Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,463 members, 7,816,085 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

Windows Workstations Available In Nigeria? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Windows Workstations Available In Nigeria? (991 Views)

FIX: Sorry Uptobox.com Not Available In You Country / HP Announces 36-core Desktop Workstations With 2 Terabyte Of Ram / Is VoIP available in Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Windows Workstations Available In Nigeria? by Pharyn(m): 4:53pm On Jun 11, 2008
Hello freinds.
I need a system that has a high performance and multi-task ability.
Do anyone knows if I can get a system with QUAD-CORE processor in Nigeria?
Re: Windows Workstations Available In Nigeria? by Maleeq(m): 10:53am On Jun 12, 2008
The truth is, most people here in Nigeria go for systems for the bells and whistle it has and not necessarily what matches their immediate need. I have seen people with systems with the latest dual core processors, over-clocked with above 2g RAM and all they do is word processing and watch movies!

@Topic
Yes you can get quad-core systems here in Nigeria. The advice I would be offering is, get a system that suits your need(and maybe your pocket!). I still use a single core system with 1G RAM. Why? Cos it churns out the jobs I give it quite effectively for me. Reminds me of the ol' saying "Slow and steady wins the race"

Personally, whatever your need is, I feel a quad-core system is excessive!
Re: Windows Workstations Available In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jun 12, 2008
u never do CAD grin. poster may be working in an archi consultancy using revit/autocad architecture/mep or he may be doing video editing

if i get money. . . the system i will buy. . . tongue tongue tongue

2.8ghz core 2 duo exteme, 4gb ram - dual hard drive- quadro fx3600M 512mb , 1920x 1200 widescreen, 16mb l2 cache, (think those are the latest ultrahigh end dell precision m6300 specs - comes to over $5000) tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

until you have had to deal with a slow down when rendering, you'll know the need for a high end system. the demand of apps out there keep getting bigger and bigger. heard that photoshop CS4 will be strictly 64 bit.

anyway u r right - most peeps will never o more with their laptops than entertain themseles. in a previous post i talked about a colleague who i put together what was then a top of the line spec( 2ghz,core2duo, 120gb 7200 rpm hdd, 512mb nvidia card, 2gb ram 4mb l2 cache) sigh - they grow obsolete so fast! cry .all the guy did with the laptop was playmusic and watch dvds.

anyways - yours truly is a performance freak - and a user of multiple apps at the same time - for work - bling - efficency,
even with 2ghz core 2 duo, 3gb ram, 4gb ready boost, a 320gb hard drive in 70, 80 and 160gb partitions, i still find my acads sometimes runs slowly - though as i noted in a preious thread - amazingly autocad 2009 is faster under vista than xp( this is from direct experience) guess its something to do with the .net framework

@ poster, i doubt if you'll find workstations in naija. most of the syetms sold in naija are vanilla systems. i have a dell precion m90. while shopping i first called several nigerian vendors only to be told the usual bull - no longer in stock - just sold the last one tongue

i'd considered an ibm thinpad t61p , but all the models sold by coscharis had intel graphics adapters angry - imagine that buying a high end workstation then fking it up with intel graphics . they had you may consider building one, though - order the motherboard ram, videocards via ebay of amazon, buy the tower in naija and assemble . i say this because of another of my grouses - everthing in pc village is OVER PRICED.
Re: Windows Workstations Available In Nigeria? by Maleeq(m): 1:18pm On Jun 12, 2008
@oyb

CAD? From my limited knowledge, a good GPU would improve CAD performance. Drag occurs when most graphic rendering is done by the CPU. CAD to me predominantly involves linear algebra matrix /vector calculations.

Do you agree that having multiple processors does not necessarily improve some application's performance? I wonder what's the benefit of multi-core for a sequential application/algorithm

I am not saying that multi-core ain't cool, I just feel not until the poster delves into his requirements in details, I still remain of the opinion that quad-core is excessive! Its worthy to note that I did mention the size of his pocket. I am sure, if the poster's most extensive computing tasks requirements are benchmarked on dual and quad core systems, there would be almost not significant efficiency improvements. . .but the cost implication/difference can't be overlooked.

