Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,101 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:29 AM

American Citizenship - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / American Citizenship (3098 Views)

American Citizenship Filing / Renouncing Your American Citizenship Due To High Tax Rate..... / American Citizenship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

American Citizenship by SeanT21(f): 8:59pm On Jun 11, 2008
I have been in the US for over 5 years and i want to apply for citizenship.

How many question do they ask you, what are the question, is it a computer test or a face to face test like an interview?

help me out if you can. Thanks.
Re: American Citizenship by JeSoul(f): 9:07pm On Jun 11, 2008
http://www.us-immigration.com/information/citizenship_tutorial/

Step by step tutorial on everything u need to know. And last I heard cple yrs ago the application fee was $400 - it has probably increased.
Goodluck.
Re: American Citizenship by SeanT21(f): 9:26pm On Jun 11, 2008
Thanks. How did You do on yours.
Re: American Citizenship by JeSoul(f): 9:40pm On Jun 11, 2008
the test was wicked easy, u really have to be super dumb to not pass it. The only thing is that is takes months n even over a yr sometimes for the entire process so make sure u apply on time. I got naturalized a while back and it has been truly worth it - you know how immigration issues are so big in this country.

1 Like

Re: American Citizenship by SeanT21(f): 9:41pm On Jun 11, 2008
do you remember any question they ask. was it about the history of america or what?
Re: American Citizenship by JeSoul(f): 9:46pm On Jun 11, 2008
yeah its pretty much about the major points in American history like first president, declaration of independence, The Civil war . . .etc stuff like that. They actually sent me a package of sample questions and a study guide which was practically almost the same questions I got asked in the real test. It was very easy, don't worry about it at all.
Re: American Citizenship by landis(m): 11:50am On Jun 12, 2008
American Citizenship is worthless.

I wont take it for FREE.

You surely attract 'smiling Bombers' to yourself.

If you think its valuable; go to Yemen, Indonesia, Iran etc and say I am American.

grin cheesy grin
Re: American Citizenship by JeSoul(f): 2:20pm On Jun 12, 2008
landis:

American Citizenship is worthless.
really? tell that to the hundreds and thousands of nigerians and other immigrants that are struggling and marrying for papers. Whether u like it or not it is extremely valuable. Everything is much easier- getting a job, buying a house, travelling etc. . .

You surely attract 'smiling Bombers' to yourself.

If you think its valuable; go to Yemen, Indonesia, Iran etc and say I am American.

grin cheesy grin
so if I'm understanding u correctly American citizenship is useless becos of the threat of bombers n other terrorists? need I show you the severe error in your thinking?
Re: American Citizenship by landis(m): 2:56pm On Jun 12, 2008
travelling etc. . .

go travel in Iran or even Pakistan(US ally) and tell them you american and see if they will smile at you or throw grenade at you

grin cheesy grin
Re: American Citizenship by Uche2nna(m): 2:58pm On Jun 12, 2008
grin grin grin

They would prolly throw a grenade @ U grin

But then that does not take away the other advantages that comes with being an American citizen especially for us that come from countries that dont give 2 shit about thier citizens cry
Re: American Citizenship by Ezinwannem: 3:07pm On Jun 12, 2008
American Citizenship is limited if I may put it like dat, Itz good within the state and selected countries, as sum1 mentioned, itz a bad news for sum countries like esp. middle eastern countries.

Do u know that Americans come to Canada now to be Canadian Citizen?
Re: American Citizenship by JeSoul(f): 3:26pm On Jun 12, 2008
landis:

go travel in Iran or even Pakistan(US ally) and tell them you american and see if they will smile at you or throw grenade at you

grin cheesy grin
  wetin I go go find for there? cheesy I have not now, nor in the past, nor in the future will have any desire to visit the middle east - I never waka finish africa and europe na pakistan or Iran I go come go? yeah right!  cool

Uche2nna:

grin grin grin

They would prolly throw a grenade @ You grin

But then that does not take away the other advantages that comes with being an American citizen especially for us that come from countries that don't give 2 shit about their citizens cry
  I second that!
Re: American Citizenship by JeSoul(f): 3:28pm On Jun 12, 2008
Ezinwannem:

American Citizenship is limited if I may put it like that, Itz good within the state and selected countries, as someone mentioned, itz a bad news for sum countries like esp. middle eastern countries.

