Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,484 members, 7,816,147 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:35 AM

How Can I Backup My Desktop That Refuses To Boot... Plz I Need Help - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Can I Backup My Desktop That Refuses To Boot... Plz I Need Help (631 Views)

How Do I Backup My Yahoo Mail? / Pls How Do I Use My Nokia E63 As A Modern For My Desktop Cmp / I Could Not Delete A Particular Winrar Zip File On My Desktop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Backup My Desktop That Refuses To Boot... Plz I Need Help by sampeke(m): 4:05pm On Aug 28, 2013
My desktop computer running on windows xp have refuse to boot. I tried using window os disk to repair the demand program but it keep tell me to format the system, i can't coz i have important files on ma hdd i don't want to lose. Please i need help on how to backup before formatting. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: How Can I Backup My Desktop That Refuses To Boot... Plz I Need Help by Nobody: 4:48pm On Aug 28, 2013
It depends on what the problem is. If it is asking you to format as you have said, I would advice you get a new hard drive, mount it to the system and install afresh. After that, slave the other drive or mount as external drive to copy your files.
Re: How Can I Backup My Desktop That Refuses To Boot... Plz I Need Help by sampeke(m): 10:31pm On Aug 28, 2013
ledafaze: It depends on what the problem is. If it is asking you to format as you have said, I would advice you get a new hard drive, mount it to the system and install afresh. After that, slave the other drive or mount as external drive to copy your files.
its nt asking me to format expect when i try reinstall a new window os which will never install complete. It keep telling me that a particular file is missing and ma hdd is partioned. Sorry what is ''slave''. Thanks
Re: How Can I Backup My Desktop That Refuses To Boot... Plz I Need Help by KnightsTemplar(m): 11:36pm On Aug 28, 2013
sampeke: My desktop computer running on windows xp have refuse to boot. I tried using window os disk to repair the demand program but it keep tell me to format the system, i can't coz i have important files on ma hdd i don't want to lose. Please i need help on how to backup before formatting. Thanks in anticipation.

ledafaze: It depends on what the problem is. If it is asking you to format as you have said, I would advice you get a new hard drive, mount it to the system and install afresh. After that, slave the other drive or mount as external drive to copy your files.

Incomplete installation can indicate basically two things 1. Hard disk with so many Bad sectors 2> faulty RAM(memory)so it is possible that ur hard disk or RAM is failing, thereby corrupting your OS, or u do not use a UPS for ur system. Before u backup, u should try to repair the OS since it is complaining about a missing file, u can use XP recovery console for this.

Boot from ur XP cd, 2) during installation, at the point of the first "R" i.e the recovery console, hit the "R" button, 3) log on to the windows directory if it is still valid, by pressing 1. 4)it take you to the root directory C:/windows>** 5) type CHKDSK /r and press enter, allow the system to work, it might take some time depending on the speed of ur system, now reboot and c if ur system boots normally, if it doesn't, follow the steps i highlighted above, but now do not use the recovery console, use the re installation option i.e the second "R" it should not prompt u to reformat ur drive, but will hopefully, see a previous windows installation to rebuild.

If ur are successful, windows will be able to boot normally for u to access your files. Now i will still advice you to backup, if u still want to use the drive, do a low-level formatting on the hard disk, if it does not complain about Bad sectors during formatting, then the Hard disk is still usable.

What ledafaze meant by slaving is that u connect that ur hard drive u want to format to a working system, the working system should be the master and your own the "slave" thought the term can be misleading when you do not connect them to the same IDE Channel. Anyway try this and let us know how it goes.
Re: How Can I Backup My Desktop That Refuses To Boot... Plz I Need Help by sampeke(m): 8:04am On Aug 29, 2013
KnightsTemplar:

Incomplete installation can indicate basically two things 1. Hard disk with so many Bad sectors 2> faulty RAM(memory)so it is possible that ur hard disk or RAM is failing, thereby corrupting your OS, or u do not use a UPS for ur system. Before u backup, u should try to repair the OS since it is complaining about a missing file, u can use XP recovery console for this.

Boot from ur XP cd, 2) during installation, at the point of the first "R" i.e the recovery console, hit the "R" button, 3) log on to the windows directory if it is still valid, by pressing 1. 4)it take you to the root directory C:/windows>** 5) type CHKDSK /r and press enter, allow the system to work, it might take some time depending on the speed of ur system, now reboot and c if ur system boots normally, if it doesn't, follow the steps i highlighted above, but now do not use the recovery console, use the re installation option i.e the second "R" it should not prompt u to reformat ur drive, but will hopefully, see a previous windows installation to rebuild.

