Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,495 members, 7,823,158 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews (18478 Views)

9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. / Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs / Technical & Brain Teaser Questions Asked During Job Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by fabby26(m): 9:29pm On Sep 05, 2013
If you're asked on how much your remuneration will be or you wished to be paid on a lucrative job interview for a multinational company or a big firm. Is this really a question or a test to put you through? I have a friend of mine that was asked this question by a white man after he must have answered all other questions. My friend feared to mention any specific amount but rather just declared intention of not putting remuneration at fore-front but rather more on delivering his role. He came out thinking he will get the job, but unfortunately failed.

So I ask What will one that is posed with such question say? Mention any amount(minimum amt in figures) or just wave this issue of remuneration like my friend did. Please I need a concise answer to this. Thanks
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by fabby26(m): 10:30pm On Sep 05, 2013
35 Views with no post makes me think if am on the right thread. Is that out of 35 viewers, nobody has any meaningful contribution or just negligence. Remember that thing you call trivial and neglect today can be a big challenge for you tomorrow. If I had posted this on the wrong thread,say EDUCATION or ENTERTAINMENT, it would have generated a lot of traffic/response

1 Like

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by ddeductive1: 10:34pm On Sep 05, 2013
ANSWER= "I DO LIKE TO HAVE THE SALARY WHICH MATCHES MY ABILITY,AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE SALARY SCALE FOR THIS JOB DESCRIPTION."

9 Likes

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by fabby26(m): 3:56am On Sep 06, 2013
ddeductive1: ANSWER= "I DO LIKE TO HAVE THE SALARY WHICH MATCHES MY ABILITY,AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE SALARY SCALE FOR THIS JOB DESCRIPTION."

That's a very good and smart answer. I think you've said it all. Thanks@ ddeductive
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by prettystacy(f): 6:50am On Sep 06, 2013
For me, I did say 'sir I will lyk to earn what's commensurate wt my job in line with the salary structure of the company.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by zelexotunla(m): 7:20am On Sep 06, 2013
Mehnn!!! I no say i don Bleep up biggerly when asked on this question. Though d panel insisted dat i should mention a figure and i didnt want to appear too cheap as graduate concern, i weight up d coy and gave dem 120k to start with but one of the panel said they wont pay more than d half of d said amount. I was like ok no wahala make i start with that to kill boredom and dat they will get back to me since last two weeks now. Never heard anything from them. Now my question is what if they(interviewers) insist to mention amount nko, What would you say?

2 Likes

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by oyecuteez(m): 7:39am On Sep 06, 2013
I was asked same thing in my last interview. I tried to provide a smart answer lik @ddeductive bt d interviewer insist on me saying my own mind and I must not say d actual amount I av heard they pay within d firm (because she knew I av an insider who has just started working with them) ... All I said- 250 - 300k .
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Nobody: 7:54am On Sep 06, 2013
I don't think it's the answer regarding salary that may have made him not to get through. They may have just posed that just to end the interview.

An entry role wouldn't require you calling an amount, unless they just wanna know what you'll say. For an experienced role, they may have their pay range too, except if the interviewers continue telling you to place a minimum amount.

If they were actually impressed with his answers prior to asking about salary, then I don't think they'd drop him cos of this answer he gave later on regarding the salary stuff.

3 Likes

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Rcih: 8:02am On Sep 06, 2013
It is advisable to give a specified range in respect to that for it gives u a value and portray ur capabilities to the job functions. A friend of my after being ask such question used "I believe the HR management are competent and will pay what will suit my position" . He was told that he is to receive 25k with a target of 10million a month.

1 Like

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by omicron(m): 8:20am On Sep 06, 2013
While agreeing it is important one learns how to go around tricky questiions, I believe that these are not the issues why people do not get hired. If you are one of the bests and the recruitment is based on merit, then you will be hired. Mentioning any amount does not determine how much you get paid, nor if you will get hired. My opinion though.

5 Likes

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Ishilove: 11:54am On Sep 06, 2013
Rcih :
It is advisable to give a specified range in respect to that for it gives u a value and portray ur capabilities to the job functions. A friend of my after being ask such question used "I believe the HR management are competent and will pay what will suit my position" . He was told that he is to receive 25k with a target of 10million a month.
Slave wages. Smh

3 Likes

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Rcih: 4:23pm On Sep 06, 2013
Ishilove:
Slave wages. Smh
yes that is why that question should not dilly- dallied us.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by fabby26(m): 10:56pm On Sep 06, 2013
omicron: While agreeing it is important one learns how to go around tricky questiions, I believe that these are not the issues why people do not get hired. If you are one of the bests and the recruitment is based on merit, then you will be hired. Mentioning any amount does not determine how much you get paid, nor if you will get hired. My opinion though.

I think you made a good point there

1 Like

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by BlessedFellow: 10:12am On Sep 07, 2013
Knowledge of the expected salary of a position could be expedient though there are other criteria considered by recruiters in hiring a candidate.

When I was asked same question in an interview with one of the FMCG coy some years back, I told the panel I believe they would meet my expectation and money was not my prime motivator. The chairman of the panel asked me to mention a value, that it would not be used against me so I told her it should be more than 100k. She said that mean I will be happy with 101k and we all laughed over it. I was given the job a couple of weeks later.