Do u know that Americans come to Canada now to be Canadian Citizen?
hehe some acquaintances I had moved to Canada couple yrs ago and I was wondering why for a long time. . . then I found out they were owing the IRS a whole lotta money and moved to escape! lol.
Re: American Citizenship by Ezinwannem: 3:42pm On Jun 12, 2008
datz a rare case, most come cuz of Canadian good standing internationally, even wen American's go to other countries, they say they are Canadians wen asked tongue
Re: American Citizenship by Uche2nna(m): 3:44pm On Jun 12, 2008
Ezinwannem:

datz a rare case, most come because of Canadian good standing internationally, even when American's go to other countries, they say they are Canadians when asked tongue

Thatz a new one on me. Americans are usually the first to scream out thier allegiance even when it is not required.
Re: American Citizenship by landis(m): 3:54pm On Jun 12, 2008
hehe some acquaintances I had moved to Canada couple years ago and I was wondering why for a long time. . . then I found out they were owing the IRS a whole lotta money and moved to escape! lol.

now you are talking. why waste your time with some worthless citizenship when you have it nice/safe in Canada.

really? tell that to the hundreds and thousands of nigerians and other immigrants that are struggling and marrying for papers.

they have no clue or they are miss-informed.

cheesy grin cheesy

Tier One Citizenship: Canada,  Scotland, New Zealand, Sweden, Norway, Singapore.
Re: American Citizenship by Ezinwannem: 3:58pm On Jun 12, 2008
@Uchenna, hehee, abi tongue
@landis, u have said it allll
Re: American Citizenship by JeSoul(f): 4:11pm On Jun 12, 2008
Uche2nna:

Thatz a new one on me. Americans are usually the first to scream out their allegiance even when it is not required.
  Lol . . . that is sooo true!

landis:

now you are talking. why waste your time with some worthless citizenship when you have it nice/safe in Canada.
    cheesy  it is nice and safe but cold for most parts  cool 

Tier One Citizenship: Canada,  Scotland, New Zealand, Sweden, Norway, Singapore.
  Tier one for where? you've just named several countries that are known to be racist towards blacks. . . yes america still has race problems but not nearly as bad as many european countries. My own na to go visit and come back home.
Re: American Citizenship by Ezinwannem: 4:23pm On Jun 12, 2008
@jesoul, most Canadian cities is as cold as most US cities including your Boston, have u been to Canada b4?
By the way, America's racial profile is da worst in the world, beta believe dat
Re: American Citizenship by JeSoul(f): 5:02pm On Jun 12, 2008
Ezinwannem:

@jesoul, most Canadian cities is as cold as most US cities including your Boston, have u been to Canada before?
  no I haven't been there, but I've seen a map and geographical profile and weatherchannel.com.  cool Perhaps Canadian temp is similar to several northern US cities, but most certainly not heatpacks that are the southern and midwest states.

By the way, America's racial profile is da worst in the world, beta believe that
  Please I'd like to see your source and research study for how that conclusion was reached. I'm not saying America doesn't have its race problems, it does and even moreso here in the northeast than the south. I'm saying the countries Landis listed as better are even worse. And those who live there readily testify to it - starting with my boyfriend who moved here couple years ago from europe because of it.
Re: American Citizenship by Ezinwannem: 5:09pm On Jun 12, 2008
Good, I was refering to the Northern parts of the US including OHIO, CHICHAO, INDIANA, MICHIGAN ETC,

AS FOR RACIAL PROFILING, Europeans r straight 4wards ppl so its visible but Americans r now, pretending they r united, lol
Re: American Citizenship by JeSoul(f): 5:12pm On Jun 12, 2008
Ezinwannem:

Good, I was refering to the Northern parts of the US including OHIO, CHICHAO, INDIANA, MICHIGAN ETC
oh okay, got u. I hear Michigan can be really brutal sometimes.

AS FOR RACIAL PROFILING, Europeans r straight 4wards people so its visible but Americans r now, pretending they r united, lol
   Lol. . . you're right but its not always false unity. I have met many who are genuinely trying to understand and get along with black people, and some even ask whether certain things might offend me or not. At least they are trying to make an effort and that is really all one can ask for.
Re: American Citizenship by JeSoul(f): 5:15pm On Jun 12, 2008
Off topic: Is BEAM your website? I've been thinking for the longest time of doing something like that. It's great to see. I tried to get more info but the links don't work - is the problem from my end?
Re: American Citizenship by Ezinwannem: 5:18pm On Jun 12, 2008
Yes, BEAM INC. is my newly founded NGO. it just got INCOPORATED with the Canadian Govt. the website will be completed by today by the professional web designer desgning it. I will keep you posted. How do u see the site so far?
Re: American Citizenship by sheniqua: 5:25pm On Jun 12, 2008
whoever says American citizenship is worthless may be one of those that have cried their eyes out monthly at the US embassy with different names and styles of bia bia.
America still remains the most coveted country in the world.
Go to US emabssies all over the world.
Even the Arabs the fellow was talking about are falling over themselves to get here.
Re: American Citizenship by sheniqua: 5:34pm On Jun 12, 2008
landis:

they have no clue or they are miss-informed.

