Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish (1489 Views)

Shocked! My Cousin Bro Died Of Motor Accident But His Spirit Is Disturbing / Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) / 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by benalvino(m): 5:53pm On Sep 05, 2013
Some people talks about the baptism of the holy spirit and most times they point it to speaking in tongues, when i say tongue i mean the madness of shanakajakajana you know the funny gibberish...
the Holy Spirit comes in different degrees. Now for one thing anyone reading this, the Holy Spirit is working in your life to bring conviction for sin before you’re ever even baptized or saved. Jesus said, ‘the Holy Spirit, when He is come, He will bring conviction’ – and so it’s God’s Spirit. It’s a gift when He says we need salvation that comes from the Spirit.

It’s the Holy Spirit that leads us and teaches us in our understanding as we hear the truth. The Holy Spirit guides us in our decisions. The Holy Spirit comes in different degrees, and it’s not always an upward flow. The Holy Spirit sometimes comes in waves in our lives. When we need more of the Holy Spirit, we get more. Jesus said when you’re brought to bear witness for your faith, the Holy Spirit will be given to you in special portion men, to defend the truth. And so you know, the Bible is clear – the Holy Spirit comes as we need Him for what we need.

God does give us the gift of the Comforter when we accept Him. Jesus promised if I’m crucified and I rise again, I’m going to pray the Father and He’s going to send you the Holy Spirit. And He did ascend to Heaven He did send the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit is still available today.

So the baptism in the Holy Spirit happens a variety of ways. Some Bible story that is an example of this – is the first person that you see being baptized in the Holy Spirit like this is Elisha. When he was following Elijah, he said when you go up to Heaven, I want a double portion of your Spirit. And when Elijah went up, the Holy Spirit came in double portion on Elisha. Well it’s the same thing. When Jesus ascended, He then sent the Spirit in Pentecostal power to His followers. But Samson, when the Holy Spirit came on him, it was the Holy Spirit that gave him that supernatural strength. Holy Spirit came on King Saul and he prophesied. The Holy Spirit came on David, and he wrote psalms. So people were baptized in the Holy Spirit in a variety of ways in the Old Testament before we ever see it in the New Testament.

Now many people, when they say baptism in the Holy Spirit, they automatically think of what? Speaking in tongues but that is a counterfeit gift of tongues that is just absolutely taking the Protestant church in particular by storm. This idea that when you receive the gift of tongues you start rattling and babbling and no one knows what you’re saying and you don’t know what you’re saying, I don’t see an example of that anywhere in the Bible.

There are three examples of speaking in tongues in the Bible: Acts chapter 2, Acts chapter 10, Acts chapter 19. No more. No less – three examples of people speaking in tongues in the New Testament there. In all three examples, the people listening understood what was being said. Peter and the Apostles on Pentecost were given the ability, in a miraculous way, to speak in languages they did not formally know or study, for the purpose of preaching the Gospel to others in their native tongues.

Then in Acts chapter 10, they went to see Cornelius who spoke Latin, and there were other servants there from the Roman Empire that spoke different languages. Peter said in Acts chapter 10, they received the Holy Spirit the same way they had earlier in Acts chapter 2 – languages that could be understood. They heard them speak with tongues and magnify God. They heard them speak with tongues and glorify God. They understood. And then in Acts 19 – same thing – 12 Ephesian believers. Paul lays hands on them. They received the Holy Spirit, and they began to speak in tongues and prophesy. Prophesy means “to preach.” They began to preach in other languages.
Now Paul spoke many languages. He says I speak with tongues more than you all. He was more widely traveled, more educated. He spoke Greek and Latin and Hebrew, and a number of other tongues perhaps. So, in the Bible, Jesus said you will speak with other tongues. He didn’t mean you’ll babble because the Bible says avoid vain babblings. Paul says that twice.

Paul in 1st Corinthians 14 says I’d rather speak five words with my understanding so I might instruct others, than 10,000 in an unknown tongue that no one understands. God wants us to speak in these languages for the purpose of spreading the Gospel.

