Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,366 members, 7,812,053 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:15 AM

Link Between Blues And Sahelian Music - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Link Between Blues And Sahelian Music (968 Views)

What's Your Best Blues? / Is The Song "You Raise Me Up" By Westlife Gospel Or Blues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Link Between Blues And Sahelian Music by jantavanta(m): 1:37pm On Sep 05, 2013
I notice that Malian music is not so popular in Nigeria even though it has gained attention all over the world. This is because in Nigeria, our music is multi-rythmic and our dancing is more vigorous than that of our upper West-African neighbours. Looking at Blues music, it appears to have originated from the Griot-kind of music that is popular in the Sahel regions.

Son of Ra in http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=008460;p=1#000000

"...I love Rock, like I love hip hop/rap, pop, R&B, heavy metal,dance hall and reggae. Basically I like any type of music(except country). Most of those types of music listed in some way shape or form was influenced by people of African descent. But right now we're going to only focus on Rock and Roll. It seems people of African descent(for the most part) have completely forgotten about Rock and and their huge part in it and how they invented it

Almost all modern American music descends from African blues. And Rock is no exception. Blues has a strong link to West Africa mainly Upper West Africa like places in Mali.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sdM-36eRGQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZTai3DxMXM

Also I just want to add that a lot of people tend to have this ignorant misconception that just because there's not a heavy percussion based polyrhythmic aspect in North American African-American music, that it's not African, but European influenced, which isn't true in the slightest. Africa is a HUGE continent, in which there's not only one type of music cluster or style. The majority of our musical influences comes from the Upper West African Sahel & Sudanic savanna regions of Africa which utilizes a lot more simplistic cross-beat rhythm(which gives American music it's swing-feel) to accentuate the highly melosmatic wind and string instruments with a booming vocal/instrument harmony- All aspects of African-American music. While Afro-Cubans take the majority of their influence from Lower West African and Central African bantu music which IS very polyrhythmic & percussion based. ..."

(1) (Reply)

Yemi My Lover- Olamide / Music Producer ID Cabasa Ordained A Pastor / Leke Lee Reveals “no Be Say I Dey Joke” Album Art, Tracklist +release Date

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.