Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,031 members, 7,818,045 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

Which SUV To Buy? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which SUV To Buy? (3332 Views)

The Volvo Xc90 SUV: To Kill Or Not To Kill / Which Suv Should I Buy / Innoson Made-In-Nigeria SUV Worth N5.6m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which SUV To Buy? by Marpol: 5:52am On Oct 28, 2014
Hi house, I need advice on which suv to go for.
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by colossus2: 6:24am On Oct 28, 2014
Wanted to recommend an xterra for you when I opened the thread till I read it.
Hmmm...serious water, mud, offroad, 8months.
Land cruiser, land rover, ford embarassed
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by Nobody: 6:41am On Oct 28, 2014
An FJ cruiser us very spartan yet very offroad focused.

1 Like

Re: Which SUV To Buy? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:12am On Oct 28, 2014
Marpol give a price range.
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by AutosBay(m): 8:11am On Oct 28, 2014
Would suggest you go for a Toyota Highlander whichever the model.
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by Marpol: 9:48am On Oct 28, 2014
GAZZUZZ:
Marpol give a price range.
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by Marpol: 9:49am On Oct 28, 2014
AutosBay:

Highlander is not a true SUV. It's more suited to city driving.
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by Marpol: 9:49am On Oct 28, 2014
lomomike:
An FJ cruiser us very spartan yet very offroad focused.

More like it.
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by ba7man(m): 10:04am On Oct 28, 2014
Marpol:

More like it.
try out more recent models of Toyota 4runner.

Nothing beats a Toyota for "real world" hard use.
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by Nobody: 10:06am On Oct 28, 2014
Marpol:

More like it.

Two very good offroaders which won't be bad trying, and are infact the best offroad trucks around are landrover discovery series 90 and Mercedes Benz Gelandewagon (G class) pre MY2000. Very basic very spartan serious offroad is their natural habitat. But if you're buying the Gelandewagon, do a diesel to save fuel and get more torque.
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by Marpol: 7:51am On Oct 29, 2014
grin
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by Fhemmmy: 1:47pm On Oct 29, 2014
Marpol:
I am looking at either a Lexus Gx 470 or a Toyota 4runner.

What do you think?

GX470 is great but going through that kinda abuse will have effect on your wallet in terms of maintenance, 4Runner is not a bad idea if you willing to give up the luxury that comes with GX470..... and again depends on the year you willing to settle for based on the budget. .. if done before the new tariff then, you might be lucky
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by clemz85(m): 3:32pm On Oct 29, 2014
Op depending on your budget, you are good to on FJ cruiser, my boss uses it and we have a lot to write home about the mob. another is wrangler though I dunno much about this mob
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by Fhemmmy: 4:19pm On Oct 29, 2014
clemz85:
Op depending on your budget, you are good to on FJ cruiser, my boss uses it and we have a lot to write home about the mob. another is wrangler though I dunno much about this mob

You should be able to tell that Marpol wanna enjoy the luxury that comes with a machine and still be able to abuse it, FJ doesn't have the kinda luxury he is looking for but the ruggedness, likewise Wrangler and Wrangler is only for those that knows the worth . . . You sound like you do and i love that
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by Marpol: 4:30pm On Oct 29, 2014
Fhemmmy:

You should be able to tell that Marpol wanna enjoy the luxury that comes with a machine and still be able to abuse it, FJ doesn't have the kinda luxury he is looking for but the ruggedness, likewise Wrangler and Wrangler is only for those that knows the worth . . . You sound like you do and i love that

I don't dig the FJ Cruiser because of the way the doors open. Just don't know why toyota opted for a door and half. As for Wrangler, I laugh in Swahili.
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by Marpol: 4:37pm On Oct 29, 2014
Fhemmmy:

Anytime, my Chairman - For the LX 470, that will be a little tough too with your budget so sad imagine a 2002 ride . . . Clearing will be 450K Naira, 340K Naira for all other related expense . . . and we are left with just 2.21M Naira and that translate to 13,000$$ that might be possible to buy a high mileage and probably had been in an accident before but you will still have to open your wallet to square the dealer his fees or profit or something . . . . Again, all these would be if the deal was done before the new tariff.

The new tarrif will not kickoff in January. Elections are around the corner and PDP will not do anything that will jeopardize the re-election of GEJ. They might postpone it to June or after the swearing in.
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by Fhemmmy: 4:51pm On Oct 29, 2014
Marpol:

I don't dig the FJ Cruiser because of the way the doors open. Just don't know why toyota opted for a door and half. As for Wrangler, I laugh in Swahili.

Na you now, i sabi you wella no be today . . . . Dig deeper in the wallet and spend to get what will make you happy . . . Lol
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by Fhemmmy: 4:55pm On Oct 29, 2014
Marpol:

The new tarrif will not kickoff in January. Elections are around the corner and PDP will not do anything that will jeopardize the re-election of GEJ. They might postpone it to June or after the swearing in.

Chairman, that was what i thought too till i was discussing with some political analyst and he asked me a question "Has any other contestant from other party come against the policy of new tariff?" that got me thinking, cos it means that everyone wanna make this happen, especially now that price of oil is going down? they will need all other areas to gather money . . . . . and sure could see this as an avenue.
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by abrahamolusoji: 5:47pm On Oct 29, 2014
AutosBay:
Hilander for offroad? He'll kill d 'elevated camry' (hilandr) cos it's an AWD. I'll recommend a 4WD in the likes of a nissan pathy(unibody) or his erstwhile ride-Xterra(ladder frame).
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by Fhemmmy: 6:32pm On Oct 29, 2014
abrahamolusoji:

Hilander for offroad? He'll kill d 'elevated camry' (hilandr) cos it's an AWD. I'll recommend a 4WD in the likes of a nissan pathy(unibody) or his erstwhile ride-Xterra(ladder frame).

There are lots of Highlander that are 4WD
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Oct 29, 2014
abrahamolusoji:

Highlander is not an AWD, its a 4WD without locking diffs. Even Toyota asserts that.
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by Export1: 2:57pm On Nov 05, 2014
These 3 SUVs are considered to be the best to buy:

1. Renault Duster
2. Ford Ecosport
3. Mahindra Scorpio
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:38pm On Nov 05, 2014
Export1:

1. Renault Duster
2. Ford Ecosport
3. Mahindra Scorpio

Gobe grin marpol no try am.
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by Marpol: 4:42pm On Nov 05, 2014
Export1:

1. Renault Duster
2. Ford Ecosport
3. Mahindra Scorpio

Are you for real?
Re: Which SUV To Buy? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Nov 05, 2014
Export1:

1. Renault Duster
2. Ford Ecosport
3. Mahindra Scorpio

Marpol if you try any of these e go be like retrogression and people go think say na your village winch dey do you. grin

1 Like

Re: Which SUV To Buy? by Marpol: 4:47pm On Nov 05, 2014
Renault Duster
Ford
Mahindra

Re: Which SUV To Buy? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Nov 06, 2014
Personally, if I lived in Nigeria, and was mostly traversing bad roads, I would be looking at the Land Rover Defender 110. It is a true off-roader, and virtually indestructible.

SUV's with independent suspension are fine on tarmac, but less capable off road, which is where a solid axle truck will shine.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Could Be Breaking My Front Shock Absorber Springs / Gave My Car To Mechanic Without Telling Me. / What's The Smartest Way Do Drive In Reverse?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.