So I believe that the Holy Spirit gives us the ability to understand other languages for the purpose of spreading the Gospel. The idea that you start speaking in tongues so you can feel good is un-Biblical. And then some people say, ‘Oh I can prove I’ve got the Holy Spirit because I speak in tongues.’ That’s un-Biblical because the Bible says you can tell if a person has the Holy Spirit by their fruits. Not the gifts. The fruits of the Spirit are love and joy and peace, so forth. That’s Galatians 5:22. The gifts of the Spirit – different people get different gifts – you don’t prove that someone has got the Holy Spirit by the gifts.
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by Nobody: 6:31pm On Sep 05, 2013
On a lighter mood, i was wondering why we christians look for scriptures to support our beliefs instead of using the scripture to develop our beliefs.
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by benalvino(m): 6:45pm On Sep 05, 2013
idnoble135: On a lighter mood, i was wondering why we christians look for scriptures to support our beliefs instead of using the scripture to develop our beliefs.

that is how religion has always been... for me i dont believe something because everyone thinks its right... i give a fair analysis to what they believe...

Growing up i love to see pastors speak in tongues because i thought really it was a language only them and God understand... but after studying the issue i came to realize that even them that speak it dont understand plus tongues are languages not what they say it is.
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by Nobody: 6:48pm On Sep 05, 2013
It is well. Have you prayed on this and God told you it is false?
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by benalvino(m): 7:03pm On Sep 05, 2013
idnoble135: It is well. Have you prayed on this and God told you it is false?

The bible tells me it is false.. that is why we have the bible...
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by Nobody: 7:13pm On Sep 05, 2013
Bible reading alone might not help. The understanding and help of the Holy Spirit is so paramount here. The Pharisees, Saducees and the Scribes knew the law and the prophets so well but failed to recognize Him who is the Messiah.
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by benalvino(m): 7:37pm On Sep 05, 2013
idnoble135: Bible reading alone might not help. The understanding and help of the Holy Spirit is so paramount here. The Pharisees, Saducees and the Scribes knew the law and the prophets so well but failed to recognize Him who is the Messiah.

When you really want to know the holy spirit will Guide you... So the holy spirit did his Job... speaking in tongues like shanaikajsaks is not biblical
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by Nobody: 7:42pm On Sep 05, 2013
Its all good... Not intending to start an argument because we already have dozens of thread on that in the forum already.
But, i do wonder how you'd feel like if when we get to heaven, Jesus tells you it is real and was vital for a christian. I wonder what your thoughts will be.

1 Like

Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by benalvino(m): 8:02pm On Sep 05, 2013
idnoble135: Its all good... Not intending to start an argument because we already have dozens of thread on that in the forum already.
But, i do wonder how you'd feel like if when we get to heaven, Jesus tells you it is real and was vital for a christian. I wonder what your thoughts will be.

what about if Jesus told you that you were speaking Gibberish when you go to heaven?
its not biblical bro... Jesus did not speak Gibberish.
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by Nobody: 8:09pm On Sep 05, 2013
idnoble135: Its all good... Not intending to start an argument because we already have dozens of thread on that in the forum already.
And you would be so much disappointed.
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by benalvino(m): 8:29pm On Sep 05, 2013
tpacalipse: And you would be so much disappointed.

they are funny... really
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by Nobody: 8:34pm On Sep 05, 2013
benalvino:

what about if Jesus told you that you were speaking Gibberish when you go to heaven?
its not biblical bro... Jesus did not speak Gibberish.
i'd know i did something that did not work. And if He said i was right, i would still know i did not lose. Now thats a win win for me.
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by Nobody: 8:35pm On Sep 05, 2013
On the other hand, if Jesus told you it was important, that's a loss, you failed to use what was yours.
So compare both.
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by Wizemmanuel(m): 8:37pm On Sep 05, 2013
The holy spirit is our helper,teacher and it does so many things,so many of us don't know what to pray but the holyspirit maketh intercession for us and the holyspirit help us to connect to the father,without the holyspirit u can't interprete the bible because the bible is a mystery itself,the holyspirit teach us through revelations and so many ways.
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by benalvino(m): 9:04pm On Sep 05, 2013
idnoble135:
i'd know i did something that did not work. And if He said i was right, i would still know i did not lose. Now thats a win win for me.

