Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,595 members, 7,809,155 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:46 AM

A Thread For Poultry Owners - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A Thread For Poultry Owners (15082 Views)

A Thread For Graduates Of Electrical/electronics Engineering Seeking For Jobs / A Thread For Nigerian Army Applicants / A Thread For Job Interview Gate Crashers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Thread For Poultry Owners by Morgan1092(m): 6:23am On Sep 04, 2013
This thread is open for all intended/poultry owners. Here we are going to share ideas on various ways to protect our birds from various sicknesses dat attack them ranging from Flu, cough, warm etc.
Interested Nairalanders shld start by telling us how many birds u have and ways u do tek care of dem.
As for me (smiles), am new in d business so i only have 20 birds (15 broilers n 5 cockcrel). Though they are for my family's consumption and not for sale. I just want to know how gud i can do with this little b4 i go in for much.
Over to you guys.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by harlos: 6:45am On Sep 04, 2013
I took care of 20 birds last year though for family consumption, 5 died cos i was a novice then and manage to raise 15, all consumed.
I still love to do it again but dis time it will be for business purpose, starting with small unit.
I have list of some prescribed drugs and how to use them,but i still need to know more about them cos we're going into business now and losing 5 out of 20 will be much if should happen again undecided

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by Morgan1092(m): 7:37am On Sep 04, 2013
harlos: I took care of 20 birds last year though for family consumption, 5 died cos i was a novice then and manage to raise 15, all consumed.
I still love to do it again but dis time it will be for business purpose, starting with small unit.
I have list of some prescribed drugs and how to use them,but i still need to know more about them cos we're going into business now and losing 5 out of 20 will be much if should happen again undecided
Did u notice any changes b4 d died? cos if u did that wud help u well dis time.

Meanwhile, 3 of my birds re having cough, and i have given dem drugs dat i bought 4rm d woman dat breed dem. Do u knw d name of the drug i can use to champion dis?
Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by harlos: 7:57am On Sep 04, 2013
Morgan1092: Did u notice any changes b4 d died? cos if u did that wud help u well dis time.

Meanwhile, 3 of my birds re having cough, and i have given dem drugs dat i bought 4rm d woman dat breed dem. Do u knw d name of the drug i can use to champion dis?
what noticed before they died was that,they stop running towards me when i'm approaching thier cage, their feathers will go down like they use it to cover thier legs...
About the cough i've forgotten which drug i use, unless i see the paper the man wrote for me.
I breed them then as a trial undecidedundecided
Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by oly4jesus(f): 5:03pm On Sep 04, 2013
am an animal scientist seeking for job 08032193086 or spea2anel212@yahoo.com
Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by sirugos(m): 9:57pm On Sep 04, 2013
1500 is currently in my farm. They are laying normal. Though am targeting another 500 broilers for Xmas business. My poultry attendance are working fine. Just that my second sets pullets.. Have coccidiouses which am treating them. But will soon be fine

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by spikesC(m): 10:00pm On Sep 04, 2013
Any dog owner here have German shepherd puppy for sale?

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by Seanixking: 10:03pm On Sep 04, 2013
[/i][i] cn a nairalander cal me a cop coz my chicken has started a coup.
Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by AreaFada2: 10:05pm On Sep 04, 2013
Great thread.

This is what we need as FP news not totoh decay and bba.

I hope to go into animal husbandary but only if I get sincere staff to do it without my direct supervision. Doing so in absentia is difficult.
Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by Big4wig(m): 10:07pm On Sep 04, 2013
So if i no get fowl,i no go comment...

END TIME TINZ JOR

Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by Kenny4lyfe(m): 10:14pm On Sep 04, 2013
Great! I started with about 17 Cockrel chicks in February this year! Now I have 9 fully grown cockrels for my family! grin grin
We butchered one last weekend! Hmmnnn... delicious!
Plus I'm a pharmacist so I know a thing or two to keep them free from infections! Most of the onces I lost was to my neighbours dog and sometimes heavy rainfall!
I plan to go commercial soon! grin
#TeamFreshAir grin

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:17pm On Sep 04, 2013
Good Job Nairalanderz.

