Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? (2862 Views)

What Lagos And Its Environs Looked Like In The 40's-60’s (photos) / This Is Ajose Adeogun, VI Lagos And Not New York City. / 20 Most Dangerous Bus Stops To Avoid In Lagos And Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by skyone(m): 9:40am On Jun 13, 2008
Every year thousand of geography and urban planner students are graduating from various universities in Nigeria and get employed in councils yet nothing to write home about in regards to urban and rural development. No parks, no sport ground, nothing; why?

What is the main cause of this? It only cost £50,000=N11,500,000. to construct a very good park, an amount to build a standard duplex. What's really happening to Nigeria social life?
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by ifyalways(f): 11:45am On Jun 13, 2008
do the people really have time for fun,relaxation and amusement in nigeria anymore?the quest for fame and money,struggles to make ends meet,huzzling with the very pitiful economy are some of the factors that have killed such tots and ideas.we do have our own type of fun and relaxation in our own way.visit the beer joints,the motor parks  cheesy and see things 4 yourself.fun imade in nigeria fro the average nigerian.The buses,palmmy joints,coupon office are all fun.lol swimming tru the over flooded streets is enough fun for some. grin
For the records though,there are parks in lagos,lots of it,one of them is the water parks,ikeja  tongue
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by skyone(m): 11:55am On Jun 13, 2008
True but an open parks i meant with green grasses

It brings joy and good feelings even though the money is not there. In Essex here there are also destitutes but they still get happy by visiting the parks.
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by ifyalways(f): 12:01pm On Jun 13, 2008
And where do you think the land for "such things " would come from?when most of the cities is 101% over populated,from whence would it come?Its either a main Mkt or shopping plaza   cheesy nyways,try Obudu cattle ranch  cheesy
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by 2Legit: 1:02pm On Jun 13, 2008
This is nonsense.
Must naija have parks because it serves essex people well?
Nigerians know how to have fun without parks where people with no life go to seek pleasure.
If I want to have fun, I step out and have a laugh with Iya Ngozi across the road or I sit down for my neighbours beer parlour where we are free to talk as we like about anything from politics to sports, without silly regulations.
You guys cant do it because you have to sit inside pubs and observe so much regulations. Parks are good but we dont need them to be happy and to have fun. Take your foreign mentality and keep it where you are
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by skyone(m): 5:15pm On Jun 13, 2008
2Legit:

This is nonsense.
Must naija have parks because it serves essex people well?
Nigerians know how to have fun without parks where people with no life go to seek pleasure.
If I want to have fun, I step out and have a laugh with Iya Ngozi across the road or I sit down for my neighbours beer parlour where we are free to talk as we like about anything from politics to sports, without silly regulations.
You guys can't do it because you have to sit inside pubs and observe so much regulations. Parks are good but we don't need them to be happy and to have fun. Take your foreign mentality and keep it where you are

Definitely you are not a town planner and from your intellect i can tell you cant see through the basis of this dabate.
Truly we Nijas are not conservative but it doesn't mean the country should be choked up with garbage smokes, un planned streets etc and what about the children, come on
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by Seun(m): 5:27pm On Jun 13, 2008
If you want green grass, go to a village. Overcrowded cities are generally not places to find grass!
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by landis(m): 5:39pm On Jun 13, 2008
If you want green grass, go to a village.  Overcrowded cities are generally not places to find grass!

Great Cities have Parks.

In NY, Tokyo, Singapore,  etc.

Lagos has no excuse. We are just backward and lazy. 

For instance, the whole area of National Thearte could be turned to Park.etc

Wait, I know why; there would be all sorts of crime since there is no NEPA.
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by skyone(m): 5:40pm On Jun 13, 2008
Seun:

If you want green grass, go to a village. Overcrowded cities are generally not places to find grass!

over crowded cities i.e  Nigeria and this's the more reason why there should be urban planning.
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by skyone(m): 5:42pm On Jun 13, 2008
landis:

Great Cities have Parks.

Lagos has no excuse. We are just backward and lazy.

