Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,241 members, 7,818,824 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:56 AM

The Family Section Fun Room!! - Family (88) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Family Section Fun Room!! (740770 Views)

Fraudulent Threads In The Family Section Of NL!!! We Don Casssssh Dem!!!!! / Are You A Happily Married Man? Family Section Needs You / Happy Birthday To Family Section's World Famous Leapling (CHAIRCOVER) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (504) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by yokis(f): 4:37pm On Oct 25, 2013
Good afternoon house
Guess evry1 is enjoying their day!!!

Learnt baking From my mom,
Can do icing to some extent anyway.
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 25, 2013
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 25, 2013
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 25, 2013
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 5:30pm On Oct 25, 2013
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by EfemenaXY: 5:36pm On Oct 25, 2013
^^ Sort of resembles your average Christmas pudding.

Do you bake your Christmas cake as a substitute for the pudding? Come to think of it CC, do you cook your entire Christmas dinner from scratch? Forget the turkey, roasted potatoes, carrots, Brussel sprouts and stuffing. I'm talking about minced pies and the other 'accessories'...
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 5:37pm On Oct 25, 2013
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 5:37pm On Oct 25, 2013
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 5:44pm On Oct 25, 2013
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 5:47pm On Oct 25, 2013
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 5:53pm On Oct 25, 2013
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by EfemenaXY: 6:07pm On Oct 25, 2013
chaircover:

Mba oooo! I buy everything that I can buy, so I buy mince pies, Christmas pudding etc.

I do the Christmas dinner myself though with a bit of cheating on the roast potatoes . . I use frozen roast potatoes lipsrsealed

*** Gasps! ***

CC you cheat on the potatoes??!! shocked shocked grin grin

I peel, boil and roast mine - tricky but I do it well cheesy

How do you do your turkey though? I've tried and tried doing it the English / British way but it never works. It's such a dry, hard bird and the family didn't like my way of cooking it undecided

So, I reverted to the Naija way of doing it jare. Deforsted the bird for 24 hours then put it in a huge pot, then added Curry, Maggi, Thyme, Nutmeg, Onion, Salt and red pepper and let it slow boil for a few hours. Afterwhich I lightly glazed the boiled turkey with a brush of sunflower oil, rosemary and added the stuffing within it before roasting.

To say it was a success is an understatement o! Normally on boxing day, you're meant to make turkey sandwiches with the left overs but we don't have any left overs! So every Christmas, I roast 2 huge turkeys grin grin

How d'you prepare yours?
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by bellong: 6:27pm On Oct 25, 2013
To all intending students of our new fun room catering school, please forward your application fee of $500 only to me while the forms be forwarded to CC and Chillisauce.

Efemena and YPP will conduct the screening exercise while Damsel and Roy are noted to supervise the screening... grin
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 6:36pm On Oct 25, 2013
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 6:41pm On Oct 25, 2013
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 6:45pm On Oct 25, 2013
Photo of the day!

smiley

Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 25, 2013
^^^ RR and Amarula tongue
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 6:47pm On Oct 25, 2013
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by EfemenaXY: 6:51pm On Oct 25, 2013
chaircover: LOL I cheat on the potatoes oooo . . .Aunty Bessie do lovely frozen potatoes embarassed . . I also cheat on the gravy and I buy ready made gravy embarassed

A few years ago we discovered live free range turkeys. They are pretty expensive at about £50 for a bird depending on the size but they taste much better than the frozen ones and even though every year I complain about the price, I still buy them year after year. .

The farmer delivers it killed and cleaned on the 23rd or Christmas eve and we just leave it outside in the shed cos its pretty cold in dec.

On the morning, I do a maggi/salt/butter/rosemary mix and rub it on and in the turkey. I then Stuff it with heaps of bacon to give it flavor and use a toothpick to seal the ends and I cover the whole turkey with strips of bacon to keep the outside moist when I roast it. I cover it with foil and baste the turkey every half an hour or so. I also turn it round once if I have the liver to lol. cos that is very hard to do. I also leave the turkey in the oven for a while after roasting to let all the juices settle down again.

I also perfectly time my cooking times and oven temp and So far the turkey is moist and tasty, but I am going to try your method too cos it does def sound like a good one. I will make sure they are all drunk on my brandy xmas cake so they wont notice if I get the turkey wrong this year cheesy

I don't really make my gravy from scratch either o! I buy the turkey-flavoured gravy granules from Morrisson's, so it's just a matter of adding boiled water to it and then viola!

So you get live turkey then? Sounds good o! But does the farmer pluck out every single hair properly? At least when I buy them frozen, that's one less thing to worry about.