Take care of your animals as you would take care of your own children. (until the point they reach una plate)

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by OmerianConsult: 10:21pm On Sep 04, 2013
A client has noodle waste in large quantity and it's a good feed for poultry, fish and pigs feed. 08132232989, 08188360168
Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by OmerianConsult: 10:22pm On Sep 04, 2013
A client has noodle waste in large quantity and it's a good feed for poultry, fish and pigs. 08132232989, 08188360168
Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by femora007(m): 10:23pm On Sep 04, 2013
[color=#990000][/color] does any one know where to get guineafowl and geese in ile-ife or akure. And how can i deal with snakes in poultry?
Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by femora007(m): 10:23pm On Sep 04, 2013
[color=#990000][/color]does any one know where to get guineafowl and geese in ile-ife or akure. And how can i deal with snakes in poultry?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by Opey4luv(m): 10:28pm On Sep 04, 2013
Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by ennydoc: 10:29pm On Sep 04, 2013
Poultry rearing is a very nice thing to do, and rules regarding their upkeep quite lax when it's for personal consumption.

However, when done for commercial purposes, one has a moral obligation to protect consumers by restricting medication to when required only.

Good management practices would prevent a lot of poultry diseases.

And get a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine involved in your poultry.

All the best.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by Nobody: 10:31pm On Sep 04, 2013
I have about 2500 layer all caged doing fine poultry is in ekiti if you need a practical advice u can mail me..or if you are a newbie are my signature u can also mail me if you are interested in checking my farm thanks

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by strangest(m): 10:39pm On Sep 04, 2013
Has anyone bought from Obasanjo's farm?
Do you know of the drug "ATTACK"?
Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by Realdeals(m): 10:44pm On Sep 04, 2013
Anyone that eat chicken or Turkey must post on this thread...its compulsory o! you should all remember that Christmas is coming.
Are you a farmer, Agricultural researchers, commodities trader, consultant, agricultural policy maker or passionate about food? Let your voice be heard in the Agriculture Industry, register on the online Agriculture community at http://www. and explore the wide range od opportunities in the Agric value chain
Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by Strongbest(m): 10:50pm On Sep 04, 2013
Wow, m rlli in love wit diz topic... I hav kept lyk 25 layers b4, I lost lyk 4 or so. Twaz rlli interestin. Bt d cost of feed hmmmm...made gud cash later sellin dem off as old layers sha. Now m planning of goin into it big tym! Still tryn to see if wld still b able to catch up wit diz xmaz biz. Wld b keeping lyk 500 - 700 or more broilerz. Still tryn to raise enof cash dat wld takia of dem frm brooding stage to mature stage. Hav gotten an uncompleted buildin to use bt hav to roof n fix net and put oder neccessary tinz in place. Wld let u guyz knw how far soon. coolWow, m rlli in love wit diz topic... I hav kept lyk 25 layers b4, I lost lyk 4 or so. Twaz rlli interestin. Bt d cost of feed hmmmm...made gud cash later sellin dem off as old layers sha. Now m planning of goin into it big tym! Still tryn to see if I wld still b able to catch up wit diz xmaz biz. Wld b keeping lyk 500 - 700 or more broilerz. Still tryn to raise enof cash dat wld takia of dem frm brooding stage to mature stage. Hav gotten an uncompleted buildin to use bt hav to roof n fix net and put oder neccessary tinz in place. Wld let u guyz knw how far soon.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by iyaayi(f): 10:53pm On Sep 04, 2013
Morgan1092: Did u notice any changes b4 d died? cos if u did that wud help u well dis time.

Ask d local vet shop for tylosin based antibiotic

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by chukmeister: 10:54pm On Sep 04, 2013
This is really nice Nigerian youths r reaso ing well not gisting about celebrities and all crap .I'm a banker and hav nursed this poultry stuff in my mind a big dream I want accomplised I read industrial microbiology in school and really hav love for animals how do I start ?need anoda source of income and how much would I need??thanks people kudos

