Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,224 members, 7,811,622 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:53 PM

Please I Need Ur Advice About My Career. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please I Need Ur Advice About My Career. (751 Views)

I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? / My Career Dilemma / Pls I'm Confused I Need Advise On My Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Need Ur Advice About My Career. by premoladex(f): 1:05am On Sep 04, 2013
Please nairalanders i just finished my secondary school these year and i want to study computer engineering in d university,so i told my father that i want to go for 3month computer trainin on microsoft office[microsoft word,corel draw etc] trainin.But,my dad sed it doesnt need,he sed wen i gain admission into university,he sed i wud b taught.bt i am scared dat it might affect me if i dont do d trainin b4 i gain admission pls can any computer engineering student advice me on dat? Shud i do d trainin or wait till i gain admission?
Re: Please I Need Ur Advice About My Career. by premoladex(f): 1:06am On Sep 04, 2013
premoladex: Please nairalanders i just finished my secondary school these year and i want to study computer engineering in d university,so i told my father that i want to go for 3month computer trainin on microsoft office[microsoft word,corel draw etc] trainin.But,my dad sed it doesnt need,he sed wen i gain admission into university,he sed i wud b taught.bt i am scared dat it might affect me if i dont do d trainin b4 i gain admission pls can any computer engineering student advice me on dat? Shud i do d trainin or wait till i gain admission?
Re: Please I Need Ur Advice About My Career. by Minorsegment: 1:58am On Sep 04, 2013
This is a very good question @ op.. I finished 4rm sec sch dis yr shaa but was quite un4tunate I couldn't secure admission dis yr 4 sme reasons... I love this question cos most of my frnds @ home think the only criterion 4 pursuing computer engineering as a course in a tertiary institution is going 4 computer lessons @ home..lol.. It helps shaa but that's not actually the case... You need to mk sure that u have a very strong math background cos u'll be dealing much with discrete math, number theorem, complex numbers, calculus,, etc... You should as well be good in solving physics problems especially those in classical mecahanics n electromagnetism... You can still go 4 a computer lesson anyway but let it not stop u 4rm studying 4 ur Utme, cos u won't possibly get admission to pursue ur career without passing tru d required processes.. I hope this helps.
Re: Please I Need Ur Advice About My Career. by Emasel(m): 2:18pm On Sep 04, 2013
premoladex: Please nairalanders i just finished my secondary school these year and i want to study computer engineering in d university,so i told my father that i want to go for 3month computer trainin on microsoft office[microsoft word,corel draw etc] trainin.But,my dad sed it doesnt need,he sed wen i gain admission into university,he sed i wud b taught.bt i am scared dat it might affect me if i dont do d trainin b4 i gain admission pls can any computer engineering student advice me on dat? Shud i do d trainin or wait till i gain admission?

Training in Microsoft office will help you as an undergraduate of computer engineering but is not a necessary criteria for studying computer engineering.Infact computer engineering is very similar to Electrical/Electronics Engineering.You will do virtually do the same as Elect/Elect Engr students until your final year before u will major in Computer Engineering.This is not to dissuade you from studying Computer Engineering but personally I will recommend Computer Science as it is more lucrative and has more applications in industries than the Computer Engineer.
The Computer Engineer studies basically hardware and Communication Systems and Networks but the Computer Scientist studies Software Development,Networking,Software Engineering and lots more.The various programs are developed by the Computer Scientists so in actual sense He/She is more useful than the Computer Engineer.
I am a graduate of Electrical/Electronics Engineering,so I am telling u this from experience.I hope I have been able to answer your question
Re: Please I Need Ur Advice About My Career. by Emasel(m): 2:18pm On Sep 04, 2013

Training in Microsoft office will help you as an undergraduate of computer engineering but is not a necessary criteria for studying computer engineering.Infact computer engineering is very similar to Electrical/Electronics Engineering.You will do virtually do the same as Elect/Elect Engr students until your final year before u will major in Computer Engineering.This is not to dissuade you from studying Computer Engineering but personally I will recommend Computer Science as it is more lucrative and has more applications in industries than the Computer Engineer.
The Computer Engineer studies basically hardware and Communication Systems and Networks but the Computer Scientist studies Software Development,Networking,Software Engineering and lots more.The various programs are developed by the Computer Scientists so in actual sense He/She is more useful than the Computer Engineer.
I am a graduate of Electrical/Electronics Engineering,so I am telling u this from experience.I hope I have been able to answer your question

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Ur Advice About My Career. by lockedOut: 1:40pm On Sep 10, 2013
@OP congratulations on your graduation, You won't be taught anything related to Microsoft office in the university while studying computer engineering.

if you you really love computer engineering then go for it, I would surely like to know why you want to study computer engineering and what your aspirations are, e.g what you want to do after graduation, work full time or go into lecturing. While computer engineering is a good course of study Microsoft office will not necessarily aid i you in your course directly, anyway but you may never know.

If you would go for the training, I will advise you focus more on Excel (a very powerful tool) and try as much as possible to understand what you have paid for. For most people that do the training they tend to forget what they were taught after 2 years but at least they understand the basics. Most entry level jobs in Nigeria will require you to know at least how to use the Microsoft word.

If the time you will spend at home before gaining admission is far, it would be good to go for the training (most IT schools have become an adult jeki ile osinmi) so it would be good to acquire more knowledge.

(1) (Reply)

Things You Should Remove From Your CV Now / . / Plssss When Is The 2014 Nigerian Airforce Recruitment Form Coming Out?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.