Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,230 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros (8210 Views)

FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? / World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is More Important? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by folahann(m): 10:10pm On Jun 19, 2008
texazzpete:

It hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it will NEVER happen.
Uruguay once was a football powerhouse. they're anonymous today.
Once African countries can successfully separate politics from football, we'll improve.

hopefully grin

It will happen, yes! we have been waiting for it for the past God knows how many years it will. . . . . . . . . . . . may be when your great grand children are ready to die undecided undecided undecided
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by davidif: 12:54am On Jun 22, 2008
mr. jackal and everybody else
Did you guys see what the Cardiac kids (The Turkish team) did yesterday, or did you watch today's holland game. Tell me if you have ever seen anything like that in the world cup or if Iran or Angola is capable of that, like i said earlier in this post, this is a game of superior coaching and sublime football. This is also a game where your weaknesses get easily magnified like the Russians did to the Dutch today, i doubt if Nigeria or Uruguay would have been able to expose those weaknesses. In this competition, there is simply no room for mistakes.
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by akinalabi(m): 9:37am On Jun 22, 2008
davidif:

mr. jackal and everybody else
Did you guys see what the Cardiac kids (The Turkish team) did yesterday, or did you watch today's holland game. Tell me if you have ever seen anything like that in the world cup

The Turkey game was one of the most boring European games I've see in many years.

So you can't compare that game and Holland's game to any world cup game? That means we've never even had a world cup classic.
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by bgees(m): 11:57am On Jun 22, 2008
The euros offer higher standards than d world cup becos 'real' football only resides in europe. But they still miss the brazilians and d argies.
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by hustler(m): 3:10pm On Jun 22, 2008
In terms of being competitive the Euros edges the world cup. Truth be said Italy didnt really face stiff opposition last world cup till the semi final and final.

In terms of glamour,surprises,excitement and FLAIRRRRRR the world cup. For me i'd rather see the world cup cuz it's d total package moreso the south americans are in it.

@ Davidif

Did Davidif say USA 94 was better than Italia 90. I can send u my Italia 90 DVD so u can watch again bro. USA 94 doesnt come close.It had evrything from surprises (cameroun) to quality football ( with the likes of MAradona,Baggio,Lineker,Matthaus,Voeller,Ancelotti,Bergomi,Baresi(the best defender i have seen in my life)Donadoni,SKILLACHI e.t.c) on their "A" game.

Save for Romario and Baggio. How many other big players were worthy of note in USA 94Maradona?MAybe Stoichkov too. In terms of quality and excitement in short everything sef Italia 90 has been the best world cup since 1990 if not the best ever sef (at least best ever i have seen dat is ) , LOL.

Any arguments on that?? I hope not.
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by A40(m): 4:40pm On Jun 22, 2008
In terms of quality opposition and toughness the Euros are the stiffest there is no hiding place unlike the world cup though i agree the World cup offers more variety and definitely more shock both are great in their own rights
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by A40(m): 4:45pm On Jun 22, 2008
@hustler
Hmmm its a very big if me thinks Usa 94 knicked it although Italia 90 was interesting too but Usa 94 was the best remember group E where Italy,Ireland,Mexico and Norway where all stuck on 4 points

and yes there where also other players like Hagi,Anderson,Bebeto,Brolin etc
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by texazzpete(m): 10:17am On Jun 23, 2008
Not even the Spain - Italy tie lived up to expectations.

Seems the Euros are fizzling out in terms of excitement. Where are the goals, man?!!
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by dayokanu(m): 10:23am On Jun 23, 2008
The Germans didnt have the best of squads between 1998 and 2006.

In between those times they played weak oppositions in the world cup and got to 2nd and 3rd place.

whereas in the Euro cups they were eliminated at the group stages in 2000 and 2004.

Need I say more
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by akinalabi(m): 10:31am On Jun 23, 2008
Yes you need to say more.  cheesy

You conviniently stated a period that suits your argument. Why not say from 1994? Knocked out in the quater finals in 1994 and they went on to
win the Euros two years later.

Besides, how can we explain the fact that "minnows" like Denmark and Greece can win the Euros while they can't grow cold feet at the world stage?

Need I say more?
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by dayokanu(m): 4:06pm On Jun 24, 2008
@ Akinalabi
Talking about 1994/1996 Germany The 1994 and 1996 German team are too different that you wont beleive they are from the same country.

1994 marked the end of an era Bodo Illgner left for Kopke, Andy Brehme, Matthaus, Voller, Berthold, and many of the old guards were retired and new faces came in.

But the same German team who lost woefully at 2004 got to 3rd place.
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by Jackal(m): 6:20pm On Jun 24, 2008
@ Dayokanu,

Stop this STUPIDITY of yours.
Let us breathe with Germany this n Germany that. . . .
Don't u get tired? Mr Podolski is better than Saha. grin
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by dayokanu(m): 6:40pm On Jun 24, 2008
Is it that you cant think or follow an argument?

I responded to akinalabi and you are spewing from all sides. you too talk about failures like Rooney and England. tongue tongue tongue

Less than a month ago all the thread on the sport section was man utd related No one complained.

Sour Grapes? tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by Jackal(m): 6:52pm On Jun 24, 2008
@ Dayokanu,

Try and exhibit the quality expected of a degree holder once in a while.
We all knew England won't be going to Europe since december so what fucking sour grapes are u fucking talking about?
Do u derive pleasure being a perpetual irritant??