But in the end, another of my fav quotes: If you've got the $$$, flaunt it! Get the best!
Re: Windows Workstations Available In Nigeria? by Pharyn(m): 2:23pm On Jun 12, 2008
I work with Multimedia. I edit videos (DV, SD). I love quality jobs and I dont mind using very good system that can handle a lot of graphics. I currently use a laptop which after rendering the job, some aspects of the video pixelates and deters.
I want a system that can handle editing software at the same timew, burn DVDs and as well be efficient and fast enough. I feel laptops have limitations of the extent of expandability in terms of hard disk space (maximum of 250Gb) and RAM (recent laptops are up to 4Gb). Also, there limitation to the number of cards the board has space for.

Who knows the amount of a system that can have the following specifications:

2.6GHz QUAD

500GB Hard disk (7200rpm)

4Gb RAM

All DVD format burner

At least 256Mb Graphic memory

Others.

I want to know the estimate if possible. I believe in quality and I know when quality product meets the right market, people will pay my money. The fact is some people are looking for the best and won't mind paying more than normal to get what they want.

Another thing is that I want to use my skill to enrich humanity (people I think I can help). TO be a teacher of these things, you must be broad and vast in it and to become vast, you need to EXPLORE ,

Expecting your posts friends.
Re: Windows Workstations Available In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jun 12, 2008
google "nvidia quadro" and "ati firegl"

those are professional graphics cards

the nvidia geforce and ati radeon are gaming cards which may not give 100% performance for editing etal

you may also want to consider getting a 64bit processor with 64 bit windows- you can theoreitcally use up to 128gb or ram or more on a 64bit motherboard+os. i am considering triple booting -with a 64 bit os, because vendors are finally begininng to provide serious 64 bit support. lets see what 64bit autocad and office is like grin

actually, right now there is a 320gb laptop hdd - the western digital scorpio. its 5400rpm, tho. you can clone your hard drive to it.though when i tried i couldn't boot. had to eventualy install from scratch then phyiscally migrate files and settings from the original 160gb hdd.

if you want to buy an off the shelf system - rather than assemble - go to dell and look for precision there are desktop and mobile models.

@ maleeq, most systems will work with CAD as long as u're working in 2d, but when u do 3d, the requirements rise sharply. when you render. . .my old system was a toshiba 1.6ghz, 128mb video card, 1.5b ram. when working with a program called dialux, when performing some calculations, i sometimes had to wait for 15- 20 mins. thankfully thats in the past - sort of - .

theres also the caviar factor - once you've eaten caviar its hard to go back to sausage - somethings have to be experieneced. for years i used a standard 3 button mouse. a mnoth or so ago, i took delivery of a logitech mx revolution 1000.that is essentially a 10 button mouse and man you can do seriuos customizations with it. all my major keys are mapped to it.  today i wonder, how did i ever work without it?

its sort of the same with a high end system - until you run a resource hungry app (that u previously ran on an underpowered system)  one , you'll never truly apprciate them.

truth be told tho - all this 'sequential application/algorithm' is over my head  grin. cheers.
Re: Windows Workstations Available In Nigeria? by Maleeq(m): 8:06pm On Jun 12, 2008
oyb:

theres also the caviar factor - once you've eaten caviar its hard to go back to sausage - somethings have to be experieneced.

oyb:

its sort of the same with a high end system - until you run a resource hungry app (that u previously ran on an underpowered system) one , you'll never truly apprciate them.
Very true. Anyways, I know my opinions were based on my own and not the posters computing requirements. I write codes/programs mainly and they relatively don't require as much resource as video editing. Though I have used multi-core systems for my developments and felt the difference, all I was trying to point out(before the poster specifically mentioned video editing) is that a lot of folks have systems that packs power in folds of what they really require - not realizing the $$$ that could have been saved.

oyb:

truth be told tho - all this 'sequential application/algorithm' is over my head grin. cheers.
grin

(1) (Reply)

Speeds Up Your Pc By 300% / How To Delete A Group On Facebook / Where Can I Get Cheap Fairly Used Laptops In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.