Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,596 members, 7,820,140 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain (3356 Views)

Toyota Corolla 2005 Vs Lexus ES300 / Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better / Please Guys Help Me. Camry 2003 And 2005, Which One Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by Nobody: 5:38pm On Sep 05, 2013
My friend wants to sell his 05 Honda Accord in exchange for an 05 Nissan Altima. He says Altima is cheaper to maintain. Is that true?
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by KA24DETT(m): 4:57am On Sep 06, 2013
Altima is cheaper, no timing belt to replace.
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by elektra80: 7:05am On Sep 06, 2013
KA24DETT: Altima is cheaper, no timing belt to replace.
So the maintenance of a car now relies on timing belt or chain? If u don't know something its better not to say anything. The 2005 Honda accord I4 uses timing chain while the V6 uses timing belt. The timing belt is only changed around 100k miles. Timing chains need to be changed too but not at a particular mileage as it lasts longer, it costs a lot more to change than timing chain and u have to change the tensioners too.
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by KA24DETT(m): 1:53am On Sep 08, 2013
elektra80:
So the maintenance of a car now relies on timing belt or chain? If u don't know something its better not to say anything. The 2005 Honda accord I4 uses timing chain while the V6 uses timing belt. The timing belt is only changed around 100k miles. Timing chains need to be changed too but not at a particular mileage as it lasts longer, it costs a lot more to change than timing chain and u have to change the tensioners too.

Thats a very high maintenance item, thats why i noted that.
In all , Honda can never and i repeat, never build a reliably auto transmission. They not good at it . It was so bad that the switched over to CVT in 2008. Buying a honda accord 2005, hope and pray the transmission dont give up on you.
There are other factors that determine the reliability of a car. Everything being equal, i will take the altima any day.

1 Like

Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by Nobody: 5:54pm On Sep 08, 2013
Thanks man,dats so relieving
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by Nobody: 6:32pm On Sep 08, 2013
KA24DETT:

Thats a very high maintenance item, thats why i noted that. Dont ever come to me when it comes to car talk. U are not and i repeat, not in my league.
In all , Honda can never and i repeat, never build a reliably auto transmission. They not good at it . It was so bad that the switched over to CVT in 2008. Buying a honda accord 2005, hope and pray the transmission dont give up on you.
There are other factors that determine the reliability of a car. Everything being equal, i will take the altima any day.
whats your opinion on a Honda accord 2007 Ivtec 2.4 dohc manual transmission engine?
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by KA24DETT(m): 6:41am On Sep 09, 2013
Honda build amazing manual transmission. Shift action is amazing.
What's the mileage on the car because that would determine if you have to start saving for a clutch replacement downt the road .
Because the car is a manual transmission , it would be very good on gas and more reliable than the auto transmission.
If you don't have a problem driving shift, I would advice it over the automatic anyway
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by icemann(m): 9:11am On Sep 09, 2013
KA24DETT:

Thats a very high maintenance item, thats why i noted that.[/b] Dont ever come to me when it comes to car talk. U are not and i repeat, not in my league. [b]
In all , [/b]Honda can never and i repeat, never build a reliably auto transmission[b]. [/b]They not good at it . It was so bad that the switched over to CVT in 2008[b]. Buying a honda accord 2005, hope and pray the transmission dont give up on you.

First of all you need to learn and apply the term called humility
Second you said honda "can never build a reliable transmission". Like you know the future of the car company. Do you even know how a transmission works?

Thirdly you dont even know when honda switched the accord transmission to a CVT.

And lastly you dont have a singe idea how a CVT works. If you knew you would be saying all this.
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by Nobody: 10:52am On Sep 09, 2013
KA24DETT: Honda build amazing manual transmission. Shift action is amazing.
What's the mileage on the car because that would determine if you have to start saving for a clutch replacement downt the road .
Because the car is a manual transmission , it would be very good on gas and more reliable than the auto transmission.
If you don't have a problem driving shift, I would advice it over the automatic anyway
Thanks, the mileage says 88k...but i don't even know...all these cars, might be tampered with...i was adviced by someone to change the timing belt sha...have a faulty fuel gauge and tachometer....some friends say i should just replace the whole display panel. what do you think?
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by elektra80: 11:06am On Sep 09, 2013
icemann:

First of all you need to learn and apply the term called humility
Second you said honda "can never build a reliable transmission". Like you know the future of the car company. Do you even know how a transmission works?

