Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,507 members, 7,819,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:14 AM

Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers (27363 Views)

Is It Proper To Pre-boil Beans Before Cooking / A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup / Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by Nobody: 10:48pm On Aug 28, 2013
I don't wash any poultry before I cook it .. I dump it in the pot add spices and onions and cook right away.

With young kids touching the counter top countless times everyday ... Food poisoning is no joke.
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by nikkyshyne(f): 11:02pm On Aug 28, 2013
The argument doesn't add up. I am washing the chicken directly at the sink bowl and not making a mess of the kitchen while washing.

Even if we were to go by their rules, while cutting the chicken aren't we making use of knives, boards and the like? Won't we end up washing the utensils too? Unless they are trying to say chicken cooking should be done outdoor.

Rubbish!
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by dammygoody(m): 11:15pm On Aug 28, 2013
Really don't know wat to say.......except for d fact dat i av over laughed to d extent of tears coming out of my eyes wit dese comments I'm reading ......
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by Revolva(m): 12:12am On Aug 29, 2013
so na which one person go believe again....omo na now i know say na crase world we dey.....small time dem go say do not wash or boil pork meat before eating...
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by piagetskinner(m): 12:20am On Aug 29, 2013
Y dont we just eat it raw with the intestine and poo in it..huh?this kind of research has married confusion#|smh
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by Maximus17(m): 3:27am On Aug 29, 2013
Tomorrow now,we would hear uncooked RIce is the Ideal thing
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by Egbagirl(f): 4:44am On Aug 29, 2013
nikkyshyne: The argument doesn't add up. I am washing the chicken directly at the sink bowl and not making a mess of the kitchen while washing.

Even if we were to go by their rules, while cutting the chicken aren't we making use of knives, boards and the like? Won't we end up washing the utensils too? Unless they are trying to say chicken cooking should be done outdoor.

Rubbish!

a little bit of water is bound to splash around thereby spreading/splattering bacteria around. studies suggest bacteria can fly up to 3feet
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by Egbagirl(f): 4:46am On Aug 29, 2013
jidegirl12: I don't wash any poultry before I cook it .. I dump it in the pot add spices and onions and cook right away.

With young kids touching the counter top countless times everyday ... Food poisoning is no joke.

I mean I guess the germs and all that stuff are killed from the heat anyway but still... I'd like to give my meat a quick rinse before.
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by kolamilan(m): 6:14am On Aug 29, 2013
this is not applicable to naija, because we can easily cook outside.
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by omonnakoda: 6:54am On Aug 29, 2013
Yes it is turue. In fact there is new research to show that it is not a good idea to wash your nyash when you shit.
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by crackhouse(m): 7:26am On Aug 29, 2013
Research findings not accepted.
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by crackhouse(m): 7:29am On Aug 29, 2013
Will there still be bacteria all over the place after washing it with very hot water? This research no enter well at all.
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by OnyeEgo1(m): 7:43am On Aug 29, 2013
As a biologist let me make some point clear here........

Bacterial do not survive at very high temperature lets say 100c...

They are dormant at very low temperature lets say 0c

At room temperature 25c dey are active... So critically analyzing witout conducting any experiment we shud b aware of d fact we are doing no good wen we wash d chicken wit normal temperature water......

#fact is: even if u are going to wash pls do it with very "HOT WATER"

Encourage me! By likingwink

#BIOLOGIST MALACHI
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by kensnoop: 8:51am On Aug 29, 2013
As a food scientist, I know that in poultry processing, wash water are treated water with some residual chlorine that are bacteriocidal, so the exp may be right but it shouldn't suggest we stop washing our chicken while processing, they should recap the conclusion and suggestion of the experiment
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by Tinkybabe(f): 9:15am On Aug 29, 2013
Truth is if we were to go by all the rules-dos and donts of health researchers. The message is clear, don't live so as not to die.
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by Natasha2(f): 9:35am On Aug 29, 2013
Hmmm I give up contradicting research everywhere. Perherps we would be better of without them #just saying.
When my mama dey tell me to rewash everytime I wash chicken or beef mtchewww
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by ghetomum: 9:43am On Aug 29, 2013
wash fowl wash fowl wash fowl wash fowl wash chicken wash chicken wash chicken

oyinbo na una SABI
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by Starlett: 11:41am On Aug 29, 2013
That's how they came along and said that we should make up for short-fall in world nutrition from feeding on insects. Chei!
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by Chrisned: 4:42pm On Aug 29, 2013
Na everything wey oyibo talk unable dey believe
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by Nobody: 5:38am On Aug 30, 2013
Egba girl:

I mean I guess the germs and all that stuff are killed from the heat anyway but still... I'd like to give my meat a quick rinse before.

@Chicken ...Yeah exactly, the high heat will kill any germs.

@meat... It depends really on where I bought it , I often buy mine from farm, I wash and portion ( in portion bags) right from there and dump it in the deep freezer like that. So I just pick a bag / meal. undecided

If bought the meat from grocery store, they're already packaged in a clear plastic covered styrofoam tray so I honestly don't wash it ( I dump the broth anyways, I buy my beef/chicken stock).

So either way I still don't wash raw meat in my sink , I dread it ( just cos of kids *shrugs*)

At home ( Naija) , I remembered when buying meat , you pick what you want , bargain then the butcher will portion it to your desired size and packaged in plastic bag..... But I guess because it has been exposed directly to germs from air and touch , it still needs to be washed, so I understand your doubt. smiley

Come to think of it, a medium rare steak mostly have blood like juice flowing from it when it's ready to serve...You can't try that with chicken = Poison .

So meat is safer to wash .
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by ignis: 6:33pm On Aug 30, 2013
Babzilla:

WATCH IT MR LEST I COOK U LIKE A CHICKEN
B4 , AFTER WAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE
WASH THE DAMNED BIRDIE
Bisminllah mana........ Shege dan iska
Come and cook me.
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by tpiander: 4:59pm On Jul 01, 2015
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by coolbuoy(m): 11:56am On Jul 02, 2015
C naija sef,mak we no rins bfr cukin..lol....soon som1 go rise nd strt to tel us to shit in nylon to prevent germs...lmao
Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers by itstpia8: 3:46am On Nov 16, 2015

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Native Jollof Rice/palmoil Rice / Healthy Living: Organic Sea salt, Organic Honey, Raw Shea butter & Coconut oil. / See The Chinchin I Fried With Just ₦500

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.