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by iyaayi(f): 10:55pm On Sep 04, 2013
Strongbest: Wow, m rlli in love wit diz topic... I hav kept lyk 25 layers b4, I lost lyk 4 or so. Twaz rlli interestin. Bt d cost of feed hmmmm...made gud cash later sellin dem off as old layers sha. Now m planning of goin into it big tym! Still tryn to see if wld still b able to catch up wit diz xmaz biz. Wld b keeping lyk 500 - 700 or more broilerz. Still tryn to raise enof cash dat wld takia of dem frm brooding stage to mature stage. Hav gotten an uncompleted buildin to use bt hav to roof n fix net and put oder neccessary tinz in place. Wld let u guyz knw how far soon. coolWow, m rlli in love wit diz topic... I hav kept lyk 25 layers b4, I lost lyk 4 or so. Twaz rlli interestin. Bt d cost of feed hmmmm...made gud cash later sellin dem off as old layers sha. Now m planning of goin into it big tym! Still tryn to see if I wld still b able to catch up wit diz xmaz biz. Wld b keeping lyk 500 - 700 or more broilerz. Still tryn to raise enof cash dat wld takia of dem frm brooding stage to mature stage. Hav gotten an uncompleted buildin to use bt hav to roof n fix net and put oder neccessary tinz in place. Wld let u guyz knw how far soon.

Now is d time to get ready to raise broilers for d xmas and new year festivals! Be close to an experienced farmer to maximise ur profits and avoid mortality amog d birds.
Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by iyaayi(f): 11:00pm On Sep 04, 2013
chukmeister: This is really nice Nigerian youths r reaso ing well not gisting about celebrities and all crap .I'm a banker and hav nursed this poultry stuff in my mind a big dream I want accomplised I read industrial microbiology in school and really hav love for animals how do I start ?need anoda source of income and how much would I need??thanks people kudos

As a banker, I wld advise u start very small (to gain d experience), otherwise, staff u employ wld steal u blind as u can't hv sufficient time to oversee d business).
You could research online (google) to learn more abt d business and decide what aspect really interests you (egg production, meat production-broilers, brooding,hatchery etc)

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by Ninilowo(m): 11:12pm On Sep 04, 2013
femora007: [color=#990000][/color] does any one know where to get guineafowl and geese in ile-ife or akure. And how can i deal with snakes in poultry?
Me I dont know where to get guineafowl buh i know how to deal with snakes. just boil some eggs......carefully peel just a little part so that u can cover it back......after that push a fishing hook (iwo yoruba language) into each of the eggs..............then cover the peeled part and return the eggs to the cage. once the snake swallows any of the eggs the hook crosses its throat and thatz the end of the "rope"called snake. My granpa used the method effectively n we never lacked snake meat in our pots in those days. Best of luck dear.

5 Likes

Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by Ninilowo(m): 11:21pm On Sep 04, 2013
PLS WHEN U GO INTO COMMERCIAL POULTRY U NEED TO GET SHOCK ABSORBER TOO JUST IN CASE. ANY HYPERTENSION PRONE FELLOW SHOULD NOT THINK OF LARGE SCALE POULTRY OO PLS. I KNOW WARRAM SAYING ABEG.
Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by Nobody: 11:29pm On Sep 04, 2013
Any tips on catfish farming on how to make them grow bigger?
Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by Gozychuks(m): 11:32pm On Sep 04, 2013
I lost 12 turkeys out of 35. They r abt 18wks old now.this is my first time. What do I need to do to improve growth. I also hv abt 100 9wks old Broilers

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by dont8(m): 11:44pm On Sep 04, 2013
Thanks for the advice given, I have same problem as Chukmeister, I bought two birds last two weeks at the
cost of 200 Naira each and an ingestion making it 450 Naira and they are still doing fine to date.

I will like to do it in large scale, but am afraid of my neighbours, because of the foul smell emitting from their cage.
iya ayi:

As a banker, I wld advise u start very small (to gain d experience), otherwise, staff u employ wld steal u blind as u can't hv sufficient time to oversee d business).
You could research online (google) to learn more abt d business and decide what aspect really interests you (egg production, meat production-broilers, brooding,hatchery etc)

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Poultry Owners by salex66(m): 11:51pm On Sep 04, 2013
wow!This is a nice thread, let us keep it lively. I reared 15 broilers before I gained admission.They all grew up except 1 stolen by my neighbour.Poultry is a good business and I wish to go commercial after school.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

West Corp Services Limited / Dangote Group Is Recruiting For Store And Inventory Head / Enugu State Government Job Recruitment 2019 (Over 1000 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.