Thirdly you dont even know when honda switched the accord transmission to a CVT.

And lastly you dont have a singe idea how a CVT works. If you knew you would be saying all this.

Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by andre82(m): 8:47am On Sep 11, 2013
@ ka24dett, i believe that if you want 2argue, you'll correct the basis of argument or contention, which is timing belt/chain but you didn't, you just ranted about being in the business of cars and jumped onto honda's transmission problems. You sha want 2make urself heard by all means and thereby missing the point. This forum isn't for kids, but for adults. Am not a car expert but ℓ've learnt so much from educative arguements aπϑ not not the kind that looks like Muhammed Ali's style of boxing
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by KA24DETT(m): 2:22am On Sep 12, 2013
andre82: @ ka24dett, i believe that if you want 2argue, you'll correct the basis of argument or contention, which is timing belt/chain but you didn't, you just ranted about being in the business of cars and jumped onto honda's transmission problems. You sha want 2make urself heard by all means and thereby missing the point. This forum isn't for kids, but for adults. Am not a car expert but ℓ've learnt so much from educative arguements α̲̅πϑ not not the kind that looks like Muhammed Ali's style of boxing

Dude asked me about my take on manual Honda accord and that's why I sent out that reply. You need to read the topic before going off
What u talking about getting self heard? It's an online forum. It's not a popularity concert. Gosh , get over it

In my years working in an Autoshop in canada , 80% of transmission replacement we work on is mostly Honda. They moved over to CVT which is good news and moreover , you can squeeze out more MPG from a CVT than a regular transmission. I don't know how reliable their CVT are cus it's just being few years out, only time will tell.
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by KA24DETT(m): 2:30am On Sep 12, 2013
[quote author=elektra80]

thank u jare, oversabi dey worry some people. That's why I didn't bother to reply him, got better things to do[/quo

U came hard on me . U forget what you wrote? U could put ur point across without trying to sound all arrogant .

Most of my post on this website is about cars and mostly nissan . I have owned at least 7 over the years and I share my experiences working on them and other cars in the shop . If you think am biased towards Nissan in my post, u can refute my arguement in a more appropriate manner.
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by KA24DETT(m): 2:39am On Sep 12, 2013
gmyguy: Thanks, the mileage says 88k...but i don't even know...all these cars, might be tampered with...i was adviced by someone to change the timing belt sha...have a faulty fuel gauge and tachometer....some friends say i should just replace the whole display panel. what do you think?

2002-2008 Honda accord 2.4 uses timing chain and not belt so you good. It's a lifetime item. No need replacement unless it starts rattling which is hard
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by icemann(m): 10:48am On Sep 13, 2013
KA24DETT:

Dude asked me about my take on manual Honda accord and that's why I sent out that reply. You need to read the topic before going off
What u talking about getting self heard? It's an online forum. It's not a popularity concert. Gosh , get over it

Aisin( Honda in house transmission company ) makes transmissions for Honda. In my years working in an Autoshop in canada , 80% of transmission replacement we work on is mostly Honda. They moved over to CVT which is good news and moreover , you can squeeze out more MPG from a CVT than a regular transmission. I don't know how reliable their CVT are cus it's just being few years out, only time will tell.

Aisin is not own by Honda. They are an Independent transmission company and make transmission for a lot of car companies like Toyota, Hyundai, Mazda and VW. Honda produces MOST of the transmission in their cars. And if you know a lot about Nissan Jatco would ring a bell and if you drive a Benz you would notice Mahle GmbH and Siemens stamped on some parts.