cheesy grin cheesy

Tier One Citizenship: Canada,  Scotland, New Zealand, Sweden, Norway, Singapore.

and yet Canadians are moving here in droves.
Even many Naijas pass through Canada on the way to their final destination USA.
The land that floweth with milk and honey cool
Canada is good but when we talk of opportunities to build wealth especially for an immigrant ,they don't compare.
I guess if the US embassy turns one down,Canada maybe the next best thing esp since you can sneak in through the borders lipsrsealed
I doubt if anyone would get a US visa lottery and  canadian lottery and prefer to go to that welfare state. grin
Re: American Citizenship by omega25red(m): 5:52pm On Jun 12, 2008
@ poster here is what happens

When you apply initially they will give you an appointment for finger printing
at that appointment you would be given the booklet with the history and things that you need to know for the exam
If i were you i would study this well because they don't ask those questions in a specific order

On the day of your interview you would be asked a bunch of the same questions that were on your initial application like if you ever commited a crime or if you traveled out and how long you were out of the country etc with out any warning for me the lady that interviewed me just went into the questions like the gov of the state you live in or who the first president of the capital of your state mayors name date of the civil war main people who signed the declaration of independence etc there were like 13 questions or so if i remember correctly. after that she told me that i passed and i was told to go to a window to get my schedule for my swearing in. That was it

on the swearing in day they take you american issued id's like green card work permit etc and then the do what they have to to and then they give you your citizenship document.
Re: American Citizenship by Tonim(f): 6:14pm On Jun 12, 2008
Ezinwannem:

even when American's go to other countries, they say they are Canadians when asked tongue

Nairaland people never seize to amaze me. Which Americans say they are Canadians when they
go to other countries undecided
Re: American Citizenship by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jun 12, 2008
Tonim:

Nairaland people never seize to amaze me. Which Americans say they are Canadians when they
go to other countries undecided
she's right though. I've heard abt that.

when some Americans go to the middle east, esp. Iraq, they'd say they're Canadians, to protect themselves na. .
Re: American Citizenship by TOH(f): 6:20pm On Jun 12, 2008
americans like to make threats or moving to canada for things like national health care but other than that most of them make fun of Canada/Canadians

I personally don't care either way.
Re: American Citizenship by SeanT21(f): 6:39pm On Jun 12, 2008
The only reason Americans say they are Canadians is because the whole world have this wrong perception of Americans. So it will be easy to cover it up. I know Americans that have traveled abroad and was treated bad because of the American government. So to escape the questions and whatever problems on the way, they say they are Canadians.

I don't plan on going to the middle east or Europe. I only plan on visiting Jamaica, Africa and The Americas. If America is not all that, why do millions and millions of people from different countries around the world apply for DV 2009. Most coming from Nigeria.

Anyway,Thanks for the answers. I am looking forword to the test. I am good at US history, so it wont be hard.
Re: American Citizenship by JeSoul(f): 6:54pm On Jun 12, 2008
Ezinwannem:

Yes, BEAM INC. is my newly founded NGO. it just got INCOPORATED with the Canadian Govt. the website will be completed by today by the professional web designer desgning it. I will keep you posted. How do u see the site so far?
the site looks cool, the layout is well organized too, let me know when the content is all set, I'd love to look more into it. Much props to you! for taking this on, it is highly commendable. Like I said I've been thinking of doing something like that and since I'm not doing it now I would love to support what you're doing. Keep me updated! smiley

sheniqua:

whoever says American citizenship is worthless may be one of those that have cried their eyes out monthly at the US embassy with different names and styles of bia bia.
America still remains the most coveted country in the world.
Go to US emabssies all over the world.
Even the Arabs the fellow was talking about are falling over themselves to get here.
Lol cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Can I Get Night Bus From Lagos To Abuja By 4pm To 6pm. / Top 10 UGLIEST CITIES In The World / Nigerian Friends In Oslo/sandefjord Norway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.