Last time i checked, Germany haven't even won anything YET so how do they equate being called Champions like Man Utd??
What if they lose against Turkey or they lose in the final(like 2002 World Cup)??
Is there a special price for making the final of Euro 2008?

If i were u. . . . i wld slow down a bit and GLOAT after the cup heads for Berlin.
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by A40(m): 8:34pm On Jun 24, 2008
@texazzpete
Teams are becoming more tactical minded what do you expect? Since when did Italy become a high scoring side?
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by dayokanu(m): 7:38am On Jun 25, 2008
In 4 quarter finals we had 11 goals almost 3 goals per game. Compare it to Germany 2006 world cup quarters, Japan Korea quarters
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by akinalabi(m): 8:25am On Jun 30, 2008
The Euros. . .

2004 winners: Greece

2008 winners: Spain

That will be a taboo at the world cup.
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by davidif: 9:34pm On Jun 30, 2008
@akinalabi
You said that the Turkey was boring!!! are you serious scoring two goals within a space of the last 20 seconds of extra time? let's see Cameroun do that.
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by davidif: 9:59pm On Jun 30, 2008
viva espana.
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by akinalabi(m): 7:45pm On Jul 04, 2008
davidif:

You said that the Turkey was boring!!! are you serious scoring two goals within a space of the last 20 seconds of extra time? let's see Cameroun do that.

Did you see Cameroun England game at Napoli in 1990? That match is 20 times better than the Turkey game. Go watch the Turkey game again. I dare you not too fall asleep.
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by Novacaine(m): 3:50pm On Jul 05, 2008
@akinalabi
What does the last two winners of the Euros have to do with anything?where were the so-called superpowers when Spain where romping to the title Greece also knocked out France and beat the host team Portugal twice? Uruguay have also won the world cup where are they now?

The World Cup offers variety and is excitiong but the Euros are tougher and of higher quality
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by dayokanu(m): 8:00pm On Jul 07, 2008
@Akinalabi,

So you expect Germany and Italy to win all Euro cups as they are the biggest team in Europe
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by RedHotChic(f): 8:15pm On Jul 07, 2008
The Euro only miss Brazil and Argentina. I don't think watching China vs Costa Rica would hold any form of excitement.
I also feel 5 slots is too much for Africa 2 is just okay
Roflmao
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by davidif: 9:42pm On Jul 09, 2008
@akinalabi
Italy has won the world cup 4 times and have only won the euros once, and by the way, the spain that you are talking about didn't they beat the same italy that won the world cup just 2 years ago, or what of Germany that got to the World Cup finals in 2002 and couldn't even make it out of the Group stages of Euro 2004?
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by rman: 12:29am On Jul 12, 2008
For one to correctly reply this post ,you have to put all sentiments apart concerning the country you like to watch in tournaments. Most of the replies on this thread are just for argumentative purpose. The poster wants peoples opinion on which of the two tournaments offer the best competition[i][/i] in football?

I think the European championship is it. You can't look at just one or two fantastic matches in a major tournament to judge the tournament. Better tactics, element of suprise, tight games till the final whistle makes the Euros a better tournament to watch.Because you can see this in almost all the games. When teams like Denmark, Greece and I think belgium can come and suprise you, then it is good. The same teams have played more finals in the world cup(Brasil, Italy, Germany, Argentina).

Mind you there may be a little suprise at the world cup, but some teams have gone far because of favorable draws not good football. There is no hiding place at the Euros.
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by davidif: 10:00pm On Jul 17, 2008
@rman
yes o, correctly said, there is no hiding place in the Euros, if you don't bring it every single game, then you pack up and go home (the Dutch can testify to that). I remember the '02 World Cup where Brazil won because they didn't face any tough team (a michael ballack-less Germany doesn't count). That team was a little above average, despite that fact they still went on to win even after horrible games against Belgium and Turkey in the semi-finals, i can't imagine what the Dutch led by van Nistlerooy and Kluivert would have done to them and there squeaky defense that year had they qualified or how Argentina would have trounced them (which they did in the qualifiers) had they met in the world cup.

@akinalabi
Did you see Cameroun England game at Napoli in 1990?

That match is 20 times better than the Turkey game.

Did you see Holland vs. Czech republic in Euro 2000 (part 1) or the perfect game ever played Holland vs. Czech Republic in Euro 2004 (part 2), those games are regarded as some of the greatest ever played not some game played in 1990 where the back pass was still legal and was always used to delay the game and milk the clock.
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by dayokanu(m): 9:28am On Jul 18, 2008
@DavidF,

That Holland vs Czech 2000 was the classic game of 2 halves Holland had the first, Czech dominated the second hitting the bar twice before Holland won by the odd Penalty ( home advantage).

Holland vs Czech 2004 was another classic. One of the best comebacks in senior football. Another classic.

france vs portugal 2000, France vs Italy 2000.
Re: Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros by dayokanu(m): 10:17am On Jul 23, 2008
Check the goal margins in the Euro's and compare it to the world cup Do you hear things like

Germany 8 Saudi 0

Yugoslavia 9 Zaire 0

Hungary 9 Korea 0

Hungary 11 Elsalvador 1

(1) (2) (Reply)

Predict The Caf 2012 Nations Cup Matches. / NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Heartland (1 - 2) On 14th March, 2015 / Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.