Say what you know stop putting out wrong info.
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by KA24DETT(m): 4:29pm On Sep 13, 2013
icemann:

Aisin is not own by Honda. They are an Independent transmission company and make transmission for a lot of car companies like Toyota, Hyundai, Mazda and VW. Honda produces MOST of the transmission in their cars. And if you know a lot about Nissan Jatco would ring a bell and if you drive a Benz you would notice Mahle GmbH and Siemens stamped on some parts.

Say what you know stop putting out wrong info.

I corrected the part about Aisin but i still stand my ground about honda automatic transmission based on what i have seen over the years. I do not know about the newer transmission in their cars (Post 2008).
No need to go offensive on me. This is car talk, we are here to share knowledge.
In my earlier post, i came out swinging on ELEKTRA80. I apologize and i have modified the post.
Let the discussion continue.
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by Nobody: 8:23am On Sep 14, 2013
Ummm! I smell a lot of ignorance spewed by some ignoramous individuals emanating from this thread. This thread has been riddled with the bullets of ignorance much to the detriment of the good intent of the OP. Fact that some folks be mechanics no mean say dem fit conclude about a cars manufacturers past, present and future or condemn the cars. Every car has its strengths and and its achilies heel. This we/and the manufacturers know. But let's not forget about R n D (Research and Design dept in most companies) to research about these strength n weaknesses and design much more competent parts. Pls a lot of folks need not come online and throw up ignorance instead let them g☺ back to learn properly and consult the right sources before concluding. (I no call names o) thank ya'll
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by KA24DETT(m): 9:13am On Sep 14, 2013
lomomike: Ummm! I smell a lot of ignorance spewed by some ignoramous individuals emanating from this thread. This thread has been riddled with the bullets of ignorance much to the detriment of the good intent of the OP. Fact that some folks be mechanics no mean say dem fit conclude about a cars manufacturers past, present and future or condemn the cars. Every car has its strengths and and its achilies heel. This we/and the manufacturers know. But let's not forget about R n D (Research and Design dept in most companies) to research about these strength n weaknesses and design much more competent parts. Pls a lot of folks need not come online and throw up ignorance instead let them g☺ back to learn properly and consult the right sources before concluding. (I no call names o) thank ya'll
]]

No body is condeming cars, everybody is putting out their opinion based on past history and experiences.
It is from an automaker past that people buy their products. I said old Honda accord transmission (pre 2008)was not very reliable based on my work and i also said that i do not know how reliable the new ones ones are .
Yes, you can judge an automaker based on their past and that would determine if their future produce will sell. FIAT left Northamerica market in 1983 because no one was buying their cars cus of poor reliability. Toyota sells more cars because people believe their cars are more reliable. Ford and chrysler used to be very unreliable but over the years, they have stepped up their game and catching up. It will take a few years for mainstream buyers to realize that.
RnD (Research N development) is different from reliability . Mercedez benz has one of the highest RandD budget in the auto industry and according to JD power and associates, Hyundai sonata is more reliable than the S class even though the S class is more technologically advanced than the hyundai sonata.
Every automaker is out there to make profit, some sacrifice reliability at the alter of profit.
You didnt contribute anything to the thread except for that write up that is meaningless. You sum it up by saying "I smell a lot of ignorance spewed by some ignoramous individuals""I no name names". WTF. You dont need to flame up the thread, lets not turn it to a politics thread.
If there is a wrong info up there. correct it and we learn from your knowledge. If you want to help the OP, put your 2 cents in.
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by Nobody: 2:28pm On Sep 14, 2013
KA24DETT: ]]
...Mercedez benz has one of the highest RandD budget in the auto industry and according to JD power and associates, Hyundai sonata is more reliable than the S class even though the S class is more technologically advanced than the hyundai sonata...
Bro no pun intended, go back to JD Power and associates or even www.google.com and discover how wrong u are. The last time I checked, Honda leads the Parks of for reliability followed by Toyota and Mercedes Benz came third place. I don't know where u got your reliability survey which claims Hyundai is better than a Benz. Now u gonna derail this thread if care isn't taken.
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by KA24DETT(m): 4:03pm On Sep 14, 2013
lomomike:
Bro no pun intended, go back to JD Power and associates or even www.google.com and discover how wrong u are. The last time I checked, Honda leads the Parks of for reliability followed by Toyota and Mercedes Benz came third place. I don't know where u got your reliability survey which claims Hyundai is better than a Benz. Now u gonna derail this thread if care isn't taken.

