Sector, still grapple with this challenge. Ask about Glo, the only Nigerian-owned telco, and the work habits at the place.

(1) (Reply)

Should I Resign? / Mass Failure At Nigerian Law School As Over 3,000 Students Fail Bar Exam / Is There Any Future For A Nigerian Pilot Aside Being An Airline Captain?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.