No one likes minced pies so I just bake Naija-styled meat pies but with curried minced beef, boiled potatoes and carrots within it. I also use self-raising flour for cakes in making mine to give it that extra oomphy taste tongue tongue

Don't worry, you can't go wrong with my method of preparing the turkey - but if in doubt, make some jollof / fried rice as your back-up plan! cheesy cheesy

Christmas is indeed fun jare - so very much to do and those games after the dinner - pulling out crackers and guessing the answers to the quizz...ah...and we (or I) finish it off with listening to the Queen's speech smiley

I've carefully omitted Presents (groans) under the tree, stockings on the stairway and going to Mass in the mornings... cheesy cheesy
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by EfemenaXY: 6:53pm On Oct 25, 2013
Chillisauce: Photo of the day!

smiley

That pic looks suicidal and the bride looks nervous - you can tell from the way she's clutching onto the groom for dear life lipsrsealed embarassed
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 7:02pm On Oct 25, 2013
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 7:08pm On Oct 25, 2013
My Xmas is always spent in parents or parents:inlaw house. Na dem dey cook oh, me i go just dress the table and put wine glasses, siddon dey wait for food grin.

I don't even know how they plug the fowl, or rabbit sef.
But this Xmas, I will try bake cake Sha, or as usual go with plenty chocolate bought from marche
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 7:09pm On Oct 25, 2013
Efemena_xy:

That pic looks suicidal and the bride looks nervous - you can tell from the way she's clutching onto the groom for dear life lipsrsealed embarassed

See her shoes na, she looks good though but the hubby really resemble lipsrsealed. Feeling funky
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by EfemenaXY: 7:15pm On Oct 25, 2013
lol @ adults becoming kids and kids becoming the adults!

It's allowed jare. All that fuss in the name of xmas - I love it!

Do you do the same for Easter?

I'm still trying to get the hang of it, but lamb is such a no-no. Even with my Naija cheating cooking style, it just didn't work. The meat is so... urgh!

I even prefer goat meat to lamb! grin grin

Abeg correct me if I'm wrong:

Christmas breakfast (pancakes)...lunch (turkey and all the trimmings)... games (quizzes)...decorations (mistletoe, presents, Christmas tree, etc)

Easter breakfast (hot cross buns)...lunch (lamb, potatoes, carrots and brussel sprouts)...games Easter Egg hunt...decorations (Chocolate eggs, bunny basket, yellow lillies)...

Abeg, have I missed out anything??
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by amarula(f): 7:16pm On Oct 25, 2013
Chillisauce: ^^^ RR and Amarula tongue

Yepaaa! Where did u get this from? Me and my RR make a finer couple than this o!

Hello pple.
Nice to see the love flowing.
It was a good week for me, hope it was for you too? Wishing u all a good weekend.
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by EfemenaXY: 7:17pm On Oct 25, 2013
Chillisauce:

See her shoes na, she looks good though but the hubby really resemble lipsrsealed. Feeling funky

Abeg, that pic is so uncool jare.
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 7:23pm On Oct 25, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Abeg, that pic is so uncool jare.
You don't know what's up! Everywhere is green, showing sign of good life smiley
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 7:36pm On Oct 25, 2013
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by EfemenaXY: 8:09pm On Oct 25, 2013
^^ Throw the dishes in the dishwasher CC. That's what they're there for. Then get the kids to clean up after themselves smiley smiley

Chillisauce:
You don't know what's up! Everywhere is green, showing sign of good life smiley

Lol!

Till she loses her footing and breaks a leg!
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by Nobody: 8:36pm On Oct 25, 2013
See cake everywhere!
I cast and bind!
U guys didn't c me.

Una goodnite o!
I no fit talk.
All my body be like say they panel beat me.
I can't even cry.
Upon d fact that I exercise I be like this,if I no dey exercise nko?

Futball no be am at all!
Guys, una dey try o!
My bed,here I come,
Accept my boriiiiiiiiii
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by RoyalRoy(m): 8:41pm On Oct 25, 2013
Chillisauce: ^^^ RR and Amarula tongue

Buhahahaha.

You will soon be banned from this room!!!!

I love the early Xmas awareness. Y'all making a man feel like......***mouth sealed****

That couple up in the trees....modern day Adam and Eve I believe.

Creativity-Jungle-Style!!
Re: The Family Section Fun Room!! by RoyalRoy(m): 8:46pm On Oct 25, 2013
yellowpawpaw: See cake everywhere!
I cast and bind!
U guys didn't c me.

Una goodnite o!
I no fit talk.
All my body be like say they panel beat me.
I can't even cry.
Upon d fact that I exercise I be like this,if I no dey exercise nko?

Futball no be am at all!
Guys, una dey try o!
My bed,here I come,
Accept my boriiiiiiiiii

YPp....my amiable somebody!!!!

How many goals you score o?

Sorry....your body needs more exercise then. Buy ball for junior make two of una dey tip-tap regularly.

Sleep well....lucky tomorrow is Saturday....enjoy the extra hours.

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (504) (Reply)

House Clearance Sales.. Come In Here!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.