Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,194 members, 7,829,271 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

The Dilemma Of A Nigerian Athiest - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Dilemma Of A Nigerian Athiest (740 Views)

Why Do Athiest Belief There Is No GOD? / How To Debate Or Argue With An Athiest / Athiest Claim: If God Existed, Prayer Would Have Brought World Peace? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dilemma Of A Nigerian Athiest by plaetton: 5:28am On Sep 01, 2013
Living in a civilized state, the the religious beliefs of others, whether christian, Moslem, Buddhist,Zoroastrian , etc does not, in any way, affect your life. You would hardly notice.

But , living in Nigeria, the religious beliefs of others, your neighbors, your friends, your relatives, etc, does effect you, whether you like it or not.

A recent nairaland post credited to a former British expat in our oil industry says that Nigerians can tolerate just about any moral or ethical malfeasance from friends and colleagues, but the one malfeasance they simply cannot tolerate is a person who does not attend church , mosque or any any other form of religious service. That is is the one that the society stands firmly against.

Most atheists are people at peace with themselves, their environments, their communities, their social, moral and ethical responsibilities. In an ideal secular state , the atheist has no problems.

But in a society like Nigeria, I often wonder as to what is the responsibility of an atheists.
In a place like Nigeria where individual rights are easily trampled upon, how should an atheists defend his rights?
How should an atheists defend his community and his country from the debilitating effects of what are clearly religious beliefs that tend to dislocate and poison the moral and ethical landscapes of his community?

From noise pollution to traffic gridlocks on the Lagos Ibadan express.
There is no single day that a half literate m.or.on does not barge into office, confront me on the road, on the bus, and in even in my home to promote one church program or another.

On one occasion I impulsively reacted violently on a young man for putting a religious sticker on my vehicle without my permission. I did feel bad afterwards for perhaps, overacting.

It seems quite easy for atheists, agnostics, deist and other non-consumers of religious BS to bury their heads in the sand and pretend to be indifferent to the toxic religious fumes that circulate around them.

But the dilemma is how can anyone be indifferent to the ills of his environment, and also, how can one speak up or do something without feeling like an intolerant bigot?

i believe that no matter how enlightened, pure, or spiritual that a person is, it is impossible and quite impossible to isolate one's self from the social ,moral and ethical dislocations in one's community or nation.

Everyday in the news, we read and hear of the many scandals and catastrophic events directly associated and linked to religion and activities of religious men.
At what point does an atheist, agnostic, deist or a pagan become active in checkmating and confronting these abuses by religious nuts and the numerous tragic cases of misplaced trust?

When can an atheists become a community activists without the constant fear of being called or labelled a bigot, an evangelistic atheist, or an intolerant religious persecutor?

If Tb joshua, Adeboye or any other fraudster goes on public TV to make wild unsubstantiated, and potentially dangerous claims, is it within the rights and duties of an activist atheist to take the same public forum to repudiate them?

I think that a degenerate, debilitating religion of fraud by fraudsters is damaging our social, moral and ethical landscape.

Do we all have a patriotic responsibility to step up and confront it?
Re: The Dilemma Of A Nigerian Athiest by Nobody: 5:49am On Sep 01, 2013
It goes beyond patriotism, we owe it to our society to speak out. And it is so much easier these days thanks to social media, remember LB's letter to the Muslims.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Nigerian Athiest by UyiIredia(m): 6:37am On Sep 01, 2013
I think it's quite easier to be a deist than an atheist since deist's can say they believe in God. The video below explains a deist's dilemma in 2 short minutes. What an atheist said about my deism being a transitional state before being atheist was laughable and annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxHWq-94nfg&nomobile=1&gl=US&guid=&client=mv-google&hl=en-GB
Re: The Dilemma Of A Nigerian Athiest by plaetton: 6:43am On Sep 01, 2013
Uyi Iredia: I think it's quite easier to be a deist than an atheist since deist's can say they believe in God. The video below explains a deist's dilemma in 2 short minutes. What an atheist said about my deism being a transitional state before being atheist was laughable and annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxHWq-94nfg&nomobile=1&gl=US&guid=&client=mv-google&hl=en-GB

My point is about the role of non-religious people to checkmate the abuses and the negative social and moral dislocations caused by evangelical superstitions and mercantilism.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Nigerian Athiest by tobechi74: 8:17am On Sep 01, 2013
You were aware of this before embracing atheism. Why the complaint? You chose yourr path
Re: The Dilemma Of A Nigerian Athiest by Nobody: 8:19am On Sep 01, 2013
Thanks for the op, Plaetton!