Agreed
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by Mustay(m): 5:59pm On Jun 16, 2008
There are in lagos; probably there are not as many as the author expects

I know of three at Ikeja and one at The secretariat
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by Tonim(f): 6:28pm On Jun 16, 2008
There is the Millennium park - abuja. It's probably the best in the country

Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by Mustay(m): 9:59am On Jun 17, 2008
abuja no be the same with lagos
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by MethodMan3(m): 11:00am On Jun 17, 2008
Park no dey lagos becoz street urchins would take over the place

Ashawo women sef go conduct business there and beggars go lounge for the zone 24/7
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by Tonim(f): 4:12pm On Jun 17, 2008
Method-Man:

Park no dey lagos becoz street urchins would take over the place

Ashawo women sef go conduct business there and beggars go lounge for the zone 24/7

lol

I guess the private sector can help build one for us (giving back to the community)
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by manmustwac(m): 8:59pm On Jun 17, 2008
where is the land to build parks in lagos? theres hardly any space for our youths to have a decent game of football talkless of parks talkless of build parks. And even if they build any open park with green grass it will only be a matter of time before the Govt would start encroaching the land with houses.
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by Vallo57(m): 5:05am On Jun 18, 2008
manmustwac:

where is the land to build parks in lagos? theres hardly any space for our youths to have a decent game of football talkless of parks talkless of build parks. And even if they build any open park with green grass it will only be a matter of time before the Govt would start encroaching the land with houses.

There used to be Parks all over Lagos and thanks to greedy politician and the Military they divided the land among themselves. Some of these parks are Onikan(now Muson Center), Ikoyi park and Rowe Park to name a few.
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by Mustay(m): 9:37am On Jun 18, 2008
There are parks in lagos ah!
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by londoner: 2:41pm On Jun 18, 2008
Abuja has an abundance of parks. I saw at least one in every neighbourhood within the city, that I visited. There are lots of green areas and green initiatives for the city all over the place.

Lagos may be a different story, I dont know.
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by skyone(m): 7:07pm On Jun 18, 2008
londoner:

Abuja has an abundance of parks. I saw at least one in every neighbourhood within the city, that I visited. There are lots of green areas and green initiatives for the city all over the place.

Lagos may be a different story, I don't know.

that's y i specified Lagos
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by londoner: 7:40pm On Jun 18, 2008
@Skyone, you actually stated lagos and other states. If it was just Lagos, I would not have said anything. Calabar is also well known for its green areas and has its own Millenium park.
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by manmustwac(m): 8:42pm On Jun 18, 2008
Well even if parks dey lagos thier not as common as here in london. Their a scarce commodity
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by 2Legit: 3:32pm On Aug 27, 2008
Every year thousand of geography and urban planner students are graduating from various universities in Nigeria and get employed in councils yet nothing to write home about in regards to urban and rural development. No parks, no sport ground, nothing; why?

What is the main cause of this? It only cost £50,000=N11,500,000. to construct a very good park, an amount to build a standard duplex. What's really happening to Nigeria social life?

Na parks dey give social life? why UK no get social life wey come be say na only to frink and get drunk and misbehave be dem social life?

abeg make we hear word. Naija get social life

Parks sef dey good but make you no talk nonsense by relating park to social life
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by blacksta(m): 8:41pm On Apr 06, 2009
2Legit:

Na parks dey give social life? why UK no get social life wey come be say na only to frink and get drunk and misbehave be dem social life?

abeg make we hear word. Naija get social life

Parks sef dey good but make you no talk nonsense by relating park to social life

now you are yawning nonsense - we need open space
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by GAR3TH(m): 11:25pm On Apr 06, 2009
The Lagos Green movement is really doing a good job. Check out the New Marina in lagos (pictured), soon you'll start seeing parks all over lagos.

Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by eddy1977(m): 12:47pm On May 15, 2009
there are no parks in nigeria to prevent public sex cheesy
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by ikeyman00(m): 5:09pm On May 15, 2009
i think there are parks in enugu,

can anyone confirm if they are still there

eze park, polo park me right?
Re: Why Is There No Park In Lagos And Other States? by londoner: 12:22pm On May 16, 2009
gar3th, Iwouldn't say what you posted is a park in the true sense of the word. It looks more like a walkway.

(1) (Reply)

Uk Student Need To Apply For Usa Tourist Visa: / Hotels In Calabar / Cheapest Flight To South Africa??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.