Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,278 members, 7,957,705 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 05:54 PM

Help Needed On 3rd Generation Nissan Altima - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help Needed On 3rd Generation Nissan Altima (1067 Views)

Two Buses Collide On 3rd Mainland Bridge (Photos) / Driver Almost Burnt Alive On 3rd Mainland Bridge / Photos From A Terrible Accident On 3rd Mainland Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Needed On 3rd Generation Nissan Altima by Dinobenson: 6:54pm On Aug 28, 2013
Good day folks,am using a nissan Altima 2002-2006 model. for a while now i have been having problem with my car.it can not accelerate more than 60km/per hr.the problem started when i cross a flooded road.i took it to my mechanic he said the fuel pump is bad,in the course of trying to negotiate on how to change the fuel pump another mechanic suggested it could be the air flow.please can i get opinions from those that i had experience similar situation? I'm most grateful for any helpftul suggestion,thanks.
Re: Help Needed On 3rd Generation Nissan Altima by cardoctor(m): 7:36pm On Aug 28, 2013
If your check engine light is on then you need to scan your car to know what is wrong.

Its possible water has entered into certain engine components such as the connectors for your o2 sensors or crankshaft sensor as they are the most vulnerable to flood damage.

I can't remember where the ecm for your car is positioned but if its bolted to the floor pan of the car then you must also investigate if you've got water ingress there.

Other possibilities could be that the intake duct could have suck in water while driving through the flood and damaged the airflow meter on its way into the inlet manifold.

The second opinion you got about the air flow meter being damaged is most likely.

Scan the car first sha.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Help Needed On 3rd Generation Nissan Altima by Ikenna351(m): 9:00pm On Aug 28, 2013
As Car-doctor suggested, your car has OBD-II port. Start from there, shikena.

Lesson learnt, i believe. Next time, avoid swimming with your car. It's not a boat. That you see others doing it doesn't mean its safe. If you had done U-turn and tried another route/road when you saw that flood/pool or water, you won't be having this nightmare.

Also, don't listen to "put the head, don't allow him to put head". Also, don't listen to "put head, nothing go happen". Something always dey happen in such situations. I was a victim. Back then while in Unizik, i was travelling with a guy and a chick in my father's Peugeot 504 GL. Sighted a Police check point afar and stopped. I told the guy with me that one of the vehicle papers has expired, i think the insurance. The guy pressed me to move, that "nothing go happen", as long as he was in the car. He even asked me to leave him to do the talking, incase they park us by the road side. Foolishly, i drove on (one of the foolish things i did back in the days i wont forget). We got to the check point and i slowed down. One of the Policemen peeped, saw two youngmen inthe front seats and a hot chick at the rear seat and shouted "Park!", pointing at the road side to park well well. "Am in for it!", i assured myself. The guy that claimed he would do the sweet talking jumped down and started what he claimed he would do to set us free. Before i could say 'jack', they have asked for the vehicle papers. I was looking at the guy wondering why the 'talking' come worsen the situation. By the time the policeman saw the expired Insurance paper, the guy no fit talk again. He quietly entered the car and kept quiet. It was more like "You are on your own". Na so i come start my own 'talking'. My own talking was 'biko' all through. There is no sound of 'biko' i didn't use that day. Eventually, they warned me and gave me back my papers and driver's licence. Since that day, i don't listen to any second opinion on where to drive or how to drive my car from anybody. Because when trouble comes out of, it will be on your head eventually.

Summary of my story, if you see any level of flood that you are not sure of, do U-turn. I no dey 4 "its not too deep". Because no be you go fix am for me if the car kpafuga inside the flood.

Ikenna.
Re: Help Needed On 3rd Generation Nissan Altima by Dinobenson: 10:44pm On Aug 28, 2013
car-doctor:
If your check engine light is on then you need to scan your car to know what is wrong.

Its possible water has entered into certain engine components such as the connectors for your o2 sensors or crankshaft sensor as they are the most vulnerable to flood damage.

I can't remember where the ecm for your car is positioned but if its bolted to the floor pan of the car then you must also investigate if you've got water ingress there.

Other possibilities could be that the intake duct could have suck in water while driving through the flood and damaged the airflow meter on its way into the inlet manifold.

The second opinion you got about the air flow meter being damaged is most likely.

Scan the car first sha.

Car-Doctor.
thanks so much car-doctor for ur prompt response,i will take ur suggestion on scanning.pls do u know the cost range for scanning cars? Thanks once more.
Re: Help Needed On 3rd Generation Nissan Altima by Dinobenson: 10:49pm On Aug 28, 2013
Ikenna351: As Car-doctor suggested, your car has OBD-II port. Start from there, shikena.

Lesson learnt, i believe. Next time, avoid swimming with your car. It's not a boat. That you see others doing it doesn't mean its safe. If you had done U-turn and tried another route/road when you saw that flood/pool or water, you won't be having this nightmare.

Also, don't listen to "put the head, don't allow him to put head". Also, don't listen to "put head, nothing go happen". Something always dey happen in such situations. I was a victim. Back then while in Unizik, i was travelling with a guy and a chick in my father's Peugeot 504 GL. Sighted a Police check point afar and stopped. I told the guy with me that one of the vehicle papers has expired, i think the insurance. The guy pressed me to move, that "nothing go happen", as long as he was in the car. He even asked me to leave him to do the talking, incase they park us by the road side. Foolishly, i drove on (one of the foolish things i did back in the days i wont forget). We got to the check point and i slowed down. One of the Policemen peeped, saw two youngmen inthe front seats and a hot chick at the rear seat and shouted "Park!", pointing at the road side to park well well. "Am in for it!", i assured myself. The guy that claimed he would do the sweet talking jumped down and started what he claimed he would do to set us free. Before i could say 'jack', they have asked for the vehicle papers. I was looking at the guy wondering why the 'talking' come worsen the situation. By the time the policeman saw the expired Insurance paper, the guy no fit talk again. He quietly entered the car and kept quiet. It was more like "You are on your own". Na so i come start my own 'talking'. My own talking was 'biko' all through. There is no sound of 'biko' i didn't use that day. Eventually, they warned me and gave me back my papers and driver's licence. Since that day, i don't listen to any second opinion on where to drive or how to drive my car from anybody. Because when trouble comes out of, it will be on your head eventually.

Summary of my story, if you see any level of flood that you are not sure of, do U-turn. I no dey 4 "its not too deep". Because no be you go fix am for me if the car kpafuga inside the flood.

Ikenna.
na wah for u o! U forget to mention what contribution the 'hot' chick made to get ur car released.abi her own na to enjoy free ride? Lol! Just kidding,thanks for ur help,i think i have learnt my lessons (the hard way though).respect bro.
Re: Help Needed On 3rd Generation Nissan Altima by KA24DETT(m): 2:14am On Sep 08, 2013
the problem is the way the intake system of the altima is designed.
Instead of getting air from the side fender, Nissan redesigned the intake system to suck air from 2 sections. A plastic intake to suck in air from closer to the grill and another facing downward to suck in air "F -DESIGN". Its a better effient design but the problem is that driving through water can cause the downward facing tube to suck in water.
Scan your car like car doctor said and get a "Short ram air intake" if you know u gona be driving through water alot.
GOOD LUCK

(1) (Reply)

Pls I Need Ur Help Urgently / Pls I need Help from cotonou clearing agents / Mercedes-benz Is Winning The Luxury Battle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.