But did the bible teach that? How did jesus told us to pray? did he say speak in tongues when he teach us how to pray?
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by benalvino(m): 9:05pm On Sep 05, 2013
Wiz emmanuel: The holy spirit is our helper,teacher and it does so many things,so many of us don't know what to pray but the holyspirit maketh intercession for us and the holyspirit help us to connect to the father,without the holyspirit u can't interprete the bible because the bible is a mystery itself,the holyspirit teach us through revelations and so many ways.
So present example from the scriptures...
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by Nobody: 9:43pm On Sep 05, 2013
benalvino:

But did the bible teach that? How did jesus told us to pray? did he say speak in tongues when he teach us how to pray?
Lemme reply you with a question. Was Jesus a born again? If he was not, then why should we be?
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by benalvino(m): 9:49pm On Sep 05, 2013
idnoble135:
Lemme reply you with a question. Was Jesus a born again? If he was not, then why should we be?

oh boy... you really amaze me... Yes jesus was a born again... the day he was baptize...
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by Nobody: 9:57pm On Sep 05, 2013
benalvino:

oh boy... you really amaze me... Yes jesus was a born again... the day he was baptize...
Gradually bro. First, what does it mean to be born again?
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by benalvino(m): 10:02pm On Sep 05, 2013
idnoble135:
Gradually bro. First, what does it mean to be born again?
Yeah i did... you just said jesus was not a born again
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by Nobody: 10:06pm On Sep 05, 2013
lol... I did not say so. You are reading in between the lines. Am trying to make a point. So answer my question. Dont swerve.
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by Joagbaje(m): 10:09pm On Sep 05, 2013
benalvino: Some people talks about the baptism of the holy spirit and most times they point it to speaking in tongues, when i say tongue i mean the madness of shanakajakajana you know the funny gibberish...

It's gibberish to carnal men or natural men. But to God and to spiritual men its the wisdom of God ,

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God:for they are foolishness unto him:neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

1 Like

Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by benalvino(m): 10:14pm On Sep 05, 2013
idnoble135: lol... I did not say so. You are reading in between the lines. Am trying to make a point. So answer my question. Dont swerve.
you said if he was not a born again, so why should he be.... I dont know why you ask that... you were not even clear in the question.
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by benalvino(m): 10:16pm On Sep 05, 2013
Joagbaje:

It's gibberish to carnal men or natural men. But to God and to spiritual men its the wisdom of God ,

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God:for they are foolishness unto him:neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

that is not talking about praying in tongues
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by Nobody: 10:17pm On Sep 05, 2013
You'd rather say you did not get my question. My question was, was Jesus born again during his three years of earthly ministry here? If he was not, why should we be then be born again?
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by benalvino(m): 10:20pm On Sep 05, 2013
idnoble135: You'd rather say you did not get my question. My question was, was Jesus born again during his three years of earthly ministry here? If he was not, why should we be then be born again?

He was a born again... now you know that... so tell me what it has to do with speaking in tongues
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by Nobody: 10:24pm On Sep 05, 2013
benalvino:

He was a born again... now you know that... so tell me what it has to do with speaking in tongues
You have to be patient to get my point. You said he was born again at baptism. I asked, what is it that make people born again? How do people get born again?
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by Nobody: 10:26pm On Sep 05, 2013
benalvino:

that is not talking about praying in tongues
looked like i missed this post. Are you totally against tongues or what? This post suggests that you endorse/concur with praying in tongues?
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by benalvino(m): 10:31pm On Sep 05, 2013
idnoble135:
looked like i missed this post. Are you totally against tongues or what? This post suggests that you endorse/concur with praying in tongues?

To me the Gift of the tongue is about speaking languages to spread the Gospel to the world... the apostles speaks languages they did not learn...

gift of the tongue is not speaking shakanakanaka gibs...

and yes i am totally against it... I believe speaking in longs is speaking in various languages of this world... Jesus said Go in to world and preach the gospel... they cant Go to china and start preaching if they dont know chinese... so the Gift of the tongue will enable them speak chinese...
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by Nobody: 10:33pm On Sep 05, 2013
Then what happened to praying in tongues?
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by benalvino(m): 10:37pm On Sep 05, 2013
idnoble135: Then what happened to praying in tongues?

bible never teach that...
Re: The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish by Nobody: 10:39pm On Sep 05, 2013
benalvino:

bible never teach that...
You dont believe in it or it does not exist?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mother Thanks Atheist Group For A Good Xmas After Church Gives Her Bad Treatment / Know Who And What Satguru Maharajji Is.... / How The Lord Used A Man's Enemy To Prosper Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.