Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Houseboy, Housegirl, And Driver - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Houseboy, Housegirl, And Driver (1667 Views)

Poll: Do you have a

Houseboy: 0% (0 votes)
Housegirl: 28% (2 votes)
Driver: 0% (0 votes)
one or more: 42% (3 votes)
All three: 28% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

Can A Bachelor Have A Housegirl Or Housemaid??? / Is Having A Housegirl Akin To Slavery? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Houseboy, Housegirl, And Driver by nalijah07(f): 3:52pm On Jun 12, 2008
In every Nigerian movie I've watched so far, everyone has a houseboy, housegirl, and driver. Is this common in Nigeria? Is it the norm for the working class to employ such help? If so, what rate of pay do they receive?
Re: Houseboy, Housegirl, And Driver by skyy04(m): 4:03pm On Jun 12, 2008
They live on token, a country were the citizens has no choice.In some cases you need school cert to get such job.Rich get richer while the poor die in poverty. shocked
Re: Houseboy, Housegirl, And Driver by redsun(m): 5:05pm On Jun 12, 2008
Bad,oppressive system,no goverment.Poor and innocent children getting caught up in the nightmare of house maids and house boys whose in most cases,have masters as dumb as mentally slow children ,imagine a situation like that,where a dumb child is taking care of a poor bright child.

They physically and mentally abuse these kids like hell,in a normal world,they will all be in jail,including the parents that let their children become slaves.Some of them think that having children they can't take care of is a task,you don't need a child if you can't take care one.
Re: Houseboy, Housegirl, And Driver by nalijah07(f): 8:11pm On Jun 12, 2008
I agree with you redsun. I know that having children is a blessing. But it ends up being a burden if you can't provide for them, therefore you are foreced to place them into all kinds of unfortunate situations.
Re: Houseboy, Housegirl, And Driver by omoovie(f): 11:36pm On Jun 12, 2008
I don't think - or @ least I would hope - that any parent has a child with the intention of turning them into somebody else's modern day slave. Na condition make crayfish bend. Even if you keep houseboys/girls/maiguards/drivers you need to treat them with respect and treat them like you would your own because not only is a cared for employee happier, they'd be loyal too. After getting punished for being lazy and extremely rude to our househelp (my parents made me do all her work, wash her clothes and serve her her food for 2 days straight! Back then I was sooooo upset!!!) I was never mean to any of our help again and my siblings and I always joined them to work until we were big enough to be doing the work ourselves.
Re: Houseboy, Housegirl, And Driver by ssRhino: 1:50pm On Jun 13, 2008
What is the difference btw a househelp that is being paid for their services and a cousin or nephew that is made to live with a family member and being used to do all the work in the house while their own personal kids are sitting watching some catoons, i personally think, the sad thing is nigerians failed to see other people as they see themselves, or better still " do unto others as you would like others to do unto you" rule is yet to be in existence in that nation.
So we all can help to train a child and take them out of the mess that their parents have subjected them to.
Re: Houseboy, Housegirl, And Driver by manmustwac(m): 9:47pm On Jun 13, 2008
househelp is a form of modern day slavery. The majority of these househelps work long hours 7 days a week 4 chicken change salary. They are all illiterate and not given a formal education by their employers and most suffer some form of abuse. Personally i think it should be banned
Re: Houseboy, Housegirl, And Driver by nalijah07(f): 6:10pm On Jun 17, 2008
Is it really popular to have househelp. What is the percentage rate that has househelp or Drivers?

(1) (Reply)

The Root Of The Name "bini' - Taught By Exotic / How To Identify A Nigerian. / *wait Ooo* Have You Seen An Igbo Beggar Before? If Yes, Where?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.