If I were to interview for an international jobs, I will tell the interviewer money is not my prime motivator but if he/she insists on a value, then I will give him/her the salary range for the position in consideration.

1 Like

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by nsukka: 11:35am On Sep 07, 2013
@blessedfellow, was d final offer above 100k? Kindly give us a range. I actually did an interview recently & was in d same spot, got called after d interview for d next stage( meaning I am still being considered), but no info abt d salary yet.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by BlessedFellow: 12:45pm On Sep 07, 2013
nsukka: @blessedfellow, was d final offer above 100k? Kindly give us a range. I actually did an interview recently & was in d same spot, got called after d interview for d next stage( meaning I am still being considered), but no info abt d salary yet.

@nsukka: it was about 130k but I had to decline the offer for other personal reasons.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Goldenheart(m): 4:33pm On Sep 09, 2013
Sorry bout that

I ve never thought of doing interview in any firm.

Buh I cud use the question too.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by GboyegaD(m): 4:37pm On Sep 09, 2013
This is the reason why it is good to know the income that commensurate with whatever position you are applying for before hand so that you are not caught off guard. That way, when asked, you can state the minimum of the range to an higher amount you desire. If a firm needs you for the service you can render, they sure would employ you.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Tattooboy: 4:40pm On Sep 09, 2013
pay me anything jo! Morning TV shows don tire me.

6 Likes

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by slap1(m): 4:43pm On Sep 09, 2013
Same thing happened where I went for an interview today. I left the field blank. The interviewer insisted, so I wrote down something. I ended up getting a little more than that, but the interviewer (a senior friend) said I should write something bigger next time, that I'm a man! Finally, I got the job. (na part-time job sha, waiting for FG/ASUU)
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Truckpusher(m): 4:47pm On Sep 09, 2013
fabby26: If you're asked on how much your remuneration will be or you wished to be paid on a lucrative job interview for a multinational company or a big firm. Is this really a question or a test to put you through? I have a friend of mine that was asked this question by a white man after he must have answered all other questions. My friend feared to mention any specific amount but rather just declared intention of not putting remuneration at fore-front but rather more on delivering his role. He came out thinking he will get the job, but unfortunately failed.

So I ask What will one that is posed with such question say? Mention any amount(minimum amt in figures) or just wave this issue of remuneration like my friend did. Please I need a concise answer to this. Thanks
Here is your silver bullet........You don't tell interviewers what you're going to be paid as your monthly salary unless you're a seasoned professional hired to perform a particular duty ,but if you're coming in as a freshman ,lacks experience, fresh from school and needed to be trained on the job to gather the necessary experience to function accordingly in your new roles and set objectives and deliver.You can only say this to an interviewer ,...'pay me what is commensurate to the level that i'm being recruited for'.....the single reason for this, is because all co-operate bodies already have a salary scale and growth index based on job performance for all job groups/employees and remember that your interviewers comes from the HR department of the system you want to join, that means they already know what your benefits are because they work hand in hand with the ERB (Employee Relations and Benefits )......have a nice interview wink

4 Likes

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by agrovick(m): 4:51pm On Sep 09, 2013
Fp tins
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by TheCareerTimes: 4:53pm On Sep 09, 2013
Some recruiters / interviewers will insist that candidates mention a salary, so it's advisable for anyone going for an interview to have researched what people in similar roles get paid, or at least what the average salary is at the level at which the candidate is interviewing for (that is if you cannot find out what the specific company pays). On one hand, you don't want so sound greedy, but on the other hand, you don't want to be taken advantage of (how many employers would say to a successful candidate - "we will double the salary that you asked for"?)

It's highly unlikely that your friend got rejected because of the salary question, though! smiley.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by borntobegr8t(m): 4:56pm On Sep 09, 2013
$1000 thats like =N=157,000 equivalent for starters...don't be CHEAP wink
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Jesuspikin87(m): 4:57pm On Sep 09, 2013
Bookmarked
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by dbucas: 5:01pm On Sep 09, 2013
THE COMPANY HAS SALARY SCALE OF EVERY POSITION IN THE COMPANY, SO LET ME BE PAID ACCORDING TO THE SALARY SCALE OF THE POSITION THAT I WILL BE OCCUPYING. CHIKINA
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Tuntheycr7: 5:05pm On Sep 09, 2013
Tattooboy: pay me anything jo! Morning TV shows don tire me.

Frustrated unemployed youth.
Sorry e go better, you'il hav testimony soon

1 Like

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Tuntheycr7: 5:05pm On Sep 09, 2013
Tattooboy: pay me anything jo! Morning TV shows don tire me.

1 Like

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by xynerise: 5:09pm On Sep 09, 2013
Tell them ''I heard that your firm is fair to her employees, you can pay me based on my qualification or what you think is suitable for my qualification''
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Nobody: 5:11pm On Sep 09, 2013
Wen asked hw much u will like 2 be paid by ur employer..always try 2 bargin ur salary wit dem in a proffessional way..its a test by ur employer 2 knw if u ar good in negotiation becos sumtime in d future u will be negotiatin business 4 ur company

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Urgent Tips On How To Answer The Interview "What Are You Bringing To The Table / Nigeria Customs Recruitment Examination Centres 2019 / Sokoto State University Massive Job Recruitment - 95 Positions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.