Bro, I said Hyundai Sonata and Mercedez S class. I brought it in as a comparism for how R"N"grin does not fully translate to relaibility.
http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability.htm talked about the 3-year reliability of cars in different classes. Please click on the link, It proves my point. If you were following the automotive news in the early 2000s. Mercedes was berated for their poor reliabilty in the late 90s and early 2000s. You can also access April, 2004 and April 2005 editions of "Consumer Reports" for more details There is a reason you can pick up a 2009 Mercedez Benz S class for half its full price 4 years later. Word on the street here is " You dont buy an S class, you lease it".
Lets get back to the topic bro, we are digressing too much.
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by elektra80: 5:37pm On Sep 14, 2013
KA24DETT:

Bro, I said Hyundai Sonata and Mercedez S class. I brought it in as a comparism for how R"N"grin does not fully translate to relaibility.
http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability.htm talked about the 3-year reliability of cars in different classes. Please click on the link, It proves my point. If you were following the automotive news in the early 2000s. Mercedes was berated for their poor reliabilty in the late 90s and early 2000s. You can also access April, 2004 and April 2005 editions of "Consumer Reports" for more details There is a reason you can pick up a 2009 Mercedez Benz S class for half its full price 4 years later. Word on the street here is " You dont buy an S class, you lease it".
Lets get back to the topic bro, we are digressing too much.

Someone finally acknowledge what I posted here https://www.nairaland.com/1437097/why-german-american-cars-low. KA24DETT did not compare Hyundai with Mercedez, he only compared a Hyundai Sonata with Mercedez Benz S class. Most of these German cars become unreliable after a couple of years and mileage and lose their values.
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by KA24DETT(m): 6:08pm On Sep 14, 2013
elektra80:

Someone finally acknowledge what I posted here https://www.nairaland.com/1437097/why-german-american-cars-low. KA24DETT did not compare Hyundai with Mercedez, he only compared a Hyundai Sonata with Mercedez Benz S class. Most of these German cars become unreliable after a couple of years and mileage and lose their values.

You are right . The German guys build amazing sedans but the reliability is horrible .
Can you imagine paying $110,000 for Mercedes s550 AMG and 3 years later, it is worth $65,000. Thats crazy. $85,000 Lexus is worth around 65,000 after 3 years . That's the power of reliability
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by elektra80: 6:18pm On Sep 14, 2013
KA24DETT:

You are right . The German guys build amazing sedans but the reliability is horrible .
Can you imagine paying $110,000 for Mercedes s550 AMG and 3 years later, it is worth $65,000. Thats crazy. $85,000 Lexus is worth around 65,000 after 3 years . That's the power of reliability

Some will say luxury things lose their values faster.. I agree to some extent. But what would u say about a 2004 Mercedez benz ML350 bought brand new for $38,000 and now worth just $9,000. A Toyota Highlander Limited bought same year for $31,000 is still worth $12,500.
Re: Honda Accord 2005 Vs Nissan Altima 2005-which Is More Expensive To Maintain by KA24DETT(m): 8:53pm On Sep 14, 2013
elektra80:

Some will say luxury things lose their values faster.. I agree to some extent. But what would u say about a 2004 Mercedez benz ML350 bought brand new for $38,000 and now worth just $9,000. A Toyota Highlander Limited bought same year for $31,000 is still worth $12,500.

LMAOOOO... Thats the power of the market bro. Imagine financing a car like that. you are paying for a car that is not worth its payment. I will rethink my life.
thats why people lease those cars over here. You can get a fully loaded c class and e class for between $350-500/ month.

(1) (Reply)

CEL On My Camry, Error Codes Scanned. Please Advise. / Car Change Of Ownership. / Help!!! My Radiator Fans Are Not Working & Engine Overheating -toyota Camry 2007

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.