If ur are successful, windows will be able to boot normally for u to access your files. Now i will still advice you to backup, if u still want to use the drive, do a low-level formatting on the hard disk, if it does not complain about Bad sectors during formatting, then the Hard disk is still usable.

What ledafaze meant by slaving is that u connect that ur hard drive u want to format to a working system, the working system should be the master and your own the "slave" thought the term can be misleading when you do not connect them to the same IDE Channel. Anyway try this and let us know how it goes.
thanks for the education, i followed ur procedures in attempt to repair the bad os. After repairing it still say unable to boot file not found. One more thing in slaving ur hdd do u need special connectors/cables. Thanks
Re: How Can I Backup My Desktop That Refuses To Boot... Plz I Need Help by sampeke(m): 8:06am On Aug 29, 2013
KnightsTemplar:

thanks for the education, i followed ur procedures in attempt to repair the bad os. After repairing it still say unable to boot file not found. One more thing in slaving ur hdd do u need special connectors/cables. Thanks
Re: How Can I Backup My Desktop That Refuses To Boot... Plz I Need Help by KnightsTemplar(m): 10:06am On Aug 29, 2013
sampeke:

U may likely need an extra connector, depending on the type of hard drive u have, and also if the Host system can support ur drive, assuming u r using a SATA drive but the host system's motherboard does not support SATA drives. I wouldn't know if ur drive is SATA or PATA(IDE). Please identify the type of hard drive u have or describe the type of data cable running from d drive to the motherboard.
Re: How Can I Backup My Desktop That Refuses To Boot... Plz I Need Help by sampeke(m): 11:51am On Aug 29, 2013
KnightsTemplar:

U may likely need an extra connector, depending on the type of hard drive u have, and also if the Host system can support ur drive, assuming u r using a SATA drive but the host system's motherboard does not support SATA drives. I wouldn't know if ur drive is SATA or PATA(IDE). Please identify the type of hard drive u have or describe the type of data cable running from d drive to the motherboard.
The hard disk drive is IDE type. Thanks
Re: How Can I Backup My Desktop That Refuses To Boot... Plz I Need Help by KnightsTemplar(m): 3:41pm On Aug 29, 2013
sampeke:
The hard disk drive is IDE type. Thanks

OK, I want to assume that u have a system that u will slave to, and that the systems motherboard will support an extra IDE device. Detach ur Hdd with the IDE cable still attached to it from ur system.

On the host system's motherboard, plug ur Hdd to the a free IDE channel (connector), and plug the power connector also. Now if ur host system's motherboard has only one IDE channel, as new motherboards do these days, and may be probably occupied by the host system's drive, say the hard disk, now it then means that u will have to connect the 2 hard drive to one cable. But for d BIOS to recognise the two drives on the same channel, u will have to configure ur hard disk jumper to slave assuming the host Hdd is master, u can achieve this by moving the jumper at the back of ur hardisk to slave or master, it is clearly stated at the back of the drive, bottom line the two hdd must not be of the same jumper configuration. When u r done, start d system enter d BIOS of the host system to be sure it is detected by the system. If it is ok, from the Windows u should be able to c the 2 drives.
Re: How Can I Backup My Desktop That Refuses To Boot... Plz I Need Help by sampeke(m): 4:09pm On Aug 29, 2013
KnightsTemplar:

OK, I want to assume that u have a system that u will slave to, and that the systems motherboard will support an extra IDE device. Detach ur Hdd with the IDE cable still attached to it from ur system.

On the host system's motherboard, plug ur Hdd to the a free IDE channel (connector), and plug the power connector also. Now if ur host system's motherboard has only one IDE channel, as new motherboards do these days, and may be probably occupied by the host system's drive, say the hard disk, now it then means that u will have to connect the 2 hard drive to one cable. But for d BIOS to recognise the two drives on the same channel, u will have to configure ur hard disk jumper to slave assuming the host Hdd is master, u can achieve this by moving the jumper at the back of ur hardisk to slave or master, it is clearly stated at the back of the drive, bottom line the two hdd must not be of the same jumper configuration. When u r done, start d system enter d BIOS of the host system to be sure it is detected by the system. If it is ok, from the Windows u should be able to c the 2 drives.
thank u so much for your time and help. God bless u

(1) (Reply)

Pls Help:where Can I Get A Lenovo Laptop Charger? / Avast Internet Security 2014 & Avg Internet Security, Which Is The Best? / Help Me My Browser Has Gone Cuckoo!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.