I have been trying to say this for months on NL!

There will come a time to speak up on religious intolerance.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Nigerian Athiest by Nobody: 8:20am On Sep 01, 2013
tobechi74: You were aware of this before embracing atheism. Why the complaint? You chose yourr path

Nope....most of us dont realise how intolerant mamy religious people are until we become irreligious

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of A Nigerian Athiest by iamswizz(m): 8:40am On Sep 01, 2013
Sometimes, you begin to wonder why seun does not attend any function or comes out in public.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Nigerian Athiest by MrTroll(m): 10:27am On Sep 01, 2013
tobechi74: You were aware of this before embracing atheism. Why the complaint? You chose yourr path
You should be ashamed of yourself for this comment.angry
Re: The Dilemma Of A Nigerian Athiest by UyiIredia(m): 11:38am On Sep 01, 2013
Logicboy03:

Nope....most of us dont realise how intolerant mamy religious people are until we become irreligious

Tolerance has its limits which is usually justified by people on the long end of the sick and despised by victims.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Nigerian Athiest by Nobody: 12:46pm On Sep 01, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Tolerance has its limits which is usually justified by people on the long end of the sick and despised by victims.

Well said
Re: The Dilemma Of A Nigerian Athiest by engrtee(f): 2:00pm On Sep 01, 2013
Atheists are crying
Re: The Dilemma Of A Nigerian Athiest by plaetton: 3:05pm On Sep 01, 2013
engrtee: Atheists are crying

Yes, if the problems caused by religion in our country does not make you want to cry, then I don't what could.

We are not wallowing in self-pity here. No.
We are talking about standing up and challenging the rapaciou conmen of bling bling Christianity, violent and intolerant Islam, and promoting true secularism as enshrined in our constitution.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Nigerian Athiest by bolaino(m): 6:52pm On Sep 01, 2013
@op, very nice topic, and a very very sensitive one at that, this is something that needs real discussion about, the negative effects on our society is very debilitating, and it has caused more problems for this country, religious zealots are dying everyday because of ignorance, but can u give food to someone who doesn't want to eat?

There's a saying that u can only take the donkey to the stream, but u can not force it to drink from the stream, I believe every freethinker here became a freethinker from his or her own volition, personally, I searched for what I thought to be the truth before I arrived at freethinking, I had practiced various religions, and I discovered that they were all about the same thing, and that is control, religion is all about control, but my point is that I ventured out to search for the truth with an open mind, only an open palm can receive, a closed fist can not receive.

In the case of our country, I do not think or believe that majority of Nigerians are willing to accept the notion of the non existence of God, cos the idea of a personal God has been enshrined into the very hearts of most Nigerians, what I think we should do, as freethinkers, is to make information readily available for people who genuinely want to seek for knowledge, cos if we are not careful we might end up being bigoted like the very people we seek to enlighten, cos right now, I can assure u that most atheists feel that anybody who embraces religion has not seen the light, so we have to be careful,

@op, very beautiful and insightful post.

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of A Nigerian Athiest by ninja4life(m): 7:36pm On Sep 01, 2013
bolaino: @op, very nice topic, and a very very sensitive one at that, this is something that needs real discussion about, the negative effects on our society is very debilitating, and it has caused more problems for this country, religious zealots are dying everyday because of ignorance, but can u give food to someone who doesn't want to eat?

There's a saying that u can only take the donkey to the stream, but u can not force it to drink from the stream, I believe every freethinker here became a freethinker from his or her own volition, personally, I searched for what I thought to be the truth before I arrived at freethinking, I had practiced various religions, and I discovered that they were all about the same thing, and that is control, religion is all about control, but my point is that I ventured out to search for the truth with an open mind, only an open palm can receive, a closed fist can not receive.

In the case of our country, I do not think or believe that majority of Nigerians are willing to accept the notion of the non existence of God, cos the idea of a personal God has been enshrined into the very hearts of most Nigerians, what I think we should do, as freethinkers, is to make information readily available for people who genuinely want to seek for knowledge, cos if we are not careful we might end up being bigoted like the very people we seek to enlighten, cos right now, I can assure u that most atheists feel that anybody who embraces religion has not seen the light, so we have to be careful,

@op, very beautiful and insightful post.
well said

(1) (Reply)

Yes, its true, Tithe Works / Interfaith Cooperation: A Call For Peace / Boko Haram And The Nigerian Christian - An Article

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.